Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris_dow

Sewing tables in the US? (Hand sewing, not machine cabinets.)

KD
10 years ago
Wondering if anyone knows of any companies, preferably in the US, making anything similar to a Victorian sewing table?

I briefly had use of one that was a proper antique when I lived in the UK, and it was very nice and I'd like to get something similar for in my living room, but the only thing I'm finding are antiques, usually in the UK or AU, and usually fairly ornate ones which aren't terribly aesthetically pleasing to me. (I mean, if I inherited one I'm not going to complain, but if I'm spending the money for an antique I want something I really like, you know? I prefer the sleeker more elegant styles in antiques - where there isn't a lot going on, but every single line is clearly carefully crafted and finished just so.)

I'd prefer not to have to get an antique at this point, although that is an option. But it's such a potentially handy piece of furniture that I'm surprised I'm not turning up more that follows the same idea of hidden storage and organization. (Are we supposed to just use storage ottomans and chests these days?)

Photo attached just for reference so people can see what I'm talking about in case it's properly called something else. My MIL always called it a sewing table.

Comments (10)

• KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Al Fortunato - That's good to know, that's another option I'm considering. I do a lot of hand sewing projects and knitting so it seems like a really nice way of keeping a project available without having it out and possibly looking messy or tempting people or pets to tangle it up.

What would be the process for that? Should I be collecting images of styles of wood furniture that I like in terms of lines/shapes so that if I do go the custom made route we have a place to start? I don't think I'd want to do a straight reproduction of an antique if I was getting it custom. I'd rather do something that could potentially become an antique in the future, if that makes sense.
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10 years ago
    @ PirateFoxy - Yes pictures are always a good way to start. If you take them, the more closeups the better, at a good resolution. The type of wood you would like is also a good basic starting point, with some ideas of color or just natural. Overall dimensions is also helpful.
    KD thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • User
    10 years ago
    I browsed your website, you do beautiful work, Mr. Fortunato. I wish I could hire you; sigh.

@PirateFoxy, I'd say you're in good hands and hope you can get what you want. The idea of the sewing table is very intriguing, thank you for bringing it up. Neat picture also.
    KD thanked User
  • KD
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @okdokegal - Yeah, this'll definitely be an investment piece as far as my bank account is concerned. Any future houses clash with the sewing table? HOUSE DECOR CHANGES. :) So if I have one made it'll probably not be right away because I just moved and am dealing with all of those associated expenses.

I'm just confused about why I don't seem to turn up much in the US with searching online. They seem like they would've been quite handy things to have back in the day when women did handicrafts and mending.
  • pafarmhouse
    10 years ago
    If you google "Martha Washington sewing cabinet" you will see images and sources for a style of sewing cabinet that was quite popular in the USA many years ago. I live in eastern PA and they are quite common in antique malls and places that sell good used furniture. Although antiques, they are generally reasonable in price.
    KD thanked pafarmhouse
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    You mean not everyone uses an old metal cookie tin?? ;)

Pirate, I have been lucky enough to inherit several variations on the theme. Try an ebay search using "sewing basket". Good luck
    KD thanked bubbasgma
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    piratefoxy, how handy are you?
    could you make one out of a series of nested boxes and a simple frame?

something like that could work until you're able to engage mr. fortunato to make you something fancy and awesome.

alternatively, i looked on ebay for "sewing box" and found much.
    http://tinyurl.com/nygpkwv
    http://tinyurl.com/l793ds3
    http://tinyurl.com/kch2rfn

i shrunk the urls because ebay's are always so freeking long.
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10 years ago
    @okdokegal - Thank You.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Yep..I've always seen them called Martha Washington tables
    KD thanked dclostboy
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio