Floorboard sealant
ninipt
What is the best floorboard sealant in the market, able to feel the gaps between boards and look good for many years?
Rockin' Fine Finish
fill the gaps how ? what kind of flooring are you working with?
December 12, 2013 at 6:58PM   
ninipt
It is 100 years old pine floorboards. On the ground floor I will have it lifted to have insulation against draught fitted but on the top floors I was advised to just have it sanded and then have a treatment on top.I am not happy about having gaps between the floorboards (ground floor or top floors) so I heard about having those gaps sealed with some king of flexible material (silicone type of thing).But I was told that this kind of material tend to deteriorate over the years.What is your opinion about that?Thanks!
December 13, 2013 at 12:23AM   
rinqreation
Pine needs to be able to move a little. Filling all gaps with a hard material might result in a creaky floor, if not worse, but I guess you understood that. You can use a flexible caulk, but it will probably come off/crack from the movement in the wood (and shrinkage over time). You could try the type used on boat decks (note: it's black), but I would advise to accept the gaps for what they are (and they have a function too).

I recently took out the original pine floor in our own house to add insulation underneath. Nailed back the pine planks with about 2 to 3mms inbetween, because that's how it's been done for ages. With reason.
December 13, 2013 at 1:55AM     
rinqreation
Filling the gaps with a natural fiber rope (like sisal) before painting will result in less deep gaps and the rope might be able to keep up with the movement of the boards.

Also look for a flexible sealant, especially made for soft woods. 'Regular' floor sealant is made for hardwoods and creates a solid layer. You don't want a hard layer on top of a soft material, it will crack. The one I used is Glitsa for softwood, but I live in the Netherlands, so I have no clue on what you should buy..

And, never ever try to fill the gaps with sealant itself. This might work on hardwoods, but not on pine.
December 13, 2013 at 2:00AM     
bathroom on a budget help
Hi everyone, was just coming for a little advice. Being...
Need Help Finalizing My Kitchen/Nook
Hi Houzz! I am moving into our new build home and...
Living room needed
I would like help designing my living room. It is 19'...
Pocket or folded doors and windows
I like the pocket door/windows, but find them extremely...
Help arranging family/living room and kitchen space.
We live in a cape house, right now I have the front...