I need help!
bamemory
I have a historic home. The old outdoor porch has been closed in. I had a bench made and I am going to have a round ottoman in front of it for feet lounging. I need a functional drop-leaf table that is no more than 17 inches console with leafs down that will sit against the wall but be pulled over and used as a eating/card game table when the kids come home from college with all their friends. The room is long and narrow. I think dimensions must be 46 long, 16 deep and 14 drop. One or two drops is fine. It will go here in this photo when in function mode. When not in function mode, I will have a round ottoman. The bench will all be upholstered shortly.

Help.
bamemory
This is my second picture. This bookshelf is where the drop leaf needs to go. It will be able to be moved in front of the bench for functionality.
December 15, 2013 at 6:32AM   
Comforts of Home
Great space but not sure of your question. Do you want to know where to find a table or if that is the best use of this space?
December 15, 2013 at 6:32AM     
bamemory
Both, really. The dimensions are tricky for the table to serve as a console and as a functioning table, and the location of the table is so specific on size. It is near a doorway and cannot come out more than 16 inches from the wall, 17 most. It has to be the right height to eat and play games on. And I kind of feel that if it is a double drop, that it will make it more of a closed-in feeling, although it may not. The room is very very narrow and long. It used to be a back porch. This house was built in 1896.
December 15, 2013 at 6:44AM   
bamemory
I have another picture. How can I get it to the original post?
December 15, 2013 at 6:45AM   
Gina
Can you post a picture of the room in a wide or different angle?
December 15, 2013 at 7:36AM   
bamemory
This is a very small, narrow room. Imagine an old historic home with a back porch, but the back porch has been closed in. That is our room. The more horizontal picture shows the slanted roof and the closed in window over the bench that used to be the outside of the house. A bathroom is on the other side of that window. So the small Christmas tree on the right is next to the bookshelf, which is where the drop-leaf table is projected to go. Size is limited, of course. Thank you!
December 15, 2013 at 10:25AM   
Would you have better success if you planned the drop leaf table to sit under the window where the oval table and chair are? Might not be so limited on the depth of it. I'd want the bookcase to stay.
December 15, 2013 at 10:46AM   
bamemory
The area under the window is only 38 long and the window starts 23 inches off the ground, and I definitely do not want to impede the window. I need the window. The bookshelf is going to have to go I think. It truly serves no functional purpose. This is just a tv/reading room. What else do you suggest?
December 15, 2013 at 10:55AM   
How about an antique "tilt-top" table like the one in the background here? It won't take up much space.

December 15, 2013 at 2:57PM   
brickln
I've never seen a table less than 20", and I think it would be difficult to eat or play games at one that narrow. I'd just keep a 28-30" high bookcase or occasional table there and use it as a base when you need a full size table.
December 15, 2013 at 3:03PM   
bamemory
Exactly. I am looking for drop-leaf. I saw one on one of the pix on here, but when I click on it it just takes me to the website for the architect that designed the house. But that is what I am looking for.
December 15, 2013 at 3:05PM   
bamemory
I can get a console drop-down. I just have to find the right one. Table will be about 18 inches deep, and then the drop down can be about 14. So when you want to use it, you just pop it out and use it. Height around 29 inches. Just gotta find it.
December 15, 2013 at 3:06PM   
brickln
But the width will still only be 18", barely wider than a small dining chair. If only two people are using the table, it could work.
December 15, 2013 at 3:21PM   
lucindalane
Here's a drop leaf table from Target, only online, though. It says its made of unfinished hardwood, and the dimensions are 30" high, 22" wide, and 18" deep-and it looks like the 22" means when the "leafs" are down, and it looks like when they are "out" that it has a pretty good spread. It has a pretty good price, too-at least before the shipping and handling. It says it weighs 31 lbs., I believe. Since its unfinished, you could stain it, or just paint it to match something else. It also drops from both sides. http://www.target.com/p/drop-leaf-table/-/A-11231682?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|11231682&CPNG=Furniture&kpid=11231682&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=11231682&gclid=COe9t_-ts7sCFUsV7AoduSoAbA
December 15, 2013 at 3:25PM   
brickln
If the space can take a 22" projection into the room, it looks like that one will work, lucinda! The table is 39" D when open.
December 15, 2013 at 3:36PM   
wendyyielding
; b Ross.
December 15, 2013 at 3:37PM   
bamemory
The drop-down table is over by the wall and will be used as a console table with a lamp and pictures on it when we don't need it. But when the kids come home from college with their friends (they travel in groups, ya know), then we will pull it in front of the bench from the wall, pop the drop leafs up, and have a table to play cards on. When we are not using the table for that, we will have a round ottoman in front of the bench to prop feet up and use as a coffee table. When we need the console table functional, then we can pull up the ottoman (s) that I plan to use as a coffee table in front of the couch that you see in the pix. What do you think of that idea? The drop leaf console stays in console position until we need it. So perhaps 18 inches deep. Then when we need it, we pop it up and use it.
Thoughts?
December 15, 2013 at 3:51PM   
bamemory
22 is too deep. It will protrude into the walkway area from that door that goes into the hallway, which we use a lot.
December 15, 2013 at 3:52PM     
Lesley Delle_Grazie
Have you checked Ikea? I just bought a drop-leaf table to use as my sewing table, or for holiday dinners in a pinch, but I haven't put it together yet so I'm not sure of the dimensions. It's got a really cute country look to it with turned legs and comes in white, almost-black and a wood-tone. I have an older one in my trailer that's only about 14" when it's folded, but I don't think it's available anymore, and it's not likely what you'd be looking for style-wise. Perhaps what you're looking for is actually a fold-out console, where the top flips open to use as a table. I'd search that, instead of drop-leaf, although you may not be able to comfortably seat as many as you'd like.
December 15, 2013 at 4:19PM   
bamemory
Yes, good idea. Fold out console
December 15, 2013 at 5:02PM   
brickln
I know they travel in groups, which is why I encourage you to think about the open dimensions of the table. 18" wide is too narrow for a group of adults to sit across from one another for most activities, IMO. That's 9" of space for each side, the width of a placemat. Ok if you're playing cards or drinking, but not much else. I purchased the smallest eating table I could find, 24"w, and it's tight for two people with 12" of space for each side.
You could retrofit a normal sized tabletop so that it sits on top of the smaller console when a table is needed. Personally, I have used bar stools, which are table height, for this purpose.
December 15, 2013 at 5:12PM   
okdokegal
How about two small console like tables, and a top that goes on them, spanning, like an oversized table leaf, for those times you want to feed others? That might be best of both worlds, then you could go to say 30" for meals and take it down other times. Store the top behind the couch or something like that.
December 15, 2013 at 5:59PM     
lrm1
Maybe you could find an antique on craigslist and paint it to match your decor, would something like this work?http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/fuo/4224082807.html
December 15, 2013 at 6:35PM   
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
Look into having the drop leaf table custom made to your specifications. Perhaps the craftsman that built those good looking benches could handle it or refer you to someone that could build it. Then you could specify all the details...an oval shaped top would be really nice and allow easier usage given the "L" shaped bench.
December 15, 2013 at 6:58PM   
bamemory
Okdoklegal, you are not understanding my thought. The console table, up against the wall, has a top of, say 16". There are two drop leafs. The kids come. We move the round-shaped ottoman in front of the bench and replace it with the console table, with the drop leafs up. Each drop leaf is 7" So you now have a table of 7, 7 (each leaf) and 16, so a 30" table. Then when you are done, you put the round-shaped ottoman back in front of the bench, and you move drop the leaves, and put the 16" console back. Does that make sense?
I have thought of the custom table. I also am looking on craigs list. It just seems like a piece of the puzzle is missing, but maybe not.
December 16, 2013 at 2:11AM   
hatetoshop
Why not buy a card table (are they still around?) that can be taken down and stored behind the sofa?
December 16, 2013 at 2:20AM     
brickln
The missing piece is the width of the table. I'm going to assume the 46 mentioned above is the distance from the doorway to the corner? Gate leg table would work.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/span-black-gateleg-dining-table/s662623?a=1552&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMqim8jjtbsCFWRk7AodiTMAKA

Hopefully you can find an antique one- they're more attractive.
December 16, 2013 at 2:30PM   
Pure Home
Hi there, we carry a couple of tables that would be perfect for what you are looking for! I am attaching images with links. Please ask any questions- I am happy to help!

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com

French Heritage Maison Felix Drop Sides Accent Table
Fine Furniture Design Silver Leaf Cocktail Table
December 16, 2013 at 3:28PM   
bamemory
yes, that is more what I am thinking. The wood one matches my décor, but the size is not exactly right, but yes, accent table drop leaf might be an idea! Thank you!
December 16, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Revere Pewter
Hi, I'm thinking of using Revere Pewter as an all-over...
Roof for southwest style home
We are doing some renos on the outside of our southwest...
need help for florring
Renovating my house. need advice for florring. i should...
Wine rack or wine fridge ?
Wine rack cabinet or wine fridge , redoing my kitchen...