The orphaned window
smugsy1122
In my open space family room, I have a half-height window above my dry-bar that has only a temporary window treatment on it, because I am not really sure what to do with it. I would like to tie the treatment in with the ones in the family room, but am not sure how to do that given the height of the window. The family room windows have a roman shade with a sheer and drapes layered on top.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?
Fenstermann LLC
Nice headline...it seams that you don't have a consistent window treatment on either your windows nor the door...The best way for you to tight this room together is by using curtains or roman shades for all 3 windows and the door - Do not use a rod above a rod as shown in the picture. Color wise you are pretty much in the earth tone spectrum - stay with this in general and use natural fabrics...Good Luck
December 6, 2013 at 11:06AM   
Blindsgalore
Are you wanting to stick with the red tones/orange tones? I remember seeing the room a few weeks back for other window treatments...
December 6, 2013 at 11:14AM   
CellularWindowShades.com
You might start with a consistent bottom layer such as a cellular or roller shade then do drapes or cornice/valance over it. I personally would spend the money to get those custom since you can change out the drapes as you want to update or the seasons change. If you sew or want to get some custom draperies, perhaps use the same patterned fabric on all of the windows to tie them together. If you want to stick with sheers and drapes, they do make double curtain rods so they hang at the same height.
December 6, 2013 at 11:16AM   
Drapery Connection
Do you need privacy on your "orphaned" window or do you just seek to soften it with a decorative window treatment. One way to accomplish both these ends is to add a soft (and functioning) London roman shade to that window.
December 6, 2013 at 11:22AM   
smugsy1122
I noticed the mention of the different heights of my curtain rods. I have the top layer on rings and the sheers are on the pole. I like sheers that way since they have a "softer" look and the rings are more industrial looking. Since the sheers are opened less often and the drapes are opened everyday, this combination worked for me.

So if I do a double rod, the top inch of the sheers will be sticking up above the patterned drapes and that looked odd. If I hang the sheers at the same height as the top of the drapes, the rods will still be different heights.

Which would be the better option:

1) Put sheers on rings and get a double rod.
2) Hang sheers on pole on double rod so sheers are above drapes
3) Move sheers up so they line up with top of drapes but rods are still different heights
4) Leave as is.

Thanks
December 9, 2013 at 4:30AM   
CellularWindowShades.com
I see your point. I asked one of the ladies here that does our in home sales and she actually had a photo from the Boldt Castle in the 1000 Islands Region on the St. Lawrence River of this situation. I've attached it here. So lining up the panels themselves would indeed be better. If you really wanted to use a double rod, you might be able to get away from the rings on the drapes. I do like the pattern on your drapes, are they custom?
December 10, 2013 at 12:15PM   
Unify all the windows with a shade. then use valance and drapes or mock roman and drapes in the same fabric throughout the space. Layering all this will just make for a richer look as in the second pic.
Weston Residence
Box Pleated Valances with Buttons, Woven Roller Shades & Pleated Panels
December 10, 2013 at 12:32PM     
smugsy1122
I didn't even think about the mock roman. I don't need a functional fabric layering on that window. I can sew straight lines and a valance is easy enough for me. So I can handle the mock roman. Thx!
December 10, 2013 at 1:12PM   
Kristen Costello
Add some shades with bright colors and patterns! It will make the room seem more updated and modern! Maybe a chevron pattern. :)
December 10, 2013 at 4:59PM   
December 10, 2013 at 5:07PM        Thanked by smugsy1122
My Tropical Bedroom
I do not have any questions. However any advice would...
I NEED HELP FOR MY NEW BUILDING, A FOUR BEDROOM DUPLEX
I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY BLOCKS CAN BUILD A FOUR BEDROOM...
What to do with the front porch!!
We would love to have a more charming front porch....
Trying to fix a bad remodel...
This is my childhood home. It seems to me that at...
What to do with this outdoor space?
I love our small screened in porch--but hate how it...