How to handle TV wall in Family Room with huge fireplace?
justinandlaura1
Hi There - We just moved into our new (1978) ranch style home and have a design dilemma we are hoping to get some ideas on. We have a huge, remodeled kitching/living room that we will spend most of our time in. The issue is the TV setup isn't exactly perfect. Logically it would go on the wall with the fireplace as it feels like the natural place for the TV, however the fireplace is huge masonry wood burning fireplace and its completely not feasible to put a tv on it (and it would look odd). The only other place to put it is on a side wall where we can still arrange the furniture to be somewhat normal in the living space by not blocking the fireplace, etc. Question is, we wanted to make the TV wall/unit/etc look nice and fit with the living room without just plopping it on a stand. Any thoughts on what might look really nice given this setup? Also to note, the living room couch is being replaced with the Restoration Hardware lancaster (bromton cocoa leather) couch and a RH rustic coffee table to give an idea on style.
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
What you need is balance. The TV looks big partly because the stand it is on is too small. Get a media stand that is about 6' wide. You can hang some art on either side of the TV or put up some shelves to help make it appear part of a grouping. If that is going to be the wall where the TV goes ( I agree that over the fireplace isn't a good idea.) then you just need to commit to it and make it work. Good luck!
December 9, 2013 at 6:23am     
houssaon
You could try it in the corner to the right of the fireplace. Face the sofa on an angle toward it.
December 9, 2013 at 6:23am     
justinandlaura1
Thanks for the replies. I hear you on the balance issue. That tiny media console was from a small tv that we are using in the interim just to get the tv off the ground. I'm debating on whether a media stand would look better than a larger built-in type of cabinet. At our last house we had a deeper niche where we had someone build a nice cabinet from dark reclaimed wood (it was beautiful). However without a recessed niche, im not sure how to accomplish something like that without ending up with a huge "bookcase" type of thing that sticks out and looks a bit dated. Any ideas around that or if thats just a bad idea altogether? re: the corner: The thing that we have against us in that corner is the large window that is in that corner. The TV would overlap over part of the window and probably look a bit odd.
Thanks,
JD
December 9, 2013 at 9:39am   
Sustainable Dwellings
Wall mount your TV and find some sleek looking articles around it.... hide the cords. That really looks like a comfy home.
December 9, 2013 at 10:05am   
tennisanyone
I do not like the tv on that wall and would move it on the right of the fireplace. I would get stools for the bar area and continue with the cabinets into your family room making a entertainment/bar area complete with mini frig/wine frig and I would do upper cabinets as well. I would turn the couch towards to fireplace/tv then.
December 9, 2013 at 10:14am     
justinandlaura1
Just moved things around to check out the corner placement. Not sure if I'm just not used to it, but I'm not in love with that placement. The couch needs to be parallel with the room (tried angling it and its a no-go for sure). This leaves the couch not lined up with TV viewing very well and a little offset as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the TV next to the fireplace, seems like a massive wall of stuff, but definitely like to hear others opinions outside of our own. Here's some quick pics of what it looks like with the corner setup.
December 9, 2013 at 11:24am   
I like this hidden tv set up. Decorative wood panels that slide to hide, then also provides extra seating below with the x benches. I think a bit taller would be more appropriate for your space.

December 9, 2013 at 11:33am   
tennisanyone
Remove the black cabinet between the windows and live with it a few days. I think having another black unit there is throwing off the room too. I like it better because you can now see the tv and the beautiful fireplace. Remember, once you get window treatments/drapes and possibibly an area rug, the room will come together. Do you think you would add an entertainment/bar area. Not sure what your kitchen looks like but maybe you can post that too.
December 9, 2013 at 12:30pm     
tennisanyone
One more thing, I also feel that you are now looking outside instead of just a wall with a tv.
December 9, 2013 at 12:35pm   
justinandlaura1
I removed the dark cabinet from that area and it helped. We'll have to let it sink in a bit to see how we like this arrangement. I do like the wall setup with the sliding doors like this one:

I also attached some more pics of the surrounding area and kitchen (its a huge mess as we are moving in still). I didn't want to add more kitchen/bar type cabinets into the living area because we have a media room adjacent to the kitchen which has a bar/sink/ice maker/cabinets setup there already. It's more of a purpose built, darkened room for movies and the big games, its not where we would want to hang out most of the time, so that's why we want the TV in the living room as well. Definitely open to suggestions based on everything mentioned. Anything to keep the creative juices flowing helps, thanks a ton.
December 9, 2013 at 3:44pm     
justinandlaura1
So after a day with the TV in the corner, I think it 'could' work. The thing I'm not sure about is what to do with that blank wall where the TV was going to go (its 13' long wall from kitchen cab to entry/hall) and looks very bare without the TV setup there. I'm debating what would make the room look better: tv in corner and find something to dress up that wall or move the TV back to that wall and do some kind of a custom Barn Door Sliding TV Door setup.
December 10, 2013 at 2:52pm   
carole
maybe something like this to dress up the wall?? (last one without the sofa,as it is a walkway,you said)
December 10, 2013 at 3:13pm     
carole
..
December 10, 2013 at 3:33pm     
tennisanyone
Glad you lived with it for a day. I would do swivel bar stools so you can turn to see the tv too. How about a desk area./bar area with the same granite and cabinets but use it for a computer station. I don't see one and I see you have a small child and him being so close to school age might help if he did his homework at a computer station one day and you were in the kitchen.
December 10, 2013 at 3:52pm   
I don't think you need the black cabinet in the room but I like TV in the corner. Would put the sofa and a pair of non-matching, but same height, end tables with it on the long wall. Add lamps, coffee table and art above it. The current armchair could probably go one side of the coffee table. Then I might go for this look but substitute swivel chairs and a comfy hassock for putting feet up. They could turn for easy conversation or for watching TV.
December 10, 2013 at 3:53pm   
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
Also keep in mind, you said "for the big games", there are often two big games on at the same time, and this will give you the flexibility to have on different games at the same time. And people always gather in the kitchen!!
December 10, 2013 at 4:14pm   
You had the TV on the right wall the first time.
December 10, 2013 at 4:17pm     
cmflowers
I agree with Tennis anyone. I like what decoenthusiaste is thinking. I would also add in some endtables, coffetable & maybe a matching loveseat or 2 complimenting comfy chairs. that could fill up that blank wall. A nice tall houseplant on that wall too.
December 10, 2013 at 4:22pm   
cmflowers
I would keep your view of the TV, the items on the shelves & the fireplace in one area.
December 10, 2013 at 4:26pm   
Restoration Hardware's Toledo bar and counter stools are on sale right now.
December 10, 2013 at 4:39pm   
NW Artisan Hardware
Sliding Barn Doors is a great idea! Check out our website for more. www.nwartisanhardware.com or call 801.698.2641
December 11, 2013 at 8:48am   
H.M.I Designs
I just hung my tv on a wall just like this. remove the mantle and put it on the stone wall.
December 11, 2013 at 8:58am   
The TV looks fine on that wall. Just need to put a bigger media for it. A long 6-7f tall buffet type chest would fill wall more. You could go reclaimed wood, to stay in your style. Love new sofa and table. Placing furn like you show is best way to go. Add 8x11 area rug, print, accent color. Add pillows in same. I would paint those bookcases on fireplace to blend in. Take color from stone, a gray or latte would work. Then on every other shelve add a item, can be anything. Just different. Ck TJMax for items. Z Galleries has some nice things. No family pics save those for bedrooms. The first 2 or 3 shelves from bottom you could fill 1/3 of the way with firewood. White birch is nice. And would work with style you are going for. Add some potted palms in ceramic pots to end of buffet. To fill wall more. Just a few items on buffet on ends like tall pots in a accent color.
December 11, 2013 at 9:44am   
Add bar stools. Restoration Hardware carries some rustic industrial metal ones, that would look nice.
December 11, 2013 at 9:45am     
On wall where bookcase is remove and add a 6 ft tall floor mirror in a wide dark frame. Ikea carries. Lean on wall
December 11, 2013 at 9:46am   
Add two swivel chairs in a print. Will finish look.
December 11, 2013 at 9:50am   
Placing a big lamp n end of buffet will bring some light to that side of room.
December 11, 2013 at 9:52am   
Remodeling family room: How to design fireplace and TV area
We will demo the mantle, mouldings, entire TV cabinetry....
Need ideas for improving family room wall with fireplace and TV
We are about to re-carpet our family room and my wife...
Need help 2 story family room seating, TV wall and fireplace decor
Fireplace wall separate from TV wall and want to showcase...
Family Room: place small fireplace and TV on same wall
Family Room: would like to place small fireplace and...
Fireplace and TV focal wall in Colorado family room
We want this wall to accommodate a 50" flat screen...
Need help for new exterior paint color
My husband built this A Frame in the 70's and we are...
Unfinished living room
Is a shame to say this but for some reason or another...
Need to choose tub deck color tile to match black granite vanities
I am currently remodeling my master bathroom. I am...
Need help for my master bedroom!!! Help!!!
I'm just stuck on what to buy to bring this bedroom...
Do you grow your own veg?
Homegrown carrots, potatoes, tomatoes... There's nothing...