Need Help with my Kitchen
Will
Our kitchen is probably the most disappointing room in our house, which is a shame considering how much time I spend in here cooking! I've attached a photo showing the room. We're thinking of ways to update the kitchen cabinets and improve the kitchen on a budget. We're thinking about refinishing the wood to an off-white color, thinking this could be nice, maybe also some ideas for a new kitchen counter? What's unseen in the picture is the fridge and gas oven, we recently replaced old ones for up to date stainless steel appliances. I'd appreciate any input on ideas, suggestions and the best way to go about making these improvements. Thanks for looking!!!
Brenda
If you want to paint your cabinets, look into Benjamin Moore "Advanced" furniture and cabinet paint. I have painted a lot of furniture with disappointing results until I discovered this stuff -- it's the bomb! I will never use any other product to paint furniture/cabinetry again (make sure you follow the direction EXACTLY).

If you want to do nice looking countertops on a budget, I would suggest looking at the butcherblock countertops at Lumber Liquidators. They offer many different woods and most cost around $300 for an 8' run. I have personal experience with both expensive Boos butcherblock counters and lumber liquidator counters, and honestly there isn't that much difference.

I like the way your cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, but I'm not really a fan of the over the door and over the window cabinets. If it were my house, I would consider taking those out.
December 10, 2013 at 5:25am        Thanked by Will
saratogaswizzlestick
My guess is you need every bit of storage you have. With such a small space you need clear counters. Can you fit in a rolling cart for your microwave, toaster and books? Remove things hanging from the wall. Change out the hardware. A glass tile backsplash in a white or cream would look great and a light quartz counter. Consider one bowl deep sink that is an under mount. Get a soap dispenser built in with the sink to cut down on visual clutter.
December 10, 2013 at 5:44am        Thanked by Will
Will
I was able to find in Island for free yesterday off craigslist, this has really helped to add additional counter space. I'm thinking about ways to potentially make use of that gap in the wall as I don't need it. Maybe just to block it in would allow more shelving or to turn it into a spice rack, I'm not sure. I cleared off some space, but I really appreciate your suggestions for clearing space and for sourcing the Butcherblock counter and paint recommendations
December 17, 2013 at 2:37pm   
Divine NY & Co.
What about adding a back splash? That is how I plan on updating my kitchen. Right now I'm thinking of glass tiles from a place like Porcelanosa. My neighbors installed a back splash in their small kitchen and it looks fantastic! http://www.porcelanosa-usa.com/home/products/mosaics.aspx
December 17, 2013 at 2:42pm     
sondramartina
What kind of hardware would you guys suggest? I have very similar cabinets and identical wood type and color. Once I tried stainless handles but they did not look very good.
December 17, 2013 at 3:19pm     
leelee
I'd go with black iron. If you're going to refinish or paint the cabinets try to sand and putty the holes where the pulls are now. Then you can replace them with a single knob. Cleaner and less fussy.
December 17, 2013 at 3:36pm   
leelee
Your cabinets would look great painted with white enamel paint including the window trim. You could paint the new island white or black.

Are you thinking of replacing counter tops?
December 17, 2013 at 3:38pm     
leelee
Don't add a backsplash unless you're replacing the counters. Then, make sure the counter people know that you do not want the 4" backsplash of counter material going up the wall.
December 17, 2013 at 3:41pm     
mfwolfe
I think the kitchen is disappointing because it is so small, not because of how it looks. But maybe the photo isn't showing the problems with the counters etc. I would save all the money and time you might put into a redo of this kitchen and plan to add on more square feet in the future. If you love to cook this kitchen would be depressing. I say that because I love to cook and had a kitchen close to this one once. But if you do decide to redo absolutely do not get a one bowl sink. Been there and it was awful. A deeper sink would be nice if you can fit it in the cabinet.
December 17, 2013 at 6:46pm     
hayleydaniels
You might be able to have your cabinets refaced with new doors for a reasonable fee.

For a budget countertop, look into Formica or other laminate. It ranges in price from about $22 to $30 a sq ft which is half or less of the cost of quartz or granite.
December 17, 2013 at 6:53pm     
Will
This week was able to make a start on kitchen updates. Blocked out the wall into the sun room/ dining room and saved additional space by mounting the microwave. The next step when we have some more money in the coming months will be to paint the cabinets and replace the hardware.
January 11, 2014 at 4:50pm   
MarleneM
Looks better already. Cabinets and counter look in goos shape. Try Rustoleum cabinet and counter transformation kits to update on a budget.
January 11, 2014 at 5:02pm     
Will
Finally finished off our Kitchen Cabinet project in the kitchen and kitchen remodel! Thanks to the entire Houzz community for your comments, suggestions and inspiration to get this done!
June 25, 2014 at 6:27am   
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
The window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
I need help with my kitchen island and my fire place
Attached are photos of my kitchen island, I was hoping...
Coffee Table Choice
My husband fell in love with this chest. He wants to...
Kitchen backsplash horror
Not happy with how this backsplash turned out so much....
Accent color help
Our Master bedroom is in need of an accent color update!...
Medallion placement help
I am hanging four painted medallions I bought and painted...
Porch patio door
Are vertical blinds dated for a porch patio door