Best Paint
dstemple1956
I know everyone has an opinion about paint but I would like to know what the best paint for woodwork is. Pros, feel free to weigh in on this one. I want something that has a super hard finish, resists scuffing and has great adhesion. Thanks.
MS Colours Inc
Fine Paints of Europe oil based finishes.
December 12, 2013 at 6:30PM        Thanked by dstemple1956
Rockin' Fine Finish
Agree with ms colours fine paints is the best but it is on the higher end of the price range I also like satin empervo from Benjamin Moore another product that is very durable c2 cabinet and trim
December 12, 2013 at 9:37PM        Thanked by dstemple1956
dstemple1956
I appreciate your input. I have access to Benjamin Moore paints more readily than the Fine Paints of Europe. I have always known that oil based paints give you a harder finish.
December 13, 2013 at 4:03PM   
MS Colours Inc
Honestly it is worth the wait to order Fine Paints. Some of the finishes we do we can not duplicate in any other paint.
December 13, 2013 at 4:30PM     
mickisue
SW has a really nice paint for woodwork. It goes on so beautifully. I can't remember the name, and am too lazy to run down two flights of stairs to get the can. But be sure to prime first. The professionals here can tell me if this is accurate, but, when I was researching how to prep the trim for paint, I was told that oil-based Kilz was the best way to make sure that the paint would adhere.
December 13, 2013 at 7:49PM   
mlou72
Satin empervo from Benjamin Moore. We have it on our kitchen cabinets and love it! Very durable and goes on easily.
December 13, 2013 at 8:10PM     
solincia
I third Satin Impervo, we used Waterborne for clean-up convenience, but oil for trim is the best!
December 13, 2013 at 8:27PM   
happyasaclam
Benjamin Moore Advance woodwork paint is what you need to use. Depending on the condition of your cabinets now, you may need to use a primer. But in any case you will need to clean them very well, sand any rough spots and then use a deglosser product to dull the finish so the Advance will stick. Impervo is an exterior paint. The drying time of Advance is about 16 hrs. +/- , it dries to a very hard finish. :)
December 13, 2013 at 8:29PM   
December 13, 2013 at 8:33PM   
happyasaclam
Oh, sorry. Metal substrates only.
December 13, 2013 at 8:53PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Satin impervo has always been a top millwork paint it's not intended for metal I think your are thinking of impervex that's for metal
December 13, 2013 at 9:25PM     
solincia
Both the waterborne and oil based Impervos are used quite frequently on woodwork, as you can see by the recommendations. While I'm sure their 'advance' line is good as well, it's definitely one that should be considered for an excellent hard finish.
December 13, 2013 at 9:30PM   
happyasaclam
Just going by Benjamin Moore's suggestion on their website and the suggestions of other Houzzers.
December 13, 2013 at 9:33PM   
solincia
From a professional paint forum: "Satin impervo and Dulamel are king. Here in colorado we still use oil on trim practically everyday. Advance is good if you spray but it runs if you brush and roll. Proclassic is almost as good as ben's oils. We find that sw proclassic does not yellow as fast as impervo or dulamel. Will be using reformulated proclassic alkyd/waterborne soon and will report back. Rep says its better than advance." http://www.painttalk.com/f2/i-still-love-satin-impervo-oil-17929/
December 13, 2013 at 9:47PM   
happyasaclam
Going by manufacturers's and other Houzzer's statements. Meets all the OP's requirements. Just sayin' .
December 13, 2013 at 9:55PM   
solincia
The manufacturer even states that their Satin Impervo is their best selling trim paint. Advance is a newer formula than Impervo. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'd just hate to see the OP not consider it when most professionals would. I am not a professional, but i did my research prior to using it myself.
December 13, 2013 at 10:01PM   
MS Colours Inc
Buy what you like. I will not argue with your experience and research.
December 14, 2013 at 2:55AM   
Artful Interior Finishing
I always use Satin Impervo by Benjamin Moore. They have started replacing oils with latex and eventually oils will no longer be available. This product gives me great results. Hope this helps.
December 14, 2013 at 3:58AM      Thanked by dstemple1956
happyasaclam
I think the most important part of the paint job will be the prep work. Just make sure you have a clean, smooth surface. Degloss by sanding and/or using a deglosser. I find using a deglosser works best. It's hard to sand into all the little corners. Use a high quality brush and do not overload it to leave as few brush strokes as possible. Once you've gone over an area, don't brush back and forth over it to smooth it out. Temperature and humidity will affect the dry time so be sure to allow enough time between coats. Use a primer. If you are going from a dark color to a light color make sure you have the dark color completely covered. Regardless of the paint you use, I'm sure it will come out beautifully! :))
December 14, 2013 at 7:01AM      Thanked by dstemple1956
dstemple1956
I neglected to state that I will be painting over varnished wood baseboards and trim. Does BM make a bonding primer. I hate the idea of having to sand or degloss every piece of woodwork in my house. Many thanks to you all for your help.
December 14, 2013 at 4:30PM   
mickisue
Varnished or polyurethaned? There is a big difference.
December 14, 2013 at 5:27PM   
dstemple1956
mickisue - they are original 1959 varnished baseboards and trim.
December 14, 2013 at 5:43PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
It's always best to scuff sand but you can just use a deglosser then use stix primer from Benjamin Moore I wouldn't go without scuff sanding but that's yours choice to do so
December 14, 2013 at 5:54PM     
yoboseiyo
i actually prefer Behr paints just in general.
December 14, 2013 at 6:47PM     
Bostonian Floor Creations
Benjamin Moore is the way to go, never have had a complaint:-)
December 19, 2013 at 7:57PM     
Need to replace the windows to more contemporary
How do I make this more of a curb appeal? Would it...
Adding enough light to a small bathroom
My bathroom is 40 sq ft. Assuming the guidelines mentioned...
Framing Dilemma
We are building our 2100 square feet retirement home....
Exterior Paint Color - Advice Needed!!
Help!! We just replaced the windows on our brick and...