need to freshen up kitchen and dining room

jmmbcDecember 6, 2013
Golden oak cabinets and dining room furniture. Would love to change it but that's not possible. Need color ideas to punch it up!
White cabinets would work well in the kitchen with your white appliances and your countertops. In the dining room, I might paint the bottom of the built in black along with the chairs and the table legs. Or you could paint the built in white like the kitchen and also paint the table legs white. I would change the wall color in the dining room to something lighter and consider updating the chandelier. I'd need to know what other colors are nearby (walls and furniture) in order to specify a color. More photos would be helpful.

Kitchen Transformation · More Info

Transitional Breakfast Room · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by jmmbc    December 6, 2013 at 11:50AM
jmmbc
I would love to go with black and white, but seeing as how we did the cabinets new only 5 years ago I am pretty sure my husband would have a heart attack! The table and chairs are solid oak and I would rather not paint those. Just looking for some color ideas to help make it look a little less boring!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 12:05PM
jmmbc
I meant to say color ideas for the walls.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 12:11PM
I can't tell what color, except somewhat reddish, your dining area is painted. The room seems dark which is why I suggested painting it a lighter color. But maybe it's just the photos which are dark.

You have nothing on the dining table. I suggest you add color there and also to the peninsula. You have a wire fruit basket that isn't big enough to make the right statement.
I suggest a large colored bowl filled with faux apples or pears, or it could be a large low basket filled with living plants. Check the size of the accessories shown below.

I like the pair of pitchers in the second photo and how the colors are repeated. I don't think the apple display on the table is big enough but the color is good. Pay attention to that repetition of color. You could do something similar with cushions on your chairs and some pitchers of the same color on your built-in buffet.

The third photo shows another kind of repetition, where you make a row of like objects down the center of your table. They could be a row of coffee cups, birds, giant pears from Z Gallerie, or who knows what.

Classic Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen View · More Info

Meeting Space · More Info
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 1:04PM
Five Star Kitchens
If you are unable to replace and renovate why don't you take a chance and paint your cabinets? Yes, it will require a lot of work but.. it can be done with patience.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 1:59PM
Where are these walls you want to paint. Could we please see some better photos?
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 2:05PM
jmmbc
The orange wall I want to paint and the wall with the bit of grey on it I would like to paint. The back splash is a cream color subway tile. The cabinets go all the way to the ceiling so there is very little wall space to be painted.Definitely not painting the cabinets, just the walls.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 3:33PM
jmmbc
The house comes with a extremely busy 7 yr old mildly autistic boy. Pretty things usually get broken here:(. The fruit bowl is there so that hopefully my son might actually eat the fruit!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 3:38PM
claudiann
I think if you would replace the clock and the mirror with art and add some window treatments it would look fine. If you don't like the color, then I'd pick my favorite. Your colors are so neutral I think anything would go well. Green might be nice to add some life.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 5:11PM
jmmbc
I was just looking at BM dry sage. And was thinking maybe the hearthstone brown for an accent on the wall where the window and mirror are. I agree the mirror has to go!
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 5:32PM
With your oak cabinets, I too like green, and suggest you use Sherwin-Williams Liveable Green. It's a light, sagey green.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jmmbc    December 7, 2013 at 10:14AM
Want to open up kitchen, dining and living room in our ranch home for
Need to remove walls, need new kitchen cabinets counters...
jdbartlett
Need Help w/ Our Living Room/Kitchen/Dining Room Area
We moved into our house a year ago and I was excited...
hailyxo
We messed up the kitchen/dining room..:( Help!!
We had wood paneling initially and painted it white...the...
Marie
Just bought a fixer-upper. Need DIY/low cost ideas to freshen it up!
Just bought our first home and we are super excited...
jennycolorado
To open up a dining room to the (already large) living room, or not?
Warning, long post..but please bear with me as I need...
jilljill24
Adding trim
We are going to add 2-1/2" trim and small crown molding...
74frank
Need help picking the backsplash for maple kitchen!
Hello, I had initially planned on painting my kitchen...
Remodel Junkie
Looking for kitchen experts to help with weird layout!
Hi everyone! Hoping to start a kitchen remodel soon....
Lrw2a
Exterior Colours
Need advice on proven two tones for exteriors. We...
Stan McDowell