Suggestions on built in (eyesore)
jessica826
I am looking for suggestions on improving this built in media center (eye sore) in our home. What color and/or ideas do you suggest? I prefer a more modern/sleek/clean look. I have attached a close up so you can see why it is such an eyesore. I also attached a picture of the kitchen so you get an idea of other colors. Im thinking of having the shelving on the built in media center removed and paint the wood on the built in. But Im not sure what color? Ideas? Suggestions on this eyesore?
Wendy
Tried to upload your photo to do some color changes on your built in and wasn't successful. Resolution too low.
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 4:56PM
mountie
Paint it the same color as the fireplace and trim.
5 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:03PM
Lynne Mysliwiec
Sand that baby down and paint it. You could have new doors made for it if you cannot stand the existing door style, but they don't look ornate or overly traditional in your closeup.
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:11PM
okdokegal
Paint it in white or the wall color, make it disappear that way.
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:12PM
jessica826
Thank you for the suggestions! Wendy, I uploaded new pics with a higher resolution.
0 Likes   December 14, 2013 at 5:15PM
jessica826
More pics!
0 Likes   December 14, 2013 at 5:19PM
delliott1760
Yep I agree....paint it the same color as the fireplace and wall and it will blend right in and change the entire look!!!,
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:48PM
pafarmhouse
I think I would paint the wood cabinet, shelving and doors to match the paint in that part of the room, and then paint the wall behind the shelving the green of the fireplace wall. I would probably use semigloss paint on the wood for both appearance sake and ease of cleaning.
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:54PM
pafarmhouse
I meant to add that I think it could actually be an asset to the room, with a new paint job and some decorative objects on the shelving that relate to the other colors on the roo.
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:56PM
Scott Design, Inc.
For a more contemporary approach...simplify. Consider removing everything...all wood. Paint the recessed area the same color as the wall. Install a wall hung drawer unit approx. 12" above the floor with a 3" counter (allow clearance for the woofer and make sure there is flooring under this unit now). Offset the wall mounted TV to the right freeing up space to the left for 2" thick floating shelves. Here's a quick concept sketch
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 5:59PM
jessica826
I like all these suggestions. Thanks a bunch! I would prefer to go the more contemporary route and simply. However, I think sanding and painting, removing the shelving and maybe adding contemporary knobs may be more economical, right?

Also, the color above the fireplace is actually the same color as the curtain, taupe. However, it does look like a nasty green in the pic.

Our dining room is a blank slate right now. The walls are the same color as walls in these pics. Suggestions on adding some more color to this home in there? I would like something that goes along with the bright pillows in the pics. Ideas on paint colors? I have a hard time adding color as you can see from the pics. But I need some color! Help!! Again, I want stay away from the traditional feel. Im slowing trying to convert to a more contemporary feel/look.
0 Likes   December 14, 2013 at 7:21PM
Wendy
I was going to photo shop and paint out the same color as the wall. Still wrong resolution. I think it's fighting for attention with the fireplace. But no matter how you do it the TV will still be there?? If I can find the images someone in Houzz put a frame around their tv. (hung on the wall of course) and put a credenza under. They painted it out a accent color and around the TV they hung pictures so when the TV was off it really blended in. I'll look for them. I knew I should of booked marked that.
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 7:35PM
jessica826
Yes, hubby wants tv there. Ugh! Thanks for trying Wendy!
0 Likes   December 14, 2013 at 7:41PM
Mari O'Connor
I would try getting large contact paper the colors that you think that you might want to paint it and tack those on to the doors of the unit, to see how it looks in that color for a few weeks, before making a commitment to actually paint it that color. I'm a big fan of stripping furniture/trim so would consider removing the doors, stripping them to bare wood, smooth out and repair the rough parts (looks like holes from thumb tacks) and then stain it a lighter color, or keep it the same color (which looks like what the kitchen cabinets are). It's a lovely room, beautifully decorated. The cabinet set in like that is nice but it would be good to clean it up and restore it.
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 7:44PM
jessica826
The previous owners had ornate gold decor nailed ALL over it. Yuk!!! Husband ripped it all off.
0 Likes   December 14, 2013 at 7:48PM
emilyhelm
Maybe adding moulding around the built in with a heavy emphasis on the top??
http://sawdustgirl.com/2013/06/14/how-to-trick-out-your-trim-molding-in-5-easy-steps/
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 7:48PM
njmomma777
In order to have that fit into your beautiful home, I think that it has to be the same color as your fireplace and molding needs to be added around the entire unit. Once it's painted , you will see if you need to replace the doors or not. Looking forward to seeing it once your done!
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 8:02PM
jessica826
And thank you Mari!
0 Likes   December 14, 2013 at 8:02PM
Rip it out. Replace the whole thing with a modern floating console.
4 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 8:11PM
Interior Designs by Bridget, LLC
Hi There! You have a beautiful space, thanks for all the pictures. Have you ever though of repositioning the furniture to make the built in less of a eyesore? Have the couch face the fireplace, then take those two chairs and place them in front of the built in you dislike, Of course leaving room to open those cabinets. It may distract the eye a bit. You may need to fill up the space again in front of the fireplace but that may help balance out the space. Good Luck!
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 14, 2013 at 8:25PM
Try replacing wood with reclaimed wood like your coffee table. Good job on your room, looks great.
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 15, 2013 at 1:07PM
Your home is beautiful. And looks like a designer helped. If you did on your own. I'm sure with what ever you decide it will be great.
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 15, 2013 at 1:09PM
mallorybee
Are you really attached to it? If it were me, I would just rip it out/drywall over it. Something like this on a smaller scale might be nice...
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 15, 2013 at 1:17PM
lucindalane
Well, I'm not a real estate pro, but I have always thought that built in cabinets added to the value of a person's home. The unit certainly needs to be updated. It's going to have to be sanded to paint it, and that sounds like it probably is the easiest way to make it look nice again. It would probably only take a little more sanding to have someone stain it back to that original dark stain, and since your kitchen cabinets are dark, you already have some dark wood visible in the area. So, that is also an option. However, since the tv is dark, I think that painting might be the way to go, since that would probably make the tv and whatever else you put in the cabinet stand out more, but have the cabinet itself fit into the whole room scheme better than it does now. I do think its an asset, but in its current state it does seem rather like a "black hole" on that side of your room.
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 15, 2013 at 1:41PM
MS Colours Inc
Paint a soft white and then glaze it lightly. There is a lot of distressing on that cabinet that would be very difficult to fill and sand out smooth..
1 Like   Thanked by jessica826    December 15, 2013 at 2:27PM
jen046
Maybe remove the top bookcase part and try to salvage the bottom--paint probably. Paint a contrasting color on the repaired drywall in the upper part of the niche. Put a nice countertop on it and mount the TV on the wall. Add a few tasteful, but uncluttered accents--pottery or maybe art glass.
2 Likes   Thanked by jessica826    December 15, 2013 at 3:14PM
Suggestions on built ins... And overall layout
So we moved in a few months back after fully renovating...
Any suggestions on how to improve this kitchen fireplace built-in?
Despite being difficult to access the working fireplace,...
suggestions to replace built in globe lights in medicine cabinet
medicine cabinet has 43.5" x 2.5" built in light section...
need suggestions on how to paint asymmetrical built-in shelving unit
This built-in was in the house when we moved in. The...
How to safely "hide" a visible water heater in the kitchen
Does anyone have ideas on how to either create an interesting...
LED Lighting
I am using can lights in a new home construction. I...
Chair storage
My harvest table has 14 chairs, of which 6 are seldom...
Need help with a dining room tablescape
I'm looking for just the right tablescape to set off...
Kitchen and family room is together.
I need help with color and design to get a nice flow...