Help me select a backsplash
Mehwish Amin
Really like the ones with the different size tiles but am worried that the big ones are too large for the surface. adding pictures of the floors and cabinets to help with the selection Thanks ALL in advance.
Other

Other

Other

Other

Other
Mehwish Amin
i do not think the pictures came through so reattaching them..
1 Like   December 11, 2013 at 11:33AM
Mehwish Amin
adding floor and cabinet pictures
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 11:34AM
Mehwish Amin
one more..
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 11:35AM
Kevin Strader
I like the 12" x 12" mosaic. The lighter tiles pick up on the cabinet color.
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 1:50PM
James B. Batts Distributing
Are you planning on using these mosaics as accents or on the whole backsplash?
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 1:53PM
crp1234
You have beautiful floors and cabinets. Don't buy Home Depot stock backsplash. Go to a tile place and pick something fabulous. The backsplash will make or break the kitchen.
2 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 3:23PM
dstemple1956
I have found that some of the big box stores have fabulous tile choices and you can get them for a much better price than the tile stores charge but that's just me working within a tight budget. I say go for what you love no matter where you purchase it!
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 4:27PM
indianpatti
I like the ones that are larger/stainless. I've had very good luck at the big box stores and lately, they have been getting in some very modern styles. Even found 3 x 12 glass tile in great colors!
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 4:31PM
Mehwish Amin
Thank you for your comments..I a want the mosaic backsplash on all exposed walls..there aren't that many in the kitchen. I have been searching online..high and low. The selection in tile stores were limited and over priced. Was not to thrilled with boss stores either. Maybe I

I am spoiled by Houzz pictures.. looking for something modern..the last two samples I got were to modern apparently...it sounds like none of these seem to exciting to the crowd..am I right..I would like to stay around$16 per square foot, at the most...
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 4:57PM
kadodi
I think they all are very busy .... Have you thought of just a solid color subway tile?
2 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 5:16PM
James B. Batts Distributing
Hi Mehwish.. do you have a price range per sf? I have access to all types of mosaics.. with wholesale pricing :)
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 4:55AM
James B. Batts Distributing
PS. Your Floor is GORGEOUS!
1 Like   December 12, 2013 at 4:55AM
rgrossba
I agree that they look busy. How about a light glass tile? Just a thought
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 5:33AM
yoboseiyo
i think they're all too busy for the whole area.
i think you need bigger plain tiles.
1 Like   December 12, 2013 at 6:04AM
Valley Floors
We would suggest a larger format tile for the backsplash. Those glass and metal mixes are also VERY trendy right now. It might quickly date your kitchen update. If you want a timeless look that can be updated as time passes, we would suggest an off white subway tile to blend with your cabinets, and a smaller accent piece that can be changed out in time if you want to update the look.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mehwish Amin    December 12, 2013 at 6:20AM
Mehwish Amin
thanks.. that is the kind of input i was looking for.. it is abrand new home and not as modern/contemporary as I would like it to be. I want to keep it fresh and wanted to add something beyond the cream/white tones. I like the sparkle and pzazz that mosaics offer. If we go with one color, what color would i choose? the attached family room is greyish with punches of yellow and some blue.. yes i know more trendy.. with white barcelona chairs.. if i can find them. thought of doing yellow subway tile but was worried of it being too much color- in case i get tired of yellow
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 6:55AM
360 Design
Mehwish, what do you think of not doing tile?
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 7:12AM
crp1234
How many square feet do you need? If it is very little square footage, you may be surprised at how inexpensive an upgrade can be. Say you have 20 SF of tile at $16, that is $320. The install will likely be the same cost no matter what. A backsplash at $25/sf would be $500. For $180, the difference could make or break the kitchen. Small spaces can get a splurge since you don't need as much material. Then you can get inexpensive knobs/pulls. Try artistic tile.
2 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 11:32AM
Mehwish Amin
That is true. I am willing to splurge a little. I do not want to pick one color subway tile simply coz I don't want to use cream or white and so not want to be stuck with an accent color. I thought mosaic selection would keep it more neutral and lend to changing styles if I could pull out the dark floors and stainless steel appliances. The kit hen opens to family room, which has gray with yellow accent decor. Feeling a little discouraged, have not thought about backsplash too much lately...
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 6:58PM
crp1234
I've been in the same boat. It's hard to make so many important decisions. I have dark floors as well and an aversion to permanent color. Here is what we ended up ordering today. The arabesque (over cooktop) but different grout color. And 2x4 Carrara subway (perimeter).
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 7:24PM
kadodi
Please don't be discouraged. Pick a tile that you like and go with it... It's your house so enjoy!!
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 7:33PM
Kevin Strader
Mehwish, I understand about wanting to stay within a budget on backsplash. We were seeing a lot that we liked, at Home Depot, Lowe's and independent tile stores. However, we really couldn't see ourselves spending $12 - $15 a square foot. Then my wife found the tile shown below at Lowe's. It's American Olean 12" x 12" Mosaic, Chateau Emperador Ceramic Mosaic Wall Tile. We love it. Used it in our kitchen remodel. You can see it if you search for New Kitchen from Hell to Heaven. Best of all, it was only $4.98 Sq. Ft.

It has cream (with yellow overtones) and taupe (grayish tan) tiles, along with a dark brown and a brown granite tile so it might go with your design.
1 Like   December 17, 2013 at 8:14AM
sunnydrew
I went through the same search agony. I used a larger glass tile installed in a stacked pattern I do not think I will ever get tired of it. I looked at many tile stores. The big boxes have such limited and repetitive designs. ( trendy) I like your idea of the horizontal lines. The mixture of stainless and glass is busy ( I hated when others kept telling me that, sorry) You can do busy, but it has to be the "right" busy. I do not think you have found it yet.Take a sample of your granite to some showrooms and look at everything. It can become a process of elimination and then you will find the right one. and yes, ultimately it is your decision anyway. Good luck.
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 8:30AM
sunnydrew
360Design-Your wave product looks very interesting above. It would be nice if that homeowner would let you come back and take photos when the counters are cleared off. It would be better suited for representation of what your product looks like. This is meant only to be helpful to your business.
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 8:36AM
mcbriec
I really like the larger tile with the creamy accents which mimic the color of the cabinets (bottom right pic tile), and also pick up the color of the lighter spots in the granite. Although it is multi-colored, your granite has a fairly uniform-looking appearance so I don't think the backsplash tiles are too busy at all. In fact, to my eye they really meld the cabinets to the counter and the floor. I would just go to the store and pick up several sheets of your favorite tile and just tape them to the backsplash to see how it looks and then you can return them if you decide they're not right. If you do think the tiles are too busy you could get a creamy arabesque or subway and and use a dark grout that is the color of the ligter spots in the granite.
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 8:39AM
sunnydrew
McBriec- I kept saying the same thing as you about boring backsplashes when houzzers kept telling me to do white subway tiles. Do you think my backsplash is boring with my counter? I am just curious. I think the Baltic Brown granite this person is using could go with a patterned tie, as well as a solid color glass tile. It is far more neutral than mine.
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 8:44AM
Help me select a backsplash
Any ideas for a backsplash? My cabinets are antique...
Please help me select backsplash tile for my kitchen...
My new kitchen is almost complete - and if I can figure...
Need help selecting tile backsplash for kitchen
Hi I am looking for some suggestions for backsplash...
Need help selecting a backsplash tile
Blue/Gray wall color, White shaker cabinetry, Stainless...
Need help room that serves as a sitting area and dinning room
I've had 3 different designers (not from houzz) that...
Need help for my Den?
We are planning to install hardwood, built-in desk...
Need help L shaped living and dinning area
Would like to have a living room that has a conversation...
Kitchen knobs leaving marks
Our knobs are hitting the adjacent cupboard face and...
Help me decorate my Rec room
We just moved and this is the room I want to tackle...