Can't decide: Property Brothers or David & Hillary?
CharlieDog and Friends
Property Brothers has good reveals. But I kind of like David and sometimes feel sorry for all the stress heaped on Hillary, especially with those crummy clients.
hatetoshop
Property Brothers -- not as much drama.
December 8, 2013 at 5:25am     
I think a few less pillows on the sofa would be the best design improvement for this room;)
December 8, 2013 at 5:25am     
hayleydaniels
Both shows are extremely fake. The PB's clients already own the how they 'settle' on, and having Drew show them some places is just to add drama to the show. That being said, I like the show, but I think it's highly unrealistic to believe you can have major plumbing, electrical or other issues and still manage to come in on budget. It hasn't worked in my life, and I doubt it has in other DIYers' who've done their reno themselves.

As for David and Hiliary, I don't much care for either one of them. And the clients' utter hatred of absolutely gorgeous properties because they can't imagine leaving some dumpy home is not believable. If you've watched more than two episodes, you know how the show flows--finally at the last property the relucant spouse finally likes it! Give me a break! That being said, I do give the show credit for acknowledging that if you have to spend money to repair water damage, bad plumbing and electrical, you won't be able to do everything you expected to.
December 8, 2013 at 5:41am     
indianpatti
I have to admit, I usually watch the first few minutes ... then flip to another show .. come back only for the reveals!

The Property Brothers are hot though ... I would vote for that show as better :)
December 8, 2013 at 5:48am     
Hot brothers with drama.... I'm in what channel LOL
December 8, 2013 at 5:50am     
solincia
I'm probably one of the few that doesn't find them overly attractive. While I watch the shows for the reveal, I prefer Rehab Addict, more my style. I grew up watching This Old House and Norm Abrams, much better shows in my opinion!!
December 8, 2013 at 7:14am     
dclostboy
No mention of Kitchen Cousins??? Now that's worth watching...even if you decide to mute the sound :)
December 8, 2013 at 7:18am     
Alison Coates
Love this room and think it's beautiful the way it is. Maybe just put the two stools together.
December 8, 2013 at 8:22am     
Don't watch the tube, but wouldn't mind tuning in online to see before/after slideshows without sound - just nice music!
December 8, 2013 at 8:34am     
southsound
Property Brothers, then Kitchen Cousins, then David and Hillary. Drama on all three, but David and Hillary are just too over the top. And I wonder what the owners pay for - is the labor free and the materials and furnishings not, or vice versa?
December 8, 2013 at 8:40am     
indianpatti
Hey Margo ... here's a pic of them, HGTV Channel.

Solincia, you don't think they are smokin' hot?!!
December 8, 2013 at 8:43am     
I like the smirk on the face of the one on the right lol ...Kind of look like Harry Connick Jr??
December 8, 2013 at 8:45am     
solincia
No... Not really. Sorry!!
December 8, 2013 at 8:45am     
December 8, 2013 at 9:21am     
jen046
Their kitchen aren't so bad either!
December 8, 2013 at 9:23am     
ncreature
Well both shows are extremely produced especially Love It Or List It. But if were judging design I'd go with Hilary Farr over the brothers. Hilary is a true credentialed designer who runs a firm apart from tv appearances and rarely misfires. Her design background is evident. Drew and Jon do good work but occasionally misfire from a design standpoint. When you put them (or the kitchen cousins) up against true schooled designers like Candice Olsen or Sarah Richardson it's no contest. It's pretty apparent on HGTV who the true practiced designers are (Sarah, Tommy Smyth, Candice, Michael Payne, Sabrina, Tanya, Allison Victoria, Danielle Bryk) and who the contractor/decorator/enthusiasts are (Bromstad, Cousins, Property Brothers, Rehab Addict lady, Mike Holmes and just about everyone on DIY Network).

Unfortunately HGTV caters to the DIY crowd not the Luxe/Architectural Digest crowd. So most real designers sort of wince at the number of people on HGTV masquerading as design professionals and how fictitious the process is presented. Crucial members of a design process like architects are often omitted outright or everyone who isn't a designer is labelled "contractor" instead. This is all intentional to make everything seem more accessible to the average Joe. Everything is also tilted heavily toward renovation and simple decoration as opposed to design.
December 8, 2013 at 9:47am     
saratogaswizzlestick
I watch both because I am addicted to construction/decoration shows but of the two I prefer the Property Brothers. I like the way they do tailor their design with the homeowner and they do show the potential in run down ugly houses plus they are cute too.
December 8, 2013 at 9:55am     
solincia
Oh!! Candice Olsen--I love her designs, she has such an amazing eye! She did a baby's room in toile once, it was amazing!
December 8, 2013 at 10:11am     
Andrea Prasch
Property Brothers. I agree less drama and not too shabby to look at either. Another HGTV hottie Scott Mcgillivray from Income Property. Love his show as well. ;)
December 8, 2013 at 10:39am     
Interiors International, Inc.
Property Brothers definitively. Better design, more like the real world, Except we have about a 4 month waiting period to get a permit. I'm not sure how they get theirs so quickly.
December 8, 2013 at 10:50am     
hayleydaniels
Interiors International, they get their permits that day because this is reality TV.
December 8, 2013 at 11:23am     
trebinje
hahaha, good one hayley!
December 8, 2013 at 11:39am     
Lynda
Love Property Brothers - and Income Property. Scott is hot! Even though some of the HGTV shows ARE fake and staged (House Hunters - where the people already own the home prior to the show recording), Jonathan on PB has said that their show is in fact real.
December 8, 2013 at 11:52am     
nancycronk
I like them all. And yes, the Property Brothers are smokin' hot -- especially when they are wielding sledgehammers. Youza.
December 8, 2013 at 12:00pm     
sunnydrew
I am glad someone brought up these shows. I love HGTV, but wish they would return to simply having good interior designers on. I am very bored with all the many, many repeats of House Hunters, PB and LILI. I like watching Income Property, because I do learn things. Scott is easy on the eyes too. I really miss Sarah Richardson, the best of them all; David Bromstadt and Candice. Ok, HGTV are you reading this ????
December 8, 2013 at 12:08pm     
I like prop bros. But, some of their furn designs are not the best. Hillary-always puts a great room together. My fav is stillCandice Olsen. Not sure if she is still on the air?
December 8, 2013 at 1:53pm     
P.S. I don't think the prop bros are that great. Nice twins,but not soHOT !
December 8, 2013 at 1:59pm     
laurielynne
Sunnydrew, Sarah has a new show called "Real Potential" which doesn't include Tommy Smythe. It's a combo of real-estate and design which I don't find as interesting as straight design. As for the OP I like the Property Brothers and I love Hillary's designs on Love it or List it, however I cannot stand the clients. They all seem like educated people, but for some reason they don't seem to understand that form follows function in a house. If you don't have a solid foundation or sound electrical or plumbing features then you cannot reasonably expect to spend your budget on design with those essentials lacking. Their unreasonableness is irritating to me. And while I'm on the subject of being irritated I'm also incredibly annoyed watching people who reject perfectly sound houses on the basis of paint colour, carpet or the fact that the appliances are white. And since I'm on a rant if I see another show whose finished design product which includes dark wood floors, dark kitchen cabinets, beige walls and insists that double sinks in a vanity is de rigueur I may scream.

Phew. I feel better now.
December 8, 2013 at 2:24pm     
hatetoshop
The "must have" attitude toward double sinks in vanities -- drives me nuts. How often do you and your partner brush their teeth at the same time? It is, simply, just another sink to clean.
December 8, 2013 at 5:09pm     
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
hatetoshop, it is more about having "your" stuff by "your" sink.
December 10, 2013 at 4:34am     
PirateFoxy
Only place I've seen a double vanity really make sense was a bathroom shared by siblings - boy and girl close in age. Bath and toilet were in an additional room from the sinks, so each having a sink and not having to wait to get to it in the morning really helped keep the piece.

In a master bedroom I think I would rather have more counter or storage space or a bigger shower.

Property bros are cute but watching love it or list it with my mom is more entertaining.
December 10, 2013 at 6:14am     
hayleydaniels
laurielynne, I'm 99% sure the silliness displayed by the homeowners of LILI is poor acting on their part in order to get their home renovated at a lower cost by the network. It took me watching about 3 episodes to see how it follows a script: one partner absolutely LOVES the home regardless of serious structural issues and the like. The other spouse wants nothing more to do with it, and is ready to move into anything so long as they move. When David shows them perfectly acceptable homes, the spouse who's playing the part of wanting to stay in their home HATES absolutely everything. I saw one episodes where the wife hated the most beautiful hardwood floor on some silly pretext that was laughable! Anyone who knew the plotline could see how fake the whole thing was. And by the time David works his butt off to find the home this spouse will like, he/she finally starts to soften, and finally thinks this last home is okay.

The other thing I hate about the show is how David gives them the listing on their updated home. He'll tell them that the house was worth say $500K, and now with the improvements, it's worth $600K with an increase in value of $100K. As an accountant, it galls me to hear them act as though the home has increased in value a $100K when, in fact, the increase is the difference between the new assessment and the cost of the renovation. If you spend $75K to increase the value $100K, you actual increase is $25K from an accounting point of view. At least on Sweat Equity they calculate the increase to the homeowner correctly.
December 10, 2013 at 6:36am     
anothercarolinagirl
Drew and Jonathan, Hot twin brothers at that's. We owe their mama some thanks.
December 10, 2013 at 6:40am     
southsound
Haleydaniels - Totally agree with your actual equity comment - I am not an accountant but the way LILI "calculates" the increased equity makes me crazy as well. Hello! You need to deduct the costs from the increased "equity" to arrive at the real number!! But I guess it makes for better TV the way they do it?
December 10, 2013 at 7:08am     
sunnydrew
Watching the shows produced in Canada, which I think they are, makes me question the quality of the inspection officials. It seems like disproportionately more homes are so poorly constructed and not-to-code. Especially the real old duplexes. The prices are so outrageous for what they get. Most of the HGTV shows have a very predictable script and conclusion. I am dismayed by the comments by young people looking at seemingly perfect homes which they "poo-poo" because the homes do not have granite or stainless appliances. Who says you are entitled to that in your first home. they all sound like a bunch of spoiled wanna-bees, with no patience. I agree with one of the comments above about Rehab Addict. Nicole Curtis is a gem and so, so talented. She is such a hard worker and visionary. I have not found any shows with Sarah Richardson recently, but loved her sparring and discussions with her side-kick Tommy. They really taught me a lot about how to pull things together.
December 10, 2013 at 7:20am     
foreverfarm11
I like love it or list it, just because I like to look at the houses that are shown, and then the reveal....I only watch it if I tape it, because I have to be able to ff.
December 10, 2013 at 7:21am     
Shakúff
David and Hillary are so unlikeable in my opinion (my favorite is the shot of David "searching" for properties in his car, every time). Property Brothers for the win! :)
December 10, 2013 at 7:28am     
Brenda
Carter Oosterhouse needs at least an 'honorable mention" on this list of hottie HGTV guys ...
December 10, 2013 at 7:28am     
printesa
Brenda, you are so right. I remember whey they showed his wedding,,really nice,,in his backyard. All these guys are handsome:)
December 10, 2013 at 7:52am     
tennisanyone
Who remembers Christopher Lowell? Wasn't he charming in his own way too. You can do it!!!!!
December 10, 2013 at 8:03am     
armygirl1987
I remember him tennisanyone..
December 10, 2013 at 8:08am     
tennisanyone
My LR and DR were actually showcased on his show l9 years ago when I was looking for an idea on window treatments. He held up a picture that I had sent in but blew it up. I remember him saying " we will be right back with the White House Decorator who will help a viewer". I was folding laundry and started to scream. I had already done my window treatments by then. It was 3 years later. They said to do exactly what I did, cornice with side panels. They recommended tapestry but I did gray silk. I still have them up. I loved him and thought he was the real deal.
December 10, 2013 at 8:19am     
CharlieDog and Friends
Haha, HayleyDaniels! So true. And sometimes I wish both shows would spend more time showing their design choices. Everyone sees through the manufactured drama, already.
December 11, 2013 at 5:49am     
tennisanyone
HGTV bring back real design and not these fabricated shows. They are getting old!!!! I loved Christopher Lowell's segment when he showed real homeowners problems and really helped them as he did mine. You felt like you learned something.
December 11, 2013 at 6:15am     
susie0607
I need to mention someone noone else has. Vern Yip. Love his work along with Candice Olsen's.
December 11, 2013 at 10:09am     
hatetoshop
"Watching the shows produced in Canada, which I think they are, makes me question the quality of the inspection officials. It seems like disproportionately more homes are so poorly constructed and not-to-code. Especially the real old duplexes. The prices are so outrageous for what they get."

Sunnydrew -- Many of the shows are filmed in Toronto, where I live. Believe me, the housing prices truly are outrageous. And the duplexes/homes, many of which are over 100 years old, have had so many un-permited renos over the years -- you never know what you'll find behind the walls.
December 11, 2013 at 10:41am     
Wendy
Candice and Sarah are my two fav.
December 11, 2013 at 10:58am     
tsmit103
I miss Sarah/Tommy and Candace. They are excellent designers; Candace with her lighting magic and Sarah/Tommy with their flair for repurposed/refinished antiques as well as their ability to take the standard big-box offerings and turn them into wonderful design elements that stand out. I just love their innovation.

The Property Brothers do amazing work rehabbing older homes into the coveted open-space designs that are so popular today. The show is pretty formulaic as is Love It or List It, but I am always interested to see what each does with the final design.

Is there anyone who is more abused than Hillary? I know it's only tv, but really! Just what do the clients want her to do when she finds the basement has been leaking for 40 years? She does some pretty amazing work.
December 11, 2013 at 11:35am     
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
Mike Holmes now is doing "Making It Right" along with the H~O~T Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict are the best and are REAL too! Did you see "Flipping Las Vegas" with the staged satanic worship house makeover? The kitchen cabinets were covered with plastic before the shoot to save them. When the carpet was removed there was a pentagon painted on the floor. The cast is crazzzzzy !!
December 11, 2013 at 12:17pm     
Allison Lee-Clay
I really dislike the faux hostility & smacktalk. It's not even clever! Just so artificial & pandering to that silly 'conflict is 'good entertainment!'
I can do without that nonsense.
I'd rather watch anything that assumes I'm an adult & doesn't need to say everything 3x to fill the timeslot.
Let's have a show that shows clever ways of fixing problems, not bitchiness
December 11, 2013 at 12:23pm     
Kevin Strader
I like Rehab Addict, Property Brothers, LILI and just about all the shows. I understand they all have a specific formula to follow. I watch them to find ideas for our house. I know it's all staged (remember WWF Wrestling :)) but I still like to watch.

True story. We were watching Divine Design one night (Sunday) and Candice painted a LR with a white fireplace a color called Straw Hat. The next day my wife left for 2 weeks of training in Texas. On Monday I went to the show's web site and got the color name and on Tuesday went and picked up the paint at my local Benjamin-Moore paint store. I spent the next few days painting our Living Room/Dining Room/Foyer "Straw Hat". It had been a darker tan. Well she gets home from Texas and we're standing in the foyer and I'm waiting for her to notice my fabulous paint job. Finally I got frustrated and asked, "Didn't you even notice?" She said, "Notice what?" I said, "I painted all three rooms with that paint you loved on Divine Design." Her response, "Oh, I noticed it was lighter but I just thought it was because you had the lights on." So much for my big reveal. LOL. By the way, a number of years later, the walls are still "Straw Hat".
December 11, 2013 at 1:44pm     
mmilos
The worst part about "Love It Or List It" is the stupid appraisals after completing renovations. The return is always estimated at 120-200% of investment. That rarely is the case. 50-80% of a good investment is more likely.
December 11, 2013 at 1:51pm     
aaaaw Kevin, I like your story. My husband would never do that, how sweet!!!!!
December 11, 2013 at 1:57pm     
mmilos
House Hunters prototypical comment if they can't find anything wrong in particular is always "kind of small". Haha!
December 11, 2013 at 1:58pm     
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
If one more couple on HGTV walks into a perfectly usable kitchen and says "What? No stainless steel appliances!! This is a total gut job!" I will scream.....For goodness sake, the appliances STILL WORK!! Oh wait...they cannot possibly work if they are not stainless steel.
December 11, 2013 at 3:10pm     
blaze757/lovebee
Solincia, I would have to agree with you . I also like Rehab Addict she is more realistic and more practical . Also I like the idea she goes to vintage and antique stores and find good deals. Far as the property brother's they do good work but I find them to be extremely expensive. The average American person does not have 150,000 to 200,000 to do renovations to a house. If you notice on these shows most of the renovations are 20,000 and better. 2 Thumbs up to you Solinicia on your comment
December 11, 2013 at 3:55pm     
blaze757/lovebee
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant. Marla I believe a lot of this stuff is staged. You are right no need to gut out a lot of these kitchens because no stainless steel appliances. I tell you if people listen to everything on these so called decorating reality shows, they would have you gutting your whole house out down to the beams! which is not practical. 2 thumbs up you on Marla on your comment.
December 11, 2013 at 4:05pm     
blaze757/lovebee
Marla Oppenheim Decorating Consultant. Type era I mean 2 thumbs up to you on your comment.
December 11, 2013 at 4:10pm   
dkvhaus
Yes, listen here HGTV: Bring back Sarah Richardson (Tommy Symthe too) and Candice Olson!!!
(And I don't mean at 3am!! Pacific time)

For those who are interested... Here are the "cousins"
December 11, 2013 at 4:29pm     
tennisanyone
The cousin on the left is dating Genevive Gorder. I just read that.
December 11, 2013 at 4:36pm     
bailey82
My favorite show on tv is anything with Sarah Richardson and Tommy! They actually share design ideas without the fake drama on LiLI!!! I had over thirty shows with Sarah recorded and watched them repeatedly until my dvr crashed. I was so sad because most shows on HGTV are so fake!!! I'm sick of House Huntrers!!!
December 11, 2013 at 5:08pm     
blaze757/lovebee
dkvhaus Yes Candice Olson was a good decorator also.
December 11, 2013 at 5:37pm     
blaze757/lovebee
bailey82 yes these decorating shows can come a bit tired sometime
December 11, 2013 at 5:40pm   
blrussell
Just once I wish the property brothers would really give the client the whole house refinished, like they say they will. The "3" rooms that are made over are nice but usually a bathroom or two are not done and new paint, windows, and flooring gets forgotten in several rooms.
Love or list it is a bit dramatic...but in Hillary's defense some of the amount of money that she is given is so unrealistic for what is asked for that even without the "big problem" there would be no way to complete the job.
Agree that design shows need to come back.
December 11, 2013 at 5:44pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
Miss Christopher Lowell, love Candice and Sarah.
December 11, 2013 at 5:44pm     
Amy Stokes
Sarah Richardson is the ultimate. I used her bathrooms from Design Inc as inspiration for my reno. No one does bathrooms as well as she does. Classic and yet modern.
December 11, 2013 at 5:58pm     
Melanie Hon
I love Leave it Bryan and Real Potential with Sarah Richardson.
December 11, 2013 at 5:59pm     
cthebadger
If someone at HGTV is reading this... I find the put-on, badly acted, overly dramatic shows a major turnoff. Property Bros definitely wins out over Love It or List it (David and Hilary)

Love it or List it used to be fun, but has become unwatchable, and also has probably faked some episodes. House Hunters has certainly faked shows. Property Bros claims that they have not.

The Brother vs. Brother competition show was terrible. Keep em doing what they're good at.
December 11, 2013 at 6:12pm     
vjs12
I loved watching Christopher Lowell. He had practical ideas for DIY people. He was the guest speaker at the Home & Garden show in Dallas years ago. I went and purchased his decorating book, "Seven Layers of Design". Great book. Remember Lynette Jennings? Her book, "Straight Talk on Decorating" is great too. I miss them and Candice. Property Brothers are easier to watch than LiLi.
December 11, 2013 at 6:13pm     
mommickey
I love love it or list it so does my hubby and property brothers. real or not etc. it gives us averages joes ideas. I love candice olsen and sarah richardson. I love hgtv. Way better than watching any reality show awful behavior and drama. i wish there was a little less house hunters more sarah richardson and candace. I have not see there shows lately. I am sick of watching all the time people buy houses.
December 11, 2013 at 6:14pm     
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
People buying houses is inexpensive to film. No need to pay the average house hunter or realtor to be filmed!! Reality shows and competitions are low budget, too. Many of the designers who started on HGTV are now so famous that they have their own line of fabrics, wallpapers, and other home items. (I use Candace Olsen's fabrics and wallpapers all the time!} They have become major brands on their own, and cost too much now. No network can afford their fees and royalties.
December 11, 2013 at 6:40pm     
carolkelley
I prefer Property Brothers to Love It or List It. One of the reasons is that I can't stand the families on LILI. They have such unrealistic expectations that Hillary needs to meet. The families are also too picky when it comes to looking at a new house. House Hunters bugs me more though. The kitchen's gotta have granite countertops and stainless appliances, a big master bathroom, walk-in closets, an open floor plan and five bedrooms. It's fine to want those things, but do you need all that (including the 5 bedrooms) when it's just you two and the dog?

I prefer the design shows so much more. I miss seeing Sarah and Candace and other designers on a regular basis and check the HGTV morning lineup daily to see what's going to be on. Sometimes it is design shows, but this week it's been real estate shows except for yesterday when they showed Cash and Cari repeats. I love those! HGTV used to air a show that explored the history of a home. Maybe it was Cash in the Attic, but it was fascinating.

One time, Yard Crashers featured a house owned by the son of some friends of mine. I always love seeing that episode as it's like seeing my old friends again.
December 11, 2013 at 7:58pm   
craljh
whatever happened to the "G" in HGTV ???????
December 11, 2013 at 8:24pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
I think those shows usually have too much drama. Too many of them want every house in the USA to look like California coastal style... so bright and gay.
December 11, 2013 at 8:41pm   
blaze757/lovebee
What I find interesting, most designers follow the same trend same colors to. It becomes boring . What happened to being different and create something new and exciting.
December 11, 2013 at 9:35pm     
carolkelley
Well, there was The Antonio Treatment and Home by Novogratz. Both shows seem to have disappeared altogether. Not sure that I'd want my home to be decorated by either antonio Ballatore or the Novogratzes though I did like a few things they did. I'd need to have the money to change their design to something less jarring fairly quickly.

I misspoke earlier when I said that the son of some friends was on Yard Crashers. He was on Curb Appeal: the Block. What happened to those shows? Where, indeed, is the "G" in HGTV?
December 11, 2013 at 9:45pm     
chungv
Property brothers
December 11, 2013 at 9:45pm     
regina5697
I was and avid HGTV watcher, now not so much. Why? Too much House Hunters. Bored with it.
December 12, 2013 at 12:03am     
solincia
Speaking of Curb Appeal--loved that show! And who didn't love Trading Spaces! Shout out to Vern and Genevive, and when Hildi wasn't tacking vinyl records to the wall, she sometimes had a pretty good eye. Doug was just funny (now he was hot!). There was a show called "Room by Room" that was produced here in Cleveland,Ohio that was great too, practical ways to redo spaces (back when borders were popular!) but the homes they worked on we're average bungalows and ranches, that was great!
December 12, 2013 at 4:24am     
solincia
Oh and as to the house prices in Toronto--seriously? I don't know what income is like in Canada but whoa...
December 12, 2013 at 4:31am     
carolkelley
Watching Property Brothers and Love or List It is maybe not the best idea right before you tackle a much needed renovation of your home. They can scare you to death with the problems they find!
December 12, 2013 at 5:50am   
lovliny
I agree with some of the other comments to bring back designers Sarah Richardson and Candice Olsen. I never watch Love IT Or List it anymore. It is so phony and staged. Missing real interior design shows and have had my fill of House Hunters, etc. HVTV was a favorite at one time but I rarely watch it anymore
December 12, 2013 at 6:07am     
mmilos
I think Love It or List It is so popular they had the creativity to include Love it Or List It Too.
It's the same exact show but with prettier, younger hosts. Haha!

The formulaic nature of the show is just too predictable. Budget is too limited to do everything and then an unexpected challenge comes up and they have to nix a whole room from the renovation. Here's a thought - what about being creative and find some cheaper finishes/fixtures to stretch the budget?
December 12, 2013 at 7:08am     
mmilos
Genevieve Gorder is way too touchy feely/bohemian for me.
December 12, 2013 at 7:14am     
hayleydaniels
I used to watch Christopher Lowell everyday, and learned so much from him. Some of his stuff was a bit much for me, but I learned basic principals of design I'm still incorporating in my home.

I caught the middle of the PB's new show Buying and Selling last night. It appears to be their version of LILI.

I also really like Bryan Baeumler, Nicole Curtis and Mike Holmes as they show what a home reno is really like, especially Mike Holmes.

If you're a DIYer working on your home, you'll LOVE Renovation Realities that follows homeowners own reno. This is the most realistic show I've come across as it shows that it isn't nearly as easy as these home reno shows make it appear. I especially appreciate seeing how tired the people are by the 4th day of demoing a room, and that tempers begin to flare--it's real life for once. So far I think I've only seen one episode where the project was finished on time, and that was the firefighter who put in a floating staircase, but he didn't put any railings on it. Other than that, most of the renos took about 3 times as long as expected which is my rule of thumb.
December 12, 2013 at 10:12am     
Michele P
The down to earth humor on Prop Bros is refreshing. They genuinely joke around like one of your own brothers. Not bad to look at either- :-) I would love to see more Sarah Richardson on HGTV. Love her style--
December 12, 2013 at 11:53am     
Tiffany Verbarito
The property brothers stink
December 12, 2013 at 12:12pm   
pickyvicky
Anything that is NOT "House Hunters" is great. I used to watch HGTV all the time; keywords -- "used to."

Now I only watch it if I can't find something else on tv and something other than "House Hunters" is on. I cannot tolerate "House Hunters" one more second.

I love Mike Holmes, Property Brothers, LILI, Nicole Curtis, etc.
BUT.....
Candace, Sara ..... I miss all the designer shows. I miss "Curb appeal." I miss the old shows, too, such as "Room by Room," etc.

I also miss the gardening & crafting shows. Please, HGTV, teach me something.....and, I like to see "doing" so please stop taking so much time out of the show by showing stupid host "antics" & pleaseeeeee do not reshow the antic when you come back from commercial break. This is what makes your shows look "like visual canned laughter."
December 13, 2013 at 4:21am     
Tiffany Verbarito
Your house tragic
December 13, 2013 at 5:14am   
lovliny
I just hope the powers that be and their advertisers are reading this to show how many viewers they are losing. The message here appears to be one that HGTV viewers want more intelligence and knowledge from your shows. I cringe when LILI is on - either version. I think viewers would rather aspire to a higher level of design even if they can't afford it than to see silly situations and budget problems and a one minute final reveal.
December 13, 2013 at 5:46am     
woodrina
Solincia, I remember Room by Room! Matt + Shari, right? I can still remember some of the rooms they re-did! And with none of the manufactured drama. Anyone remember Decorating Cents with Joan Steffend?
December 13, 2013 at 10:34am     
Denita
The Florida Association of Realtors had the Property Brothers in to speak a couple of months ago at the annual convention in Orlando and the burning question was: do you do the rest of the house when you renovate?

The answer is: They do finish the entire home! They only show 3 rooms being renovated because it is TV and there are time constraints. The PB's also went into detail about their planning and permits etc. So, yes - it appears that they just do 3 rooms quickly; but, like all TV, there is more to it.

I miss Candice Olsen and Sarah Richardson's shows too...
December 13, 2013 at 11:12am     
victorianbungalowranch
I miss Decorating Cents--seemed down to earth and quite doable, although I didn't always like the results, and the host had a warm low-key personality. The Trash to Treasure part was nice too. And it was great to see something not produced in LA, Vancouver or Toronto!

HGTV has developed a formula and sticks to it, and relies heavily on Canadian shows. Too much emphasis on drama and script, and not enough on working through problems, respecting original architecture, and making sacrifices to stay on budget. They need to listen to fans that the fake stuff, especially the fake banter, is getting really old. The building permit thing must be arranged ahead of time for all those crasher shows and whatnot. I wonder if they actually come back in a week or so. And all this design in a hurry thing is just overdone and unrealistic.

Agree that Income Property and Rehab Addict is closer to the mark and more realistic, although I wish they spent more time showing some of the nuts and bolts rather than making it look easy peasy. Holmes Inspection and Holmes on Homes is pretty good too, but it will scare you half to death to watch that, and he goes farther than is required to fix things. And I don't always agree with his choices, like tearing out original fireplaces and porches and windows. But fixing anything, especially windows, takes too long for the cameras.

Liked Curb Appeal too and most of the stuff they did was fairly reasonable for the impact, and were usually respectful of the building and the neighborhood. Nowadays, the exterior is almost never included in the whole package in many of the newer shows, even when they are a total mess.

This Old House is equally bad in being overblown and unrealistic. It used to be more down-to-earth, but commercial pressures have blown things out of hand. I'm afraid that "Old House Journal" has gone the same way in many ways, although they still manage to get some decent information in there.

I have fanaticized about producing a more down-to-earth show called "Right Size Renovation" or something like that, and show people with similar houses take different renovation options, and actually respect the bones of the structure rather than just dismissing it all as dated. And focus on repair rather than smash and replace. And include some run of the mill places in small town America, as well as the suburbs where everything under the sun is readily available nearby, and urban sites. Unfortunately, I'm not well connected or terribly photogenic!
December 13, 2013 at 11:14am     
Barbara Stymiest-Colvin
I miss Christopher Lowell. He had a good show. I know that the hgtv shows are formulaic but I still like watching them. I really love Hillary on LILI and hate how crappily she is treated! The worst was this couple who acted surprised that there was old fire damage in their home and threw a fit because Hillary had to address it. Really? You're telling me that you never saw the charred beams in your attic? That never turned up on the home inspection? Please.
December 13, 2013 at 11:36am     
tennisanyone
Maybe a good design show is hard to pull off. Look at Nate Burkus who was only on for a season. Either you connect or you don't. I think with Nate, he tried too many things, cooking, dressing women, banter with the audience., etc. They should just stick to what they are good at.
December 13, 2013 at 1:29pm     
Melanie Hon
I just went thru the next week's schedule on my PVR guide for HGTV here in Canada and there are 106 half hour increments dedicated entirely to a House Hunters of some sort (House Hunters, House Hunters World Tour, House Hunters Renovation, etc). In one week there are 336 half hour increments so that means that fully 31.5% of the programming is House Hunters!!! In comparison, there was 31 half-hours of Income Property (some are half hour shows, most are the newer hour-long episodes) and only 2 half-hours of Real Potential (Sarah Richardson). Not a single minute for Love it or List it or Property Brothers. They only air on the W Network in Canada, which is not a channel I am subscribed to.
December 13, 2013 at 8:35pm   
Alley Cat
I love Property Brothers and Love It Or List It, but it irks me how Hilary from LIOLI often promises the world to the homeowner when they are sitting in the trendy little cafe at the beginning, and you never see Hillary say the freaking obvious caveat to homeowners upfront that, "If we find something wrong, the renovation budget will go down as we will have to fix it," then during the renovation, all these totally normal old-house problems occur and suddenly all hell breaks loose, with the manufactured conflict and downright rudeness from the homeowners and Hilary's barbed responses. While fake, it still makes Hilary look like an unprofessional idiot who didn't cover herself and manage expectations and who has no people skills.
December 13, 2013 at 8:51pm     
Denita
You are so right Alley Cat! Well said. Maybe the producers of the show will find this thread and pay attention. Too much House Hunters. Not enough true design shows and not enough Income Property :)
December 13, 2013 at 9:29pm     
grobby
Hope HGTV is listening. I like the rehab shows, but good heavens, how much rehab can a person stand. All the guys are hot and could tear my house down, any day. What I really want to see are the older shows, Dream Drives, Homes Across America with Joe Ruggerio
These were shot on location and showcased gorgeous homes, just like here on Houzz.
Have to agree that Sarah and Candice are tops. What happened to them?
December 13, 2013 at 9:42pm     
carolkelley
I've lurked a bit at the HGTV boards and it is just filled with complaints about their programming. If they're listening to the viewers, they just don't care.
December 14, 2013 at 3:41am     
CharlieDog and Friends
I think it's time for "HouzzTV" :0)
December 14, 2013 at 5:12am     
solincia
I think we are all pretty much on the same page--let's get back to some "how-to" shows! Show me what style of drapes, how to pick colors, accessories, how to decorate around what I already have! Everything has moved from decorating to renovating!
December 14, 2013 at 6:49am     
Lynnie
Property brothers because they are so nice looking, lol! Wish I could hire them. It is hard to find people that dedicated and with that sort of know-how. I think it is a great show.
December 14, 2013 at 8:51am   
ncreature
I don't mind Mike Holmes as a personality (though recently Damon has done most of the work), but his shows are incredibly unrealistic and home inspectors absolutely abhor him because he gives their trade a bad name. In real life a home inspector adheres to 'first do no harm.' You can't just rip down a ceiling to find a problem. You can't tear down walls and rip off roof tiles. Most home inspectors are not contractors and don't have crews, they are consultants. Mike Holmes' show should more appropriately be about bad home inspections, but it is characterized as being about home inspectors in general which is misleading.

Also like I said before, there is a serious lack of true design professionals on HGTV and DIY network. That's not to say shows like Income Property or Property Brothers aren't entertaining television (and much better than endless House Hunters re-runs), but people have to understand that there's a lot more going on here than meets the eye. Four weeks to renovate an entire house is unrealistic (and even on Property Brothers half the time they don't make their own deadline that Jonathan promises). Shows like Kitchen Crashers or Bath Crashers (I like Alison, not so much Matt Muenster) also portray highly unrealistic timelines (3 days to renovate a kitchen? The drywall alone could take 3 days). Shows like Hawaii Life I don't even understand what the purpose of is.

The appeal of HGTV is to sort of bring decoration and interior design and renovation down to an easy to digest presentation where everything can be neatly wrapped up in a half hour. The pitch is always "i'll give you a few design tips to help you make your house look amazing." But the problem is that Sarah Richardson has a master's degree in Interior Design and Architecture. So does Candace. They run large firms with lots of resources (access to materials, textiles, etc) that the average person does not have. When Color Confidential was on the premise was you could learn how to work with color, only problem is color theory takes most people years to master, So HGTV sort of operates like a medical show telling you, "hey in 30 minutes we'll teach you to be a surgeon." And then jumping to the results with none of the process in the middle (as much as I love Candace's results, her show from a standpoint of actually learning something is garbage). I would say the best show for actually picking up a little bit of true design knowledge that could actually help someone would be Sarah and Tommy (Tommy's encyclopedic knowledge comes across often in quick little quips that if you catch them often provide lots of little insights).

If anyone is interested in a design series where you could actually learn a little something check out BBC Design Rules by Laurence Llewelyn-Bown
Fantastic series, entertaining, funny and you definitely begin to see how designers actually think.
December 14, 2013 at 9:36am     
unwantedadvice
Did anyone know that Bill Beckwith, the carpenter from Curb Appeal died recently in a motorcycle accident in San Francisco? I was shocked to read that on CNN a couple of weeks ago. So sad.
December 14, 2013 at 11:02am   
kculp102
What about Sabrina Soto? She does awesome designs on her show The High-Low Project. She has a good design eye, she also does projects, and really tailors the rooms for her clients.
December 14, 2013 at 11:42am     
okdokegal
Have friend that was approached by PB, had recently closed on a fixerupper, and had the buckage to turn the house. They wanted him to be on show and yes, they would do the find two other properties to have him pretend sneer at/agonize over; then go ahead and do the renos and reveal.

Neither, PB or D&H, would rather just have someone come and give me a week off; I'm about willing to pay to have wiring run and sorted out.... and do drywall.

I also can't think of a 3 day turn around a room for any less than fifteen people cramming into that space, and all seasoned trade pros... or a 4 week full house turnaround, even with full contractor, subs, and crews going at it. I'll be lucky to be done by fall 2014. I'd like to have seen one of those shows come in and tackle my original bathroom project. In two or three days....

I agree about the recaps and replay the drama on the 20 min of the 30 min of show (rest is header, footer, and ads) so there's maybe 5 min of 'meat' to the show that you don't see repeated 3 times; and most of it is why bother to watch? This Old House originals, and New Yankee Workshop; at least I got to see people at work doing something. We know Unky Norm had more tools than most of us will ever have, but there was at least interesting side bits about getting his inspiration and visiting old factories and such still turning stuff out; etc.

Even the original Design Star was better than some of the later iterations; and where did David go? Um. At least here at Houzz we can visit reality :) hehe
December 14, 2013 at 4:29pm     
dstemple1956
Solincia - I like Rehab Addict too. This gal gets it. She saves more than she destroys, which is refreshing. And okdokegal, I have always thought that David was the best of the best on Design Star. Maybe he's so popular with his business that he isn't able to perform on camera as much and the old shows were the best shows. I would watch Gardening By The Yard for hours because I always learned something and was entertained at the same time.
December 14, 2013 at 5:12pm     
Barbara Stymiest-Colvin
Wasn't Laurence Llewelyn-Bown on the BBC Trading Spaces? Loved him! Thanks for the referral. I will look him up.
December 14, 2013 at 6:54pm   
hayleydaniels
AlleyCat, I bet the reason you don't see Hilary informing the homeowners that if there are structural problems, they'll be fixed before the other cosmetic items is because these people have no doubt signed a 100 page contract spelling all that out. I'm sure these people have to sign their life and the life of their children away to be accepted to appear on these shows.

Last year on Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell on ABC, he had one guy who I believe was a police officer who had to lose weight or lose his job due to being unable to do it physically. This guy had serious knee issues when he was examined at the beginning of the program, and really needed to not be doing the amount and type of exercises the program required, but he refused to quit. A few months later, his knees were so bad, he needed knee replacement surgery, but again, he refused to do it, and stuck with the 8 hours a day exercise program. I was very puzzle about this as I watched it until it struck me that if he quit, there had to be some sort of penalties he would incur such as having to pay for Chris Powell's time along with reimbursing ABC for renovating his home, and building him a home gym. I bet the people on all these other realities shows are bound by so many legal stipulations that they couldn't back out if they wanted to.
December 14, 2013 at 7:15pm   
njmomma777
Love hgtv but really losing my interest in these unrealistic staged scripted shows.
December 14, 2013 at 8:24pm     
pickyvicky
Did Sarah Richardson do a show back in the late '90's called "This Small Space"?

I used to watch that show all the time and I swear it was her.
December 14, 2013 at 8:30pm   
kathy
to the various posters commenting about house prices shown in LILI and Prop bros - welcome to Toronto area real estate!

I'm always shocked when I find out the house prices on House Hunters - why are those houses so inexpensive?!

I wonder how local municpal taxes compare - if over time prices even out?
December 14, 2013 at 9:08pm     
Lesley Delle_Grazie
Sarah Richardson's first show was called "Room Service", then she did "Design Inc." before doing all of the shows with Tommy. I've been watching her forever!
December 14, 2013 at 9:09pm     
Lesley Delle_Grazie
@kathy, we pay much lower property taxes in Ontario than most people do in the US. However, it gets evened out with our exorbitant income tax and HST. The government always gets their money somehow.
December 14, 2013 at 9:12pm   
kathy
nothing sure in life but death and taxes.
December 14, 2013 at 9:47pm     
Does anyone remember Debbie Travis "facelift"? She decorated pretty much with paint only.
December 14, 2013 at 9:57pm     
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I loved Debbie Travis! She got me hooked on painting everything!

I'm so sick of reality TV; I hardly ever watch TV at all anymore unless hubby's watching a Leafs game or a movie that catches my attention. HGTV needs to get back to it's roots and stop trying to compete with TLC (another reality-filled disappointment!)
December 14, 2013 at 10:04pm     
unwantedadvice
@pickyvicky, her name is Susan Crenshaw and I watched that show too. It was fun and interesting.

I would rather watch Property Brothers than Love It or List It. I can tolerate the twin brothers but not the others. I hate when Hilary is given some paltry amount of money to work with when the homeowners are willing to buy another house for like $2-300,00 more. Drives me nuts so I stopped watching. I really don't like the hour shows, much prefer half the time. Knock it out and get it done with!

I still watch House Hunters and House Hunter International. I enjoy seeing different parts of America and overseas. Heck, I remember when House Hunters was just from California! So, technically it has come a long way.

But I do agree with most posters that I don't watch as much HGTV as I used to. Not any interesting new shows. I do love anything Sarah Richardson and Tommy, her trusty co-designer. Although I am recording Sabrina Soto's show, she seems so sweet. Even Bang For Your Buck is good, as well as Curb Appeal.

But as with all networks, things change and evolve over time. Hopefully, HGTV will rise up and begin producing some more fantastic design shows as well as garden shows.
December 14, 2013 at 11:18pm     
smarterthandog
Property Bros win for best hair. In any event, these cable shows have way too many commercials.
December 15, 2013 at 8:04am   
reba120
I like Property Virgins, both versions (Sandra and Egypt).
December 15, 2013 at 9:10am     
wyndyacre
I've only occasionally been able to watch HGTV programs as I don't have cable or satellite service at home, but like others, I abhor the fabricated drama of most of the shows and unrealistic results. I love Sarah Richardson and Lynda Reeves...both are very classy. I never enjoyed Debbie Travis. It always seemed to me that she would rip out gorgeous peices of antique craftsmanship and replace it with really cheap painted projects just for the sake of change.
December 15, 2013 at 9:46am     
Jillian
Initially I loved PBros for taking a couple to their dream home and then slamming them, "ohhh! This house is 950k, and your measly budget is 400k. Time to start slumming it." I'll still watch PB if nothing on food network or cooking channel. LIOLI is boring to me, or maybe I just got tired of wondering why David is always using his laptop on the hood of a car. Get an office! At least find a Starbucks and use their wifi...
December 15, 2013 at 9:53am     
smileyface2013
I find "Buying Alaska" from the Destination Channel fascinating, and I love Jeff Lewis on Bravo. Far more interesting than any of HGTV's shows.
December 15, 2013 at 9:53am     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
None of the shows are in the least bit realistic in terms of budget. Only show that is realistic is Jeff on Bravo. That show totally shows how awful and unrealistic clients can be & how great other clietns are who get it and let a designer do their thing.

But its a realistic portrayal of being a real designer. Real clients, not a huge crew sewing things and making things out of plywood & getting showrooms to give them huge discounts or stuff for free. NONE OF THAT happens in the real world because of a cheap budget. Noone has a huge crew working for nothing except tv shows. Its make believe!
December 15, 2013 at 10:02am     
solincia
I thought I had read that the budgets cover materials but not labor (although they'd never tell you that in tv!) and that it allows homeowners to get severely discounted remodels. I also read that in LILI they film two versions of the end either list or live, and the producers decide.
December 15, 2013 at 10:54am   
solincia
Regarding taxes and house prices, the US is probably just as varied as Canada--it varies state by state, and then county by county, city by city.
December 15, 2013 at 10:58am   
alex511
This is the second time I have seen CMR belittle unrealistic clients. I wonder why you would do that.
December 15, 2013 at 3:22pm   
smileyface2013
As a (retired) professional in a non-design field, I think clients can be unrealistic and horrible, and I don't think it's belittling that CMR stated that "fact of life".
December 15, 2013 at 4:42pm     
carolkelley
I love Jeff Lewis on Bravo. I also appreciate how both Sanda and Egypt will try to get Property Virgins to have more realistic expectations on what they're money will buy.
December 15, 2013 at 5:14pm     
Kari D
I'm a fan of Rehab Addict. Much more my style.

Like Solincia said, property taxes vary upon location within the US. A few months ago we moved about 4 miles from our last place but crossed city lines. $2000 a year property tax difference.
December 15, 2013 at 5:29pm   
okdokegal
Lawrence Llewellen-Bowen was one of the designers on Trading Rooms, the BBC show, and he got moved to being host for years 7 and 8 after Carol Smillie (years 1-6).

Some of the stuff their designers did was just plain yeuk; but sometimes they weren't adequately informed (it seemed they had a six week or better runin before the show was taped) on some things, but. I can say that other than the general penchant of some for felting sweaters to make pillows and the like; at least I learned how to do some really neat faux finishes and affordable upgrades.
December 15, 2013 at 6:16pm     
kculp102
What happened to David Bromstad? He used to try to educate the viewers either on color combinations or how to place furniture. Anyone remember Lisa LaPorta and (Clive)I loved them also! Love Candance and Sarah also. But my favorite old school HGTV was Designer's challenge! I used to love that show!
December 15, 2013 at 6:46pm     
carolkelley
David's got a of irons in the fire apparently. He's designing a collection of shoes for Naturalizer that comes out in the spring. He is also doing ads for Sherwin-Williams paints and was the mentor on the most recent season of Design Star. He's still painting and doing interior design jobs for clients, too.
December 15, 2013 at 7:06pm     
Tiffany Verbarito
I was kidding I love your color palette
March 6, 2014 at 5:57pm   
halbraswell
What amazes me is people plopping down $400,000 or more for 1,200 SF homes with wood siding .
March 6, 2014 at 11:46pm   
nashest
You have no idea how much I hate Love It or List It. My TV would prob';y be on HGTV all day most days if it weren't for this awful show. I hate the snarky hosts, the drama -- just have no tolerance for it anymore, if ever. Nothing to be learned at all -- Fixer Upper and Property Brothers, on the other hand -- love every show, and I am inspired by their work. I can't believe how many days HGTV devotes to back-to-back episodes of Love It or List It. BLECCHHHHHH!!!!!
on Monday at 3:06pm     
nashest
And another thing -- I don't watch nearly as much HGTV now also because most of the really good, really informative and inspiring, shows are DIY shows, and HGTV doesn't bother to show them. The landscaping and curb appeal shows, Rehab Addict, Sara Richardson's show, all the good stuff -- not even there. The one redeeming factor -- Fixer Upper. Love that one.
on Monday at 3:11pm     
Monarch Sofas
PROPERTY BROTHERS ALL THE WAY :)) LOVE THEM ! one of the few shows i actually record because i love it so much. we've made sofas and sectionals for many hgtv shows, and it's always fun to work with the designers! love love summer baltzer and nicole facciuto ! pleasure working with them ! would LOVE to create something for my fave hgtv brothers :) xoxo eva @ monarchsofas.com

ps. fun story: the first time summer baltzer came to our OC showroom, years ago, i could have sworn she was one of our long time designer clients, since i was so familiar with her :) i just talked to her like i've known her for years, only to realize later that i only knew her from hgtv's design on a dime, lol. she was such a good sport, and has been a wonderful client since. anyway, thought i would share. xoxo eva

NATALIE STYLE - TRADITIONAL ENGLISH ROLL ARM
KENZIE STYLE ( aka NELLIE) - Chesterfield Sofa or Sectional
JESSICA STYLE - CLASSIC DESIGN
ANNA STYLE - TRADITIONAL AND SOPHISTICATED
EVA STYLE - MID-CENTURY MODERN
JANNA STYLE - CONTEMPORARY

Totally Custom 1

Totally Custom 2
on Monday at 4:06pm   
Rehab Addict and Fixer Upper are more my style. Miss Candice Olson et al.
on Monday at 6:53pm   
mcbmd3
So glad somebody revived this thread. I missed it the first time around; probably too busy having a nervous breakdown regarding having Christmas at my house. In any case, does anyone remember Designing for the Sexes? That charming British gentleman was able to incorporate the husband and wife's different styles into a cohesive look. He was so talented.
Property Brothers is good because the men seem genuine, even if the formula is always the same: have a budget but then find problems creating a fake tension. But Love It or List It is unwatchable now. I have no bad feelings toward either David or Hillary, a fine designer. But the formula is so predictable that the show is boring. That show needs to be 30 minutes, not 60. And for heaven's sake, bring back Curb Appeal. House Hunters is ok, but I get weary watching folks with low budgets wanting it all. Candace Olsen is terrific and I loved Sarah. That's my two cents.
on Monday at 9:46pm     
rouxb
Property Brothers for sure. I "joined" HGTV discussion board just to vent how annoying I find "Love It or List It".
on Tuesday at 1:49am   
Jean Stryker
It's hard not to love the Brothers. But which one more? Drew's a little better looking (for an identical twin), but who isn't attracted to a man who can swing a hammer? So I guess Jonathan wins. Oh hell, I'll take both of them.
on Tuesday at 5:15am   
glschisler
I used to watch HGTV ALL THE TIME. Now never. Just stay on HOUZZ to see what the PROS say to help people. Wish more dilemma would show their "after".
on Tuesday at 6:09am   
melerod12
I love HGTV. I think Hilary& David are way fake. Some of the things they say need work, Don't even need work. Makes me think, they say those things need work and don't fix all the clients "must needs" & pocket more money. Not sure how it works out.
I do like her design work over PB.
PB is fun to watch, they aren't so cute! But they Are so Funny! Their design work looks so cheap though for there grand budget.
Now their new show brother vs. brother. Forget it, It needs to go after season 1!
on Tuesday at 8:12am   
excanuck
I agree with mccbmd3. Glad to see all the shows "back" on the air. But, while I only discovered the programs last summer, I've already seen so many re-runs, I sometimes feel it's a waste of time, and try to take advantage of those hours to get some "real" work done around here. . . . Also, while I count myself as one of the many who would cast my vote for the Property Brothers (especially the shows that focus on updating the owners' homes so they can sell them for enough $$$ to buy new ones instead of rehabing a dump and turning it into a buyer's dream home ) I also enjoy LIOLI – though only with with Hillary and David. (Find the attempt to copy their speech patterns by the cast of LIOLI 2 nothing short of annoying.)

Of all the shows, Curb Appeal and Block Appeal are my favorites; just wish there were some way to coax the cast from their office in the Bay Area down to our southern end of the state. I think 8 of the 10 homes in our tiny cul de sac (including mine) could use a little updating.

BTW, the comment about shows produced in Canada also caught my attention. I was almost 4-1/2 y/o the day my younger brother was born,. His arrival resulted in our eviction from the cramped 1- BR apartment we shared with the live-in babysitter who watched me while both my parents worked — forcing us to move into a "new" home across the street from our apartment building. I used the word "new" advisedly, since the house was at least 60 years old when we moved in. Revisiting it 42 years later when I returned for my father's funeral, gave me what Oprah would call a real "Aha Moment!

The house had changed hands several times since we had moved in, and each new owner must have added his/her own touch. So I hardly recognized it when we drove up. Gone was the drab green, screened verandah and huge old oak tree that once had cast a huge shadow over the entire property. In its place . . . a bright, white cottage with red trim that for a moment truly took my breath away, as I suddenly realized that what once was old can be made new again — including people as we age. LIke a fresh coat of paint or new landscaping, it's amazing what a change of hairstyle or wardrobe can achieve. . . But even more life changing are fresh ideas, a new outlook and new mindset.

Haven't perfected all those attributes yet, but I'm working at them. . . (while trying to breathe new life into my current 45 y/o house at the same time.) For some reason, my "kids" (both in their 40s now and DIL can't understand why I would want to live in the same house for 45 years. With updated features and new furnishings in all directions, I can't understand why not.
on Tuesday at 11:56am   
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...
Need suggestions with the blank space above bookshelves
We have tall (10') ceilings in our family room and...
I have a cave in the middle of my backyard .what do I do with it?
The cave is positioned between the main house and the...
TV Unit designs
Wall mountable TV unit with a back drop of creamy #stonecladded...
counter tops please
What is the name of this counter top pls. thanks........