Need help for living room
tropicaliente
The paint color has been changed, the furniture and curtains will remain the same. However, the coffee table and end table must go. Any recommendations for a face-lift on a budget??? Thanks in advance.
chookchook2
First have a Bon voyage party for the tables. If on a tight budget, try Ikea's website, or thrift stores and garage sales.
December 8, 2013 at 7:37am        Thanked by tropicaliente
lonecouleeranch
Some art work on the walls. An area carpet...making sure at least the front legs of the furniture sit on the carpet. New throw pillows and perhaps a blanket as well. The round tables with the lamps on them I would remove and replace with new side tables. Remove the nick nacks from the top of the tv. Is one of the entry blocked off? For the furniture you have the couch and chair? Nothing else?
December 8, 2013 at 7:46am        Thanked by tropicaliente
MAJ Interiors
I'm curious to see what is under the table cloth for your side tables. If the piece underneath is not bad, I would leave it uncovered. Otherwise it reminds me of something you would see in a banquet hall. You need to layer a bit more, to create a more cozy feeling. I would recommend a rug, some artwork (possibly some black and white photos to keep it classic) and of course a new coffee table that doesn't feel as heavy. Oh and dispose of the hanging flower pot with the fake flowers, they are no longer in style.
December 8, 2013 at 7:49am        Thanked by tropicaliente
Dar Eckert
What color did you paint? Get new tables but if you can't I would take off the base on the coffee table and end table. Then get ball feet for the legs so the table sits at the right height then paint the tables in a shabby chic look or charcoal gray, black etc. Get rid of the skirted tables or leave just one. Put a new skirt on maybe a black and white plaid, blues or gray prints etc. I have attached some color combinations. I particularly like the red sofa with the graphic black and white rug.

Black, White And Red All Over: Charles Pavarini III Design Associates, Inc.
Bridge Street Residence Living Room
The Style Sisters
December 8, 2013 at 8:14am        Thanked by tropicaliente
abbyjean
Craigslist can also be your friend. Check there every day and you will find that right tables. They might need to be painted or polished, but that can work cheaply for you.

For now, the one end of the couch has two tables. Remove the round ones and slide it over by the couch.....at the other end. Pull the chair closer to the couch area so it can share the end table. You might be fine with one in the room.
December 8, 2013 at 8:24am        Thanked by tropicaliente
abbyjean
Another idea......can the tv go directly across from the couch? Then put the chair down on the other end of the couch by the window.....again, with only the wooden table. That will open up your display piece there, too.

Art work can also be found on craigslist.
December 8, 2013 at 8:27am        Thanked by tropicaliente
Ditch all the tables and the lamps can go to the bedroom. Craig's List might be a good both to sell and buy. I'd suggest a smaller coffee table and a side table for the chair. Add an arc floor lamp for a timely touch. If the display cabinet is not lighted, I'd install lighting in it. Art over the sofa and a rug to anchor things and you should be set for a while.
December 8, 2013 at 8:33am        Thanked by tropicaliente
studio10001
I'm going to assume the tables are covered for good reason? I suggest adding wider tops, and a patterned layer over the existing cloth, along with trim - which can also be added to a cushion or two ( three is plenty on the sofa; try moving the fourth to the chair). One porcelain figure on the table, and one lower piece to balance is plenty, as you want to leave room to place a cup or book there, too. You might play with putting a couple of books or stone blocks to raise the lamps, as well.
You could re-purpose your existing coffee table by removing the base and upholstering the top. The attached photos show both tufted and smooth options.
[houzz=Architectural and Interior Photography][houzz=Sandra Ericksen Design]
I agree re some artwork. If the budget doesn't stretch that far, you might consider using framed fabric there. Remove the square table .All of the above can be accomplished for under $100.
Budget allowing: trade the square table for a slightly longer, narrow one to be centered under the front window for your plants. I would also keep an eye out for deals on potted palms to place to its right. Adding an area rug may be your largest expenditure, but will likely have the most singular impact on the room, and is also a good idea. Best of luck on your project.
December 8, 2013 at 8:34am        Thanked by tropicaliente
blaze777
Wall picture , area rug a couple of throw pillows. actually I like tables. If you are on a budget and the tables are real wood how about sanding the tables down and stain them a different color?
tropicaliente
For some reason, I only just read all of your comments. I never received any e-mail notifications...
December 31, 2013 at 6:58pm     
You must have switched off the notifications.
December 31, 2013 at 7:33pm        Thanked by tropicaliente
chookchook2
Hey tropicaliente, I'm so sorry, I only get emails for one thread, the others not, so I have to go searching for them! Very annoying. Did you do things to your room?
December 31, 2013 at 7:34pm        Thanked by tropicaliente
chookchook2
:)
January 1, 2014 at 4:05am     
Go glass tables. to lighten look of room with that bold red sofa. Get a area rug 8x10 in creams with a touch of red. Bigger base on lamps. White shades. Big coffee table books on coffee. Art over sofa a 45" sunburst mirror hang 7" from top of sofa back TJMax has them.
January 1, 2014 at 10:50am        Thanked by tropicaliente
tropicaliente
no chookchook2, not yet... I plan to shortly
January 1, 2014 at 7:18pm   
tropicaliente
thanks to all of you for the great advice!
January 1, 2014 at 7:18pm   
ahillswife
Contemporary espresso tables - Dar E shows a few great examples. Lamps that are a larger scale.
January 1, 2014 at 7:23pm        Thanked by tropicaliente
French limestone fireplace
Hello everyone :) I need some help about the fireplace.......
kitchen backsplash
I have compared and looked for months and have finally...
Help, we don't like the brick! and the overall look...
What would you suggest to help update this a little?...
Landscaping Old Above Ground Pool Area
Hi Houzzers! Our backyard in Canberra Australia needs...
Is a TV in the bathroom too much?
I am rethinking my bathroom layout and wondering if...