I need to cover working radiators. Each one is a different size.
pgatton
December 6, 2013 in Other
want to keep them as efficient as I can.
studio10001
You have a number of options: stone tops, grilled cabs, console tables, custom bookcases/shelving units. Check in ideabooks for more ideas.
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 8:18PM
Curt D'Onofrio
I don't recommend covering radiators ever, but if i absolutely had to cover them then the covering shall have louvers and a fan built in it so the heat does not build up to a hazardous level...go with a metal covering, NOT wood or plastic.

I'm thinking that no matter the material/style of the radiator covering that you choose it will reduce the radiators' efficiently. Putting a built-in fan may help because any covering impedes the radiator from radiating the heat
0 Likes   December 7, 2013 at 6:36AM
studio10001
Wood works fine, in reality, and efficiency is not really effected by covering, as long as there is space of a few inches for circulation, and venting built into the piece. I prefer the handwheels on the exterior for maintenance, but there isn't a particular need to improve function beyond that. The practice of encasing radiators is an old one, and is perfectly safe when done with common sense in mind. Though not an option I have personally tried, they are sometimes even recessed into walls to save space.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 2:26PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Just remembering Ray Bradbury's book "Fahrenheit 451" , the temperature at which paper/wood starts to burn. If a radiator never produces this much heat then a wood enclosure will be fine. Thanks to studio10001 for reminding me
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 10:25PM
Linda
actually covering a radiator can increase its efficiency because the major source of heat transfer is actually convection not radiation. So if you can increase air flow you can increase the rate it loses heat into the room. you need to think about how to channel air flow like a chimney. create a draft by having air flow in from the bottom and a place for warm air to escape
1 Like   December 8, 2013 at 9:07AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Will putting reflective insulation up against wall and behind the radiator help in radiating the heat towards middle of room ?
1 Like   December 8, 2013 at 7:01PM
need helps for my plain living room!
it is kind of plain. any suggestions
James Heaps_Nelson
mommag109
Please help with my dark living room full of instruments!
I'm trying to come up with the best design and furniture...
inmaryland
Need DESPERATE HELP for dining room and living room
I moved into my first house last year and am a single...
schmoo11
Is glass tile like this a particular "style"?
Is this style 3x6 glass tile backsplash considered...
ayeymg