Household Vacation Prep
Do you have a routine you go through with your house before you leave for an extended period? Do you follow a checklist or have other tips?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

vjs12
I actually make sure my house is very clean before I go on vacation. It drives my husband nuts. (LOL) I also make a check list of everything I am packing for the trip.
December 9, 2013 at 6:39pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dclostboy
Please define vacation...
December 9, 2013 at 6:57pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
happyasaclam
Lounging in one of those chairs, looking at that blue-green water and blue sky with a cabana boy supplying me with drinks of my choice and fresh fruit and seafood would be definition enough for "vacation" for me, especially this time of year, dc! Lol. :D
December 9, 2013 at 7:05pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
troysmommy
Pack with a list, clean bedding on here to return to. Have, in the past, when our son lived with us, made arrangements to have someone come in and clean before we got back.
Could not stand to come home to a messy house.
December 9, 2013 at 7:10pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dclostboy
I spent some time at the W Vieques...they have lounges inside the infinity pool to ensure you're cool...but that was a long ago and far away galaxy
December 9, 2013 at 7:11pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
happyasaclam
well, dc! Whatcha waitin' on! Book you a flight, put your speedo in your pocket and take off! I would if I could slip away without anybody noticing! :D
December 9, 2013 at 7:17pm     
dclostboy
Actually have a week planned in private villa in Turks and Caicos in January...5 pounds to go for speedo weight.
December 9, 2013 at 8:20pm     
jdforney
We put a stop on mail & milk delivery. We make sure our immediate neighbors know we're leaving. We have one of them check on the house every couple of days (in the winter, they make sure the boiler has right water level). We make sure trash & recycling are out of the house. Dishes are done & put away. Fridge is cleaned out. Lights put on timers. Floors are swept & vacuumed. Laundry is done.

I've finally started making sure we have something in the freezer to cook when we get home. After a holiday trip, we don't want to eat take out again for a while. And we make sure there are a couple of beers in the fridge to enjoy after we've emptied the car!
December 10, 2013 at 5:40am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
I am HUGE on having a spotless house to come home to. It's just so much nicer, plus there is the added paranoia that if something (god forbid) happens to my plane, someone will see my messy house. NO THANK YOU. :)
December 10, 2013 at 9:55am     
vjs12
dclostboy, We love Turks and Caicos, Provo. Grace Bay. One of the best beaches in the world. What Island will you be on? Have a wonderful time.
December 10, 2013 at 10:58am   
happyasaclam
Don't let Christmas trip you up, dc. We ate Thanksgiving dinner with friends - no leftovers - so I was a very good girl through Thanksgiving. We'll see how Christmas goes, though! :D
December 10, 2013 at 11:17am   
5blues
We put a stop on mail. All the bathrooms are clean and sheets are done the day before. Dishwasher ran,empty. All the wash done grocery shopping done and fridge is cleaned out of any milk and leftovers trash empty. Beds made and water to the house turned off. We also turn off all electric at the box except the fridge and freezer. Saves electric. The water now gets turned off coming into my home cause I was at my mother in laws for three days at the shore and we had a 110,000 flood in our home due to the toilet fill line breaking. We had to move out for six months etc. It ruined my new kitchen etc. So I had to start from scratch. I have a check list and the kids help with it. When we take a plane there is a list each kid helps so we get out on time some load the car etc. It's so cute when you have kids in line after the parents towing a suitcase. One pushed the youngest in the stroller. We have 24 down to 6 plus a girlfriend now and they all help. People laugh. We were the only family when there was a delay at the airport that pulled out monoply and sat for four hours and played waited for the late plane. We had to stop them though they had bought a rc cars and at first they were racing them in the terminal. After one close call to a passenger (The person laughed) I said enough and pulled out the game. We have traveled on christmas day and the day after you say vacation to my kids and they will run and pack a bag. My kids have calendars and they will count down the days til their next vacation. We have a 30 day wood mickey count down that my husband made for the little ones. I need to made turtles or something for the islands for the calendar. Have a great trip. I just came back in november and july and I want to be somewhere not home. My husband said no christmas trip this year he didn't want to deal with the crowds:(
So Merry Christmas and have fun.
December 10, 2013 at 11:37am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
carole
the house is cleaned top to bottom,fridge cleaned out,milk and bread in the freezer for the first morning back,the dog goes to his "hotel" the day before we leave and our neighbours look after the chickens and the cat and check the mailbox,we have timers on the lights,just so the house does not look abandonded,in summer also cut the grass the day before,the outbuildings are locked and in winter water is turned off ...and then as soon as i am on my way i forget about the house and its time for holidays....
December 10, 2013 at 12:14pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
jessbiddle
Mail held, key to neighbor to feed cat, litterbox cleaned, cat food out, dishwasher run, trash out, recycle out, washing machine water off, heat down, TV and other electrics turned off or unplugged, lights set, fridge cleared out (and anything that can be frozen is done), house in relatively good order. I adore jdforney's idea of making a meal for when you get home. We usually get sushi but I don't even want to do that most of the time after a 10 hr drive with kids. Veggie soup sounds perfect..
December 11, 2013 at 6:53am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Laura Clarke
For the last 10 years,we have lived 6 months of the year in Mexico. By now, we're pretty good @ prepping to leave each of our homes, albeit, somewhat differently. On Vancouver Island, when we prep for Isla Mujeres, we turn off the pilot light on the fireplaces, turn the gas hot water heater to "vacation mode", and as well as all the other great comments, when we renovated our kitchen the summer before last, we bought a fridge that also has a "holiday mode". It cuts down on hydro bills but preserves whatever we have left in the fridge & freezer. I make sure all the laundry's done & fresh sheets on all the beds. Prepping to leave Mexico is a whole other ball of wax.
December 11, 2013 at 1:26pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
rosecafe
Empty every drawer in the house looking for our passports ! Once made it all the way to the airport without mine. Spent a night at an Airport Hotel with a procession of noisy jets roaring overhead all night. Never again. Oh yeah, and switch every switch in your house OFF and leave one car in the driveway.....and don't tell anyone you're away, because when you live at the beach there are always ten teenagers looking for free accom' !
December 11, 2013 at 11:00pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Owen Malbec
I make sure I've got everything with me that I would need if I were to return to find my house had been burglarized or destroyed. Possessions can be replaced, but you have to be able to document them to the insurance company. Photographs can be digital and kept on the cloud or carried in your wallet. But what about important files from your computer or filing cabinet? Bank account info? Insurance documents? Password files? If you leave home for any extended period of time, you may want to have them accessible. If you'd like to learn about a nice safe option, search for ICEarchive. We are just one solution, but a convenient, inexpensive and safe one that keeps you internet free with all that personal information. Whether with us or in some other way, please make sure to think about what your "castle" is protecting and how to ensure that you have it backed up.
December 12, 2013 at 9:27am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Clear/transparent household EXTENSION CORDS!
Where can I find these in 6-12' lengths??? Have searched...
Best fabric for furniture in household with cats.
Have had furniture ruined over the years by sharing...
Household trim
We have dark stained trim throughout our house from...
Balloon Shades Bring Innovation into Your Household
Balloon shades are the curtains that have been designed...
front
Home front look in 20 fitt with garrage..
Make this room COTTAGE like and updated! How? :)
Purchasing this and Renovating. Would love input on...
Sofa layout - help!
We're hoping to move into a new home soon and this...
Design gurus needed! Extend and remodel my ground floor please
We are planning a large double storey extension at...
Which layout is better for our master bedroom ?
Because we are moving to a new house we decided we...