How do you store fabric in a sewing/craft room?
Teresa S-j
I am looking for ideas for storing fabric in my new sewing/craft area. I want to be able to see the pieces (mostly small for quilting) without having a mess. What ideas have other Houzzers come up with?
yoboseiyo
are they fat quarters or those cinnamon-bun like coils?

if they're fat quarters, there are many options.
you can fold them flat and stack them in bookcases by color, you can wrap them around hanging file holders and store them in file cabinets, you can roll them and store them like you would bottles of wine.....
December 6, 2013 at 7:14AM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
HERE Design and Architecture
My MIL keeps hers in open cube shelving.
December 6, 2013 at 7:15AM      Thanked by Teresa S-j
annmarie2
I have a metal shelving rack (the type where you can decide the spacing between shelves. Fabrics are in plastic bins, sorted by color. Any theme/holiday specific fabrics are in a separate bin (not by color). I find that having the colors separated allows me to look through the greens for example and find just the one I need. Solids are kept separately.

Another option would be to keep them in slide-out bins - the type you can get at Container Store or Ikea. Here's an example:
]

The only distinct advantage I can see of using the bins is that they're more mobile if you want to bring them with you to a group project.

Happy sewing and, as my mother always said, "she who dies with the most fabric wins!"
December 6, 2013 at 7:16AM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
December 6, 2013 at 7:31AM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
bubbasgma
And in a PERFECT world!!!

December 6, 2013 at 7:31AM      Thanked by Teresa S-j
bubbasgma
Teresa- How big is your room? Do you have a floor plan?
December 6, 2013 at 7:35AM      Thanked by Teresa S-j
Linda
My mother has her fabric in a long floor to ceiling closet with wire closet shelving and bypass doors. I think the closet is probably about 12 feet long and 16 - 18 inches deep. Within that space she arranges them by color and type. The notions, patterns, books, magazines, etc are stored in a large walk-in closet on the other side of the room. Including the closets, her space is probably about 12' x 20'

If you want to do anything involving shelves, remember that fabric is heavy and you will need to think about how to support the shelves. My dad made special brackets for her shelves because the standard brackets weren't sturdy enough, even when mounted into studs.
December 6, 2013 at 7:53AM     
bubbasgma
Linda...Your mother is a very lucky woman to have so much storage space!
December 6, 2013 at 7:59AM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
Teresa S-j
Thank you for such great ideas!
December 6, 2013 at 8:04AM   
bubbasgma
Teresa- Have you ever used pinterest.com? Search there using "fabric storage", lots of great ideas. I use the site for quilting ideas as well. Happy sewing!
December 6, 2013 at 8:09AM   
Teresa S-j
It's a really large room - 20 x 20" w/low ceilings (about 6.5") There is a fireplace at one end and a kitchenette along the side. There are track lights and more can be added as needed. It also serves as a guest room -- it had been my daughter's apartment, but she has moved out.
I am in the process of clearing out my daughter's bookshelves and have bought two plastic bins with many drawers for the DMC floss. But mostly it's a big open room -- or it will be once I've gotten it all cleaned up.

As for the fabric - most of it is fat quarters that I have washed and ironed flat. Many are in little rolls.
December 6, 2013 at 2:19PM     
Teresa S-j
I am off to check out pinterest.com. Thanks suggesting it!
December 6, 2013 at 2:41PM     
bubbasgma
Teresa...Sounds like you have room for a GIGANTIC long arm machine someday! I had a larger room too, and then my daughter moved home. LOL!
December 7, 2013 at 8:35AM     
April 20, 2014 at 5:36AM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
litehearted
Billy Bookcases are on sale for one day only online today! http://modkidboutique.blogspot.ca/search/label/IKEA
April 20, 2014 at 5:39AM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
Mary Otto
I store all my fabric on hangers on a closet rail. That way, I can see everything at a glance. For projects in progress and already cut, I use the jumbo Ziploc bags that have built in handles (picked mine up at Lowes). I store the pattern, thread, notions, and cut fabric (and scraps) together in the bag, and slip it over the hook of a hanger, and in the closet it goes with the rest of the fabric. This has worked much better than losing things in piles.
April 20, 2014 at 12:30PM     
Katie Gooding
Yardage goes on hangers and in a closet. Fats get folded and put on end (like they are filed) in shallow bins with lids so I can rifle through them. Cotten scraps are in another bin jumbled up. home dec scraps in another bin, and felt for costumes in yet another. In the past I have tried having stacks of yardage just folded, or stored on bolts, but I find the hangers are easier to go through and topple over less.
April 20, 2014 at 1:16PM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
Rider66
For 1 to 2 yard pieces, I wrapped them around comic book protector pages. I think you can get them on amazon.com, but we have a comic book store in our town. I'm ashamed to say that I had to buy four 100 count packages for just the yardage. I won't live long enough to use all of it, but isn't it fun?
April 20, 2014 at 2:46PM     
mfwolfe
You didn't mention any windows in your sewing room. When storing fabric keep in mind that it fades when exposed to any intense light. I have roller shades on my two windows and only open them occasionally. The fabric is stored in clear boxes under the cutting table. Ruined a really wonderful piece of fabric once. Learned the hard way.
April 20, 2014 at 3:47PM        Thanked by Teresa S-j
Teresa S-j
Thankfully (?) natural light isn't an issue in this room. It's in the basement and there are only two very small windows, both covered with curtains for privacy.
April 20, 2014 at 4:56PM   
color ideas for front door?
White house, dove gray shutters, estate gray roof....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Need help for designing bedroom for my young girl(16).
Its total empty and plain bedroom 14"-15" I want to...
Just want a place that's relaxing!
Being a junior in highschool is stressful with lots...