Can't decide: Property Brothers or David & Hillary?

CharlieDog and FriendsDecember 8, 2013
Property Brothers has good reveals. But I kind of like David and sometimes feel sorry for all the stress heaped on Hillary, especially with those crummy clients.
hatetoshop
Property Brothers -- not as much drama.
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:25AM
I think a few less pillows on the sofa would be the best design improvement for this room;)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:25AM
hayleydaniels
Both shows are extremely fake. The PB's clients already own the how they 'settle' on, and having Drew show them some places is just to add drama to the show. That being said, I like the show, but I think it's highly unrealistic to believe you can have major plumbing, electrical or other issues and still manage to come in on budget. It hasn't worked in my life, and I doubt it has in other DIYers' who've done their reno themselves.

As for David and Hiliary, I don't much care for either one of them. And the clients' utter hatred of absolutely gorgeous properties because they can't imagine leaving some dumpy home is not believable. If you've watched more than two episodes, you know how the show flows--finally at the last property the relucant spouse finally likes it! Give me a break! That being said, I do give the show credit for acknowledging that if you have to spend money to repair water damage, bad plumbing and electrical, you won't be able to do everything you expected to.
17 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:41AM
indianpatti
I have to admit, I usually watch the first few minutes ... then flip to another show .. come back only for the reveals!

The Property Brothers are hot though ... I would vote for that show as better :)
30 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:48AM
Hot brothers with drama.... I'm in what channel LOL
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:50AM
solincia
I'm probably one of the few that doesn't find them overly attractive. While I watch the shows for the reveal, I prefer Rehab Addict, more my style. I grew up watching This Old House and Norm Abrams, much better shows in my opinion!!
36 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 7:14AM
dclostboy
No mention of Kitchen Cousins??? Now that's worth watching...even if you decide to mute the sound :)
19 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 7:18AM
Alison Coates
Love this room and think it's beautiful the way it is. Maybe just put the two stools together.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:22AM
Don't watch the tube, but wouldn't mind tuning in online to see before/after slideshows without sound - just nice music!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:34AM
southsound
Property Brothers, then Kitchen Cousins, then David and Hillary. Drama on all three, but David and Hillary are just too over the top. And I wonder what the owners pay for - is the labor free and the materials and furnishings not, or vice versa?
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:40AM
indianpatti
Hey Margo ... here's a pic of them, HGTV Channel.

Solincia, you don't think they are smokin' hot?!!
16 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:43AM
I like the smirk on the face of the one on the right lol ...Kind of look like Harry Connick Jr??
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:45AM
solincia
No... Not really. Sorry!!
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:45AM
jen046
Kitchen cousins! Blue-collar hotness!
http://images.zap2it.com/tvbanners/h3/AllPhotos/8870099/p8870099_b_h3_aa/kitchen-cousins.jpg
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:21AM
jen046
Their kitchen aren't so bad either!
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:23AM
ncreature
Well both shows are extremely produced especially Love It Or List It. But if were judging design I'd go with Hilary Farr over the brothers. Hilary is a true credentialed designer who runs a firm apart from tv appearances and rarely misfires. Her design background is evident. Drew and Jon do good work but occasionally misfire from a design standpoint. When you put them (or the kitchen cousins) up against true schooled designers like Candice Olsen or Sarah Richardson it's no contest. It's pretty apparent on HGTV who the true practiced designers are (Sarah, Tommy Smyth, Candice, Michael Payne, Sabrina, Tanya, Allison Victoria, Danielle Bryk) and who the contractor/decorator/enthusiasts are (Bromstad, Cousins, Property Brothers, Rehab Addict lady, Mike Holmes and just about everyone on DIY Network).

Unfortunately HGTV caters to the DIY crowd not the Luxe/Architectural Digest crowd. So most real designers sort of wince at the number of people on HGTV masquerading as design professionals and how fictitious the process is presented. Crucial members of a design process like architects are often omitted outright or everyone who isn't a designer is labelled "contractor" instead. This is all intentional to make everything seem more accessible to the average Joe. Everything is also tilted heavily toward renovation and simple decoration as opposed to design.
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:47AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I watch both because I am addicted to construction/decoration shows but of the two I prefer the Property Brothers. I like the way they do tailor their design with the homeowner and they do show the potential in run down ugly houses plus they are cute too.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:55AM
solincia
Oh!! Candice Olsen--I love her designs, she has such an amazing eye! She did a baby's room in toile once, it was amazing!
17 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:11AM
Andrea Prasch
Property Brothers. I agree less drama and not too shabby to look at either. Another HGTV hottie Scott Mcgillivray from Income Property. Love his show as well. ;)
13 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:39AM
Interiors International, Inc.
Property Brothers definitively. Better design, more like the real world, Except we have about a 4 month waiting period to get a permit. I'm not sure how they get theirs so quickly.
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:50AM
hayleydaniels
Interiors International, they get their permits that day because this is reality TV.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 11:23AM
trebinje
hahaha, good one hayley!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 11:39AM
Lynda
Love Property Brothers - and Income Property. Scott is hot! Even though some of the HGTV shows ARE fake and staged (House Hunters - where the people already own the home prior to the show recording), Jonathan on PB has said that their show is in fact real.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 11:52AM
nancycronk
I like them all. And yes, the Property Brothers are smokin' hot -- especially when they are wielding sledgehammers. Youza.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 12:00PM
sunnydrew
I am glad someone brought up these shows. I love HGTV, but wish they would return to simply having good interior designers on. I am very bored with all the many, many repeats of House Hunters, PB and LILI. I like watching Income Property, because I do learn things. Scott is easy on the eyes too. I really miss Sarah Richardson, the best of them all; David Bromstadt and Candice. Ok, HGTV are you reading this ????
22 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 12:08PM
I like prop bros. But, some of their furn designs are not the best. Hillary-always puts a great room together. My fav is stillCandice Olsen. Not sure if she is still on the air?
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 1:53PM
P.S. I don't think the prop bros are that great. Nice twins,but not soHOT !
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 1:59PM
laurielynne
Sunnydrew, Sarah has a new show called "Real Potential" which doesn't include Tommy Smythe. It's a combo of real-estate and design which I don't find as interesting as straight design. As for the OP I like the Property Brothers and I love Hillary's designs on Love it or List it, however I cannot stand the clients. They all seem like educated people, but for some reason they don't seem to understand that form follows function in a house. If you don't have a solid foundation or sound electrical or plumbing features then you cannot reasonably expect to spend your budget on design with those essentials lacking. Their unreasonableness is irritating to me. And while I'm on the subject of being irritated I'm also incredibly annoyed watching people who reject perfectly sound houses on the basis of paint colour, carpet or the fact that the appliances are white. And since I'm on a rant if I see another show whose finished design product which includes dark wood floors, dark kitchen cabinets, beige walls and insists that double sinks in a vanity is de rigueur I may scream.

Phew. I feel better now.
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:24PM
hatetoshop
The "must have" attitude toward double sinks in vanities -- drives me nuts. How often do you and your partner brush their teeth at the same time? It is, simply, just another sink to clean.
12 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:09PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
hatetoshop, it is more about having "your" stuff by "your" sink.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 4:34AM
PirateFoxy
Only place I've seen a double vanity really make sense was a bathroom shared by siblings - boy and girl close in age. Bath and toilet were in an additional room from the sinks, so each having a sink and not having to wait to get to it in the morning really helped keep the piece.

In a master bedroom I think I would rather have more counter or storage space or a bigger shower.

Property bros are cute but watching love it or list it with my mom is more entertaining.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:14AM
hayleydaniels
laurielynne, I'm 99% sure the silliness displayed by the homeowners of LILI is poor acting on their part in order to get their home renovated at a lower cost by the network. It took me watching about 3 episodes to see how it follows a script: one partner absolutely LOVES the home regardless of serious structural issues and the like. The other spouse wants nothing more to do with it, and is ready to move into anything so long as they move. When David shows them perfectly acceptable homes, the spouse who's playing the part of wanting to stay in their home HATES absolutely everything. I saw one episodes where the wife hated the most beautiful hardwood floor on some silly pretext that was laughable! Anyone who knew the plotline could see how fake the whole thing was. And by the time David works his butt off to find the home this spouse will like, he/she finally starts to soften, and finally thinks this last home is okay.

The other thing I hate about the show is how David gives them the listing on their updated home. He'll tell them that the house was worth say $500K, and now with the improvements, it's worth $600K with an increase in value of $100K. As an accountant, it galls me to hear them act as though the home has increased in value a $100K when, in fact, the increase is the difference between the new assessment and the cost of the renovation. If you spend $75K to increase the value $100K, you actual increase is $25K from an accounting point of view. At least on Sweat Equity they calculate the increase to the homeowner correctly.
18 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:36AM
anothercarolinagirl
Drew and Jonathan, Hot twin brothers at that's. We owe their mama some thanks.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:40AM
southsound
Haleydaniels - Totally agree with your actual equity comment - I am not an accountant but the way LILI "calculates" the increased equity makes me crazy as well. Hello! You need to deduct the costs from the increased "equity" to arrive at the real number!! But I guess it makes for better TV the way they do it?
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:08AM
sunnydrew
Watching the shows produced in Canada, which I think they are, makes me question the quality of the inspection officials. It seems like disproportionately more homes are so poorly constructed and not-to-code. Especially the real old duplexes. The prices are so outrageous for what they get. Most of the HGTV shows have a very predictable script and conclusion. I am dismayed by the comments by young people looking at seemingly perfect homes which they "poo-poo" because the homes do not have granite or stainless appliances. Who says you are entitled to that in your first home. they all sound like a bunch of spoiled wanna-bees, with no patience. I agree with one of the comments above about Rehab Addict. Nicole Curtis is a gem and so, so talented. She is such a hard worker and visionary. I have not found any shows with Sarah Richardson recently, but loved her sparring and discussions with her side-kick Tommy. They really taught me a lot about how to pull things together.
10 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:20AM
foreverfarm11
I like love it or list it, just because I like to look at the houses that are shown, and then the reveal....I only watch it if I tape it, because I have to be able to ff.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:21AM
Shakúff
David and Hillary are so unlikeable in my opinion (my favorite is the shot of David "searching" for properties in his car, every time). Property Brothers for the win! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:28AM
Brenda
Carter Oosterhouse needs at least an 'honorable mention" on this list of hottie HGTV guys ...
17 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:28AM
printesa
Brenda, you are so right. I remember whey they showed his wedding,,really nice,,in his backyard. All these guys are handsome:)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:52AM
tennisanyone
Who remembers Christopher Lowell? Wasn't he charming in his own way too. You can do it!!!!!
22 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:03AM
armygirl1987
I remember him tennisanyone..
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:08AM
tennisanyone
My LR and DR were actually showcased on his show l9 years ago when I was looking for an idea on window treatments. He held up a picture that I had sent in but blew it up. I remember him saying " we will be right back with the White House Decorator who will help a viewer". I was folding laundry and started to scream. I had already done my window treatments by then. It was 3 years later. They said to do exactly what I did, cornice with side panels. They recommended tapestry but I did gray silk. I still have them up. I loved him and thought he was the real deal.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:19AM
CharlieDog and Friends
Haha, HayleyDaniels! So true. And sometimes I wish both shows would spend more time showing their design choices. Everyone sees through the manufactured drama, already.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:49AM
tennisanyone
HGTV bring back real design and not these fabricated shows. They are getting old!!!! I loved Christopher Lowell's segment when he showed real homeowners problems and really helped them as he did mine. You felt like you learned something.
13 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 6:15AM
susie0607
I need to mention someone noone else has. Vern Yip. Love his work along with Candice Olsen's.
13 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 10:09AM
hatetoshop
"Watching the shows produced in Canada, which I think they are, makes me question the quality of the inspection officials. It seems like disproportionately more homes are so poorly constructed and not-to-code. Especially the real old duplexes. The prices are so outrageous for what they get."

Sunnydrew -- Many of the shows are filmed in Toronto, where I live. Believe me, the housing prices truly are outrageous. And the duplexes/homes, many of which are over 100 years old, have had so many un-permited renos over the years -- you never know what you'll find behind the walls.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 10:41AM
Wendy
Candice and Sarah are my two fav.
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 10:58AM
tsmit103
I miss Sarah/Tommy and Candace. They are excellent designers; Candace with her lighting magic and Sarah/Tommy with their flair for repurposed/refinished antiques as well as their ability to take the standard big-box offerings and turn them into wonderful design elements that stand out. I just love their innovation.

The Property Brothers do amazing work rehabbing older homes into the coveted open-space designs that are so popular today. The show is pretty formulaic as is Love It or List It, but I am always interested to see what each does with the final design.

Is there anyone who is more abused than Hillary? I know it's only tv, but really! Just what do the clients want her to do when she finds the basement has been leaking for 40 years? She does some pretty amazing work.
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 11:35AM
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
Mike Holmes now is doing "Making It Right" along with the H~O~T Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict are the best and are REAL too! Did you see "Flipping Las Vegas" with the staged satanic worship house makeover? The kitchen cabinets were covered with plastic before the shoot to save them. When the carpet was removed there was a pentagon painted on the floor. The cast is crazzzzzy !!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 12:17PM
Allison Lee-Clay
I really dislike the faux hostility & smacktalk. It's not even clever! Just so artificial & pandering to that silly 'conflict is 'good entertainment!'
I can do without that nonsense.
I'd rather watch anything that assumes I'm an adult & doesn't need to say everything 3x to fill the timeslot.
Let's have a show that shows clever ways of fixing problems, not bitchiness
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 12:23PM
Kevin Strader
I like Rehab Addict, Property Brothers, LILI and just about all the shows. I understand they all have a specific formula to follow. I watch them to find ideas for our house. I know it's all staged (remember WWF Wrestling :)) but I still like to watch.

True story. We were watching Divine Design one night (Sunday) and Candice painted a LR with a white fireplace a color called Straw Hat. The next day my wife left for 2 weeks of training in Texas. On Monday I went to the show's web site and got the color name and on Tuesday went and picked up the paint at my local Benjamin-Moore paint store. I spent the next few days painting our Living Room/Dining Room/Foyer "Straw Hat". It had been a darker tan. Well she gets home from Texas and we're standing in the foyer and I'm waiting for her to notice my fabulous paint job. Finally I got frustrated and asked, "Didn't you even notice?" She said, "Notice what?" I said, "I painted all three rooms with that paint you loved on Divine Design." Her response, "Oh, I noticed it was lighter but I just thought it was because you had the lights on." So much for my big reveal. LOL. By the way, a number of years later, the walls are still "Straw Hat".
17 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:44PM
mmilos
The worst part about "Love It Or List It" is the stupid appraisals after completing renovations. The return is always estimated at 120-200% of investment. That rarely is the case. 50-80% of a good investment is more likely.
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:51PM
aaaaw Kevin, I like your story. My husband would never do that, how sweet!!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:57PM
mmilos
House Hunters prototypical comment if they can't find anything wrong in particular is always "kind of small". Haha!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:58PM
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
If one more couple on HGTV walks into a perfectly usable kitchen and says "What? No stainless steel appliances!! This is a total gut job!" I will scream.....For goodness sake, the appliances STILL WORK!! Oh wait...they cannot possibly work if they are not stainless steel.
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 3:10PM
blaze757/lovebee
Solincia, I would have to agree with you . I also like Rehab Addict she is more realistic and more practical . Also I like the idea she goes to vintage and antique stores and find good deals. Far as the property brother's they do good work but I find them to be extremely expensive. The average American person does not have 150,000 to 200,000 to do renovations to a house. If you notice on these shows most of the renovations are 20,000 and better. 2 Thumbs up to you Solinicia on your comment
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 3:55PM
blaze757/lovebee
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant. Marla I believe a lot of this stuff is staged. You are right no need to gut out a lot of these kitchens because no stainless steel appliances. I tell you if people listen to everything on these so called decorating reality shows, they would have you gutting your whole house out down to the beams! which is not practical. 2 thumbs up you on Marla on your comment.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 4:05PM
blaze757/lovebee
Marla Oppenheim Decorating Consultant. Type era I mean 2 thumbs up to you on your comment.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 4:10PM
dkvhaus
Yes, listen here HGTV: Bring back Sarah Richardson (Tommy Symthe too) and Candice Olson!!!
(And I don't mean at 3am!! Pacific time)

For those who are interested... Here are the "cousins"
12 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 4:29PM
tennisanyone
The cousin on the left is dating Genevive Gorder. I just read that.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 4:36PM
bailey82
My favorite show on tv is anything with Sarah Richardson and Tommy! They actually share design ideas without the fake drama on LiLI!!! I had over thirty shows with Sarah recorded and watched them repeatedly until my dvr crashed. I was so sad because most shows on HGTV are so fake!!! I'm sick of House Huntrers!!!
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:08PM
blaze757/lovebee
dkvhaus Yes Candice Olson was a good decorator also.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:37PM
blaze757/lovebee
bailey82 yes these decorating shows can come a bit tired sometime
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:40PM
blrussell
Just once I wish the property brothers would really give the client the whole house refinished, like they say they will. The "3" rooms that are made over are nice but usually a bathroom or two are not done and new paint, windows, and flooring gets forgotten in several rooms.
Love or list it is a bit dramatic...but in Hillary's defense some of the amount of money that she is given is so unrealistic for what is asked for that even without the "big problem" there would be no way to complete the job.
Agree that design shows need to come back.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:44PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Miss Christopher Lowell, love Candice and Sarah.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:44PM
Amy Stokes
Sarah Richardson is the ultimate. I used her bathrooms from Design Inc as inspiration for my reno. No one does bathrooms as well as she does. Classic and yet modern.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:58PM
Melanie Hon
I love Leave it Bryan and Real Potential with Sarah Richardson.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:59PM
cthebadger
If someone at HGTV is reading this... I find the put-on, badly acted, overly dramatic shows a major turnoff. Property Bros definitely wins out over Love It or List it (David and Hilary)

Love it or List it used to be fun, but has become unwatchable, and also has probably faked some episodes. House Hunters has certainly faked shows. Property Bros claims that they have not.

The Brother vs. Brother competition show was terrible. Keep em doing what they're good at.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 6:12PM
vjs12
I loved watching Christopher Lowell. He had practical ideas for DIY people. He was the guest speaker at the Home & Garden show in Dallas years ago. I went and purchased his decorating book, "Seven Layers of Design". Great book. Remember Lynette Jennings? Her book, "Straight Talk on Decorating" is great too. I miss them and Candice. Property Brothers are easier to watch than LiLi.
10 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 6:13PM
mommickey
I love love it or list it so does my hubby and property brothers. real or not etc. it gives us averages joes ideas. I love candice olsen and sarah richardson. I love hgtv. Way better than watching any reality show awful behavior and drama. i wish there was a little less house hunters more sarah richardson and candace. I have not see there shows lately. I am sick of watching all the time people buy houses.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 6:14PM
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
People buying houses is inexpensive to film. No need to pay the average house hunter or realtor to be filmed!! Reality shows and competitions are low budget, too. Many of the designers who started on HGTV are now so famous that they have their own line of fabrics, wallpapers, and other home items. (I use Candace Olsen's fabrics and wallpapers all the time!} They have become major brands on their own, and cost too much now. No network can afford their fees and royalties.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 6:40PM
carolkelley
I prefer Property Brothers to Love It or List It. One of the reasons is that I can't stand the families on LILI. They have such unrealistic expectations that Hillary needs to meet. The families are also too picky when it comes to looking at a new house. House Hunters bugs me more though. The kitchen's gotta have granite countertops and stainless appliances, a big master bathroom, walk-in closets, an open floor plan and five bedrooms. It's fine to want those things, but do you need all that (including the 5 bedrooms) when it's just you two and the dog?

I prefer the design shows so much more. I miss seeing Sarah and Candace and other designers on a regular basis and check the HGTV morning lineup daily to see what's going to be on. Sometimes it is design shows, but this week it's been real estate shows except for yesterday when they showed Cash and Cari repeats. I love those! HGTV used to air a show that explored the history of a home. Maybe it was Cash in the Attic, but it was fascinating.

One time, Yard Crashers featured a house owned by the son of some friends of mine. I always love seeing that episode as it's like seeing my old friends again.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 7:58PM
craljh
whatever happened to the "G" in HGTV ???????
10 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 8:24PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I think those shows usually have too much drama. Too many of them want every house in the USA to look like California coastal style... so bright and gay.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 8:41PM
blaze757/lovebee
What I find interesting, most designers follow the same trend same colors to. It becomes boring . What happened to being different and create something new and exciting.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 9:35PM
carolkelley
Well, there was The Antonio Treatment and Home by Novogratz. Both shows seem to have disappeared altogether. Not sure that I'd want my home to be decorated by either antonio Ballatore or the Novogratzes though I did like a few things they did. I'd need to have the money to change their design to something less jarring fairly quickly.

I misspoke earlier when I said that the son of some friends was on Yard Crashers. He was on Curb Appeal: the Block. What happened to those shows? Where, indeed, is the "G" in HGTV?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 9:45PM
chungv
Property brothers
regina5697
I was and avid HGTV watcher, now not so much. Why? Too much House Hunters. Bored with it.
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 12:03AM
solincia
Speaking of Curb Appeal--loved that show! And who didn't love Trading Spaces! Shout out to Vern and Genevive, and when Hildi wasn't tacking vinyl records to the wall, she sometimes had a pretty good eye. Doug was just funny (now he was hot!). There was a show called "Room by Room" that was produced here in Cleveland,Ohio that was great too, practical ways to redo spaces (back when borders were popular!) but the homes they worked on we're average bungalows and ranches, that was great!
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 4:24AM
solincia
Oh and as to the house prices in Toronto--seriously? I don't know what income is like in Canada but whoa...
1 Like    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 4:31AM
carolkelley
Watching Property Brothers and Love or List It is maybe not the best idea right before you tackle a much needed renovation of your home. They can scare you to death with the problems they find!
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:50AM
lovliny
I agree with some of the other comments to bring back designers Sarah Richardson and Candice Olsen. I never watch Love IT Or List it anymore. It is so phony and staged. Missing real interior design shows and have had my fill of House Hunters, etc. HVTV was a favorite at one time but I rarely watch it anymore
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:07AM
mmilos
I think Love It or List It is so popular they had the creativity to include Love it Or List It Too.
It's the same exact show but with prettier, younger hosts. Haha!

The formulaic nature of the show is just too predictable. Budget is too limited to do everything and then an unexpected challenge comes up and they have to nix a whole room from the renovation. Here's a thought - what about being creative and find some cheaper finishes/fixtures to stretch the budget?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 7:08AM
mmilos
Genevieve Gorder is way too touchy feely/bohemian for me.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 7:14AM
hayleydaniels
I used to watch Christopher Lowell everyday, and learned so much from him. Some of his stuff was a bit much for me, but I learned basic principals of design I'm still incorporating in my home.

I caught the middle of the PB's new show Buying and Selling last night. It appears to be their version of LILI.

I also really like Bryan Baeumler, Nicole Curtis and Mike Holmes as they show what a home reno is really like, especially Mike Holmes.

If you're a DIYer working on your home, you'll LOVE Renovation Realities that follows homeowners own reno. This is the most realistic show I've come across as it shows that it isn't nearly as easy as these home reno shows make it appear. I especially appreciate seeing how tired the people are by the 4th day of demoing a room, and that tempers begin to flare--it's real life for once. So far I think I've only seen one episode where the project was finished on time, and that was the firefighter who put in a floating staircase, but he didn't put any railings on it. Other than that, most of the renos took about 3 times as long as expected which is my rule of thumb.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:12AM
Michele P
The down to earth humor on Prop Bros is refreshing. They genuinely joke around like one of your own brothers. Not bad to look at either- :-) I would love to see more Sarah Richardson on HGTV. Love her style--
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 11:53AM
Tiffany Verbarito
The property brothers stink
1 Like    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
pickyvicky
Anything that is NOT "House Hunters" is great. I used to watch HGTV all the time; keywords -- "used to."

Now I only watch it if I can't find something else on tv and something other than "House Hunters" is on. I cannot tolerate "House Hunters" one more second.

I love Mike Holmes, Property Brothers, LILI, Nicole Curtis, etc.
BUT.....
Candace, Sara ..... I miss all the designer shows. I miss "Curb appeal." I miss the old shows, too, such as "Room by Room," etc.

I also miss the gardening & crafting shows. Please, HGTV, teach me something.....and, I like to see "doing" so please stop taking so much time out of the show by showing stupid host "antics" & pleaseeeeee do not reshow the antic when you come back from commercial break. This is what makes your shows look "like visual canned laughter."
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:21AM
Tiffany Verbarito
Your house tragic
1 Like    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 5:14AM
lovliny
I just hope the powers that be and their advertisers are reading this to show how many viewers they are losing. The message here appears to be one that HGTV viewers want more intelligence and knowledge from your shows. I cringe when LILI is on - either version. I think viewers would rather aspire to a higher level of design even if they can't afford it than to see silly situations and budget problems and a one minute final reveal.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 5:46AM
woodrina
Solincia, I remember Room by Room! Matt + Shari, right? I can still remember some of the rooms they re-did! And with none of the manufactured drama. Anyone remember Decorating Cents with Joan Steffend?
11 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 10:34AM
Denita
The Florida Association of Realtors had the Property Brothers in to speak a couple of months ago at the annual convention in Orlando and the burning question was: do you do the rest of the house when you renovate?

The answer is: They do finish the entire home! They only show 3 rooms being renovated because it is TV and there are time constraints. The PB's also went into detail about their planning and permits etc. So, yes - it appears that they just do 3 rooms quickly; but, like all TV, there is more to it.

I miss Candice Olsen and Sarah Richardson's shows too...
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:12AM
victorianbungalowranch
I miss Decorating Cents--seemed down to earth and quite doable, although I didn't always like the results, and the host had a warm low-key personality. The Trash to Treasure part was nice too. And it was great to see something not produced in LA, Vancouver or Toronto!

HGTV has developed a formula and sticks to it, and relies heavily on Canadian shows. Too much emphasis on drama and script, and not enough on working through problems, respecting original architecture, and making sacrifices to stay on budget. They need to listen to fans that the fake stuff, especially the fake banter, is getting really old. The building permit thing must be arranged ahead of time for all those crasher shows and whatnot. I wonder if they actually come back in a week or so. And all this design in a hurry thing is just overdone and unrealistic.

Agree that Income Property and Rehab Addict is closer to the mark and more realistic, although I wish they spent more time showing some of the nuts and bolts rather than making it look easy peasy. Holmes Inspection and Holmes on Homes is pretty good too, but it will scare you half to death to watch that, and he goes farther than is required to fix things. And I don't always agree with his choices, like tearing out original fireplaces and porches and windows. But fixing anything, especially windows, takes too long for the cameras.

Liked Curb Appeal too and most of the stuff they did was fairly reasonable for the impact, and were usually respectful of the building and the neighborhood. Nowadays, the exterior is almost never included in the whole package in many of the newer shows, even when they are a total mess.

This Old House is equally bad in being overblown and unrealistic. It used to be more down-to-earth, but commercial pressures have blown things out of hand. I'm afraid that "Old House Journal" has gone the same way in many ways, although they still manage to get some decent information in there.

I have fanaticized about producing a more down-to-earth show called "Right Size Renovation" or something like that, and show people with similar houses take different renovation options, and actually respect the bones of the structure rather than just dismissing it all as dated. And focus on repair rather than smash and replace. And include some run of the mill places in small town America, as well as the suburbs where everything under the sun is readily available nearby, and urban sites. Unfortunately, I'm not well connected or terribly photogenic!
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:14AM
Barbara Stymiest-Colvin
I miss Christopher Lowell. He had a good show. I know that the hgtv shows are formulaic but I still like watching them. I really love Hillary on LILI and hate how crappily she is treated! The worst was this couple who acted surprised that there was old fire damage in their home and threw a fit because Hillary had to address it. Really? You're telling me that you never saw the charred beams in your attic? That never turned up on the home inspection? Please.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:36AM
tennisanyone
Maybe a good design show is hard to pull off. Look at Nate Burkus who was only on for a season. Either you connect or you don't. I think with Nate, he tried too many things, cooking, dressing women, banter with the audience., etc. They should just stick to what they are good at.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 1:29PM
Melanie Hon
I just went thru the next week's schedule on my PVR guide for HGTV here in Canada and there are 106 half hour increments dedicated entirely to a House Hunters of some sort (House Hunters, House Hunters World Tour, House Hunters Renovation, etc). In one week there are 336 half hour increments so that means that fully 31.5% of the programming is House Hunters!!! In comparison, there was 31 half-hours of Income Property (some are half hour shows, most are the newer hour-long episodes) and only 2 half-hours of Real Potential (Sarah Richardson). Not a single minute for Love it or List it or Property Brothers. They only air on the W Network in Canada, which is not a channel I am subscribed to.
    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 8:35PM
Alley Cat
I love Property Brothers and Love It Or List It, but it irks me how Hilary from LIOLI often promises the world to the homeowner when they are sitting in the trendy little cafe at the beginning, and you never see Hillary say the freaking obvious caveat to homeowners upfront that, "If we find something wrong, the renovation budget will go down as we will have to fix it," then during the renovation, all these totally normal old-house problems occur and suddenly all hell breaks loose, with the manufactured conflict and downright rudeness from the homeowners and Hilary's barbed responses. While fake, it still makes Hilary look like an unprofessional idiot who didn't cover herself and manage expectations and who has no people skills.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 8:51PM
Denita
You are so right Alley Cat! Well said. Maybe the producers of the show will find this thread and pay attention. Too much House Hunters. Not enough true design shows and not enough Income Property :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 9:29PM
grobby
Hope HGTV is listening. I like the rehab shows, but good heavens, how much rehab can a person stand. All the guys are hot and could tear my house down, any day. What I really want to see are the older shows, Dream Drives, Homes Across America with Joe Ruggerio
These were shot on location and showcased gorgeous homes, just like here on Houzz.
Have to agree that Sarah and Candice are tops. What happened to them?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 9:42PM
carolkelley
I've lurked a bit at the HGTV boards and it is just filled with complaints about their programming. If they're listening to the viewers, they just don't care.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 3:41AM
CharlieDog and Friends
I think it's time for "HouzzTV" :0)
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 5:12AM
solincia
I think we are all pretty much on the same page--let's get back to some "how-to" shows! Show me what style of drapes, how to pick colors, accessories, how to decorate around what I already have! Everything has moved from decorating to renovating!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 6:49AM
Lynnie
Property brothers because they are so nice looking, lol! Wish I could hire them. It is hard to find people that dedicated and with that sort of know-how. I think it is a great show.
    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:51AM
ncreature
I don't mind Mike Holmes as a personality (though recently Damon has done most of the work), but his shows are incredibly unrealistic and home inspectors absolutely abhor him because he gives their trade a bad name. In real life a home inspector adheres to 'first do no harm.' You can't just rip down a ceiling to find a problem. You can't tear down walls and rip off roof tiles. Most home inspectors are not contractors and don't have crews, they are consultants. Mike Holmes' show should more appropriately be about bad home inspections, but it is characterized as being about home inspectors in general which is misleading.

Also like I said before, there is a serious lack of true design professionals on HGTV and DIY network. That's not to say shows like Income Property or Property Brothers aren't entertaining television (and much better than endless House Hunters re-runs), but people have to understand that there's a lot more going on here than meets the eye. Four weeks to renovate an entire house is unrealistic (and even on Property Brothers half the time they don't make their own deadline that Jonathan promises). Shows like Kitchen Crashers or Bath Crashers (I like Alison, not so much Matt Muenster) also portray highly unrealistic timelines (3 days to renovate a kitchen? The drywall alone could take 3 days). Shows like Hawaii Life I don't even understand what the purpose of is.

The appeal of HGTV is to sort of bring decoration and interior design and renovation down to an easy to digest presentation where everything can be neatly wrapped up in a half hour. The pitch is always "i'll give you a few design tips to help you make your house look amazing." But the problem is that Sarah Richardson has a master's degree in Interior Design and Architecture. So does Candace. They run large firms with lots of resources (access to materials, textiles, etc) that the average person does not have. When Color Confidential was on the premise was you could learn how to work with color, only problem is color theory takes most people years to master, So HGTV sort of operates like a medical show telling you, "hey in 30 minutes we'll teach you to be a surgeon." And then jumping to the results with none of the process in the middle (as much as I love Candace's results, her show from a standpoint of actually learning something is garbage). I would say the best show for actually picking up a little bit of true design knowledge that could actually help someone would be Sarah and Tommy (Tommy's encyclopedic knowledge comes across often in quick little quips that if you catch them often provide lots of little insights).

If anyone is interested in a design series where you could actually learn a little something check out BBC Design Rules by Laurence Llewelyn-Bown
Fantastic series, entertaining, funny and you definitely begin to see how designers actually think.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:36AM
unwantedadvice
Did anyone know that Bill Beckwith, the carpenter from Curb Appeal died recently in a motorcycle accident in San Francisco? I was shocked to read that on CNN a couple of weeks ago. So sad.
    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:02AM
kculp102
What about Sabrina Soto? She does awesome designs on her show The High-Low Project. She has a good design eye, she also does projects, and really tailors the rooms for her clients.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:42AM
okdokegal
Have friend that was approached by PB, had recently closed on a fixerupper, and had the buckage to turn the house. They wanted him to be on show and yes, they would do the find two other properties to have him pretend sneer at/agonize over; then go ahead and do the renos and reveal.

Neither, PB or D&H, would rather just have someone come and give me a week off; I'm about willing to pay to have wiring run and sorted out.... and do drywall.

I also can't think of a 3 day turn around a room for any less than fifteen people cramming into that space, and all seasoned trade pros... or a 4 week full house turnaround, even with full contractor, subs, and crews going at it. I'll be lucky to be done by fall 2014. I'd like to have seen one of those shows come in and tackle my original bathroom project. In two or three days....

I agree about the recaps and replay the drama on the 20 min of the 30 min of show (rest is header, footer, and ads) so there's maybe 5 min of 'meat' to the show that you don't see repeated 3 times; and most of it is why bother to watch? This Old House originals, and New Yankee Workshop; at least I got to see people at work doing something. We know Unky Norm had more tools than most of us will ever have, but there was at least interesting side bits about getting his inspiration and visiting old factories and such still turning stuff out; etc.

Even the original Design Star was better than some of the later iterations; and where did David go? Um. At least here at Houzz we can visit reality :) hehe
1 Like    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 4:29PM
dstemple1956
Solincia - I like Rehab Addict too. This gal gets it. She saves more than she destroys, which is refreshing. And okdokegal, I have always thought that David was the best of the best on Design Star. Maybe he's so popular with his business that he isn't able to perform on camera as much and the old shows were the best shows. I would watch Gardening By The Yard for hours because I always learned something and was entertained at the same time.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 5:12PM
Barbara Stymiest-Colvin
Wasn't Laurence Llewelyn-Bown on the BBC Trading Spaces? Loved him! Thanks for the referral. I will look him up.
    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 6:54PM
hayleydaniels
AlleyCat, I bet the reason you don't see Hilary informing the homeowners that if there are structural problems, they'll be fixed before the other cosmetic items is because these people have no doubt signed a 100 page contract spelling all that out. I'm sure these people have to sign their life and the life of their children away to be accepted to appear on these shows.

Last year on Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell on ABC, he had one guy who I believe was a police officer who had to lose weight or lose his job due to being unable to do it physically. This guy had serious knee issues when he was examined at the beginning of the program, and really needed to not be doing the amount and type of exercises the program required, but he refused to quit. A few months later, his knees were so bad, he needed knee replacement surgery, but again, he refused to do it, and stuck with the 8 hours a day exercise program. I was very puzzle about this as I watched it until it struck me that if he quit, there had to be some sort of penalties he would incur such as having to pay for Chris Powell's time along with reimbursing ABC for renovating his home, and building him a home gym. I bet the people on all these other realities shows are bound by so many legal stipulations that they couldn't back out if they wanted to.
    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 7:15PM
njmomma777
Love hgtv but really losing my interest in these unrealistic staged scripted shows.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:24PM
pickyvicky
Did Sarah Richardson do a show back in the late '90's called "This Small Space"?

I used to watch that show all the time and I swear it was her.
    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:30PM
kathy
to the various posters commenting about house prices shown in LILI and Prop bros - welcome to Toronto area real estate!

I'm always shocked when I find out the house prices on House Hunters - why are those houses so inexpensive?!

I wonder how local municpal taxes compare - if over time prices even out?
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:08PM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
Sarah Richardson's first show was called "Room Service", then she did "Design Inc." before doing all of the shows with Tommy. I've been watching her forever!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:09PM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
@kathy, we pay much lower property taxes in Ontario than most people do in the US. However, it gets evened out with our exorbitant income tax and HST. The government always gets their money somehow.
    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:12PM
kathy
nothing sure in life but death and taxes.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:47PM
Does anyone remember Debbie Travis "facelift"? She decorated pretty much with paint only.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:57PM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I loved Debbie Travis! She got me hooked on painting everything!

I'm so sick of reality TV; I hardly ever watch TV at all anymore unless hubby's watching a Leafs game or a movie that catches my attention. HGTV needs to get back to it's roots and stop trying to compete with TLC (another reality-filled disappointment!)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 10:04PM
unwantedadvice
@pickyvicky, her name is Susan Crenshaw and I watched that show too. It was fun and interesting.

I would rather watch Property Brothers than Love It or List It. I can tolerate the twin brothers but not the others. I hate when Hilary is given some paltry amount of money to work with when the homeowners are willing to buy another house for like $2-300,00 more. Drives me nuts so I stopped watching. I really don't like the hour shows, much prefer half the time. Knock it out and get it done with!

I still watch House Hunters and House Hunter International. I enjoy seeing different parts of America and overseas. Heck, I remember when House Hunters was just from California! So, technically it has come a long way.

But I do agree with most posters that I don't watch as much HGTV as I used to. Not any interesting new shows. I do love anything Sarah Richardson and Tommy, her trusty co-designer. Although I am recording Sabrina Soto's show, she seems so sweet. Even Bang For Your Buck is good, as well as Curb Appeal.

But as with all networks, things change and evolve over time. Hopefully, HGTV will rise up and begin producing some more fantastic design shows as well as garden shows.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:18PM
smarterthandog
Property Bros win for best hair. In any event, these cable shows have way too many commercials.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 8:04AM
reba120
I like Property Virgins, both versions (Sandra and Egypt).
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:10AM
wyndyacre
I've only occasionally been able to watch HGTV programs as I don't have cable or satellite service at home, but like others, I abhor the fabricated drama of most of the shows and unrealistic results. I love Sarah Richardson and Lynda Reeves...both are very classy. I never enjoyed Debbie Travis. It always seemed to me that she would rip out gorgeous peices of antique craftsmanship and replace it with really cheap painted projects just for the sake of change.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:46AM
Jillian
Initially I loved PBros for taking a couple to their dream home and then slamming them, "ohhh! This house is 950k, and your measly budget is 400k. Time to start slumming it." I'll still watch PB if nothing on food network or cooking channel. LIOLI is boring to me, or maybe I just got tired of wondering why David is always using his laptop on the hood of a car. Get an office! At least find a Starbucks and use their wifi...
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:53AM
smileyface2013
I find "Buying Alaska" from the Destination Channel fascinating, and I love Jeff Lewis on Bravo. Far more interesting than any of HGTV's shows.
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
None of the shows are in the least bit realistic in terms of budget. Only show that is realistic is Jeff on Bravo. That show totally shows how awful and unrealistic clients can be & how great other clietns are who get it and let a designer do their thing.

But its a realistic portrayal of being a real designer. Real clients, not a huge crew sewing things and making things out of plywood & getting showrooms to give them huge discounts or stuff for free. NONE OF THAT happens in the real world because of a cheap budget. Noone has a huge crew working for nothing except tv shows. Its make believe!
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 10:02AM
solincia
I thought I had read that the budgets cover materials but not labor (although they'd never tell you that in tv!) and that it allows homeowners to get severely discounted remodels. I also read that in LILI they film two versions of the end either list or live, and the producers decide.
    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 10:54AM
solincia
Regarding taxes and house prices, the US is probably just as varied as Canada--it varies state by state, and then county by county, city by city.
    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 10:58AM
alex511
This is the second time I have seen CMR belittle unrealistic clients. I wonder why you would do that.
    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 3:22PM
smileyface2013
As a (retired) professional in a non-design field, I think clients can be unrealistic and horrible, and I don't think it's belittling that CMR stated that "fact of life".
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 4:42PM
carolkelley
I love Jeff Lewis on Bravo. I also appreciate how both Sanda and Egypt will try to get Property Virgins to have more realistic expectations on what they're money will buy.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 5:14PM
Kari D
I'm a fan of Rehab Addict. Much more my style.

Like Solincia said, property taxes vary upon location within the US. A few months ago we moved about 4 miles from our last place but crossed city lines. $2000 a year property tax difference.
    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 5:29PM
okdokegal
Lawrence Llewellen-Bowen was one of the designers on Trading Rooms, the BBC show, and he got moved to being host for years 7 and 8 after Carol Smillie (years 1-6).

Some of the stuff their designers did was just plain yeuk; but sometimes they weren't adequately informed (it seemed they had a six week or better runin before the show was taped) on some things, but. I can say that other than the general penchant of some for felting sweaters to make pillows and the like; at least I learned how to do some really neat faux finishes and affordable upgrades.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 6:16PM
kculp102
What happened to David Bromstad? He used to try to educate the viewers either on color combinations or how to place furniture. Anyone remember Lisa LaPorta and (Clive)I loved them also! Love Candance and Sarah also. But my favorite old school HGTV was Designer's challenge! I used to love that show!
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 6:46PM
carolkelley
David's got a of irons in the fire apparently. He's designing a collection of shoes for Naturalizer that comes out in the spring. He is also doing ads for Sherwin-Williams paints and was the mentor on the most recent season of Design Star. He's still painting and doing interior design jobs for clients, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 7:06PM
Tiffany Verbarito
I was kidding I love your color palette
    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 5:57PM
Hal Braswell
What amazes me is people plopping down $400,000 or more for 1,200 SF homes with wood siding .
    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 11:46PM
nashest
You have no idea how much I hate Love It or List It. My TV would prob';y be on HGTV all day most days if it weren't for this awful show. I hate the snarky hosts, the drama -- just have no tolerance for it anymore, if ever. Nothing to be learned at all -- Fixer Upper and Property Brothers, on the other hand -- love every show, and I am inspired by their work. I can't believe how many days HGTV devotes to back-to-back episodes of Love It or List It. BLECCHHHHHH!!!!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:06PM
nashest
And another thing -- I don't watch nearly as much HGTV now also because most of the really good, really informative and inspiring, shows are DIY shows, and HGTV doesn't bother to show them. The landscaping and curb appeal shows, Rehab Addict, Sara Richardson's show, all the good stuff -- not even there. The one redeeming factor -- Fixer Upper. Love that one.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:11PM
Monarch Sofas
PROPERTY BROTHERS ALL THE WAY :)) LOVE THEM ! one of the few shows i actually record because i love it so much. we've made sofas and sectionals for many hgtv shows, and it's always fun to work with the designers! love love summer baltzer and nicole facciuto ! pleasure working with them ! would LOVE to create something for my fave hgtv brothers :) xoxo eva @ monarchsofas.com

ps. fun story: the first time summer baltzer came to our OC showroom, years ago, i could have sworn she was one of our long time designer clients, since i was so familiar with her :) i just talked to her like i've known her for years, only to realize later that i only knew her from hgtv's design on a dime, lol. she was such a good sport, and has been a wonderful client since. anyway, thought i would share. xoxo eva

CASSIE STYLE - TRADITIONAL ENGLISH ROLL ARM · More Info

KENZIE STYLE ( aka NELLIE) - Chesterfield Sofa or Sectional · More Info

JESSICA STYLE - CLASSIC DESIGN · More Info

ANNA STYLE - TRADITIONAL AND SOPHISTICATED · More Info

EVA STYLE - MID-CENTURY MODERN · More Info

JANNA STYLE - CONTEMPORARY · More Info

Totally Custom · More Info

Totally Custom · More Info
    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 4:06PM
Rehab Addict and Fixer Upper are more my style. Miss Candice Olson et al.
    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 6:53PM
mcbmd3
So glad somebody revived this thread. I missed it the first time around; probably too busy having a nervous breakdown regarding having Christmas at my house. In any case, does anyone remember Designing for the Sexes? That charming British gentleman was able to incorporate the husband and wife's different styles into a cohesive look. He was so talented.
Property Brothers is good because the men seem genuine, even if the formula is always the same: have a budget but then find problems creating a fake tension. But Love It or List It is unwatchable now. I have no bad feelings toward either David or Hillary, a fine designer. But the formula is so predictable that the show is boring. That show needs to be 30 minutes, not 60. And for heaven's sake, bring back Curb Appeal. House Hunters is ok, but I get weary watching folks with low budgets wanting it all. Candace Olsen is terrific and I loved Sarah. That's my two cents.
4 Likes    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 9:46PM
rouxb
Property Brothers for sure. I "joined" HGTV discussion board just to vent how annoying I find "Love It or List It".
1 Like    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 1:49AM
stryker
It's hard not to love the Brothers. But which one more? Drew's a little better looking (for an identical twin), but who isn't attracted to a man who can swing a hammer? So I guess Jonathan wins. Oh hell, I'll take both of them.
    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 5:15AM
glschisler
I used to watch HGTV ALL THE TIME. Now never. Just stay on HOUZZ to see what the PROS say to help people. Wish more dilemma would show their "after".
    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:09AM
Melissa Freeman
I love HGTV. I think Hilary& David are way fake. Some of the things they say need work, Don't even need work. Makes me think, they say those things need work and don't fix all the clients "must needs" & pocket more money. Not sure how it works out.
I do like her design work over PB.
PB is fun to watch, they aren't so cute! But they Are so Funny! Their design work looks so cheap though for there grand budget.
Now their new show brother vs. brother. Forget it, It needs to go after season 1!
    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 8:12AM
excanuck
I agree with mccbmd3. Glad to see all the shows "back" on the air. But, while I only discovered the programs last summer, I've already seen so many re-runs, I sometimes feel it's a waste of time, and try to take advantage of those hours to get some "real" work done around here. . . . Also, while I count myself as one of the many who would cast my vote for the Property Brothers (especially the shows that focus on updating the owners' homes so they can sell them for enough $$$ to buy new ones instead of rehabing a dump and turning it into a buyer's dream home ) I also enjoy LIOLI – though only with with Hillary and David. (Find the attempt to copy their speech patterns by the cast of LIOLI 2 nothing short of annoying.)

Of all the shows, Curb Appeal and Block Appeal are my favorites; just wish there were some way to coax the cast from their office in the Bay Area down to our southern end of the state. I think 8 of the 10 homes in our tiny cul de sac (including mine) could use a little updating.

BTW, the comment about shows produced in Canada also caught my attention. I was almost 4-1/2 y/o the day my younger brother was born,. His arrival resulted in our eviction from the cramped 1- BR apartment we shared with the live-in babysitter who watched me while both my parents worked — forcing us to move into a "new" home across the street from our apartment building. I used the word "new" advisedly, since the house was at least 60 years old when we moved in. Revisiting it 42 years later when I returned for my father's funeral, gave me what Oprah would call a real "Aha Moment!

The house had changed hands several times since we had moved in, and each new owner must have added his/her own touch. So I hardly recognized it when we drove up. Gone was the drab green, screened verandah and huge old oak tree that once had cast a huge shadow over the entire property. In its place . . . a bright, white cottage with red trim that for a moment truly took my breath away, as I suddenly realized that what once was old can be made new again — including people as we age. LIke a fresh coat of paint or new landscaping, it's amazing what a change of hairstyle or wardrobe can achieve. . . But even more life changing are fresh ideas, a new outlook and new mindset.

Haven't perfected all those attributes yet, but I'm working at them. . . (while trying to breathe new life into my current 45 y/o house at the same time.) For some reason, my "kids" (both in their 40s now and DIL can't understand why I would want to live in the same house for 45 years. With updated features and new furnishings in all directions, I can't understand why not.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 11:56AM
lin7707
I just have to say I think Mike Holmes has lost his mind! He takes beautiful old homes and completely destroys them! The last one he did they had lime green, red,slate grey, warm brown tones and everything was ultra modern except for the brown washroom. Then instead of putting a proper upper deck with spindle railings he used glass panels. What a bloody shame! He over builds in a very unrealistic way which is fine for TV but I wish he would just restore old homes instead making them into something they should never be.
    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 7:04PM
amyjklimek
hgtv has totally lost it's focus... so many of the old shows were worth watching. now all the shows are the same and repeats of the same. i see the same episode of flip or flop on all the time. there is so much talent out there that it doesn't make sense why hgtv can't produce better shows. they are one of the only networks in this genre. In addition to outdated houses, hgtv's management needs a makeover.
5 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 8:46PM
carolkelley
I actually saw a new show featuring Genevieve Gorder this morning. She is rehabbing a couple of apartments in NYC for her and her little daughter to live in. It was only one for an hour or two, but, hey, it's a start!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 8:57PM
rouxb
Love It or List It annoys me so much I had to comment twice!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 1:12AM
pam h
He was no hottie, but Michael with Designing for the Sexes- talk about talkent. He, Candance and Vern. Head and shoulders above the others.
    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 6:46PM
Artzila
I think both shows are good.
    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 7:03PM
tiamay
Can't stand the fake drama on LILI. So there's no contest. The real question is, Drew OR Jonathon?
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 7:49PM
Ann Taylor
I love " Sell This House" . They take an unsalable house and make it look great on a budget.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 8:13PM
nashest
I liked Design to Sell too . . . . a lot to be learned there, and really interesting, informative people. And I HATE LOVE IT OR LIST IT! Especially on Mondays when it's on ALL DAY. I wish our cable provider (Charter) would add DIY Network to its lineup -- instead of all those sports channels. Please God.
    Bookmark   September 23, 2014 at 1:45AM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I have read most of the comments and agree that the question is not which of these two shows but when will design return to HGTV. On one show I watched the designer remove beautiful wood arches so that a cookie cutter open concept design with no personality could be realized. I am tired of hearing about open concept just like I am hearing about Grey paint on HOUZZ.

Designing for the sexes was very realistic with real timelines as well as real budgets. The design process was intelligent and did not make me feel like a dummy. I am sure it did not last because the host did not have biceps the size of tree trunks. I understand sex sells but so does good programming, PBS for one.

To answer the question, I prefer LIOLI because Hilary is a better designer than the boys. All they do is open up sight lines like they just invented the concept. David I think is very funny while the brothers are just slapstick. What I don't understand are:the people who opt for a partially renovated house over a completely renovated house David finds which fits their requirements and how you include all the new furniture in the renovation budget which was blown.
If I must chose based on sex appeal, the brothers have it over David but Hilary looks best in her walking away jeans and I love her accent. Let's give Hilary a design show and bring back the theory behind design and decorating.
    Bookmark   September 23, 2014 at 5:31AM
Wallpaper or paint can't decide?
Wallpaper or paint for this accent wall in living room...
hkhader
Can't Decide On Exterior Color
My house was built in 1967 and has the wide aluminum...
Trevor
getting ready to sell my house, can't decide what color to paint the walls
our home is only 1007 sq ft, so i want to paint the...
Beverly Holt
Can't decide on floors for a whole house remodel, help?
I love the oiled wood flooring and am considering it...
Arley
Can't decide on a color scheme
I'm refurbishing this apartment, which is a converted...
wfsiii
Help decorating small dining room
My dining room has a entranceway from the kitchen (on...
nab5858
Living Room Design help needed!!
Now that our kitchen remodel is almost done, we'd like...
mamadubbs
West facing light & frustrated on paint color :-(
I'd be so elated to get some help here on a dilemma...
earthydecorater
Wall decor ideas
My shelf is permanent so I need some suggestions on...
Melissa Gibson
Radiant Slab heating
I'm getting ready to build and want radiant heating...
stephenfarnsworth61
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Puck Swivel
$176.00 | YLighting
Frasier Leather Corner Sectional Sleeper (3 piece) - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Sasha Silver Two-Light Outdoor Wall Mount Fixture
$178.00 | Bellacor
Outdoor Round Polyethylene Mikonos Planter - A384014
$74.58 | Hayneedle
Medallion Outdoor Rug - Blue, 2' x 3'7"
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Reaching for the Sun
| Dot & Bo
TRIBECCA HOME Sophie Taupe Velvet Tufted King-Sized Upholstered Bed
Overstock.com
Oakland Athletics Mini Can Cooler
$27.99 | zulily