need help!! Great room with high ceilings looks boring
susanrobinson
Any ideas...I am stumped. I included pics from the 3 other walls to give you a feel of the space. The issue is the wall with the bookcases and television .Because of the lay out of the room, it can't be centered or it will block traffc flow. It needs something, I just don't know what. Thanks
Everything looks all smushed together. What's on the other half of that wall, behind the sofa? My first instinct is a longer console between the shelf units and spread everything out a bit more, but it's hard to tell without seeing the whole space.

Good job styling your shelves, BTW. They look great.
3 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 1:47PM
OK, I think I see now. Is the sofa backed right up against the staircase?
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 1:48PM
I keep looking and thinking of new things to say. LOL. The space isn't boring at all. It's really quite beautiful. But, it's in an odd location and doesn't look functional the way the furniture is arranged.

Is this the only place in the house for the TV? Have you tried the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace and facing the TV? And what is opposite the TV? Is there another space there, or just a wall?
1 Like   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 6, 2013 at 1:55PM
susanrobinson
It isn't. There is a 3 foot walkway between the sofa and staircase. Thanks for the compliment. It is a new build and I am finding it hard to make my décor from my previous home fit in.
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 2:08PM
susanrobinson
there is cable access and power above the mantle...but I would have to push the sofa up against the staircase and we would still probably get a stiff neck.lol
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 2:10PM
susanrobinson
I think the photos don't show the layout well ...let me post more
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 2:11PM
I should have read more carefully. I see you said the console/bookcase arrangement couldn't be centered. And I think you're right; your photos are not giving an accurate picture of the space. Try standing on the stair and shooting down and see if that helps.
0 Likes   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 6, 2013 at 2:21PM
nukiegirl
Yes I would love to see what is opposite of the tv how far the room expands. My greatroom is a wall of windows and then I have the tv and fireplace a few feet apart on the same wall. I dislike when people think their tv looks good above the fireplace. Yes neck strain would be a huge issue to avoid at all cost! Your choice of colors are awesome and classy!
1 Like   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 6, 2013 at 2:26PM
Design Freedom, inc.
your arrangement and styling looks cozy - good job! i agree with groveraxle to move the sofa so it faces the TV instead of the fireplace.

one way to add more coziness is to use paneling/trimwork to make a room within the room. add trimwork to create paneling behind the TV furniture. use the height of the fireplace wall to carry a "picture rail" or "crown moulding" across the wall behind the TV, then use a "column" to stop it before it reaches the lightswitches. you can use paint subtly (glossy vs flat) or forcefully (paint trim quite different from wall surrounding).
1190 Royal York
Bonus Room
Peninsula
Master Bedroom
Living Room

a very different approach - the big space seems to overpower your coziness. since you are trying to re-use your old furniture, how about adding height to the bookcase towers? mimic the size of the windows & drapes. have a carpenter make you a cabinet base about 24 inches high or so, and then stack your bookcases on top of the new bases. add a wood valance across the top, perhaps add some large artwork above the TV?
1 Like   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 6, 2013 at 2:32PM
susanrobinson
more photos sorry so dark. used my cell phone and not the greatest photos
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 2:40PM
hayleydaniels
The high ceilings make the walls look bare and empty. Maybe you could find some sort of art work to go in that blank space such as a metal scene or something similar.
1 Like   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 6, 2013 at 2:45PM
Meghan
I'd try moving the sofa so it's facing the tv and try the chairs where the sofa is now or situate them on either side of the tv. Your have a great space it just needs a little tweaking :) your entertainment stand seems so small on the large wall. Taller shelves would help add height. And mounting the tv higher.
1 Like   December 6, 2013 at 2:53PM
purehome
Hi, you have some beautiful furnishings to work with- it's just a matter of bringing cohesivity to your design. What I would suggest for the wall with the two shelving units: I would place some form of shelving in the middle- above the tv. This will eliminate the "gap" between them that is giving that wall a sense of emptiness while creating a built-in look.

You can purchase single shelves at your local home improvement store-- it would really complete that wall. As an added bonus, you can display family photos and some beautiful baskets or other decor on top. I will include some examples.

Happy Houzzing!

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com

Dover Wall Shelf 20"

Victorian Cube 3-Piece Shelf Set

Corona Crown Molding Wall Shelf, 60-Inch, White

Europe2You The European Home Rush Bread Basket

GO Home Ltd Country Chic Seagrass Baskets, Set of 3
2 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 3:02PM
susanrobinson
wow! you are all such a great help! Thank you!
2 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 3:48PM
susanrobinson
any other ideas out there?
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 5:11AM
leelee
Those book cases simply don't work. A much longer console would be much better.
3 Likes   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 7, 2013 at 6:01AM
leelee
Think about painting the mirror over the fireplace a charcoal color. It's so white against the rustic fireplace.
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 6:05AM
It's counterintuitive, but I think leelee may be right. The bookcases, while gorgeous, are a bit dwarfed on the wall. Let me do a little Photoshopping here and see what you think.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 9:17AM
Taller bookcases, TV incorporated in an art wall, birch tree decals, tone-on-tone stencil:
3 Likes   Thanked by susanrobinson    December 7, 2013 at 10:17AM
susanrobinson
wow! love the art collage!! Thank you for taking the time to do this! Amazing
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 12:23PM
susanrobinson
I love the others as well!
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 12:25PM
susanrobinson
Leelee, I do agree about the mirror. I bought it because of the shape and size. I am still contemplating what color to paint it. The mantle is stained with a medium red brown stain that I am not happy with. I am thinking coordinating both the mantle and mirror.. I am in the process of repainting the walls and am holding out on making a decision on that until the walls are done. thanks for your input!
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 12:30PM
susan, of the Photoshops above, I also like the art wall best. That surprises me because I usually dislike art hung around a TV. But it does seem to be the one that best fills the wall and makes it feel complete.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 12:37PM
erinsean
Groveraxle....can you make her shelves and unit under the TV dark...all I see is bright white. Her coffee table is dark and I think the mirror over the fireplace could be painted dark also. I too love the picture collage but trying to help her with what she has now.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 12:40PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I don't like the scale of the shelving on the vault wall, that, and the TV take away from the general appeal of your space. Is there no family gathering room for a TV.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 12:41PM
Angelina Vick
I think the art collage has the most balance. Great mockups Grover.

I had a client that used a piece of my work in her art collage, BW like this set.
She used a mixture of BW and color. With the color of your walls, I think the BW
will make the strongest statement without overwhelming the space.

A few ideas.

This one has no texture. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-dill-3-version-2-angelina-vick.html
This one has a texture. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-garden-of-your-mind-bw-angelina-vick.html

I also have a mixture of colors in that series, if you want to incorporate color. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-garden-of-your-mind-2-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-garden-of-your-mind-4-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-garden-of-your-mind-1-angelina-vick.html

This medallion series has a lot of BW pieces: http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/ornate+designs+and+medallions/all
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 12:49PM
susanrobinson
sustainable...we had the units from our previous home. They flanked the fireplace. Ikea made, but I lit them and added crown to make them look custom. We have a bonus room with a tv, but spend most of our time in this room. I was contemplating making some artwork with swing doors to frame in the tv so I can close it up when not in use. But all of the components like the cable box stereo system and so forth are a bone of contention between my husband and me. The bookcases help with that issue. I don't mind the look of them and they work but the empty space above them is the issue for me. Thanks!
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 1:03PM
susanrobinson
beautiful art Angelina!! great ideas
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 1:05PM
Angelina Vick
Thank you Susan! =)

One thing about groupings, choosing one color for the frame creates a little uniformity, which is usually a good thing.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 1:16PM
Âłį Âłãssãdę
Nice
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 1:31PM
mcbriec
I 200% agree with Leelee that the scale of the tv and shelving is way too small for the height of the wall. If possible, it would be good to move the bookshelves to a smaller space where they fit better and to get a much bigger console for the tv.
2 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 1:54PM
panamstew
they make bridges to match your Ikea bookcases... That might help! Will fill in some of that space above the TV
2 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 3:36PM
Need help with great room with high ceilings
I desperately need some help with my family room. Just...
js2004
Need help with lighting options for 16 foot high ceiling great room
New construction, contemporary design, spacious great...
mamajo51
Need help for design ideas for our 900 sq ft boring great room
Heres the situation. Have 900 sq ft great room built...
Jason Yeldell
help needed with boring great room
Need some ideas of how to finish the living room. Is...
Michelle Baker
I need help with a large/high wall in my great room
Currently we have a very large 3 piece wall unit with...
Mary Muchka
Should we remove the stone?
We are remodeling our rental property and not sure...
ouraustinhome
rredpenn
Is it a good idea to buy velvet sofa
I have to move and buy a lot of furniture, including...
mimi944
Unfinished (and then custom finished) Kitchen Cabinets?
I'm looking for advice about buying unfinished kitchen...
orangecamera
help in tv room
Working on revamping my parents tv room and trying...
sweeps22