Roof problems. Can you give your opinion?
saller
After spending a lot of time looking for the right roofer i am so disappointed in the final look. on the upper left of the roof you can see a partial row of shingles, like someone started at the top of the roof and someone started at the bottom of the roof and met in the middle. This seems unacceptable to me. Any roofers out there? All opinions welcome. thank you.
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Yeah, that's odd. Hard to imagine what went on to get that. I doubt they "met in the middle" as it's pretty much impossible to install shingles working down. Looks more like they had some sort of alignment issue when they got to the ridge of the gable or there are two slopes (gambrel) on the main roof. Either way, that misalignment should not be there. From what it looks like, it's just a visual nuisance, not evidence of a major install issue, but that's something only a local inspection would confirm.
December 11, 2013 at 5:32PM   
saratogaswizzlestick
What does your roofer say? I would be unhappy with this look.
December 11, 2013 at 5:50PM   
saller
ReSquare Architecture, would you insist on them having to redo it? I have not spoken to them, but that is the plan.
December 11, 2013 at 5:50PM   
saller
Saratogaswizzlestick, I have not talked to them or paid my bill. Love your name.
December 11, 2013 at 5:52PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
From a distance it's not the noticeable......I would be more concerned about the apparent thermal differentials the seem to be going on between your heated spaces and the roof over the porch that is obviously getting a lot of cold air in there....... enough to maintain a covering of snow and ice...........this is a potential for some serious ice damming forming here being supplied from the upper portion that is apparently losing a substantial amount of heat through the attic.............I would recommend a qualified expert to do a thermal study with recommendations to alleviate this situation. Losing heat through your roof is like burning $100 bill to warm your hands..........just an observation.
December 11, 2013 at 6:00PM     
saller
S. Thomas Kutch, the temps here are in the teens. There is also snow on the north side of roof on both left and right side of the gabled roof. Is that a problem?
December 11, 2013 at 6:09PM   
saratogaswizzlestick
Thank you, my toy poodle's name. I would ask if they put a rubber membrane where the two roof planes cross. If you see snow melting in some areas of your roof that is a sign of heat loss and a cause for concern although that would be more an insulation issue rather than a roofing issue.
December 11, 2013 at 6:15PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Saller, it could just be protected areas that aren't receiving any direct sun on the roof. The thing that caught my eye was the distinct line between the roof over living space and the covered porch even though it is apparent that the roof below the dormers is in the same plane as the porch roof and isn't shaded by the gabled wings yet there is an accumulation of frozen material there. This cold zone creates the potential for ice dams being formed over the porch.......as the snow or ice melts on the upper roof it runs down to this dam and refreezes, increasing the dam size..........over time this continued cycle can and often creates the situation where water begins to seep up under the shingle tabs.

I would suspect the area under the porch roof is vented to the outside per code, but is closed off from the rest of the attic space, thus the colder zone. This isn't that uncommon. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered, such as how many cold days you have during the winter, what is the snow / ice rate for your zone, what kind of moisture barrier was installed by the roofers under the shingles, etc., etc.. A good thermal / moisture consultant in your local can give you better advice and recommendations to solve a problem if he thinks there is one.

I have designed and or acted as a construction observer (client's rep) in snow zones ranging from months of snow coverage to a few days of snow coverage...........I am a firm believer in a good ice/water shield membrane for roofs in cold / snow zones. Yes, it adds some extra cost to the roofing project, but I've never had a problem with a roof leak or ice dam damage when it's been used. It creates a continuous water proof barrier between the roof deck and the roof finish materials and any penetrations of shingle nails or staples are self sealing. IMHO it's worth every penny.
December 11, 2013 at 7:06PM     
saratogaswizzlestick
Very true S. Thomas Kutch, I had a rubber membrane installed on the cricket and on valleys on my roof to avoid such issues.
December 11, 2013 at 7:19PM   
saller
S. Thomas Kutch, you are correct, the roof over the porch is not open to the attic, but it is also not vented on the outside. We have been here more than 21 yrs and not had any problems with the roof. It was just time for a new roof. We are in St. Louis MO but do not know the answer to your question about snow. All I know is they used 15 lb u.l. Asphalt felt over the roof deck.
December 11, 2013 at 7:21PM   
saller
Our previous roof did not have any felt. I do not see anything in our contract about what they used in the valleys of the roof And I wasn't home for the majority of the job. A little concerned about that now too.
December 11, 2013 at 7:24PM   
kadodi
I'm not a roofer. We are building our house and had roof installed yesterday and today. It looks right to me. They start at the bottom edge and go up. Then the peaks are done similar to the way your edge looks.
December 11, 2013 at 7:30PM   
bubbasgma
Saller- I'm no expert, but I would be unhappy with this as well.
December 11, 2013 at 7:50PM   
chookchook2
Does that just about cover it?
December 11, 2013 at 7:54PM   
saller
Thanks everyone. I will be calling the roofer tomorrow to discuss.
December 11, 2013 at 8:00PM   
bubbasgma
Might pay to get an independent inspection before you write that final check.
December 11, 2013 at 8:43PM      Thanked by saller
Sustainable Dwellings
It definitely has an uneven seam there. It is very obvious... They probably got off square, then tried to correct it.. OOPS.
December 11, 2013 at 8:49PM      Thanked by saller
Fowler Homes inc.
The row of shingles ran out of sq. This is a common result when the roof decides to fix the problem instead of tear off and do correctly. To answer your question, yes you need to have it redone. If you need verification call the shingle manufacture and ask about warranties for improperly installed shingles. Start on the right side of the row that has a smaller reveal, you will notice that the lap becomes smaller and smaller as you continue left.
December 11, 2013 at 8:55PM        Thanked by saller
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
If not replaced, this issue may show up on a property inspection when you sell you home. The shingles already installed should not be reused as removal will damage them.
December 12, 2013 at 6:30AM      Thanked by saller
saller
All great comments for my discussion with the roofer! Thanks
December 12, 2013 at 8:59AM   
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
@saller: I would not recommend any action without actually being contracted to inspect it. You may be best served getting a third party (like an Architect) to come out and give you an inspection, if they are willing (high liability, low reward.) I would not jump to the conclusion that they need to be replaced for warranty issue, but I would not rule it out either. Vague enough for ya!? ;-)
December 12, 2013 at 4:33PM        Thanked by saller
Fowler Homes inc.
I wouldn't spend money on an inspection. This a is a very common problem. The bottom rows of shingles are out of sq, mostly likely starting close to the bottom and the problem had to be corrected towards the ridge. It's a very straight forward problem. For verification you can read the installation specifications of the manufacture.
December 12, 2013 at 5:03PM      Thanked by saller
Marilyn Wilkie
They need to re-do the roof. Totally unacceptable job.
December 12, 2013 at 5:16PM     
grobby
Looks improperly done. Have you ever noticed how fast these guys work. Had my roof done 5 years ago, and I'm still picking up roofing nails, although, they " vacuumed them all up." Would have them re-do, if not, get second opinion. If no help, don't pay, review them on their on- line site, file with BBB, and see if your insurance company is interested in taking a look, they may not pay if you ever have a leak. Don't allow them to reuse shingles.
December 12, 2013 at 5:26PM     
toronto_roofer
Hi there. This is a result of poor installation practice. When shingling around an obstacle ( ie chimney, skylight etc) there is almost always a small amount of "error". The " error " can be a result of one or more of the following; dimensional tolerance on the material ( ie variations in the size from one shingle to another) , roof deck slightly out of square and some minor installer variance. The important thing is not eliminating "error", but working with it. If the installer had spread out the error over five or six courses, by SLIGHTLY raising or lowering the shingles (as needed ) in that area our eyes would never see it. Functionally it will not affect the performance of the roof, however I'm sure the manufacturer would not approve. I would be reluctant to call the original installer back because he either did not care enough or know enough to do it properly in the first place. Provided you have a skilled roofer fix it, this can be corrected so that you would never know it was like that ( without stripping and redoing the entire roof.
December 12, 2013 at 7:42PM     
saller
I left the roofer a message that I would like him to come out to take a look at the misaligned shingles. Waiting for his return call.
December 12, 2013 at 7:44PM     
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
Don't wait too long for a reply from a contractor. If they are going to make it "right" they would call quickly especially this time of year. Maybe wait until Spring for the replacement so the tabs will seal down from the warmth of the sun. Otherwise wind could stress the shingles before attaching. Do you know the manufacture of the product? If so, contact them for their opinion and the contractors representation of their product.
December 13, 2013 at 5:46AM      Thanked by saller
saller
The roofer finally came back to fix the problem once the weather warmed up. It is an improvement, but not a great job. What do you think? thanks
March 10, 2014 at 7:55AM   
saller
Enlarged
March 10, 2014 at 7:57AM     
Remodeling resale
which is worse for resale removing bedroom for living...
back splash to coordinate with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo?
Our kitchen is being installed but I'm stuck as to...
Honed granite vs brushed granite vs polished granite
I am looking at a honed finished Black Pearl granite...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Replacing shiny brass entry hardware
I hate our front door and hate the shiny brass hardware...