Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldrubenstein

microwave drawers

ldrubenstein
10 years ago
anybody have any experience with these? recommendations or cautions?

Comments (10)

• sandkshouse
    10 years ago
    We looked into a microwave drawer when we gutted out kitchen this past summer. After trying some out and talking to a lot of people, we decided to go with an in-wall microwave. I'm sure others will disagree, but there is too much stooping with the drawer models for our comfort. Make sure you talk to some people that actually have them and see what they think.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I have a Wolf, but my entire kitchen is SBZ/Wolf...I really like it as we had little room for wall hung cabinets...fits nicely in island and easy to use.
  • laurabristow
    10 years ago
    We are also considering one. Think it is smart so it is more on level with our kids age 7-13.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    We moved ours from above the stove and put it in a cabinet with doors in our island. We like that it's hidden away from view. We only use it for warming up stuff and popping popcorn so the fact that we have to open doors to get to it is a non-issue with us.
  • PRO
    JandB Kitchen Designs
    10 years ago
    H1 ldrubenstein,
    A quick note about our experience: Brigitte and I consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have literally designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....
    We have 2 Chicagoland locations and a Michigan location which cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders, N.W. Indiana and S.W. Michigan.....
    Anyway, we use them quite often and have for years with no problems or client complaints.....They have their place from a design standpoint but when used, they work quite well.....We've attached a few images from some recent kitchens where we've used them.....Hope this helps a bit!.....John & Brigitte
  • ldrubenstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    well I'm sold. thank you all for your comments. question; do the cabinets have to be custom or is the 24" (Sharp for example) fit into a 24" base cabinet?
  • laurabristow
    10 years ago
    Sorry not sure on that yet.
  • PRO
    JandB Kitchen Designs
    10 years ago
    As with other cabinets (like double-ovens) you'll have to coordinate mfr./model # with cabinet mfr..... Many will build cabinet at factory per appliance specs and final fit will be cut on-site during the installs.....Usually the appliance mfr. will recommend a cabinet size but you always need a spec sheet first.....If you take a chance, Murphy's cabinet law will step in and you'll be stuck with a cabinet that doesn't work as well as it should!.....John & Brigitte
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    My wolf fit in standard 24" cabinet base.
  • ldrubenstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you dclostboy. i bought IKEA cabinets (gasp!) but i am assuming microwave manufacturers cant expect everyone to have custom cabinets. there must be some expectation of standardization, no?