TV Above Gas Fireplace -- WHERE Does the Cable Box Go???
Amanda
We are moving to a newly constructed home and the family TV is supposed to go on the wall above the gas fireplace in the family room (cable hookup is there already). The fireplace mantle is not deep enough to put a cable box on it, plus I don't think it would look so nice being front and center like that. Please see the photo.

So here's my question: If your TV is on a wall above a fireplace, HOW do you connect to a cable box? Is there some kind of wireless connection I've never heard of or do we open up a wall to move the cable? Thank you for any ideas!
Charette Design
Depending on your Cable provider wireless is available. In the picture it looks like you have two outlets.....one for power and the other one for cable. The cable outlet should homerun to cable box location. In the photo you provided can't tell if there is a closet or other space that could accommodate components.
December 11, 2013 at 2:24PM      Thanked by Amanda
Northshore Kitchens Plus
Amanda, No problem! There are RF+ radio frequency that could be put in the basement or inside a cabinet etc. Try contacting a local TV retailer in your area & they should be able to give you all the information that you need. Here are some examples when I used RF and I didn't want to see any of the cable boxes. Gives a much cleaner look. It definitely requires you to speak with someone that is electronically knowledgeable. Doing it right makes all the difference but having to redo is a nightmare!
December 11, 2013 at 2:25PM      Thanked by Amanda
Amanda
@Charette Design -- Thank you! You are correct there is a power outlet and a cable outlet. Can you clarify what "homerun" means? Could a cable box live in the basement and still work with the TV in my family room?

@Northshore Kitchens Plus -- Thank you! "Electronically knowledgeable" certainly does not describe me :) With RF+ radio frequency, can you put the cable box just anywhere? Same ask as above, could we put the cable box in the basement but have the TV in the family room? How do HDMI cables factor in -- don't they need to be connected directly to the TV? Also, great photos, I especially love the one with the white built-in!
December 11, 2013 at 2:53PM     
Charette Design
Yes.........homerun means the cable outlet goes to a "source". In some homes it goes to a closet but in most it goes to where your cable service feeds into your home from the outside. I am not sure about the cable box being so far from the family room i.e. not sure what the effective distance is for "wireless" cable boxes. Probably best to get feedback from an A/V person.
December 11, 2013 at 3:37PM   
Tekkease
If the home was pre-wired appropriately you should have a AV closet where you Cable box can reside and feed a video feed to your display on your fireplace. This will require some additional control and distribution equipment to make possible. Is there a location in the home with a bunch of cabling?

If not then you can always hide box behind television if their is a coaxial feed at TV location. DirecTV has the smallest form box that works best in these types of applications.

From the picture looks like a beautiful home and I am sure if the builder did things right your home is prewired for both applications as well a other technology expansions throughout the home.
December 11, 2013 at 4:42PM   
Nicer Details Home Theater Installations
It looks like there is an outlet box for cable and power. I suggest attaching the cable box to the back of the television. Out of sight and using an IR blaster to control the television and changing channels
April 30, 2014 at 10:37AM   
Where to place ficus plant?
I can't decide where to have the ficus plant at. and...
HELP - Best Paint Color with Oak Cabinets
Our kitchen has those honey-colored oak cabinets (great...
my design dilemma is that my kitchen is 10' by 20'. ideas, please!
long, narrow, no place for an island. We would love...
Window treatment help.
Hello there! I need help for a good window treatment....