Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yogamomma3

Layout question for remodel

yogamomma3
10 years ago
We are remodeling our home and I either have room for a large kitchen and VERY small sitting area (plus dining room) or odd shaped kitchen and regular size living room. This is on the main floor. What's going to be best for resale value? There will be a very large tv room a half a flight away from this floor. Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Large kitchen!!!!
    Send me a floor plan and I can develop some options for you.
    Free design service!!
  • yogamomma3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure if you can see this or not but if you can help, wow would I appreciate your input! The framing is done and the windows are not in so it is basically a rectangular shell as of right now. This a what the architect drew and I hate the island! I want a very large island plus I don't like the odd shape of it. The big challenge to work around are the two weight-baring beams in the center of the room and the windows along the back and front which have been ordered.
  • yogamomma3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If you scroll over the picture, it will show the entire thing. Unfortunately, I don't have an electronic file that I can share at this time. I am thinking about removing the space where the sofa is so that I can have a large rectangular shaped island (which means basically two chairs and possibly an ottoman). Do you still vote for larger kitchen and super small sitting area??
  • laurie0714
    10 years ago
    The weight-bearing "beams" you mention and show on the drawing....are those posts or columns that must remain? Maybe you could make the island an L shape and put the seating on the other end so you could extend it another foot to the exterior wall. It's hard to see where all the appliances are placed and what is going on in the center between the kitchen and dining room. Is it a Pantry, and a pass through?
  • laurie0714
    10 years ago
    What will you use the sitting area for? How many people will need to occupy the space maximum?
  • yogamomma3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, unfortunately the beams must stay. The middle section is a walk through pantry and small "butlers area" (lower and upper cabinets). I actually liked that idea.
    As far as how I would use the seating area- I have in my head that a main floor needs a living area of some sort. I am picturing my elderly parents coming to visit and needing a more comfortable place to sit other than bar stools while entertaining. ??? We are a family of five but I would like to regularly entertain groups of 20-30. I do like your idea of the L-shaped island. Would you do 2 levels or just 1? Thank you! Thank you!! My dining room table will be 96" and the chairs in that "lobby area" will be much smaller than they look on this design. This is a blank slate so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Yogamomma--a couple of things. You mentioned accommodating elderly parents that visit, and up to 30 people for entertaining. I take it the dashed line is a coffered ceiling?

I think this plan dedicates a lot of
    space to dining & storage (pantry), but not much for family room space
    and none for accommodating guests on this level.

Your plan could do these very well, but not in it's present room orientation. May I suggest that the kitchen and dining space are closer together, moving the living space to the entry side of the wall? Realizing that your plan appears to have some structural support points that can't (?) move, you & your designer have to be creative in how these are incorporated into the layout. I feel that the amount of circulation space for the area served is excessive, and with a different layout, your goals could be met, keeping a rectilinear layout, which minimizes walls and 45 degree angles.

I wish you well. Taking care of people with increasingly limited mobility is my specialty & passion. Contact me if I can be of further assistance. Happy Houzzing.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Layout for review
  • yogamomma3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Much appreciated!!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Let me know if you need help selecting kitchen sink / faucet or plumbing product for your powder room. Have a great day!!
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    YM3--my bad, swap the two table locations, then you can turn and extend the DR table out in front of the stairs, for seating of 14, perhaps more. Happy Houzzing!