80's Nightmare......kitchen
bbretz
Our Florida home is stuck in the 80's. We are getting ready for a re-do this fall and being renovation rookies....we need help. We will remove the box lighting and hope to bump up the ceiling over the island. Every built-in cabinet (kitchen, wet bar, dining room and bathrooms) and counter top GOES. We already tore out hanging cabinets over the bar which opens it up nicely but we seriously lack cabinets. Obviously, new appliances. Karl (a German) leans toward European contemporary but that style is way too industrial for me. I'm more earthy tones and textures not exactly traditional.....more transitional but agree to keep it simple. Would love input!!
Greg
It sounds like you are gutting your kitchen, there are so many great options. Here is an example of a kitchen our office recently completed #jmkarchitects.com
2 Likes   Thanked by bbretz    December 11, 2013 at 12:32PM
Residential Design TN - Tracy Nichols
You can gain a large amount of cabinet storage space by a simple change in the are by the refrigerator. I would design that entire wall with a built in pantry beside the refrigerator. Go with a counter depth refrigerator will provide a little more floor space and complete the look with perhaps a panel ready model. Consider putting the peninsula bar on an angle, perhaps 30-45 degrees, or making it counter height. I would think about a shaker with applied molding - a small bead or bead and cove on the inside of the flat panel. Use light natural colors in the space with SS appliances. Decide what feature you want to make stand out: cabinets, tops, or backsplash and keep everything else simple. I would lean toward a really nice high end stone and splurge on that; that would take your eye off the ceiling if it can't be raised. Sounds like a really fun project, good luck!
1 Like   Thanked by bbretz    December 11, 2013 at 1:06PM
Jeremy Walker
I wish I had an 80's kitchen like that... at least there's more counter space than I have :( :(
1 Like   December 11, 2013 at 1:19PM
katesink
We just finished our renovation last year of our 1950's hideous kitchen. I tried to combine modern and traditional elements. It takes a while to get there but you will be so happy when it's done! Good Luck and keep us updated.
4 Likes   Thanked by bbretz    December 11, 2013 at 2:31PM
bbretz
Wow....that is really pretty. Love your choices of material and color and the type of sink you chose.....so much easier to clean around than one with a rim.
1 Like   December 11, 2013 at 3:35PM
cordybrown
katesink - how does that counter level drawer work for you (and what is in it? )? I love the look but am very reluctant to ever give away counter space especially near the sink. Dishes and whatnot do not always get put away as quickly as I would like. I love your color pallette and cabinet style. It seems both unique and serene yet adaptable to many styles of home.
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 3:46PM
rinqreation
The layout looks ok, but I'd lose the desk and have some full height (and deep) cabinets along the fridge wall. Where does that door lead to?

And what will you do with adjecent rooms? Are you happy with the way you need to walk around the house?

If you want to see what you can do with the space, play with an online kitchen planner and envision yourself walking around in it, cooking (work triangle or at least some logic). Think of open doors (&dishwasher), traffic lines, ventilation, plumbing, daylight, hot pans, etc.
1 Like   Thanked by bbretz    December 12, 2013 at 5:49AM
bbretz
Along that desk wall I would like a pantry type enclosure with a countertop where everyday items like toaster and coffee maker could be plugged in and then doors closed to "declutter". The doorway beside the fridge leads to garage and beside the current pantry leads to the dining room, which we could live without, if we came up with a brilliant plan of adding that space to the kitchen. (Picture attached) there are two huge arched windows in that room and also a built in cabinet/shelf area that will be getting ripped out. Because the tear out will damage the floor...we will have to try to patch the floor, replace the floor or rebuild something in that space.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 6:39AM
360 Design
Bb if you want to bring your kitchen up to date, take a look at what we can offer.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 7:09AM
rinqreation
You don't need to tear out the dining room wall, but a window-like hole next to the doorway would be great for letting in light.
Idea: Cabinets with glass doors and glass back with glassware in it?
Plantation by the Sea
Briar Creek Farm
kitchen and baths
Kitchen examples
1 Like   Thanked by bbretz    December 12, 2013 at 7:27AM
bbretz
I hadn't thought of that idea. Thanks. Definitely something to consider!
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 7:29AM
shastacat
Lets face it, your biggest eye sore is the lighting- Yikes! Can you afford to covert it into a tray ceiling with a simple chandelier? I would revamp the rest in stages. I'm sure it will turn out well... Lots of potential:)
1 Like   Thanked by bbretz    December 12, 2013 at 7:35AM
rinqreation
Also make sure there is at least 47" clearance between cabinets/island, if you'll be in the kitchen with more people often, more is better. Losing the island will not be a bad choice if necessary, because space to walk around and not bump into eachother is worth something too.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 7:46AM
smonaco5709
What are you going to do with the ceiling - I have almost the same thing, have pulled the D'George part of the ceiling down (rungs & plastic panels) just have the bare bulbs right now, looking for ideas.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 8:21AM
360 Design
if you want to send me some photos I can give you good idea of what it would look like without lighting.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 9:18AM
bbretz
Smonaco5709 we are hoping we can level off the whole kitchen ceiling to be as high as the adjoining dining room, then cabinets can go all the way up and some sort of recessed lighting installed. If it can't be completely leveled off then we will have a recessed area there in the center again with recessed lighting. Some suggestions to remove the island are going to be considered as long as we can "make up" the storage somewhere else.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 10:12AM
smonaco5709
Thanks, but the picture above is almost the same
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 3:54PM
rinqreation
Trying to see the whole picture here. From the pictures you posted, below is what I could come up with. There must be more to it, but my question is: What areas will you use for dining? Because I see bar stools and a table on the first picture, the dining behind the pantry is a modest sized room next to the kitchen, but in the living room dilemma it's fairly large and behind the fireplace. And again there is the nook from the first picture. I'm confused. Please explain your rooms and future/preferred functions?
1 Like   Thanked by bbretz    December 13, 2013 at 1:37AM
bbretz
You did a remarkable job coming up with the floor plan from minimal information. To complete your picture......A walkway follows the right side of your diagram from the corner of the garage, past the "dining 2) and in front of "dining 1" is the entry door and a hallway.

What you have labeled as "dining 1" is a mystery space to us. We won't use it as a dining area because we have other options for dining and a very low need for a "formal dining space". Also this space is really tight for a dining area...especially because the door to the master bedroom is just off the rear of the right wall. You see this space when you enter so I want it to be nice and welcoming but want to keep it uncluttered....perhaps with furniture clustered along the right wall; two reading chairs, narrow table against the wall with lamps, display of art on the wall.....it is still up in the air. To the right is an upside down "L" wing where you pass a powder room and then a hallway with three bedrooms and a guest bath.
0 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 6:09AM
rinqreation
In that case an open fireplace would be nice, so the 'front room' will be a part of the living room. Seating on both sides; sectional for watching tv on one side, lounge chairs for reading on the other.

If the dining also has a hallway door close to the garage, consider closing off the one in the kitchen so you can have a full wall of high cabinets. Will look great, especially when the fridge gets a doorpanel too.
Transparent cabinets on top of closed ones instead of the pantry and dining room wall, like I mentioned before.
Some kind of beam/soffit above the bar to keep the kitchen visually separated from the living and keep cooking fumes in check :)
1 Like   Thanked by bbretz    December 13, 2013 at 8:10AM
rinqreation
Should I also post this in the other dilemma? ;)
Help! 80s laminate kitchen nightmare...
I HATE my 80s kitchen, but when I bought 5 years ago...
hollymarie221
Please help me with nightmare 80s kitchen cabinets and faux brick!!
We are closing on our first new home this week and...
Undergroundfor Tea
80's Nightmare....living rooms
Our Florida home is stuck in the 80's. We are getting...
bbretz
1990's Kitchen Nightmare!
Moving into my Dream Home soon, unfortunately the kitchen...
lillylickerish
Kitchen with masonite walls and 80s kitchen furniture.
Masonite walls in a kitchen in a house builded 1892....
Clara
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Need advice for living room storage
I have all windows and no wall space in my townhouse...
mlp48
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Before & After: Two-Story Colonial Makeover in Bethesda, MD
This dated 2-story colonial underwent a complete transformation...
MARK IV Builders, Inc
Worst kitchen/floor in the world
Hello I got my floor done about 8 years ago and it...
Shanti Ramrup