Bleaching a Duvet

autigerDecember 11, 2013
You guys have been so helpful, so I thought I would ask. I can't find any info I need on the web!
I made a mistake. I bought a duvet and it is NOT returnable. It turned out that it is much to CREAM colored and I need to get it whiter to go with my bedding.... So, I am considering bleaching it. Do you have any advise on how to do this or a better way to whiten my bedding.. Lesson learned.... I am not the kind that can make impulse decisions... UGH. Please help. Thank you!
apple_pie_order
What are the fibers that make up the outer layer and inner layers? What does the care tag say?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 8:28AM
chookchook2
If it is cotton you might be able to bleach it if you agitate it enough to do it evenly, then hang it in the sun to dry?
    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 8:45AM
Before you apply bleach, as apple pie said, you need to know what fibre has been used. Cotton can be bleached (and you can even buy whitener to put in the wash) but if it is a man-made fibre chances are much slimmer
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 8:48AM
autiger
Thank you so much. It is 100% Belgian Linen. What does that mean regarding the bleach? I am so clueless.... The care instructions say that it can be machine washed and dried. Thank you for your help.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 8:53AM
I believe that since linen is a natural fiber it should be somewhat bleachable. May I suggest not doing it all at once but instead putting a very small amount of bleach (ideally non-chlorine or something approved for linen fibers) in the machine over a couple of washings? That way there is less danger of an uneven distribution and a blotchy duvet cover. I've done this with some cotton towels that were a bit too creamy, and after a few washings now they are exactly the shade of white I wanted. Be aware, however, that chlorine bleach weakens the fibers of materials and should usually be avoided.
I have the exact opposite problem, BTW, with my new duvet cover.. The cotton one I ordered is a bit too bright a white and I wanted an off-white or ivory shade. But since the duvet inside it is ivory, it softens the white a bit and I'm keeping it. But I think perhaps we need to trade duvet covers. ;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 8:59AM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:00AM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:03AM
You could try throwing it in washer with bleach. Or just fold down, and layer another one over it. What are colors on walls and accent. Go that color, get shams to match. Add pillows in accent color. And last, don't buy anything you can't return.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:07AM
Also get a bed shirt. The goes under mattress and over box springs, it can be a solid accent color. All the bedding does not have to match, just stay in same color tones.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 9:09AM
Melissa
I have vintage linen bedding. The white isn't a bright white but rather a soft white. Linen doesn't come in bright white, the fibers just aren't that shade. To get a fitted sheet I had to buy new " white" linen, it wasn't as soft a white as the vintage sheets but it wasn't cotton bright white either. I WOULD NOT try to bleach it.
You can make whites look brighter by using blue as a contrast color.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:23AM
Wendy
Linen doesn't bleach!
    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:41AM
chookchook2
Not chlorine bleach, it says. Sun bleaching is the thing,it says.
    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:44AM
chookchook2
Trade covers with feeny. Meet in a neutral place, and don't kiss on the first date. It doesn't say you can't kiss linen, unless you have chlorine lips.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 9:46AM
apple_pie_order
It's possible to bleach plain untreated linen cloth with chlorine bleach, as people have done for over a hundred years. However, modern coatings that add optical brighteners, other treatments that improve the hand or increase soil repelling properties may alter the response to chlorine bleach. One possible outcome of using chlorine bleach on finished fabric is yellowing rather than whitening.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 11, 2013 at 10:29AM
autiger
So thankful for you guys.... Don't think I want to bleach it.... To risky. It may find a new home in the family. My mom has her eye on it... Thank you so much!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 4:06AM
chookchook2
Best case scenario! No worries.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 4:50AM
omagnes
Belgian linen: it probably will schrink, so use the cold cycle with the bleach. I would line dry and iron when still damp. Good luck:-))
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:03AM
omagnes
Feeny: have you considered the tea bag method?
Make a pot of tea with several teabags and let it seep for awhile. If you have a top loader, fill with water, add the tea mixture, give it a good swirl , put in the duvet and again give a good swirl and let it soak for a few hours. Repeat if necessary. I have tried this with success with white cotton draperies made from sheets.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:12AM
Ooh, that's a good technique w110129. I may give it a try. I have an old-fashioned top loader, so no problem setting up a soak cycle. Thanks!
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:15AM
omagnes
Chookchook2. I have learned a thing or two from your 2 websites on Belgian linnen. Never too old to learn something new. I still have my mothers white linnen/damask tablecloth with 12 napkins. I used bleach without damage. Perhaps I will be more careful next time. But, hey they only get used 3-4 x a year and the next generation is not too much interested in getting them.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:22AM
yoboseiyo
if you like blues and teals, use those. they make creams and whites seem whiter.
    Bookmark   Thanked by autiger    December 12, 2013 at 5:41AM
yoboseiyo
that's too bad for them, w110129!
i LOVE linen damask. :D
    Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:42AM
Need to update my home for a warmer climate place!
I recently moved to a place near the beach. Unfortunatelly,...
jess262
Master Bedroom Needs a Cure for the Blahs!
My 12'X15' master bedroom has been neglected and needs...
beverett1
Help with oceanfront rental condo
Need help with oceanfront rental condo. We just purchased...
Christie Coffman
I desperately need help with my daughters room!
I think I have the bones figured out... walls are BM...
jburgess412
Little girls bedroom
Ok so Since I reliZed that I am challenged in the interior...
akopec
compound landscaping.
I am looking for an idealistic extreme on how i can...
Dresco Shem
Is this a sensible kitchen layout?
Newly minted homeowner here, with a kitchen layout...
Joel Rosenbaum
Need help with colors
We are painting the entire inside of the house and...
larsrstanley
Dining area and reading nook
Dear all, Would it be possible to add a console next...
Graziella Brincat
Help with ensuite layout
Hi, we are in the middle of renovating our house and...
niamh6426