Help with this wall
mariaed
Going from the upper floor, down a few stairs, you pass the bathroom before going out the side door of the house...you catch a view of this wall of the bathroom. BLAH. But I can't change the top of the window (long story). I love my drapes. But that big blank space below. Just feels awful. The budget for this room is low (so no complete renos despite it needing it). I know the garbage can there is not good but I haven't get found one tiny enough to squeeze into another space. Any way to make this view less unpleasant. (You don't usually see what's on either side I just put those in to give a bit on an idea of the room)

Sorry the photos aren't great. It's a tough place to back up in.
Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
Do you like 3d natural stone or engineered stone wall?Many kinds of patterns can be designed & carved.
December 6, 2013 at 7:28pm      Thanked by mariaed
dclostboy
A bright color from the drapes would add some fun
December 6, 2013 at 7:33pm        Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
dclostboy. What should I do with the bright colour? rug? (The drapes are not too bold in real life. Sort of medium intensity.)
December 6, 2013 at 8:00pm   
Genevieve
I would solve it with a long Venetian blind ,giving the look of a much bigger window ,adding 2 panels and the look is complete.
December 6, 2013 at 8:00pm      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
linkstar. I like them very much but I think they would be too much in this outdated, small, fairly ugly bathroom.
December 6, 2013 at 8:00pm   
mariaed
Genevieve. That is all the fabric I have. So I can't lengthen and I very much love drapes. Any other ideas? ( I still think about that lovely bedroom lamp you suggested with the birds btw)
December 6, 2013 at 8:02pm   
mariaed
if I put a rug will it just bring the eye to the blank wall or would that help?

Is there anything I could put in that barren spot below window or is it all going to look weird (to have like photos/paintings there)?

I've attached another view that shows how much floor you see as you pass (if you hover over it with the mouse that is)
December 6, 2013 at 8:06pm   
mustangme
Painting some wainscot with a chair rail as a boarder could add an interesting detail & would be inexpensive to execute
December 6, 2013 at 8:09pm        Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
mustangme. What colour would you suggest for wainscot?
December 6, 2013 at 8:10pm   
What about an old,fashioned wooden towel rack where you can place a nice towel,arrangement?
December 6, 2013 at 11:35pm      Thanked by mariaed
This is what I mean
December 6, 2013 at 11:37pm        Thanked by mariaed
croscher
Or if floor space is not available, layer towel bars on the wall. If you place an 18" bar over a 24" bar you can layer brightly colored towels. That will make the wall softer.
December 7, 2013 at 3:41am      Thanked by mariaed
hatetoshop
Wallpaper and roman blind. Can you stick the waste bin under the sink? You can always just keep the door closed.
December 7, 2013 at 3:49am        Thanked by mariaed
croscher
Something like this, but with your bright colors. Maybe with hand towels a different color than bath towels.

December 7, 2013 at 3:53am      Thanked by mariaed
CDR Design
Hi. I would

-add a trim piece under the window to make the window appear a little taller. The drapes should be the length of the window and trim combined. They are too long now, making the window actually appear shorter than it is. However, if you add trim, they may be okay.

-adding a towel bar and towels is the easiest. Make sure your towels are the same colors as in your drapes, so that the window and towel area are seen as one long space.
December 7, 2013 at 4:19am        Thanked by mariaed
CDR Design
Can you remove the window muntins (the grills)? It would make the window appear larger.
December 7, 2013 at 4:21am      Thanked by mariaed
indianpatti
I would change the floor to a solid color tile ... add wallpaper and coordinate with a new roman shade.
December 7, 2013 at 4:38am      Thanked by mariaed
brickln
Agree that the drape length is a problem. I would make simple shutters with the drape fabric, and paint the wall a brighter color within the fabric. Maybe add wall planters or quote decal? I'd also consider painting the cabinets to brighten up the space.
Stick the wastebasket under the sink.
December 7, 2013 at 4:58am      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
thank you! thank you! thank you! I am so happy to have some new ideas.

No space under sink for garbage so I will still have to keep working on find super tiny can that might slide next to toilet.

hate to shop--I would like to leave door open as it is part the source of light for the hall and it makes me happy to see those curtains.

cdrdesign--would I ever love to remove those bars! Also from the dining room window but sadly they are between the two panes of glass fused together, not a lying on top. The window is a bit weird as ground level is 4 inches below it outside. How tall do you suggest on trim (vertical height)? Is "trim" kind of like the baseboard? (The window sill is actually a bit of a ledge.)

indian patti -I hate the floor and agree replacing would be good. It is apparently glued to the concrete floor underneath it by former home owner. If you saw a close up it would make you cringe (gaps in grout, uneven, etc). however I don't have "grown up" living room furniture yet so the $ is being saved for that .

towels, trim on window would be in budget though.

brickln-what is a wall planter? The brown 'furniture' is very ugly and dated but for now I'm not going to paint, too much work (I dislike painting). Stay tuned though in a few years it will move up the priority list and I'll be back asking for advice ! lol

Do I need a rug if I put the towels? Functionally for the space's current use I do not need a rug, it would just be for aesthetics. There used to be a brown one there but it showed so much white lint that would stay despite vaccuming etc I got rid of it. I think I would want to avoid such a dark colour again.
December 7, 2013 at 5:44am   
CDR Design
No rug-----near a toilet, to me is unsanitary. Will only chop up space.

[houzz=The Woodshop of Avon[houzz=Historic Benton Park on McNair]

As much or little trim as you want. Some examples in photos.

To me the drapes are just drawing attention to the window. But, your choice. Since you want to keep drapes, make sure towels complement it. So, turquoise and salmon towels.

Trash can. I hate them sitting out. Look into something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/KV-Kitchen-Bath-Storage-Door-Mounted/dp/B0000ZKW6M
December 7, 2013 at 6:23am      Thanked by mariaed
December 7, 2013 at 11:34am      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
Hi all,
Well I got lucky today. I found some towels the unusual shade of blue green in the curtains. We'll see when it's light tomorrow. They are not the best quality but they will bring the colour there.

Is there a rule of thumb about height of towel racks off floor?

brickln--Wow those flower planter things are something else. I need to keep those in mind for other projects where light can reach them more easily than this room.

cdrdesign--I agree it's not great to have rug near toilet. The place I was thinking of putting the rug was in the middle of the room which may also not be far enough for you still.
Note this towel rack is closer to toilet than rug would be, and that to me is worse.
December 7, 2013 at 6:21pm   
CDR Design
Good point about the towels close to toilet also!! To me, your window solution is sort of temporary and based on the fact you want to keep the drapes.
December 8, 2013 at 3:55am      Thanked by mariaed
brickln
December 8, 2013 at 9:16am      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
cdrdesign. --very true. I'm excited to see what it looks like. I think it will make it a lot better. Plus, though there is a tiny standup shower in the corner no one uses it and there is a guest hand towel just above sink so I think (hopefully) people will just use that one. Then the towels become just decoration really.
December 8, 2013 at 10:47am   
CDR Design
Would love to see pics when you get the towels up. Thanks!
December 8, 2013 at 12:30pm      Thanked by mariaed
joycealaina
USE SHUTTERS TO FIT AND OUTLINE MOLDINGS TO THE FLOOR
December 13, 2013 at 8:23pm      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
Okay so I'd like to add the trim below window ledge as suggested above and put a towel rod below.
Bought the towels. Pic attached.

QUESTION 1: I'm debating whether to paint the trim (and soon to be added trim) around window white or just leave dark? Any opinions?

I'll attach other photos of the room (it's awful but I am not updating now).
December 17, 2013 at 4:11pm   
mariaed
the other areas
December 17, 2013 at 4:17pm   
mariaed
QUESTION 2: This towel rod matches the other in room but I think it clashes with towel and stained window, use a different dark one?
December 17, 2013 at 4:20pm   
CDR Design
I would not paint the trim white, since there is no other white trim in the room. Very dated towel rod.

I would buy 2 new towel rods to match your faucet. You can still use them when you remodel.

You can leave the hardware on the 2 cabinets for now.
December 17, 2013 at 4:25pm      Thanked by mariaed
gypsyrose17
Perhaps a wicker hamper spray painted one of the colors from your curtain. I used to have an old wicker hamper that you could actually sit on, it had a hard lid...(unfortunately wicker got chewed by puppy and it was unsalvageable)....haven't seen one that style for awhile though.
December 17, 2013 at 4:27pm      Thanked by mariaed
brickln
Trim should be the same color as the baseboard. I would stay dark to match the other wood in the room. Towel rack is fine!
December 17, 2013 at 4:29pm        Thanked by mariaed
gypsyrose17
You know, they have those wall transfers now that just cling to the wall...see them all the time for kids rooms, but they have other designs as well...could look into it and see if anything speaks to you...be sure to bring photo of bath with you.
December 17, 2013 at 4:52pm      Thanked by mariaed
croscher
I think painting all the trim white would brighten the room and be more consistent with the mood of those curtains. I think the towel rods should also be brighter (white perhaps). You need to decide a mood for the room and aim for that.
December 17, 2013 at 4:53pm      Thanked by mariaed
limontee
Dear, sweet, Maria. What a dreadful room! Whoever designed it should be publicly flogged! But, this is what you have to work with and I think there is a lot that could be done to make tiny bathroom a cheerful spot in your home.

Your curtain fabric is lovely and I can see why you like it so much. It's adorable and has so much personality! However, the length just does not work with that window and they MUST be taken down! They don't appear to be wide enough to cover the entire window so are not really functioning for privacy, they are just a nice spot of color. But don't get rid of them! Remove all the seams and wash them. While still somewhat damp, iron and starch them like crazy to get the folds out as best you can. Then sew them together, end to end, so you have one long length. Make a casing on the top edge of your fabric and mount a curtain rod. Before you put the length of fabric up, please do either remove that piece of wood or paint it white. After you have the curtain hanging, get about three yards of a coordinating ribbon, perhaps a deep coral. Grosgrain is good, but if you choose satin, make sure it's double-sided. Then, mentally divide the window into thirds. Cut the ribbon into two equal lengths. Take one length of ribbon down the back of the curtain and then bring the two ends together in front and tie a bow or straight knot. Do the same thing on the other side. This is a sweet and inexpensive way to give the effect of two jabots and a swag.

Now ... the fun thing about a tiny room is you can paint it very vividly and just have fun with a strong burst of color! Your flowers have four different shades of peach and coral. I would match some paint samples to these, pick the one that is the brightest you can live with, and paint the walls that color. Boom!!! There is nothing shy about you! The cabinet on the wall and the sink cabinet are awful, but they would be expensive to replace. So buy some liquid stuff at Wal-mart that is a liquid sander. Put that in the cabinets, and the mirror frame if it's wood. Then buy white gloss paint and put on about three coats. Doing this and replacing the handles will make a WORLD of difference.

So far you've gotten a lot of bang for very few bucks. I think hanging towels under the window is a great idea. Because you're not going to be able to match your curtains I would go with a pure white. Although there is Lenox pattern out that is similar colors embroidered in a bird motif on a white terry background that would work.

The trash can has to go. Period.. Get a hanging basket that has a flat back so it can hang on a wall. Hang it inside a cabinet door or on the wall by the toilet on the wall that can't be seen and use it for trash.

Of course you need a rug! You wash them! Since the walls are peach or coral, I would try to find a deep aqua one that will work with your fabric. Then, if you are having fun, paint the ceiling a very light tone of the blue in your fabric.

There's nothing you can do about the counter top, so we shall treat it like a neutral and ignore it! Put perky, cute utensil holders on it, you can always go with white china, and cute peach soaps and I think you've got yourself an adorable little bathroom and a cheerful spot to be glimpsed going up or down your stairs. Have fun and be thankful for your home!!
December 17, 2013 at 5:12pm        Thanked by mariaed
mfwolfe
Way to go limo tee. Wish you well.
December 17, 2013 at 6:19pm     
mfwolfe
Dang autocorrect. Limontee
December 17, 2013 at 6:20pm     
Need help for empty wall in great room...help!
I need help choosing how to fill this empty wall opposite...
NEED HELP PICKING OUT COLOR FOR MY KITCHEN WALLS.- HELP
I NEED A COLOR THAT WOULD LOOK GREAT WITH CABINETS...
Help! Need help with Family Room decor, lighting and wall color.
This is our family/tv/gaming room, need help with wall...
Wo verbringst Du am meisten Zeit zu Hause?
Was ist Dein Lieblingszimmer? Verbringst Du am meisten...
Living room unworkable?
I have two big teenage boys who like to watch TV with...
What do you think about this cabinet color?
I have a recently purchased condo with birch colored...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Can anyone help me find this color?
I have been looking for a color like this for my living...