Need layout help
eggp1878
December 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought a city centre apartment with my fiancé. This is the kitchen/entertaining room. We need some help with the layout. We would really like to utilise the view on the far wall with a breakfast bar. But we are really stuck with the rest of the layout. We have another room as a small living area so would like this one to be a cool entertaining/kitchen/sitting room. It's also a strange shape so we need all the help we can get, we really want to get it right...

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
reba120
Can you add a cool dining set to this area? Where do you live?
December 11, 2013 at 10:25am      Thanked by eggp1878
Christina
Cute kitchen! Anyway you could sketch up a floorplan for us so we can give you more helpful advice?
December 11, 2013 at 10:42am      Thanked by eggp1878
eggp1878
Here a (very) rough floor plan... We want a breakfast bar with stools under window 1. Also to include a casual sitting area preferably. It's just trying to get a balance. It's our first home so were struggling. It's Liverpool by the way.
December 11, 2013 at 11:28am   
Christina
That is a tricky layout! When you say a casual sitting area, do mean like a casual dining area or just seating like a settee and chairs?
December 12, 2013 at 7:46am      Thanked by eggp1878
PRO
Heartland Cabinet Factory Outlet
I would recommend going to a local designer and they can show you many options on a design software. You will need to have a professional to come out and measure due to the some of the obstacles such as the angle in the corner, window heights, etc.
December 12, 2013 at 9:55am        Thanked by eggp1878
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
There are several options. Do you have any existing furniture that you are using?

Is there an opening to the kitchen? Is that a pass through along that entire wall? Or is it one big opening?

Is the box that you labeled "BEAM" really a COLUMN???

If you are thinking of buying any new furniture, some stores will provide a free design service of laying out the options for you.

My immediate thoughts would be to place an 8' couch in the middle of the room facing the 17' window wall.........The back of the couch would be about 9 feet from that 17' window wall.
I would place two big chairs facing the couch with their backs to the windows with a few end tables and lamps and a coffee table. You could put a long thin 36" high table / buffet behind the couch.

Next to the "Beam / column" I would place a dining room table. It could be a small rectangle right up againt the column or a small round table in the middle of that space.
December 12, 2013 at 10:16am      Thanked by eggp1878
mpoulsom
I would build an L-shaped bar starting along the window and then turning right in front of your kitchen, if that makes sense. You could have bar stools along the window area and facing kitchen as well. Then you can have storage on the kitchen side of the bar and more work countertop area as well while cooking and entertaining.
December 12, 2013 at 11:24am   
mpoulsom
[houzz=
]

Here's a simple bar at a window....and I'm attaching what layout I suggested earlier. Hard to describe really. Tried scratching it out.
December 12, 2013 at 12:46pm        Thanked by eggp1878
eggp1878
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Some really good ideas. My fiancé and I particularly love the idea of an L shaped breakfast bar unit. This would utilise the view and also provide more storage. Just what I was looking for. Thanks everyone. We're completely starting from scratch to all who've asked. We have no furniture yet as it's our first home, so it's exciting as it's like one big project.
December 13, 2013 at 8:00am     
mpoulsom
Have a blast and think outside the box! :)
December 13, 2013 at 9:43am      Thanked by eggp1878
Lynnie
Even though you have another area for entertaining, this area would be great for that too. You could go with a folding bar and bar stools on the opposite side. That way you have a morning section and an evening section. Go with some nice art work too.
December 13, 2013 at 9:55am      Thanked by eggp1878