Knock down dry wall
Rachel Bangel
We are gutting our bathroom and we are not good at drywall so we thought the knock down technique might be easier...any tips or suggestions?
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
My suggestion is don't do it in a bathroom. Knock-down finish will be a chore to keep clean. Try spray applying orange peel texture if you really want texture in a bathroom. It comes in cans and four or five cans should do it for a small bathroom on "fine" setting.

Just remember that both knock-down and orange peel won't hide anything but minor surface inconsistencies. If your drywall float is lumpy and bumpy, those will still show, just with orange peel or knock-down on the lumps and bumps.
December 10, 2013 at 12:40pm     
Fred S
I agree with ReSquare except for the spray can stuff. If you don't have the skill for a smooth wall, the junk in the cans will be a challenge and make a big mess. I only use it in extreme emergencies on small patches.
December 10, 2013 at 1:40pm     
Fred S
Get a texture that you mix with the first coat of paint and roll on if you have to, but renting a texture gun from the paint store or rental shop would be better.
December 10, 2013 at 1:43pm     
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Frankly, any of these textures require as much skill as smooth float to get right, especially, in my opinion knock-down.

But I agree with @Fred S: if the wall area is larger than one can covers, use textured paint additive or rent a hopper and do it right. I've actually found the larger, more expensive cans with the dual setting (fine/coarse PLUS pressure) can actually do a pretty good job on an open wall surface with practice, but not if it's a large wall, then it's just wasting money over renting a hopper to spray it right. Figure you'll waste two of the cans learning to get it right (it scrapes off easily enough with a drywall trowel while wet) but the cans can do a pretty good job.
December 10, 2013 at 4:35pm     
Fred S
You have to be more careful with the spray stuff. If you use a roller on the first coat over the texture, the texture will smear or even "deflate" if the roller doesn't have the right amount of paint on it at all times. Regular texture is much more forgiving in that regard.
December 10, 2013 at 4:42pm     
Knocking down a wall
How do you knock down a wall to make a half wall and...
New build - knock down or orange peel for wall texture?
Do people still do knock down? I was told it is outdated,...
Is it work knocking down this wall to open up stairs?
I am not looking to tear out/replace staircase, just...
Entry Way Guidance
I would love to get thoughts on ways to make my entry...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Paint colour for basement room opening onto garden?
I'm painting a basement room in my townhouse which...