Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckysueellen

Need ideas for this eating area -walls and window treatment

beckysueellen
10 years ago
Hi there -

I am struggling with how to jazz up this area. This picture currently hanging on the wall isn't right, but we stuck it there when we moved in a few months ago to avoid a blank wall. I'm envisioning a couple of rows of shallow shelves on which to display some cafe-type artwork, but beyond that, I'm stumped. And I feel our curtains aren't doing this area any favors, either. What does this area lack? I'm open to all ideas! We have a craftsman-style house with lots of wood and very few walls to work with as it's a ranch style with an open concept, so I'd like to do something special here. Thanks for the ideas!

Comments (27)

• sabrinakhan39
    10 years ago
    Bright coloured curtains along with a bright painting would make this area more appealing. About your idea to add shelves, I don't think you have much of a space to do that & I feel it may be inconvenient while dining.
  • hatetoshop
    10 years ago
    Panels to the floor, but in a brighter, lighter colour. What are some of the colours you have going in the area? And why do builders stick light switches in the middle of the wall? I've got the same thing. I'm sure others can give you some ideas about your wall and colour.
  • bixx
    10 years ago
    since wood is very prominent in the house, i would suggest a bigger artwork or a big piece of mirror to reflect light. the curtains should hang all the way down to the floor. choose for example a nice light green textile with a cream print, or striped. whatever color you choose, it should be in direct contrast to the darkness of the wood. a lighter colored carpet, preferably matching the colors in the curtain would also help brighten the area, since the dining set is a dark wood color.

Lakarri Curtain · More Info

Green Embroidered Four-leaf Clovers Triple Pinch Pleat Dupioni Silk Curtains · More Info
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Becky. We can make this work. Your idea book is full of updated, bright areas. Yours is not and I am getting your realize this. Your place is saying "dated country" and it looks like you want "contemporary arts and crafts."

For now, could you please:

1) Remove the rug. It is too small and too dark. It is not large enough for the chairs to be pulled out and a larger rug would look awkward.
    2) Remove the art. Dark and dreary.
    3) Remove the drapes (too short and dreary.)
    4) Remove the runner. ]
    5) Remove the plant in the corner.

Once you do that, you will feel better already.

Then

1) Do you need the blinds? If not, remove them?
    2) Why do you need drapes?
    3) This seems like an open area. Are there drapes on the other windows? You cannot hang drapes here in isolation. You have to consider the other windows in the vicinity.
    4) Do you use this table regularly? Do you need all of the chairs? Could we remove the end ones? It is a little crowded.
    5) Is there a light fixture above? If not, would you consider adding one?
  • housegal200
    10 years ago
    Yes to everything crdesign said. Love the four-leaf clover drapes, but you have to consider the other windows and the living room colors so that you get a coordinated flow. I round or long oval mirror on the wall where your art is would add light and a contrasting shape to the doorway and table rectangles. Get a frame that coordinates with whatever your curtain rod will be--silver, brass colored to add some sparkle. Can you add a light fixture over the table? Again coordinate with mirror frame and other items around the whole open area.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Should have window coverings for nighttime cold weather eating.
  • myiasmom
    10 years ago
    The room needs some texture, dimension and color. Mixing metal with wood would compliment it. You could use colorful metal wall art, then pull out a color from the artwork to accent the room with a dinnerware. Lighten up the color of the drapes. Anchor the room with a larger rug.
  • PRO
    CO Interiors
    10 years ago
    Definitely the drapes are too short. Full height drapes would work best. The one thing that I really noticed is that you don't have a ceiling fixture over the table. It's amazing how the right chandelier/pendant could transform a dining space. If you can, I would add that.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Agee with cdrdesign. You don't have room for the drapes or a properly sized rug. This dining corner seems isolated and cold, even with the fabrics you've added. To incorporate it into your open concept, I'd suggest a friendlier round table with chairs that are less rigid and square looking and with no "bars" that seem to say, "Keep out!" Unless this mission style is throughout your space, I'd change to warmer finishes closer to the trim color and rounder shapes. warm the windows with fiber or fabric roman shades, inside mounted, and you won't need drapes. Consider using a bench under the window as well to save floor space, as generally you need 36" between table and wall. A bench would allow you to break that "rule."
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    You have the perfect spot for a corner banquette. Look up corner banquette. So many to look at & love. I see this as French restaurant with colorful red poster art.

Presidio Heights Residence · More Info

Clayton Renovation · More Info

Nantucket Cliffs · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Dar's right about the corner banquette - just an extension of the bench I suggested. Remember it is easier to escape from the banquette with a pedestal or trestle table.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Becky, at this point, I think what we really need is more info.

-Can the table be placed elsewhere?
    -Can the end chairs be removed?
    -How often do you use that table and for what?
    -Are there any colors you have in the room already or wish to add?
    -Do the chairs have pads?
    -Do you need any window treatments or are they just decor?
    -
  • User
    10 years ago
    Now On Display · More Info

Stickley Monterey Mist Rug RU-1390 · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    I love the open windows;) Tell hubby he is wrong;) the table could use a chandy;)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Wow! It looks so good, Becky! Quick work.

You certainly could add a rug. It is just that the rule of thumb is that you should have enough rug to pull the chair out and the chair does not fall off the rug.

But…….how did you feel about the rug you had there? Did it bother you or were you okay with pulling in and out the chairs?

If you were okay with it and really want a rug, go for it.

I love that Stickley rug that Margo posted. Stickley is normally big $$$$, but you never know.

Up to you, but the art you liked above (one with the tree) just gets you back into that dark look.

Chandelier: it absolutely could handle a chandelier.

Try taking the star from the hall and hanging it where the picture was. Now, picture the star painted an awesome color……maybe that blue in the Stickley carpet. You could spray paint it.

Also a great place for a mirror.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I assume the area is open to the family room. Do you have any colors in there or do you wish to bring any colors in? I notice you like red in your idea book.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    If a rug 4' wider and longer than your table will run into the wall or cover the vent, you don't have room for one. Nice big window! Couldn't tell when it was all covered up.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Until you get a chandy, how about something like this on the table;)
    Ribbon Metal Candleholders · More Info
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Just a suggestion: I would try living without a rug for awhile. You feel it "anchors" the space. Well, what I am seeing is that the rug anchored the space, but it felt like the table was anchored on a very small island.

Maybe it is because this is my business, but that is all I could see "Gee, that rug is really small for that table".

How about something colorful on the table.

fill with red apples

http://www.wayfair.com/Modern-Day-Accents-Aluminum-Long-Wavy-Bowl-8692-MDAC1116.html
  • barnandbungalow
    10 years ago
    Since the wall is sort of "nooked" a few inches, I think it would be perfect as a feature wall with horizontal ship lap barn wood either natural or smooth boards painted white.

I agree with eliminating the rug, and removing the curtains.

I would even consider butting the end of the table up (this table or maybe a slightly narrower farmhouse table) against the wall and mounting a sconce there instead of an overhead hanging light. It would make the space more like a nook and it would be open and inviting. Good luck!

Cathy
    barnandbungalow.com
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Please put long art on a wall that does not have anything to anchor it, like a table or chest. It's so much better to put a long wide picture with color. There are many to chose from. Go at lest 4-5ft. If room on other side do the same, in same size and frame different print, but same theme.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Also take your panels to the floor. Looks really undone the way you have them. Get some with print in a cream background.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Put some slip covers in cream or a color like red on end chairs.
  • craljh
    10 years ago
    I vote for no rug
  • PRO
    Blindsgalore
    10 years ago
    Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Azure Tile · More Info

Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Kunas Patterned Jacquard · More Info

Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Kunas Patterned Jacquard · More Info

Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Natura · More Info

Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Penrose Sheer Burnout · More Info
  • kristinanadreau
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

paint your wood work, get better fitting light drape/curtain and get some decent lighting. try sconces and chandelier using candles, (votives or tapers) if you do not want to have an electric fixture. rug is too small and too dark. leave the floor bare.