Fire Place Decoration!
Erin VanHorn
So I'm moving into this room next year. It's a nice big room but this fire place needs some work! I can't cut the boards open because that's where the duct work is for the air. What are some ideas to decorate this? The walls are light lavender.

smartin1
Can you provide some pics of the rest of the room? There are some very talented people on here who I know will come up with some fabulous ideas for you.
December 12, 2013 at 2:31pm     
Crown and trim molding, decorative wood appliques, corbels to "support" the mantel and a coat or two of paint could transform it. You might even add some tiles. Looks like it might have been for a coal fire. Your local hardware store should have lots of cool molding to attach and enhance it. Go browse and see, taking good measurements of all the parts and pieces of it with you. Please post pix here of your results by commenting and using the Attach Images button.
Kitchen After Remodel
Ironic vintage frame
Luxury Bathroom with Fireplace Pacific Heights Residence - Bedroom Suite
December 12, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Erin VanHorn
Of course!
December 12, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Erin VanHorn
can you see the photo?
December 12, 2013 at 2:40pm   
mpoulsom
this could be a very glamorous room if you like that style. What IS your style and tell us what you can, and can't do to the room. can you paint the walls for instance? Do you have any artist friends? Do you have any furniture now that you will using in the room so you can get better ideas for your personal style for your fireplace? Lots of options here.
one thing that I would probably do for sure is have a large mirror above the mantel. What are you fave colors??
December 12, 2013 at 2:47pm     
carole
hello erin,dont be flippant,please,you asksed for help,we dont know your situation,are you a student,or is this your first "house"' away from home?to get back to your Q..can you paint the surround?
December 12, 2013 at 4:34pm     
Erin VanHorn
I'm a college student moving into a different house because my roommate is moving out. Right now I have a black desk, black dresser and black night stand with a black twin bed. I don't think I can pant the walls because he just painted all the rooms that color. The photo attached is part of my room now at college
December 12, 2013 at 6:42pm     
Erin VanHorn
Also, does anyone know why my pictures won't load in the comments?
December 12, 2013 at 7:34pm   
carole
thank you,Erin., even if lavender is not one of your favorite colors,a mix of black and maybe lots of white would look nice,dont you think.maybe there is a way to make the fireplace look nicer by painting the black insert and the shelf,black or white,i suppose that depends on what he will allow and on how much time you want to spend painting,black would be the obvious one to go for,then with your books and stuff on it,it will look great..sorry,i cant help you with the download photo Q,but sometimes the site is very busy and if you try again it might work,would like to see the picture of your current room,thanks
December 13, 2013 at 12:38am   
The Artwork Factory
If you could upload a few more room photos, it would give a better feeling of the overall decorating scheme... If this wall is a focal point, I'd select some nice artwork as a statement piece.
December 13, 2013 at 5:02am   
Erin VanHorn
Here are pictures of the room I will be moving into
December 18, 2013 at 9:08am     
Erin VanHorn
And here are a few more
December 18, 2013 at 9:09am     
Erin VanHorn
The other wall
December 18, 2013 at 9:10am     
Erin VanHorn
Here is a picture of my current room, more to come
December 18, 2013 at 9:15am     
I suggest painting the mantel and trim your wood work color. Paint the boarded up piece with black chalkboard paint and become a poet!

December 18, 2013 at 9:33am     
mpoulsom
I think iamjudy has a great idea there. Or you could paint the woodwork to match molding and add some funky wallpaper to the middle of it to match your other accessories.
Then either put a great piece of artwork above it or move that circular mirror above the mantel that's on the wall already.
December 18, 2013 at 9:48am     
mpoulsom
you could also place a square mirror in that space...only thing with that is it would cover up your pretty decorative grate. :(
I don't know if there is mirror type paper, but if you could get some of that, you could cut around the grate so it still shows.

OR maybe you could get a piece of frosted plexiglass cut to size and shape, and add some lights behind it for a fun effect.

Another idea would be to put a small table in front of it and have 2 sitting chairs on each side, kind of in front of the fireplace. Put a lamp or candles on the mantel and a mirror....after you paint it of course!
December 18, 2013 at 10:01am     
yoboseiyo
oh what a pretty room!

are you allowed to paint? i would paint the mantel white, but leave the center portion the darker shade, to imitate a normal wood burning fireplace.
i'd do a mirror on the wall above, and i'd put small items in clusters on the tiny mantle.

i don't mind the lavender, but if you dislike it and can paint, i would pic a nice saturated color to use as a neutral. if there's LOTS of light, i would go a little darker than normal.
December 18, 2013 at 10:14am   
carole
NICE ROOM!! and some good ideas given.you could fit a bookcase next to the FP as in the pic from mpoulson is the bay your entry or does it lead on to a balcony??and the desk possibly on thw wall with the 2 windows?
December 18, 2013 at 10:21am   
The Artwork Factory
Hi Erin, What a great room ( rubbing my hands together )...
Love the hard wood floors! Light lavender is a great colour & with Pantone's colour for 2014 being Radiant Orchid, you're going to be able to find tons of inexpensive accent pieces to make your new home really comfy ( throw pillows, bedding, area rugs, etc... ) . As a college student, I assume that we're dealing with a modest budget & you're probably going to be keeping the majority of the black furniture. The fireplace is a wonderful focal point... I've gathered that you're renting the new place, so I wouldn't advise making any major changes to it unless the owner is in agreement & or willing to cover the renovation. I'd use a two toned paint approach: The mantle & trim, dark Lavender, with the centre of it, in a lighter tone ( see attachment ). The ornate grate would look great : ) in antique metallic gold... The shelves with a few of your favourite books & small accent pieces. As an art guy, I'd find the perfect piece of art to really make the room pop right above that. Remembering, oh too well, how tight finances can be when studying, I'll offer you a $50.00 gift certificate towards the purchase of any art that you find in our e-shop ( register an account & we'll send you a voucher code ). In any event, have fun with decorating your new home & all the Best.

-Erik

www.the-artwork-factory.com
December 19, 2013 at 12:49am   
Elisa Vivaldi
The fireplace is usually the most important point of a house and yours is interesting. We propose to apply over the fireplace works that I realize and fully tailored by hand. I'm an artist and I realize frescoes by Italian Renaissance and Baroque decorations. Check out my facebook profile: elisa.vivaldi.56 You'll find some of my old work. I hope to give you new ideas!
December 19, 2013 at 1:24pm   
Need decorating ideas for the space above the fire place
Our new home is under construction and I am puzzled...
Decorate high ceiling space above fire place
We have just started decorating our new living space...
needs help to decorate my entrance and over my fire place
Hi I need some help to decorate my living room (high...
Fire place decor
Please help with decor for fire place wall and mantel...
fire place as decoration
I need a help to decorate my open sitting room,my idea...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...
looking for pale green wine bottle pendant lights
Having a hard time getting the correct color pale...
Help!!! What colour should we paint this garage door
We recently moved into this house and would like to...
To paint wood beams or not to paint wood beams
In a dilemma! We have recently moved into our new...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...