chiquitav
I just built a home and I am having a hard time trying to decorate my living room. Any suggestions would help. I am looking for pops of color and I will be hanging my tv above my fireplace. My main focus is what to place on both sides of the fire place please help me. :)
chiquitav
January 17, 2012 at 8:17pm   
Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
Congratulations on your new home! Built-in bookshelves would add considerable drama and provide the heft needed to complement the fireplace. I would remove the white mantle altogether - it breaks up the natural beauty of the stone. As far as pops of color, assuming you'll keep your newly painted neutral scheme, bring in color through a patterned rug, artwork, some pillows, and one or two accessories (vases, candles). Keep it simple and easy/affordable to swap out if you want a change of pace. If you go a step further and purchase new furniture, consider a chocolate brown leather to further offset those pops of color and bring more sophistication to the room. And don't forget to bring in a plant - a great way to liven up any space. (P.S. - after posting, I see that the tv in this rendering is hung way too high - it should be at a comfortable viewing angle when sitting - I posted and unfortunately deleted the rendering before I could edit).
January 17, 2012 at 10:52pm   
Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
Here's an updated rendering. Remember to hide the cords - there are also wireless devices available that you might consider. http://www.nextdaytechs.com/blog/2010/05/wireless-tv-installation/
January 18, 2012 at 5:24am   
TanCalGal
I like built-ins on either side of the fireplace, too. If you hire a carpenter, you can begin designing the built-ins now so they contain shelving and doors that fit your style and are useful for the type of entertainment storage you need. I Love the crispness of the white mantel and I would absolutely keep it. The crisp white enhances the gray fireplace stone and crisp white is repeated in the window treatments, door trim etc. I would have the built-ins in the exact same white. You have beautiful half lights on the wall. I would keep those, too, so design the built-in shorter than the ceiling so you can keep the lighting. You can have the built-in half-way up the wall or a tad higher. Your colors seem neutral gray + brown with white & some black (TV, ceiling fan, clock, fireplace screen) and there is some color on the pillows, but I cannot see it. You might think you need an accent color, but I think a room in all neutrals is more sophisticated. Perhaps a slight touch of yellow.
Look at this gorgeous room, if you aded large black & white photographs with large white mats & think black frames your room would resemble this sophisticated design Tailored Sophistication Note they have those wicker balls and a subtle yellow large vase, those touches would be nice somewhere in your room. The coffee table, glass & black iron to repeat the black you have established is nice. More photographs on wall Plaza Towers Condo Renovation I think your living room and kitchen are combined. So add 1 to 3 yellow dishtowels for-show-only in the oven handle. Anthropologie has nice ones http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=670713&navAction=jump&navCount= Since the living room and kitchen is one room you can add another touch of yellow, but really you should have only 3 touches of yellow in this living room kitchen area
January 18, 2012 at 10:20am   
TanCalGal
continued I usually don’t use throw pillows in a room. White built-in idea
If you don’t want to spring for professional built-ins right now perhaps Ikea will have a size that is near what you want. OR you can make your own shelves: buy wood and have Home Depot cut to size. Measure each place on wall where you want shelves b/c walls are often uneven. Have cut about 1/4 inch shorter that what you measure. Buy furring strips at HD. Cut fur. strips for each side paint in the color of wall on one side & some color that matches stone on other. Paint shelves white. Place shelves on furring strips. This is a tutorial on how to attach furring strips to stone. I’ve seen internet videos on this, too. Just have 2 shelves cut at first in case you don’t think this will work for you.
January 18, 2012 at 10:21am   
bepsf
If you don't want to go the built-in route - You could eliminate the sconces and place a pair of Batchelor's Chests on either side of the fireplace with large, tall mirrors above, and table lamps on the chests...
...and a pair of chairs facing inward towards the fireplace and your centrally-placed sofa with a large cocktail table in the middle is always a nice arrangment.
January 18, 2012 at 10:23am   
bconnor66
Too much furniture in that size space. A couple love seats or a love seat with a couple of chairs would work fine, but it's obvious that you a have sectional that is too big for the room.
I would also tone down the mantel...the white is too much!
January 18, 2012 at 12:00pm   
TanCalGal
January 18, 2012 at 12:13pm   
kroche
I agree with bconnor66 - it's all too monotone. Ditch the Clock - it is very 1990's homesense. I would put the TV above the mantel. I would purchase some sheer curtains, (google Hunter Douglas Luminettes), buy a cool chair in a texture (try the knoll womb in the blue teal - www.knoll.com for knock-off try nude). I would even throw a paint color on the walls that complemented the grey - storm blue or go crazy and try some wall paper (also nix the scones very dated and useless) you could reroute the electrical and put a nice pendant light in the corner like (the modernica criss cross). Good luck - it's a good space - but could be awesome.

Cheers - K
January 18, 2012 at 12:34pm   
My Homeware Shop
a little bit dark ..
January 18, 2012 at 4:19pm   
Please DO NOT put the TV on the fireplace it ends up being a wirering nightmare and a pain in the neck. The TV should go on the wall where the two sofa seats are. Get a nice - longer than the TV - console for under the screen and keep the screen low.Then you can arrange pictures etc around that and the TV screen will blend in . Maybe four or five same size pictures about 12 x 14 . One on each side and three over top.Then nice short modern lamps on each end on console and a nice lux box for the remotes when not in use. Then matching three drawer chests - one on each side of the fireplace with a couple of floating shelves above ( glass would look great ) . The mantel should go or be toned down ( glossy black is classy) - the white contrast is too much. The big clock can stay on the fireplace - but another kind would be better- or a mirror. OK, now for the sectional - it looks comfy but it is just too much for the room.A smaller sofa placed in the same spot and two matching arm chairs on the window side. Add some nice textured drapes - even over the french door - something that can pull aside to use the door. The room colors are fine - just add some color accents in pillows etc.
January 18, 2012 at 5:23pm   
Jamie Jay
agree, too much brown in the room.
January 18, 2012 at 5:23pm   
Summerhouse Style
The TV on that fireplace will really detract from the architecture. At this point it will be really difficult to install the TV on the stone, and the wiring will show. I think that you should build or buy something to contain the TV on the only wall with no windows on it. I can visualize a sofa facing the fireplace, and two chairs facing the TV. I think you should have a chair and ottoman on the right side of the fireplace (it will be the reader's chair). On the left side of the fireplace there could be a console table to be used for display, and serve from. Personally, I think you need to at least consult with a local designer, and have a few floor plan options drawn up. A good designer will begin by asking you a lot of questions about your tastes and needs before dictating specific designs for your room. I could not even begin to select a chair or a window treatment without discussing your options with you!
January 18, 2012 at 6:14pm   
Redhead-Studios
What a beautiful room! Right now, you have a very "chopped right down the middle" focus and you already know you need some balance on each side of the fireplace...I would shift the focus to the window wall - placing the TV in front of it and changing the traffic pattern flow so that you are invited to move in and out freely. On each side of the fireplace use some mid height iron shelves with some nice full plants on the top shelf to add interest and soften that area...paint that mantle or remove it - it's a distraction. If you want color, you could paint the fireplace alcove back walls a brighter color or add a colorful rug. Wrought Iron, Wicker and Wood should be in this room...but don't try to mix too many colors in here - some turquoise or lime green would be interesting, but just enough to pop. And remember, in 6 or 9 months, you'll know what you really want! Enjoy your new home...
January 18, 2012 at 6:49pm   
joffler
Lots of great suggestions! Let me add a few more of my own. Agreed the furniture is too big, too many pieces and not quite the right style for the room. Your room is beautiful as is so I would consider new furniture--maybe a sofa with some traditional styling whose gentle lines might soften the abundant straight lines in your room (contrasting base boards, molding, door jambs, etc) and maybe a couple cleaner lined chairs to position nearer the fireplace so long as they can hold their own against the fire place. Soon they'll be cherished spots for reading in front of the fire. It's a cheaper alternative to built-ins and allows you to actually use that square footage tucked at either side of the fireplace to support your living in that space instead of for storage or display. But, hey, I think it would be a great room if you just got the right furniture for it and added nothing else to it but mounted the TV over the fireplace. Oh, maybe darken the mantel. Painted white, it bisects the stone-faced wall and visually pulls the ceiling down.
January 18, 2012 at 7:59pm   
chiquitav
oh wow! thank you guys sooo much. i am starting to get the idea. the sofa is going out the door because I am ordering new leather furniture. my husband threw that clock on the wall awhile back and it is no longer there. I am thinking about painting the mantle or removing it. this is our first home and we are a young military couple, so i know that this will not be our first home. i never thought about painting the back fireplace walls...that's a good idea. i see that i have a lot to work with and some great ideas, so please keep them coming. one thing i did learn from hgtv, is that you do not wont to over crowd a room with big things like that sofa, so i knew that i was getting rid of that...lol
January 18, 2012 at 8:04pm   
I forgot to tell you that the sconces and the ceiling fan are kind of country - so for a young couple a modern style is what to look for.
January 19, 2012 at 5:10am   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi chiquitav, wow, lots of advice - not a lot of great advice. Look around your room, your window trim, baseboards and doors are white. The white mantle is the only "light" you have in the room, and with the stone, this too feels very dark. I have attached some photos showing how you should proceed with adding white bookshelves left and right. The white will make the room seem lighter, brighter. If you go dark wood, then you must lighten the walls in the roomby painting them lighter-brighter. Easier way to do this is to go white bookshelves, tie-in the fireplace mantle. Regarding your furniture - not sure how people can say this is too big, you don't have a photo of the entire space - I'd put your money into getting great storage in the shelving, house the TV properly in this shelving. Do white to tie into the mantle. THEN see if you need new furniture. Please mix your fabrics, don't get all leather, leather can be very cold - so put a mixture of upholstery and leather to keep it warm. You also need to add more lighting. Uplights, floor lamps and great table lamps. Good Luck!
January 20, 2012 at 12:41am   
camurray
Love your advice Marie. Great advice. Wish there was a "like button" :-)
January 20, 2012 at 12:41pm   
jherbst23
I have to agree with Lefty47 on this, mounting the TV above the fireplace takes away from the drama of the fireplace! Also, the heat radiating from a fire wears down the the electronics and such very badly. You TV won't last as long there. Good luck! I love the room!
January 20, 2012 at 4:23pm   
Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
Marie has great advice and yes, white absolutely will brighten the room. My suggestions presumed you would change nothing about your color scheme, since it is a brand new build. But your room can use more contrast and light and lightening your walls would be the first step. If you put the TV in a built-in next to the fireplace, consider hiding it behind a sliding door so you don't have two big black boxes (fireplace and tv) competing for attention. Best of luck to you!
January 21, 2012 at 4:45am   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I say go for the TV over the FP & Marie's suggestions are spot-on. Have the TV professionally installed by Best Buy & you'll have no worries. Take Marie's advice about lighting & mixing textured fabrics with the leather. This can be a chair, pillows, area rug...with color. Also mix your texture in the bookcases - glass, wood, iron, books of course, metal, etc. Below is some traditional built-ins we've done...
March 3, 2012 at 11:13pm   
Design
I wanted to have a floor map of this house. Planning...
My house is too dark
We bought a beautiful Victorian in the country we're...
Narrow/small kitchen need help
Hi all, Attached here is the new floorplan of my kitchen,...
What does it need ?
What does my house need ? Seems dull and want to brighten...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...