Playroom for 9, 6, & 4 Year olds
rjharkins2002
I am having trouble trying to create a space for my three kids. My 9 yr old refuses to play in the room anymore because it not cool. His Xmas present should take care of this, but it still leaves the design dilemma.
dclostboy
Change color and take up foam letters...space looks big enough for three dedicated areas with plenty of room for shared storage.
December 8, 2013 at 7:40am     
MAJ Interiors
Paint the walls white. The colour comes from the toys and artwork. It will instantly change the feel and make the space a little more sophisticated but still fun.
December 8, 2013 at 8:17am     
rjharkins2002
MAJ Interiors I see were your going, but I'm looking for some storage solutions, seating etc. we are putting a flat screen tv in for Xmas with some game systems across from the sofa. This should give you an idea of how I want to update for my 9 year old but still maintain the playroom for my 4 year old with the foam letters (they are his favorite). I know there's a way, I just don't know how to do it.
December 8, 2013 at 8:58am     
sieglerdesign
Furniture is too, adult. What is budget? What absolutely stays? What are top criteria for each child? I will post solutions for you if I can have more input.
December 8, 2013 at 10:33pm   
bubbasgma
rjharkins2002- Your room is bright and colorful. You've obviously put a lot of thought into it. Ikea has great design and storage ideas for kids. Check out their website.

But, having worked with kids for many years....I'm wondering if "not cool" is really code for either....I don't want to hang out in the basement when all the action is upstairs? Or...I don't want to hang out down there because I'm 9 and they are 6 and 4 and messing with my stuff? Are they all boys?
December 8, 2013 at 10:50pm     
Space & Place Interiors
Yes, I would change the wall color (white or pale grey), and then do a large stripe in magnetic or chalkboard paint horizontally across the whole space. Change the couch and chair, remove the oriental rug and go with something more contemporary - simple stripes maybe. Instead of the couch, what about a futon or bean bag chairs? Or if you want a couch go with something more like the one attached--kid friendly cool! The curvy table also seems "babyish" in terms of what a 9 YO might think (I have one at home myself…) maybe a long rectangular tabletop like the ones from IKEA and some colorful rolling office chairs--a different color for each kid, or all one color--would feel more "cool" to him and also give more space to spread out from one another. Or separate Parsons desks lined up along the wall...Putting doors on the cabinetry to hide the younger kids toys might also help.
December 8, 2013 at 11:11pm     
rjharkins2002
These are all great ideas, and things that I have never thought of myself. I love the idea of changing up the color and adding a stripe. Adding doors to cover the toys would be a simple, but would make a huge impact. I've always hated the table and would love to get rid of it. We are on a rather tight budget, so ikea is also a place I need to check out.

Thanks everyone for all your input. You've all been so helpful :-)
December 9, 2013 at 5:56am     
chookchook2
December 9, 2013 at 7:30am   
happyasaclam
chook, your video won't play for me, but then again I'm on my stupid ipad :(
December 9, 2013 at 7:35am   
Space & Place Interiors
chair and couch I posted are both IKEA and the desk is West Elm--all budget-friendly options :-) Show us your update when you get it done! Have fun!
December 9, 2013 at 7:36am     
happyasaclam
You know, if you are planning to use a system like Kinect, there may not be enough room in front of the sofa. Ours is farther away from that and picks up movement of the people on the sofa and that messes up the game :((
December 9, 2013 at 7:43am   
happyasaclam
Love that zebra decal!
December 9, 2013 at 8:28am     
Rina
See below. You'll probably have to float your cursor on the pic to see what I'm on about. Remember: kids have no taste; kids do not give a continental fig for decor.
December 9, 2013 at 8:52am   
bubbasgma
happy-
Had a chalkboard mural in a reception room. Unsupervised kids colored on it, and on the doors, and on the door frames with crayons from the crayon bin. It was receptionist's worst nightmare.

Had a chalkboard wall in a play therapy room. Was hard to keep myself, and the rest of the room, clean. Dust went everywhere, the carpet, the furniture, down the walls in the hallway.

Before that, was a wall mounted roll of butcher paper. Was always scrubbing marker off the wall. Went to the chalkboard idea after a child inadvertently got a hold of a Sharpie.

Oh...and the butcher paper roll had had a nice border "frame" painted around it. Even with sanding and primer, the "frame" was still there and would cause little blips in their drawings.

Next idea was going to be a magnetic wall, until a co-worker pointed out that the magnets could de-magnetize our ID cards, credit cards and electronic door openers.

So, for Now anyway, I like the decal idea.
December 9, 2013 at 9:00am     
bubbasgma
I'd like a whole forest of Coat-Tree Decals, as well.

December 9, 2013 at 9:10am     
happyasaclam
I hear ya, bubbasgma! Kids and writing implements do not mix. Even the washable markers stain upholstery and clothes. The school where we send our grandkids always ask for markers at the beginning of the year and I cringe. I buy them off brand t-shirt and jeans. Nothing fancy. It won't stay fancy long. Lol.
December 9, 2013 at 9:11am     
bubbasgma
Now....if someone would design a great way to store Legos!! World peace would certainly follow!
December 9, 2013 at 9:18am     
erinsean
How about a plastic bin with rollers on for the Legos.....but someone (ahem!) would have to put them in the bin.
December 9, 2013 at 11:29am     
December 9, 2013 at 12:20pm   
rjharkins2002
I just wanted to update everyone. We all agreed on a paint color for the playroom. Renovations are underway! I am using lots of your ideas, and I will post some pictures when we are finished.
Thank you all for your help!! :-)
January 8, 2014 at 4:49am     
bubbasgma
I bet the kids are excited! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
January 8, 2014 at 9:10am     
From zero to hero
I love character homes. I have been eyeing this house...
Need help with TV wall.
Not sure if pictures should go on either side of TV....
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...
Help! What rug would work with my patterned curtains?!
Hello! I'm decorating my bedroom and I need to find...
Matching exiting floor tile for other 1/2 of room
Buying a beach condo that has existing tile in dining...