Need Help with exterior paint color, gray metal roof
mistymoon
Not sure how to handle this- I just bought new home with yellow ceramic (25-yr warranty) paint with white window trim, light gray architectural details at two front peaks, and dark/medium gray metal roof. The yellow paint needs a second coat, which will be covered under warranty, but, I am not crazy about the color. It may just be the shade, maybe a mellower yellow would be more appealing. I am thinking of changing the top coat for an additional fee. The window trim will have to stay white. I typically like contrasts. I don't know if I should (1) apply a mellower yellow, (2) go with a blue-gray or a blue/teal-gray (love the color!) (but, would it have to be as deep as the roof color? How do you choose correct shade? Would it be too similar to the roof? (3) light gray? (4) sage? (5) something else?

The house sits on a corner, and the side of the house really shows a lot of roof. So the metal gray is dominant. The yellow is more pronounced on a sunny day. I need to take another set of pics to sure the color more accurately. I really appreciate your time and opinions! Thank you!!
happyasaclam
Take several pictures of your home at different times of the day and up load them on Sherwin Williams program that simulates different colors and see which color appeals to you :)) I haven't tried it myself but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try! :)))
December 13, 2013 at 8:12pm     
mistymoon
Great Idea! Thanks!
December 13, 2013 at 8:23pm   
joycealaina
DARLING HOUSE, BLUE GRAY WOULD BE NICE, KEEPIG 1 SECTION ALL WHITE, LIKE THE BAY WNDOW.
December 13, 2013 at 8:25pm        Thanked by mistymoon
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
What a charming house......I feel that painting it blue gray would not work because of the roof......it's too similar.........The roof is wonderful and an asset...........the white windows are very nice.

Try a more contrasting color for the walls......
A deeper richer shade of yellow
a deep dark barn red
A rich shade of green, but not too dark.

the way to decide is to select 4 or 5 colors that you think might work and paint swatches on the side of the house........or to be safe, put the paint on the side of large pieces of plywood and lean them up against the walls...........Look at the swatches during different times of the day and in different lighting. Look at the paint over a period of a week and choose the one that you like best.
December 13, 2013 at 8:57pm        Thanked by mistymoon
December 13, 2013 at 10:16pm     
pcmom1
A richer yellow:

December 13, 2013 at 10:22pm   
mistymoon
That is lovely and a good choice. Thank you.
December 14, 2013 at 12:56pm   
mistymoon
Thank you for all your comments and pictures! I really like them all. I uploaded my picture on Sherwin-Williams and have been playing around with it, trying it with all your suggestions. All are good choices. I am considering a richer yellow, sage, light gray, and brick red (I don't think I am gutsy enough for that big of a change, though). I also have been driving around and sort of "window shopping" others' homes. I am surprised that Sage keeps catching my eye, but they usually use cream for trim and dark window sashes with it. I love blue-green color too, but, I agree that it wouldn't contrast enough with the roof. Thanks for all your help!
December 14, 2013 at 1:05pm     
dianahb
I think you could go to the paint store, or ask the painter, and get them to use the same paint, but add something to change the hue where it doesn't have so much green in it. I think it's a very green yellow (from the first photo), and something deeper and richer would be nicer. Maybe it needs red or magenta added to it? Or you could just change it to a beige/gray color, like 228 Pendleton Road above. I like that. But I also like the Urban Farmhouse, where the yellow is deeper and richer (and, I'm guessing, has some red in it).
December 14, 2013 at 1:36pm   
rosecottagehome
You can google search " yellow exterior home images" or "sage green exterior home images" and you will see many examples of the differents shades of these colors and see what you prefer. Your home is so charming! I love it and think the right shade of yellow or sage green will look stunning.
December 14, 2013 at 2:14pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Photos of sage green houses from my files.........or more grey green......
December 14, 2013 at 2:24pm   
happyasaclam
If you will be landscaping on the side of the house, that will soften the way that side looks. As the bushes grow in the front the house will look more "grounded" too. The plumbing cleanouts make me think the house is brand new. No matter what color it is, its a cute place!
December 14, 2013 at 3:06pm   
lessismoore
Darling house. Just an idea, go two tone; add deeper, more ochre yellow on most of it, but add some aqua trim (I love yellow and aqua) and a deeper acqua (teal's paler cousin) front door.
December 14, 2013 at 3:47pm   
Comforts of Home
With all the other photos shown, I like your house the best.
December 15, 2013 at 7:08am     
chookchook2
Yours is a French yellow that is very in fashion and yet won't date. Put navy plant pots outside with edible bright green plants in them.
December 15, 2013 at 9:29pm   
pcmom1
I think staining the foundation and pathway a darker gray (more like the roof) will ground your home more. (need to click on to see the bottom of picture)

December 16, 2013 at 9:27am     
mistymoon
great idea, thanks!
February 2, 2014 at 8:48am   
Need help with exterior paint color. Have weird roof color!
We live in a 1950's house in an older neighborhood...
Need help with exterior paint color and roof color!
I have a 1950's ranch style house that has been abused...
Help! Need Exterior Paint Color to Match White Roof in Florida
Goal #1 to reduce our solar heat gain thru color,...
Need help matching exterior paint color to tiled roof...
I have been having a difficult time finding a paint...
Island layout help...before it goes in for reals...
I've got a large L shaped island with a 40x84 island...
Redecorating new rental
I am beginning to redecorate my new rental and don't...
i need help with my tiny studio apartment
I need help on how I can make it look better
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...
Hue suggestion?
When we choose our stone we thought we'd do our hardy...