Modern wood tone for kitchen cabinets
Michaela L
We are building a house from the ground up, so we have the blessing/curse of needing to choose every single thing in the whole place. (Yay!) We're currently working on the design for the kitchen.

Everything newly built in our area has white Shaker cabinets. I honestly find these pretty plain (plus we like the look of some wood grains). I'm also a little leery of following a current trend exactly, especially since I don't love it.

What I currently *like* is cherry. Here's my dilemma: I know folks say "Put in what you like," but I know from past experience that it takes me awhile to figure out that my tastes are not up to date -- and once I do figure it out, I have a really hard time ignoring it. I've seen a few sites mention that cherry is on the way out so that worries me a bit.

Does anyone have a suggestion/example pics of an interesting wood tone we could consider for the kitchen? Our tastes are fairly transitional -- clean lines with some details, no contemporary glossy cabinets.

Here's one kitchen I've saved:
lucindalane
Hi, Michaela,
I think that is a great inspiration pic for cabinets, because I believe that both the style of cabinet and the shade/grain of the wood are things that are not going to go out of style in a few years-if ever, IMO. If I were building a house, that is what I would try to install, because they are one of the most expensive things that a person has to replace, or remodel, usually. If you have something like this already in place, then later all you would have to do is replace a counter or backsplash, if you want to make a change in a few years.
   December 15, 2013 at 2:57AM
Shaker style isn't going away anytime soon due to their simplistic design. Here is one example that is more contemporary and trendy with wood grains.

December 15, 2013 at 5:50AM
CDR Design
Your choice is perfect.

Trends: if it is in this year, it will be out next. I think a mid-tone wood grain in simple style is best. Very dark or very light-toned cabinets you will tire of soon.

When I was a kid, by Mom bought Shaker style chairs for her dining table in Shakertown, KY. They are still in style.

Less is more.
1 Like   December 15, 2013 at 5:56AM
Cheryl Fisher
Good advice dytecture! Go with the classic style you love for the larger more enduring pieces, and accent with trendier styles and colours on the less costly/ harder to update pieces. If you keep getting drawn back to these cabinets, you should go with them!
1 Like   December 15, 2013 at 6:36AM
Patricia Colwell
I agree to go with what you love and if that is cherry then do it. I grew up with Canadian cherry in our home, cabinets, DR table and they were timeless. Shaker style will always be around and for good reason , they are simple and go with almost any style. Just be careful you don't go wood crazy all the different woods are just too many and make choosing the rest of the stuff difficult.
   December 15, 2013 at 6:57AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Michaela,
First, I am pleased you like our design and have placed it in your idea book. I concur with Dytecture that a shaker door style is timeless and you should feel confident in in this selection. The two most dated trends you want to avoid are arched doors and 3/4 overlay face frame cabinetry. These two style options scream dated before you even start. They were used a lot in the '70's and '80s.
As for cherry fading in popularity, we do not see that in the Pac NW where we are located. Understand that cherry darkens with age, so if you have a lot of light streaming into your kitchen, cherry cabinets will darken with time.
Here is a kitchen with cherry cabinets with slab rather than five piece drawers. The flooring, strand bamboo, is not properly represented in the is photo. It is actually a lovely wheat color.

1 Like   December 15, 2013 at 7:07AM
brickln
The style you've chosen is a perfect transitional option.
   December 15, 2013 at 7:08AM
I concur - cherry is timeless as are shaker style cabinets. If your preferred accent color palette is warm it is perfect. If your color palette is particularly cool (you prefer blues /purples to reds/oranges as accents, then maple may be a better choice of wood tone). Maple darkens more yellow, where cherry darkens more red-orange (undertones) as a general rule. They both have beautiful grain.
   December 15, 2013 at 7:26AM
auntiebuzzybee
I understand your concern because no one wants to make a huge blunder. It's all too easy to second guess yourself and get to the point where you are really over thinking it. Go with your own taste. You know what you prefer. That may not always be the biggest "trend" but it will reflect "YOU". You get what YOU like and what YOU can afford. (Fortunately, you have very good taste!) Enjoy your new beautiful cherry cabinets and congratulations.
   December 15, 2013 at 6:11PM
955reber
Michaela,
I'm glad you posted, because we are also building and I have the same wonderment about cabinets. I too desire cherry, so all theses responses are helpful. What do you plan for accent colors and flooring? I've been told don't try to mix too many woods together, as they'll end up fighting each other.

To A Kitchen That Works, LLC, I really like the stain color and style of cabinets in the photo you posted. I'm very attracted to the backsplash. What is it, if I may ask?
   December 15, 2013 at 6:26PM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
@955reber
The photo I posted should have tags on it if you go to our Houzz page. The backsplash is slate subway tile and the stain on the cabinets is wheat (if my memory serves me). Cabinets are from Dura Supreme.
   December 15, 2013 at 7:36PM
alliekt
We put in cherry cabinets 17 years ago and we still love them. We did go against the trend by putting in maple wood countertops (think butcher block cutting board). The counters are beautiful, warm, and I don't have to worry about breaking a glass when I set it down on counter. Everyone loves them, easy maintenance and we cut right on the counter (all but meat). They are the best! I personally find the granite cold looking (and feeling).
   December 15, 2013 at 7:46PM
alliekt
One more thing, we have oak floors, so mixing wood is not an issue.
   December 15, 2013 at 7:48PM
cwcdesigndetails
Here is a door I designed just for the transitional market. It's in a cinnamon stained cherry.
   December 17, 2013 at 6:37PM
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
Tierra Sol Tile - Provenza In-Essence
We are think of using Tierra Sol's tile "Provenza In-Essence"...
Awkward Entryway, Unused Room
Help! We moved into a small, 1950's home a few weeks...
New Sofas but no idea how to design a stylish living room
Hi, we just moved from Tokyo to NY. Now we have...
Pool Planning - Help Please!
I am looking into the possibility of an in-ground swimming...