POLL: What makes you feel better?
Houzz Polls
December 13, 2013 in Polls
When you're sick, what makes you feel better?

Vote for your sickness cure! Post a comment telling us about your favorite cold remedy, (feel free to share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz slippers!

Watch the video below to see what they look like! :)

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 12/22/13. One winner will be drawn at random

Want to see the full Ideabook? Check it out here! http://bit.ly/1bMh5nw
Stay in bed all day
Make yourself a tray of goodies
Read a book
Get cozy by the fire
Sweat it out in the tub
Get some fresh air
Other - Tell us Below!
chookchook2
Paracetamol. When I have a sore throat the people know I can't yell, so I will just go straight to "removal of privileges". That means I get to play with the gadget /eat the treat they lost!!
December 13, 2013 at 10:57AM     
Seattle Staged to Sell LLC
A combination of all would be awesome too.
December 13, 2013 at 11:26AM     
indianpatti
A steaming hot cup of tea or cocoa, lots of water and 7-Up, watching TV IN BED :) with my fur baby.
December 13, 2013 at 11:38AM     
rgp2010
I like to staty in doors with everything I need surrounding me in a nice comfortable bed with comfy pillows, vitamin C, courick for a hot tea or coffee, and some soup, watching my favourite shows on T.V.
December 13, 2013 at 1:03PM     
케빈 곽
I usually take a double dose of vitamins, juice some wheatgrass, turn off all electronics in my room and then go to sleep. I can conquer a cold or flu in 48 hours.
December 13, 2013 at 1:16PM     
shallacious
My favourite cold remedy would be "Emergen-C" powdered vitamin C additive, mixed with water or OJ. Sometimes I add in a very strong and potent anti-viral tincture I bought from the health food store - it smells like Jagermeister and needs to be taken with OJ in a shot glass - but it cuts the duration of my cold or flu in half!
Can't beat a warm cup of honey lemon tea by the fire while browsing through Houzz on my iPad though! That's my favourite! Taking in all the inspiring decor ideas to use when I'm feeling 100% again!
December 13, 2013 at 1:21PM     
RusticSinks.com
I fix a cup of warm tea adding a shot if bourbon then start a warm bath next to my 2 way fireplace followed by curling up on the chaise on the other side. I believe it is a state of mind, renewing myself from the inside.
December 13, 2013 at 1:33PM     
happyasaclam
A mystery/thriller book in bed, covers up to my chin and someone to wait on me hand and foot.
December 13, 2013 at 1:34PM     
Techo-Bloc
Some Fresh air
December 13, 2013 at 1:48PM     
Kari D
I have a daughter that gets up at the crack of dawn, so staying in bed all day with juice and water sounds great but not practical. I go the opposite route and sweat it out through exercise. Moving around actually relieves nausea. It might not do much to relieve a sore throat, but it certainly lifts my spirits and gives me some energy when I'm through. Once I finish working out I make a vitamin packed snack and some Emergen-C to drink. Then my favorite part, taking a nap when my daughter does. Exercise gives me a burst of energy so I can cater to my toddler at least long enough until nap time. Of course, I have to make extra effort to stay hydrated with this method. The funny part is that exercise is part of the daily routine anyhow, so it also gives a sense of normalcy for both me and the little one. Having said all that, if we're talking a serious flu virus or food poisoning, that requires a babysitter, staying in bed, drinking lots of water, and feeling very unproductive.
December 13, 2013 at 2:52PM     
armipeg
I voted other because I will enjoy all of the above when I'm healthy. When I'm sick I crawl into bed and think "When will this be over?"
December 13, 2013 at 7:02PM     
mickisue
I so rarely get sick that I don't really have a go to treat for myself. But I get cold, a lot, d/t a)living in MN and b) being hypothyroid. For that, my favorite thing is a cup of cocoa. Warms the hands, warms the tummy and feels just a little sinful, all in one cup.
December 13, 2013 at 7:43PM     
jen046
My mother used to clean my room when I sick. She told me you can't get well in a messy environment. That's stayed with me. If I can, I straighten up, then curl up in bed and either sleep or do stuff on my iPad. If my husband's home, I make him wait on me and clean!
December 13, 2013 at 8:12PM     
solincia
Vernors Ginger Ale (has to be Vernors!) & Snyder's BBQ chips!
December 13, 2013 at 8:25PM     
edithsmom
When I was young, I was often sick, and in those years one stayed in bed. My mother would bring me tea and toast and I would listen to the radio shows ( Sky King, The Shadow, Our Miss Brooks). Now, on rare occasions when I am ill, I make a cup of tea, toast, grab a quilt, a book, and recline on the sofa with my sweet Edith dog at my feet.
December 13, 2013 at 9:51PM     
irina92
When I am sick I just lay around in bed the whole day and imagine doing some of the things mentioned above but as soon I try to get up, I start feeling like crap again and go back to bed.... Something I drink that helps me a lot is Swedish bitter...
December 13, 2013 at 11:15PM     
PirateFoxy
Bed. I think we don't give enough credit to the power of properly resting when we get sick these days - but it does really help. My late husband got me into the habit of listening to audio books when sick, unless I have a migraine. It's less boring than lying in bed doing nothing if I can't sleep, but less effort than reading a book/ebook, and more relaxing than TV.

A warm puppy to cuddle with helps, too.
December 14, 2013 at 12:39AM     
larkspurproject
I can't stay in bed all day if I'm sick, I feel isolated. I like to curl up on the couch with a warm blanket and get a hall pass on doing the usual routine. I like Happy's idea of family waiting on me hand and foot.........yea, that won't happen
December 14, 2013 at 2:50PM     
ssgtkitty
i can only be sick between breakfast, lunch and dinner, that is if my housework is done!
December 14, 2013 at 4:41PM     
Donna Talley
hot shower, hot tea, hot soup.....and then grab a book, curl up with furry kids in my recliner by the fireplace
December 14, 2013 at 5:30PM     
grobby
Peace and quiet. Lots of TLC. I hate to admit it, but I like for someone check in on me,
Feel my forehead, bring me something to drink, tuck my covers. Don't expect me to get up and cook, clean, etc.
December 14, 2013 at 8:30PM     
Michellina van Loder
Fresh air does it every time!
December 14, 2013 at 11:47PM     
ck68
Sleep
December 15, 2013 at 12:23AM     
omagnes
Stage one: Take an aspirin with large glass of OJ. Return to bed in darkened room.
Stage two: take a long and steamy shower. If I have a fever , better to turn slowly water temperature down. In the meantime have someone who is around, air out the bedroom, change the sheets . Before returning to bed a nice cup of camomile tea with a spoon of honey . A tiny spoonful of horseradish clears the sinus.
After second nap and if hungry a bowl of chicken-soup and piece of dry toast. An absolutely must is watching " Gone with the wind" with Scarlets' unforgettable quote : Tomorrow is another day . It works for me and more often than not, by the next morning I am ready for the usual chores and routines ;-))
December 15, 2013 at 3:05AM     
Anya Windsford
Milk with honey and bed
December 15, 2013 at 3:24AM     
betd
When I really am not feeling well, I start out with a really hot bath and just relax, shut my eyes and doze....then it progresses to hot tea, cozy throws, books and croissants and petting my dog (somehow that always makes me feel better) and soft music. No TV, no phone, no computer, no answering the door. and no talking to anyone else in the house. I tell everyone that I am recharging my spirit and need this. It helps and works for me.
December 15, 2013 at 4:18AM     
lrakestraw
Bed, chicken noodle soup and Houzz, all day, between naps. Heaven!
December 15, 2013 at 5:50AM     
Donna
As soon as I feel something coming on, I immediately drink plenty of fluids (water, tea with honey, orange juice) and get to bed (clean sheets a must). I allow my body to heal itself. If I take anything it would be Vitamin C or homemade chicken soup. I rarely take any over the counter stuff since it masks what you are truly feeling so you keep running around, going to work (infecting others) and not allowing your body to focus on getting itself better. My body does a fine job of healing itself and I am rarely sick. Mind you, I do not have children that I have to tend to so I know that rest is not an option for all. Oh and THE NETI POT. Takes getting use to but works wonders !!
December 15, 2013 at 6:34AM     
Donna
grobby, I love being "tucked in". My mom used to tuck us in so when I am sick & my hubby checks in on me to see if I need anything, I always ask him to tuck me in.
December 15, 2013 at 6:39AM     
katmatrac
Curl up in bed with an old movie, take a mid morning nap, then move to the chair next to the fireplace, sip on some coffee to open up your sinuses, while reading a great paranormal romance novel. By the time you get back from the pages of a great romance, your spirits will be lifted and you will be feeling so much better. Repeat as many times needed until you are all better, then go out and create your living novel.
December 15, 2013 at 6:39AM     
gslete
I like to juice a large chunk of ginger and a lemon, add hot water and honey, and sip it all day. I'd also crawl in bed and browse Houzz.
When I'm tired of lying down, hot showers are nice, and often I'll do a load of laundry and run the dishwasher so it feels like something is getting done.
December 15, 2013 at 7:03AM   
jlinkster
Check alternative medical book for replenishing cell salts (i.e. mag phos, nat mur, etc.) Plenty of fluids and allow body to rest if needed. Take new puppy out for short walk.
December 15, 2013 at 7:15AM   
anutad
Happy Holidays. I actually happen to be sick at the moment :( And to quote a relative...if it's a bad cold it will last 7 days if it's a good cold a week. So the best thing that would really make your cold better is time. However things you can do to alleviate it are: Warm bath, lot's of rest in bed / reading ...browzing Houzz photos....drinking hot tea with honey....skyping with close friends....those are all the things that make me feel better. The best thing is to stay away from stressfull / strenuous activity, nurture yourself and let time do the healing! Namaste
December 15, 2013 at 7:33AM     
carloswilliams
My 32 year old son called to say he was not feel well -- scratchy throat, etc. -- and would I make him the "lemon medicine". Add fresh lemons to water, bring water to boil/simmer till lemons are soft and can mash to open. Pour in cup add 1 teaspoon of honey. Slowly sip "warm" not hot while relaxing in warm bath. When he was much younger, he sipped the lemon medicine while in bed surround by tons of pillows. I guess it time to tell him what's in the "lemon medicine."
December 15, 2013 at 7:33AM     
anishz
A hot cup of coffee, a few biscuits.. Dip biscuits in coffee ... Snuggle up in bed.. Put on a nice homely movie.. And soothe myself to sleeeeep... :)
December 15, 2013 at 8:06AM     
jn3344
Licorice!
December 15, 2013 at 8:09AM     
Sullivan's Painting Service
A big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup made from scratch! Mmmmm Mmmmm
December 15, 2013 at 8:31AM     
lulewbug
Wooly socks, 7-up, a blanket and a dog to snuggle with.
December 15, 2013 at 9:23AM   
Maggie Designs
Cold remedy- a warm fuzzy blanket, my favorite movies, and a cup of hot tea with a table spoon of honey a slice of lemon and a a shot of spiced rum. Warms you right up (:
December 15, 2013 at 9:32AM   
Bridget
The minute I feel I may be getting sick I make an elixir given to me by a Chef at school. In sauce pan add equal parts of OJ, Apple juice and cranberry juice(I don't use the cranberry juice), add fresh sliced ginger and cinnamon sticks, steep until you smell the ginger. Careful with the ginger, may upset your stomach. Drink hot or cold, relieves congestion, helps coughs and gives you energy and reduces the length of illness. I worked with a couple who had a sick baby and ask me to make it. They could not believe how well it worked and was all natural. I also take echinacea, double doses and zinc. Vicks on the bottom of my feet and warm socks, if I have a cough.

An Italian cure is heat a large cup of red wine with sugar added. Don't boil, drink as hot as you can. Get in to a warm bed and sweat it out. The wine also helps you sleep.

For a sore throat, eating small slices of red bell pepper cuts the pain.
December 15, 2013 at 11:23AM     
gardenarian
Use a neti pot several times per day. Go for a long, slow walk. Make a tisane of 1 cup hot water, 2t honey, 1t apple cider vinegar.
December 15, 2013 at 11:30AM     
Lucy Painter
A long soak & long naps
December 15, 2013 at 11:35AM     
gottabeviolet
Sounds weird, but at the first sign of a sore throat, I put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in each ear and repeat every 4 hours or so, until the symptoms are gone. (I've tested this 3 times so far and each time, it's stopped the virus in it's tracks. The sore-ish throat never developed into anything!)
December 15, 2013 at 11:52AM   
whitebranchstudios
Gslete, so funny, that's me too! Laundry is so easy, just push a button but you feel like you are at least getting something done! I also drink some tea with mashed ginger, honey and lemon and then just get into bed and rest.
December 15, 2013 at 11:56AM     
gordo1620
Take elderberry syrup at the first sign of coming down with something along with zinc lozenges and hot tea w/ honey and lemon. Elderberry is good immune support.
December 15, 2013 at 12:11PM   
Yolanda Fredrickson
who wouldn't feel better in such a relaxing bedroom! I love the view through the window and tranquil color scheme. It helps to drink a delicious herbal tea and watch a favorite TV show. ;)
December 15, 2013 at 12:19PM   
Studio M Interior Design
Head on out and get some fresh air is what I'd go with! :)
December 15, 2013 at 12:20PM   
gringaloca
Stay in bed surrounded by down comforters, take some AlkaSeltzer Plus, read a good book and sleep in that order.
December 15, 2013 at 1:16PM   
pickyvicky
Lay on the couch with the remote control in my hand, a cup of hot tea on the coffee table, and no one home!
December 15, 2013 at 3:37PM   
rubyloves2shop
Most of the time I fight through it, on very rare occasions if I feel extremely exhausted then I cover up by fireplace and TV and rest. A good cup of hot tea if coming down with a cold or overly chilled works wonders as does homemade chicken soup. If my stomach is the problem I have learned not to eat until I get over the queasiness.
December 15, 2013 at 4:01PM   
momof5x
I voted for the first one but if you are a parent staying in bed all day is impossible, so stay in bed when you can and have warm drinks if you have a bad cold. Some people make a honey/lemon drink either with water or warm water even, add a spoonful of pure honey and some lemon juice. Clear broth is very good too.
December 15, 2013 at 8:21PM     
garryeoff
laying curled up on a cold floor usually gets me over the worst part. my daughters will tell anyone that if they know what is good for them, they had better clear the way because their dad is headed to the floor. weird....but if i'm not laying there on my own, my body will put me there w/o me knowing what hit me.
December 15, 2013 at 8:37PM     
abbyjean
Being pampered and coddled makes me better in no time at all.....such a good feeling!
December 15, 2013 at 9:08PM     
susannroberts
Fresh Salsa and chips, and water and sleep! I've cured so many cold viruses this way. The salsa has to be fresh like the one they serve here in Texas at Chuy's (Salsa Fresca recipe is on the web). All the ingredients work together to make your body an inhospitable hose for a virus. I eat nothing else but this for a whole day, sometimes a day and a half and I never get the secondary infection that sometimes comes along with a cold requiring antibiotics or a doctor visit!
December 16, 2013 at 8:54AM     
lynie24
chicken noodle soup just the broth if your tummy is upset and ginger ale and rest of course
December 16, 2013 at 9:32AM     
dogmom5
I stay in bed all day & sleep as much as possible. I have the TV on, drink liquids, stay under a warm quilt. By taking the time to recharge by doing nothing always works getting over a bad cold or flu quickly.
December 16, 2013 at 10:02AM   
yoboseiyo
sleep! lots of sleep.

if i catch that i'm getting sick before i get to the "must sleep or die" phase, i try and do something that will make me sweat, and that seems to help me either avoid it, or at least get over it faster.
December 16, 2013 at 10:29AM     
autumnfawl2010
I rarely get sick, but when I do, staying in bed is ideal. However, my kitchen is my healing place, so I get up and cook something or do like I am now and just sit and look out my kitchen window. That really relaxes me and takes me to a good place. Best wishes to the winner. I will really enjoy those slippers! Happy Holidays to all!
December 16, 2013 at 11:32AM     
tkyoung
Hot lemonade, honey and a shot of Southern Comfort. Cures any sore throat or chest congestion! When I was a kid, our dad made us gargle with this! He called it his "medicine" and it wasn't until we grew up, we realized that it had liquor in it!
December 16, 2013 at 12:46PM   
Kim Westwood
If I am sick and feeling miserable I like to be left alone. I don't want any fussing around. If I don't really feel sleepy I like to watch a movie perhaps one of my favourite Johnny Depp ones, usually makes me feel better.
December 16, 2013 at 2:15PM   
elleblue
Warm jammies and a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice, a smidge of maple syrup, a pinch of cayenne pepper and boiled hot water! Takes care of everything.
December 16, 2013 at 4:46PM   
gottalovelowes
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup! It has fresh ginger which is good for the tummy, lemon grass, mushrooms, chicken, cilantro, and Coconut Milk. It looks creamy but won't further congestion or mucus build-up. Can serve over a cup of rice. This soup is so amazing it even helps to lift away the blues. It is just a happy soup :)
December 16, 2013 at 10:52PM     
narniamallorca
Get some walk is always a good idea specially with those views. Also I go for swimming.
December 17, 2013 at 12:59AM     
solraven
20,000 mg of Vit. C, usually stops a cold in its tracks. I can't recall the last time I had a cold.
December 17, 2013 at 1:07AM     
Homescapes Europa Ltd
In case of cold and flu i usually take paracetamol and vitamin C. After taking good steam, i drink hot ginger tea and throughout the day take light but hot and fresh food. This is the best time to catch up with the movies and dramas that were long due to be seen:)
December 17, 2013 at 1:43AM   
xxlalxx
My Financé always knows how to make me feel better. Love an attention when I am sick is the best :-)
December 17, 2013 at 1:46AM   
chicaross
Hot tea, fresh lemon juice, honey and a shot of your favorite liquor. the tea makes you sweat and reduce the fever, the honey is good for the sore throat, the lemon is good for the sinuses and the booze makes you sleesleep. repeat as needed
December 17, 2013 at 12:08PM   
1stacy
Love Relaxing by the fire in my fluffy pjs:)
December 17, 2013 at 12:28PM     
Vicki Bauer
When I'm sick, especially with a cold or sinus headache or flu-like symptoms, my "go to" cure is a nice long shower as hot as I can stand it with lots of steam and deep breathing. It sure beats just curling up and wishing you were dead! The shower accomplishes so many beneficial things like washing any allergens out of your hair, off your body, and down the drain. It also provides the healing power of water ... water is the most natural way to relax and clear your head. The steam and deep breathing will loosen the mucus and add needed moisture to sinuses and the entire respiratory system. A good invigorating scrub down can wake up your circulation and loosen up your muscles. After drying off, get dressed but not in pajamas. Go outside if the sun is shining and enjoy some fresh air sun for a few minutes. Walk around your yard, check the mail, get the newspaper. Now you've treated yourself to the best cure I know.
December 17, 2013 at 3:45PM     
chookchook2
If no mail, tie up the dog and chase the postman yourself. Invigorating.
December 17, 2013 at 6:00PM     
sculptedzoo
My vote goes to all of the above. I want those slippers! :)
December 17, 2013 at 7:49PM   
okdokegal
Me, plus bed, plus my two wool army surplus blankets (voted by hubby as the best birth control ever invented but boy you can sweat and still be comfortable) plus my flannel granny nightgown plus my decongestant (prescription but it starts with a g and is dirt dirt cheap, a huge bottle is like $4 period) and depending on other symptoms other things to manage my comfort and sleep. Bake it out, sleep. You wake me up at your own peril. I get to take a shower until the 40 gallon hot water heater runs out if that's what makes me feel better, etc. Usually our sickroom (the master bedroom) has the tv and bathroom close by and not much farther to fridge, microwave, etc. And we have wifi so you can take your favorite amuse yourself toy with you. If the stomach is touchy and I've been beat with the painstick so bad that my hair and shadow hurt, I will make jello but drink it warm, not put it in the fridge to congeal. Else it's juice and maybe a sandwich or tomato basil soup (I love the progresso stuff) or my homemade version of quick chicken soup (takes the frozen egg noodles). Did I mention go to bed and stay there for a few days at least? And the insulated snaptop sitting there with water, drink water, float to bathroom, drink more... and praying I finish germfarming soon and get them to all pack up and LEAVE, the dude ranch is CLOSED. I am not too proud to buy Northern ultraplush and keep roller kleenix handy if the decongestant isn't stemming the tide. (usually that is the only thing I have to keep controlled else it falls and I get bronchitis).
December 17, 2013 at 8:26PM   
Vert Design | Intérieur
Definitely laying in the tub for a full hour, until the water cools and I get chills. Then grabbing a hot chocolate or herbal tea and slip into my bed ! Unfortunately, work can't stop so I just get de tissue and herbal tea while reviewing plans...
December 17, 2013 at 8:28PM     
catblessing
Home brewed ginger tea: simmer pieces of ginger root with a stick of cinnamon for at least 15 minutes. Strain, squeeze in a tablespoon of lime juice, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper if congested, stir in local honey to taste. Beats any cold medicine!
December 18, 2013 at 3:10AM     
Salad Shop
In all honesty, visiting the pages of Houzz is a lift I need to see in a new perspective, and get inspired..along with a bowl of Greek Avgolemeno Soup (lemon rice) from my late grandfathers recipe. I never met him, but he lives through the tradition we created and really does soothe one to feel better. Ah.....
December 18, 2013 at 8:20AM   
Toni Sabatino
Staying in bed with echinacea tea is my general MO when I feel sick. Rest is key!
December 20, 2013 at 4:16PM   
Jean O
Staying in bed all day would definitely be my remedy of choice! Cuddled up in a nice soft warm blanket with a glass of juice or water and a box of tissue on my bedside!!
December 20, 2013 at 4:24PM   
Todd Brown
Stay in bed all day
December 20, 2013 at 4:52PM     
Michael Lee, Inc
Stay in bed all day for sure!!
December 20, 2013 at 4:56PM     
Carol Bender
Chicken soup seems to help too
December 20, 2013 at 4:59PM     
3wizkids
ice cream
December 20, 2013 at 5:31PM     
reba120
I vote for ice cream too!
December 20, 2013 at 6:32PM     
ilovemickey
When I'm sick, I like to be lazy :)
December 21, 2013 at 8:45AM     
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to @abbyjean for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, you still have some time left to get your comments into our New Years poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/775303/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--DIY-Projects
December 23, 2013 at 11:12AM     
abbyjean
LOVE it! Thank you soooo much! I will smile smile smile when I put them on in the evening and sit down with my laptop to gab with you all!
December 23, 2013 at 11:35AM     
Donna
Congrats Abbyjean..............enjoy !
December 23, 2013 at 2:11PM   
abbyjean
The best site period!
December 23, 2013 at 4:42PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
A 5th of Jack..........then I don't really give a crap how I feel.
December 23, 2013 at 4:58PM     
TMK Remodeling
Don't get sick in the first place
December 23, 2013 at 5:06PM   
Steam Showers make me feel better when I am sick?
Would love to get everyones opionon, personally I feel...
How to make my reading room feel better?
I don't know why my reading room feels so empty, I...
I don't know why my reading room feel so empty ,I have...
How / What would you do to make this space feel warm & cozy?
How / What would you do to make this space feel warm...
white kitchen cabinets, what colour for white walls
I have white kitchen cabinets and want to paint the...
is this rug too busy?
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?...
Need ideas for our formal living room
I am looking for ideas for drapes, rug, coffee table...
Crystal orb in the entry
My husband is dead set on this fixture for our foyer...
Living room design
Hello All, I am in the slow but enjoyable process...