Need help on decor and paint for this space
steph7996
My bf and I love in separate spaces as of now, however we are looking to move in together in the near future and wld like to make his a space of "ours". When he bought the house, it looks like the previous owner tried to do DIY projects but failed miserably and now we are stuck coming up with ideas that don't cost an arm and leg! I will first post his living room, family room, and entryway. His family room had built in bookshelves, and a bay window, an opening to his back patio and another opening to his kitchen. Needless to say, no full wall space. It leaves little to work with when trying to add seating! Did I mention, I have 2 kids, he has 1, his dad is living there for now... And we have 2 dogs:) We are excited about starting this new project, but cld use some ideas about adding more seating, paint colors to update this old home and bring everything up to date, yet cozy.
steph7996
His entryway
December 11, 2013 at 2:22pm   
Sullivan's Painting Service
For the living room I'd go with a light gray or neutral green color to help make that natural trim pop out. I think the light gray would look the best and it is trendy right now. Take a look at the photos on my profile in the new town walk album. That light gray would look nice
December 11, 2013 at 2:31pm   
steph7996
@sullivan painting... Thank you for your advice, but we were thinking of painting the trim an off white or the bookshelves dark brown/black ans wanted opinions. To me the trim seems outdated and want to brighten the room up some.
December 12, 2013 at 8:16am   
Patricia Colwell
I would paint out woodwork and then choose a wall color that goes with the furniture you are going to keep.The carpets seem nice , why not use them as a jumping off place for color. When painting out woodwork I mean all of it including shelving etc.
December 12, 2013 at 9:23am     
hatetoshop
I wouldn't paint the shelves black or brown -- wouldn't be much of difference from what it is now. I think the room needs to be brightened, so a cream or white.
December 12, 2013 at 9:30am     
m3459
What a great room!! Looks like a mix of library and pub. Love it. Someone's got a good eye. I'm almost scared to start messin' with it. Hire a housekeeper to keep the kids' stuff in check and call it good.
December 12, 2013 at 9:31am   
Sullivan's Painting Service
@steph7996 I don't disagree with you one bit. I was just thinking cost effectively. If you paint the trim I suggest a good oil based bonding primer such as prime lock. You should be able to buy it at your local Benjamin Moore store. Then I'd top coat with two coats of BM regal select semi gloss or coronado rust scat semi gloss. I recently painted a room with a built in bookcase. We painted the shelves black and the wood behind them a light tan. It made for a very strong focal point. We did the rest of the trim in white. We also used a cordless Graco Pro Shot fine finish sprayer. I think black shelves would look great with your brick fire place, and a lighter background will help keep the TV from "disappearing"
December 12, 2013 at 1:22pm     
steph7996
@sullivanpainting... Do u happen to have a picture of the bookcases you painted. I'm pretty visual, hence why I'm on this site:)
December 12, 2013 at 2:05pm   
Sullivan's Painting Service
@steph7996 I will check my system. If not I'll see if my customer is willing to send one over.
December 12, 2013 at 2:07pm     
studio10001
The TV SHOULD disappear. Ghost stain the bookcases in espresso, paint all the trim and wainscoting white, with black inner window rims and use a light neutral on the walls. This will give you a brighter room with a crisp and balanced contrast, and allow furnishings and accents to change with ease, as budget allows. Edit the shelves, and add wall colour behind (leave TV wall dark) the shelves to display, or leave espresso to absorb shelf contents.
December 12, 2013 at 2:24pm   
steph7996
@studio10001 what is ghost stain? Do u have a picture of what your talking about? I wld like to see an example
December 12, 2013 at 2:58pm   
studio10001
Re-colouring w stain - it gives more opacity to the piece, but not as much as paint, and allows original undertones to show through to some extent. This is a table before: http://www.robesondesign.com/album_classic_modern/album/slides/burcombe_f1.png
This is the same table after, in an espresso: http://www.robesondesign.com/album_classic_modern/album/slides/burcombe_b2.png
The
December 12, 2013 at 4:16pm   
studio10001
You seem to have space for two more chairs at the window. They could be separated by either a small table to set drinks on, or by a longer one, set perp. to the window for the kids to play @. I am guessing the current chair may help your Dad to stand, and if so, could be placed as part of that pairing, so he can watch TV. If it doesn't serve that function especially, it might be angled in from the bookcase wall's left corner, facing the sofa. The couch could then move closer to the fireplace, leaving room behind for a bookcase console unit.
You might also consider switching carpets - the red one would pick up the brick shades, and could help tighten the seating area, while the gold would make the smaller room feel larger.... this works perfectly in my head, mind, where actual rug dimensions bend to my will, but I'm throwing it out there, just in case my computer screen is being happily unreliable.
December 12, 2013 at 5:17pm   
Need help decorating an open space that's 63 x 32
I'm completing my home and the first floor is open...
Need help decorating Formal Living Room space
Our formal living room at the front of the house is...
First Time Homebuyer, Kitchen Painting Dilemma
Our kitchen is open to the dining room which has a...
I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?
My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch...
Adjusting a floorplan for walk-in closets
I've got a floorplan that I'm trying to adjust to give...
Striped headboard
This is the current bedding for my bedroom, I want...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...