Code says I don't need a range hood, but do I?
katejacobs
I was hoping to skip a hood — but my electrician is skeptical. I have an old-fashioned range and don't fry a lot of bacon! He says I'll ruin my ceiling. Any opinions? I was going to hang a nice industrial pot rack.
December 11, 2013 at 2:42pm      Thanked by katejacobs
Fred S
Range hoods CAUSE the air quality problems.
http://oikos.com/esb/53/rangehood.html
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/makeup-air-range-hoods
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_15_sec003.htm

M1503.4 Makeup air required.

Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cubic feet per minute (0.19 m3/s) shall be provided with makeup air at a rate approximately equal to the exhaust air rate. Such makeup air systems shall be equipped with a means of closure and shall be automatically controlled to start and operate simultaneously with the exhaust system.

This can potentially cost thousands of dollars!
December 11, 2013 at 4:01pm      Thanked by katejacobs
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
the information that Fred S. and Feeny posted is very interesting.......I usually specify hoods for clients, but I personally very seldom use my own hood...Code doesnt require it.............
December 11, 2013 at 5:31pm      Thanked by katejacobs
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
A device that REMOVES smoke, carbon monoxide, grease, and other pollutants... CAUSES air quality problems?

*moment of stunned silence*

Yes, it's true that air pressure should be maintained in balance, so a range hood's exhaust power should be either limited to some sane amount of CFM's (certainly not 1200 CFM, as referenced in the GBA article), or compensated for by a make-up air system.

But, taking the potential side effect of an appliance - if it's incorrectly specified and/or installed - and present it as a blanket condemnation, is misleading.

Just because a 1200-1500 CFM range hood without a make-up air system can cause problems, doesn't mean that ALL range hoods are "bad". Size the range hood properly, consult an HVAC specialist, use a make-up air system, and there's no issue.
December 11, 2013 at 5:49pm        Thanked by katejacobs
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
Oh, and by the way, to automate the operation of a make-up air pump, you can use a current sensing switch that will be clamped onto the control wires of the range hood. and activate the MUA pump when a certain speed or speeds are selected.

MUA pump: $ 300
Current Sensor: $ 30-70
Wiring, relays, etc: $ 50

Total: a LOT less than "thousands" of dollars...
December 11, 2013 at 6:08pm        Thanked by katejacobs
sinlee
For the 13 years I've lived in my house I've had a Wedgewood stove with an industrial pot rack hanging over it. I'm not a big cook, have never fried bacon and mostly use the oven. Two weeks ago I finally added exhaust - a cabinet with a built in over the range microwave. I was so tired of greasy walls and pots & pans, and having to constantly wash the walls and paint the kitchen every couple of years. I couldn't be happier. So, unless you want the walls and ceiling to be constantly greasy and discolored, add exhaust!
December 11, 2013 at 6:16pm        Thanked by katejacobs
Elizabeth Reilly
Hmmm...I almost always use my range hood- even when I'm just boiling pasta never mind frying bacon. I can't imagine not using it.
December 11, 2013 at 6:17pm        Thanked by katejacobs
Elizabeth Reilly
And it should be vented outside the house
December 11, 2013 at 6:19pm        Thanked by katejacobs
Fred S
Futuro, you can't even seem to get this problem into your 10 most list. You clearly have no conception of labor costs. And you come out on the side of looking like an unscrupulous professional every time we have had this conversation, so why do you keep it up? http://www.futurofuturo.com/rangehood-FAQ-10-mistakes-range-hood-installation.php
December 11, 2013 at 6:29pm      Thanked by katejacobs
saratogaswizzlestick
I agree with your electrician. You need a exhaust that vents outside. If you cook at all grease ect will get all over. If you don't cook put it anyway to keep resale value. I would not purchase a house that did not have adequate kitchen venting unless I was going to gut the kitchen and install it.
December 11, 2013 at 6:33pm        Thanked by katejacobs
Fred S
@katejacobs, if you are not as bad of a cook as others appear to be, you can put an exhaust vent in the ceiling. It does not have to be an obtrusive hood.
December 11, 2013 at 6:34pm      Thanked by katejacobs
saratogaswizzlestick
I fail to understand how using an exhaust fan equates to being a poor cook. If that is the case I guess Julia Child and virtually every other chef whose kitchen we have seen need lessons not to mention every restaurant in existence.
December 11, 2013 at 7:05pm     
Elizabeth Reilly
I would not put a vent in your ceiling unless you have ceilings that are three feet higher than your stove or you want a vent that sounds like an airplane flying overhead. Recommended hood height is 33 to 36 inches from stove top.
December 11, 2013 at 7:18pm   
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
@Fred S - all we said is that it's wrong to equate INAPPROPRIATE ventilation with ALL ventilation being bad.

@ saratogaswizzlestick - exactly! Look at any TV kitchen show, from "Iron Chef" to "Kitchen Nightmares" to "Chopped Chef" - you will see range hoods in every kitchen, without exception.

@ Elizabeth Reilly - also 100% right. The only viable solution for a ceiling-mounted range hood is something oversized & over-powered, which runs the risk of getting right back into the same issues with negative air pressure.
December 11, 2013 at 8:32pm   
PirateFoxy
Agree with saratogaswizzlestick - the hood/vent issue is something I looked at when looking at houses to buy, and no good vent would've been a big negative, particularly if there wasn't a good reason for no proper venting. (I can understand something like some apartments having difficulty doing anything other than a recirculating set up, which I would be unhappy with but accept as a practical thing in that sort of scenario.)
December 11, 2013 at 9:14pm   
Fred S
Ceiling vents with remote fans are actually much quieter than standard range hoods. A recommended height for a non-essential item is just that (a worthless recomendation). Here are some home kitchens of people that know what they are talking about.

@ Futuro, Well, I guess it isn't "without exception". By the way, #6 on your list posted above is more than a little wrong. Most appliances like electric ranges and range hoods do not come with cords and cannot be hard-wired. They need a cord plugged into an outlet to be used as a disconnect.

If katejacobs knows how she cooks and doesn't think she needs one, then she probably doesn't. They also make down draft models.

According to the studies that try to push range hood use, most of them only catch 15% of the "contaminants" anyway, unless it is bigger than the entire range so you can't reach the back burners comfortably, and low enough that you can't see what you are doing. Those studies also burn everything to a crisp to get the results they are trying to get. A proper HVAC system is designed to exchange ALL the air in the house PROPERLY and makes ALL the "contaminant" arguments a moot point.

If katejacobs hasn't had a problem with grease before, then she probably won't. I am not really sure how cleaning a range hood is any different than cleaning any other surface. They both need cleaned of grease periodically. How in the world can anyone compare 13 years of grease to a two week test, especially when they don't cook much? I would not hang my decision on that kind of thinking.
December 11, 2013 at 9:37pm        Thanked by katejacobs
Lighting in kitchen
What is your opinion of using a wall sconce as lighting...
Dining Chair Question
Hi there! We have a chunky mango wood dining table...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Need help with roof and siding color, also what style house is this?
We are purchasing this house and having some renovations...
Eames Shell Chair Suggestions
I picked up this Herman Miller padded shell chair today....