MAIN COLORS for LIVING ROOM
Elisabete Moreira
Hello!
I'm not sure about the main color(s) to choose for my leaving room. I'm talking mostly about the curtains, carpet and main decoration. Colors that will match with the wall color, the couch, furniture and the floor. Most things were already in the house and I want to maintain.

Want to give some warm, modern and bright life to the living room.
Thank you very much!
sondramartina
Personally I would go with bright ,colourful rug and accessories

December 15, 2013 at 5:13AM     
The furniture in the photos are quite nice, just needs some finishing touches such as art work and accent colors.

December 15, 2013 at 5:38AM     
Elisabete Moreira
Thank you all for the ideas! And witch accent colors do you think will fit better? I feel stuck because of the wall color and the wood color too. I don't want it to be something heavy or too serious.
December 15, 2013 at 6:13AM   
dclostboy
Do you like the red in the lampshade? Perhaps use that as a jumping off point...
December 15, 2013 at 6:59AM     
Elisabete Moreira
Oh, very nice examples! Yes, I do like the red. Actually, the lampshade came from my previous house, where the living room was decorated mostly with red. I was hooping to have something new, but red matches fine here too...
December 15, 2013 at 9:03AM     
happyasaclam
Can you paint the walls? Painting can open up a whole new palate of colors and ideas! :))
December 15, 2013 at 9:51AM     
If you had red before, you may want something different? What is your favorite color? What is the main color in your clothes closet? Let's do something different.
December 15, 2013 at 10:08AM     
Elisabete Moreira
That's it Darzy :) Well.. What makes it hard for me is that, in fact, I love many colors and I'm not afraid to use them. Red, blue, green, violet, gold, silver... Yes, painting the wall would make it easy, but I was hooping not to...
December 15, 2013 at 10:19AM     
Elisabete...great! Use all of the colors! Soft lime green, blues, teal and purple! (Plus the silver). Check out this photo. Neutral walls and sofa but a wonderful mix of color.

December 15, 2013 at 10:37AM     
December 15, 2013 at 10:42AM     
December 15, 2013 at 11:01AM     
DENISE BRADLEY FOR ETHAN ALLEN CANADA
i would go a warm grey for the walls
December 15, 2013 at 11:01AM     
sbrustein
As for the original issue, I think the walls are a neutral off white- kind of like a B. Moore linen or Navajo white, correct? In that case, absolutely colors you choose should work just fine. I thought the lampshade was an orange-y red which I particularly like with the walls and sofa. For inspiration, I would goto a place like Home Goods and see the area rugs. Choose one you like and match curtains, pillows accessories to it.
December 15, 2013 at 11:56AM     
carolins
Elisabete,
do you have artwork that you will be hanging in the room? Maybe you can pick a colour from that as a cue for the rug, curtains, pillows and whathaveyou :-) Another idea could be just to keep the large things, like the rug and the curtains, neutral: greige, grey, beige, white... And then you can bring colour in with pillows, art, beautiful glass bowls or vases on your sideboard.
December 15, 2013 at 12:05PM     
Salih Narman
Some colorful rugs would spice things up too in this room, Check out my online store for alternative items: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkishCraftsArts
December 15, 2013 at 1:07PM     
dclostboy
With the canvas you have provided, you can color it with almost anything. Need to find one thing you consider a "must have" in the room and then easier to provide coordinating suggestions.
December 15, 2013 at 2:19PM     
Elisabete Moreira
Jesus... If I wanted professional help I would look for it by other means. But I don't have a budget for it and, even if I had, I would never hire it just to get some help with COLORS. I would ask to anyone with good taste and a bit of time. I respect all professionals but, honestly, I don't believe that my innocent question and the OPINIONS that I kindly received will kill your good and recognized work and investment. So, yes, this is the wrong post to have this discussion. I didn't ask for someone to 'decorate' my leaving room!
December 15, 2013 at 2:29PM     
Barbie
I think blues and oranges would look great in your space.
December 15, 2013 at 2:34PM     
sondramartina
Elisabete If I were you I would open new discussion. Your room has a great potential, please keep us posted if you make any changes.
December 15, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Elisabete Moreira
Now, back to the help! Thank you very, very much :)
I feel less desperate, now.

Darzy you really nailed it on the first photo! I felt that everything was possible and with the colors I like!

Carolins, I don't have artwork yet. So I think I will go for your second advice!
December 15, 2013 at 2:39PM     
Elisabete Moreira
Sondramartina, so kind of you! Hope I will create something nice to show you all! Best wishes guys
December 15, 2013 at 2:44PM     
carolins
Sondramartina's first photo she posted is a nice example of a very neutral room that you can add any colour to that you like.
December 15, 2013 at 2:52PM     
jwhistler
You would want something bright to go with the natural light. My bedroom has tons of natural light and brightened it with this nice yellow color.
December 15, 2013 at 3:22PM     
m3459
Elizabete, Darzy is the bomb. Great eye and listening skills. Follow her lead and you'll be in love with your living space....
December 15, 2013 at 3:26PM     
Gee thanks m3459!
December 15, 2013 at 5:16PM     
cmarquardt1
You have a great neutral background to work with! I love Darzy's photo and how she listened to your wish list of colors...be sure to study that!! Also, have fun playing on houzz and saving photos that appeal to you and your space...I think with the proper rugs, art, pillows. accent pieces and window treatment that this space will be fantastic! Also, play a bit with furniture placement (doesn't look like you have room for the coffee table) Can't wait to see what you do with this room!
December 15, 2013 at 6:37PM     
sondramartina
Dslotboom I can not believe you found that resume !!!
LOL
December 15, 2013 at 6:52PM     
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Elisabete, your question is so wide open that it is hard for a Pro to answer, as I would have so many questions for you to narrow down and eventually support your choice rather than impose my own. Still, I think you have lots of input to choose from in this thread. Consider how the light hits the room at different times of day, what tonal value or hue in a given colour lightens your spirit or weighs you down, favourite articles that might guid a colours selection, etc. Issues such as your intended plan to keep or sell a property, tolerance for sticking with a design or love for "changing it up" also come into play and guide whether the colour you seek comes through decorative items or is made more permanent. Have fun figuring it all out---Ideabooks are an inspiration on Houzz!
December 15, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Nancy Walton
Elisabete, I think your room would benefit from removing the dark blinds and going with a white faux-wood blind or white sheer curtain. The room appears dark and gloomy to me, and if your peruse the ideabooks you will notice that most of the modern designs are light and airy, with as much natural light as possible.

I just looked at your photos again and realized the blinds were outside the windows. Are you located in Europe, or the Middle East? I know they use those outside blinds a lot where there are sandstorms, so therefore my question. I think they also use them in the Islands, where hurricanes can damage windows.

In any case, I would try to use light fabrics and rugs to lighten up the "mood," and save the bright colors for artwork and accessories such as throw pillows, vases, etc.
December 15, 2013 at 8:07PM     
chookchook2
Take your room colours from a rug you love. Go shopping and take your room and couch measurements with you.
December 15, 2013 at 8:32PM     
@bsellers1394. Thank you! You noticed. :)
December 16, 2013 at 11:50AM   
Darzy conducts herself like a professional all the time. She shares good ideas, makes good recommendations and is always, always pleasant and complimentary to other houzers. Gal is a winner, IMO.

And, she doesn’t have PRO under her picture. Holy Cow!
December 16, 2013 at 12:44PM     
iamjudy... back at you! I always love your ideas (better than mine, my dear!) and I think you're a real pro!
December 16, 2013 at 12:55PM     
Elisabete Moreira
Thank you all for your time! I'm trying to see as much as possible (ideabooks, stores, blogs, etc) to get inspired and to place myself and my own tastes. And I'm trying to figure out some unusual stores where I can find nice things. I'm tired of the most common ones, where I'm from. Too expensive or poor personality. The sale season is arriving and hope I'll get lucky!

Nancy Walton, I'm from Europe. No hurricanes or sandstorms, just old habits :)
December 18, 2013 at 9:20AM   
carolins
Elisabete, you may find this an inspiring website. I'm in Europe too :-) http://www.remodelista.com/
December 18, 2013 at 9:42AM     
carolins
And check out eBay or whatever website there is in your country for second hand items (and new), second hand shops... to find characterful original things.
December 18, 2013 at 9:45AM     
sondramartina
I remember those blinds on the outside :) and offcourse i would not remove them since they can be just "rolled up". My uncle had them and after huge hail storm his windows were intact,only blinds were full of holes .
December 18, 2013 at 10:28AM     
Front of Cabin (Exterior)
We have a cedar-sided lake cabin & love the front porch...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Bookshelf dimensions for books
Many of the bookshelves I see today have a lot of space...
Help me decorate my dining room. I'm stuck!
I'm trying to finish up my dining room & I can't decide...