Helpful ideas for the pantry
lpm05
I have a large pantry and the door is always left open ( by my kids), but it blocks the entry to the family room. I would like to hang two panels (preferably vintage doors) on barn door hardware right there but I'm am unsure if they will look alright because of the wainscot. I have never seen high quality bifold doors, so that is out...thoughts/ suggestions? Pardon the clutter...:)
Mean Design
What about two, narrow, hinged doors that swing in?
    Bookmark   Thanked by lpm05    December 7, 2013 at 6:05AM
lpm05
The shelving would prevent the doors from swinging in.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 6:08AM
olldcan
The panels would look great there but I'd consider removing the wainscot on that wall to really highlight the panels, cool idea!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lpm05    December 7, 2013 at 6:13AM
Mean Design
oh, it's not a walk-in pantry... I assumed. Well, they could swing out just as easily.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:07PM
happyasaclam
My grandkids leave our pantry door wide open all the time. I tell them to close it and they go and close it. If they have fled to parts unknown, I close it. No new doors or hardware required.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:38PM
Set their snacks on the table in a basket and put a lock on the pantry door.
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:42PM
cking280
My kids always leave the pantry door open too... I am forever closing it whenever I walk by. Is there a way to put a self closing mechanism on the door? I am off to look for something like that for mine.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:59AM
CDR Design
Wow. I agree with happyasaclam. Do you have rules in your house? If they don't close the door, whatever snack they just took from the pantry is returned. They will learn very quickly.

You could also use deco's idea. You can tell them, when they learn to close the door, they can have access to the pantry.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 6:09AM
chookchook2
A sign, "Please close this door". If teenage boys, get a lock.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 6:10AM
CDR Design
How old are the the kids? Is that a wine refrigerator I see there?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 6:16AM
lpm05
cdrdesign- that is a wine fridge- I took out the original desk drawers so we could slip that in- there was a hole in the wall already to run the cord through.
The boys are 4 and 7- we have rules, but I didn't think this was a forum for parenting advice. I was looking for design ideas. The door is 36" and barely clears the chairs when it is open. The table can't be moved because there is an exterior set of doors with the same clearance on the other side. I am really looking to improve flow between the kitchen and family room. If the door is open, you can not pass through. While it is not the end of the world, I would like to improve the flow. I like the self closing hinge idea but it doesn't change the space issue.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:04AM
reggiesmall
A hinged door is, in theory, a great idea. But I have to tell you that we installed it on several doors in our home for the obvious reason of wanting the doors to remain closed at all times.

Well, within a few weeks, I had had enough of the automatic hinges and had my husband switch them out.

I couldn't take constantly being banged as I was still walking in and out, especially with stuff in my hands.

I like your idea of a sliding barn door (you'll have to pick the style carefully), but you'll need to make sure that there is enough room on the right side of the pantry so that when the door is open or being opened no unsuspecting family member gets whacked with a door that they didn't see coming at them.

It's funny about parenting lessons, sometimes they come at us when we're least expecting them. And many times, that's when they often make the most sense. :) :)

Good luck.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:18AM
CDR Design
ipm, thanks for the additional information. It seems from your original post that the only problem was kids leaving the door open. I always try to find the most economic solution to an issue.

I see there are additional issues with the door. Thanks for explaining them.

I don't think there is enough room for a barn door. It would extend beyond the edge of the wall in the adjacent room (when opened).

What do you think of a double door? Like in this picture. Obviously not this style, but the idea. You should easily be able to obtain 6-panel double doors. If you cannot find the exact size, a carpenter should be able to cut down the doors or add trim to make the doors fit.

Looks like you have a beautiful home!

]
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lpm05    December 8, 2013 at 9:36AM
You could convert the current door to a bifold with proper hardware.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 11:59AM
curlycook

It sounds like you would benefit from converting it to a double door.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 12:16PM
babyblue1588
The barn doors are a great idea. The wainscoting shouldn't be a problem visually or functionally. The only thing is to make sure there is enough space on the sides of the opening to make sure that when the barn doors are open the pantry has full access.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lpm05    December 8, 2013 at 12:34PM
dkt3554
What about curtains? Hang a rod past the length of the door and use tiebacks or not. That way they can get in and will think it's cool pulling back the drapes and it will look good and you can always close it off when needed! Space issue solved!
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 1:43PM
dkt3554
oops, just looked at picture again. It will have to be hung within the door frame.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 1:44PM
Rustica Hardware
Hi lpm05, Bi Parting barn doors might work in this space. The concern would the wall space needed for the doors to slide over. It looks like you have one side of the wall shorter than the other. One barn door would need to be shorter if this is the case. If you like call us for advice on this we will be happy to help. http://rusticahardware.com/bi-parting-barn-door-hardware-system/
    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 2:30PM
lpm05
That is the plan! I will need a 6ft bar and two 20" custom doors that I plan to make myself . I think it's going to look great now that I've seen photos of others.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 1:25PM
Blue
I think that is one solution, but have you thought about others? Here's another potential solution in case you are open to it. take the door off, remove some of the drywall and trim to expose the shelves, and build new trim around it to look like a built-in cabinet. here's a link to some inspiration: http://www.thediyvillage.com/2013/04/custom-kitchen-pantry-reveal.html
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lpm05    December 10, 2013 at 2:36PM
Brenda
wonder if there would be room for 2 smallish pocket doors (the size of bifold doors) -- rigged up so they operate together (when one is pushed in, the other automatically recedes into the wall as well) ... then at least they wouldn't be in the way when left open, and it would look like a regular door (or bifolds) when closed. it would be a fair amount of construction probably, and I suspect the light switch would need to be moved ...

pretty kitchen by the way ...

Bookmark   Thanked by lpm05    December 10, 2013 at 2:43PM
judynieman
I have hardwood floors in living room and dining room which are open spaces. I have a colorful rug under dining room table. My problem is do I buy another rug with a different pattern? I feel like it is too busy since my sofa has a pattern on the fabric. What kind of rug do I use in my living room? My furniture is traditional and I have a black baby grand piano in living room too.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 2:49PM
Brenda
uhm ... judy? think you're in the wrong thread.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 2:51PM
Keitha
You can install a cool chalkboard door like this with a message to "Shut The Door"
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:25PM
design of a pantry and a butler pantry...HELP~
We are ready to design the butler pantry and food pantry,...
mommakatz
Help my Pantry!
I want to remodel this pantry but I am not sure how....
patbalcer
Need help with my kitchen pantry cupboard!
I have basically what was a square broom closet in...
cindyjoan
Kitchen - pantry + fridge wall unit help!
Hi, we just hadour kitche desgned, and we're having...
mennahassan
Help re-organizing and redesigning my pantry
We built a brand new house a year ago, and not a lot...
rachellucas
Need help with my foyer/living room/dining room
I'm looking to switch it up a bit. My livingroom/dining...
Susan Gruhn Mennella
matching paint colours
Does anyone know how I can get accurate paint mixing...
louwhitt
Should I just start over and buy new cabinets
A old Florida house with hand painted kitchen cabinets....
mxc6141
What would you do with these shelves and this space?! Go crazy!
This is a beautiful 130 year old house. Redone but...
Nicole Gibson
PAINTING TILE QUESTION
IF YOU PAINT TILE ON YOUR FLOOR AND U PUT A POLYURETHANE...
tamararene