Need ideas for this kitchen
Steven Capobianco
December 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Brighten and update look. Help
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sstarr
I would remove the pot rack and its greenery,
re-do the backsplash in a pale color (can't see whether this is paint or tile),
paint the oak cabinets white (using the Rustoleum cabinet product).
Remove the small island, replacing it with either: 1. a considerably larger island with 1' overhang and seating on one side, or 2. a large work table/eating table to replace the kitchen table and island you have now.
Refinish the wood floor, add new light fixtures, and you're done.
See my profile for some examples and ideas.
S*
December 7, 2013 at 4:55pm     
halfpint2
I think kitchen island is making the kitchen look to cramped, can you move it and turn it lengthwise, (Can't tell how wide it is.) How do you feel about white cabinets? I think a backsplash, something with greens, in a subway tile, (If you plan to keep the countertops.)
Maybe some pendant lights over the island.
December 7, 2013 at 4:58pm     
Christina
I agree with a lot of "sstar's" comments. Get rid of the pots and add a light colored backsplash.

You did not mention your budget but white/cream cabinets would drastically brighten the kitchen and a new lighter countertop that compliments white/cream cabinets would look great too!
December 7, 2013 at 5:05pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Good golly, how did you ever get that postage stamp island in that big kitchen? Instead of practicing ballroom dancing there, you definitely need to get rid of that tiny island and build a big one that extends forward (in the photo) in front of the white pantry/laundry(?) doors.

If the breakfast table needs to be turned the other way to make space for the island, that's fine. In fact, you may not need the breakfast table with a big island.

Another option would be to lower the end of the big island to 30" which is table height and have breakfast seating there. The photo below shows such an arrangement, but I'm envisioning it with the breakfast portion on the narrow end of the island, not the side.

December 7, 2013 at 5:08pm     
pcmom1
Can the two different flooring be done away with? Having just one throughout would unify the space.

I would create a bench in the bay window. Then expand the island and put your eating area around it. Basically, doing away with the kitchen table.

And need to update the pantry area. Those doors remind me of a bedroom closet. Can one half of the space be made into a wine frig/bar area and the other half pantry?

Sort of like this: Part of pantry is now counter space and a long island:

December 7, 2013 at 5:29pm     
pcmom1
Here is a pic of a bay window with a bench:

December 7, 2013 at 5:34pm     
PRO
I definitely agree that you need to change your backsplash to something lighter. Is it just a pantry behind the doors or a laundry also? I'd love to see the pantry part done with doors as seen in the photo below.

December 7, 2013 at 5:36pm     
PRO
Glass Tile Store
Agreeing with halfpint2's ideas. One of the main things making the kitchen look dark is the backsplash and counter, if you're up for switching those up for lighter colored choices you should have a brighter looking kitchen without even having to paint your cabinets white
December 9, 2013 at 7:42am   
Kevin Strader
That island looks like it was a left over cabinet. Definitely do something with that. Previous posters have given you some good ideas on that. I would try to work with the existing cabinets. White cabinets are much harder to keep clean. Do a backsplash that adds some "POP" to the room. Add some hardware to the cabinets. Repaint the walls. There are lots of things you can do that don't cost a fortune.
December 9, 2013 at 8:16am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Adds bigger Piece of granite to island with a over hang so 2 counter stools can go in front. Pick one with a lot if movement in a light color. Add a stainless mosaic for backsplash all around. Put roman shades on all windows. Remove pot rack. Dated. Add pendant lights over island 2.
December 9, 2013 at 8:38am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Flooring is biggest problem. Either the tile or wood not both.
December 9, 2013 at 8:39am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Paint, Try any gray from Benjamin Moore. All are great, paint whole area, for a updated look.
December 9, 2013 at 8:40am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
New dark wood table with leather high back chairs. Go round table.
December 9, 2013 at 8:42am   
PRO
LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
Hi Steven,

To brighten the look of your kitchen you might want to consider lighter cabinets, some uppers with glass will help too:

TRADITIONAL STYLE: DOMUS COLOR
2013 Collection 1
2013 Collection 2

Here's a more industrial styled kitchen, similar to what you have now:
Dutch Kitchens 1
Dutch Kitchens 2

If you're in the area, you should join us for breakfast and check out our free kitchen session every 2nd Saturday of the month: http://leichtnewyork.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration
You can bring your plans or photos and speak to the pros.

Let us know if you have any questions. Best of luck!
December 14, 2013 at 7:32am   
PRO
Subway Tile Outlet
Have you thought of a white glass subway tile to brighten up the backsplash? We would love to send you a few samples if you like the look. Visit our gallery of back splashes on our website for more ideas. Please contact us if we can help with anything or answer any questions.
December 14, 2013 at 9:50am   
More Discussions
Need help furnishing the living room
My living room is currently being used as the children's...
White ash woodfloor or brown plzzzz help!
Hi! We have a medium size apartment, having a hard...
What color palette/decor would you recommend for this living room?
What color palette/decor would you recommend for this...
Empty kitchen - new possibilities
We just got an allotment garden house! The next challenge...
Cuckoo clock with picture hangings
This clock was given to my boyfriend by his sister...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™