Shared Water Closet

IanDecember 15, 2013
I'm planning a bedroom and bathroom reno in the new year. The problem I am having is that it's a small house, and there isn't currently a powder room. The powder room would have to be within the already small bedroom and master bathroom space.

I've come up with a couple ideas on layouts, and 1 of them is a shared water closet. What I'd like to know is if that's a absurd idea or not.

What I was thinking is have the powder room act as the master's water closet by having an additional door in the powder room (like a jack and Jill bathroom).

Thoughts? We are planning on selling in a year or two.

Ian
happyasaclam
Are you planning this reno for your own convenience or to increase the resale value? If you are planning to sell in a year or two, think carefully about whether you want to put money into your home that you may not recoup in the sale.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:43AM
Ian
It is mainly for resale. We bought the house as a fixer up er. The house is at least 70 years old.

Anything that we do would be an improvement. The previous owners pretty much threw a bathtub against the wall and hooked up hoses to it, and they used wall board that looks like tile on the walls.

We just want to modernize and make it as functional and as spacious as can. I just don't want potential buyers to come in and ask what we were thinking having a powder room that is also the master water closet.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 12:58PM
I think that is a good idea that will improve resale because it is also an upgrade to the master to have the toilet in a separate compartment. If you double the sinks by adding sinks in both places, then I think you have the trifecta. You can also camoflauge in plain sight the door to the rest of the master bath by hanging art on the connecting door - buying a different profile door - painting it an accent color - using a pocket door with a mirror on it, etc. I have also seen some shared baths where instead of separating the toilet and doubling up on the sink, they "hide" the tub or "camoflauge" the shower door. The thing that will save you the most money is to roughly keep the sewer plumbing layout the same - if you can do that and accomplish your goals - you've done well. Post a sketch of layouts and we'll give you more feedback.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 1:08PM
happyasaclam
I think libradesigneye is correct. Post pictures or a sketch if you can :)
    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 1:45PM
Ian
I did the space up in sketch up, which was 3D, so I quickly flattened it. Basically, I need a master bedroom (as big as possible) with a master bath and a powder room. Any suggestions are welcome.

Notes: Hopefully it makes sense. The door in the model (bottom left) is beside the front door, and the stairs there as well. So this door would ideally be the powder room door, and the wall at the bottom right of the sketch would be where the bedroom door would go. The North, East and West Walls are exterior walls.
    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 8:19PM
purehome
Can you show where plumbing, outlets, load bearing walls are? I can adjust your skp. file with inspiration- see our profile for examples!

Yours In Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 8:22PM
Ian
Right now the plumbing is towards the right side of the room. The previous owners did a horrible job. They have to toilet literally in the middle of the 9x12' space, 2-3' away from the wall. We would be redoing all the plumbing since we have access in the basement.
    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 8:29PM
Ian
These are a couple ideas I had. But not sure if the make sense since I'm not a designer. Sorry for the rough sketches!

The first is the idea for the shared water closet with the powder room. There would be a door on each side of the room.

The second idea is a separate powder room and master bath.

The biggest problem I have with the layout process is the windows. They are about 23" from the floor and we don't have the resources to move them.

Thanks for your help!
    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 8:33PM
purehome
Thanks! I will render up some options that will work for you- there is a lot of potential!

Andie P., ASID
Purehome.com
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 10:12PM
Ian
Awesome! Thank you so much!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 4:20AM
chookchook2
Extra toilet is a good idea.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 4:52AM
Ian
I agree. There is another toilet upstairs (another bathroom to renovate lol) and we are planning on putting a tub in that bath as well. The room up there is really small, so it's not master bedroom material. Thanks!
    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 5:59AM
purehome
From looking at your two ideas, I think the more effective approach both economically and spatially is the second one with separate water closets. Since you already have a half bath upstairs, this would make the most sense. I am rendering up a 3d model that will make it easier for you to visualize!

Yours in Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:27AM
Ian
Will the shared water closet hinder resale value?
    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 10:15AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Based on your original description that there is no powder room now, that your plan to use a shared water closet would improve resale value rather than hinder it.
    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 11:05AM
purehome
Hi Ian,

Here is what your space would be able to accommodate with two separate water closets. Initially, I thought sharing would work best, but after re-configuring your space, the second plan definitely worked best!

Yours in Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com
1 Like    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 12:39PM
Ian
I like it Andie! However, where you have placed the vanity is where there is a window... It's approximately in the space where the left sink is. That is what makes this design so difficult is those darn windows! They are about 23" from the floor, so not even able to put the vanity under it.
    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 2:49PM
DMH DESIGN
Nice ideas, PureHome. A couple of tweaks and it should work, Ian.
    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 3:18PM
purehome
I see now! You could do a single vanity instead to the right of the window, with a small window seat or storage. This would be perfect!

Hope this helps!

Andie
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 5:23PM
Ian
That's a good idea! Thanks Andie!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 6:59PM
Archi2000
Nice ideas
    Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 1:49PM
dclostboy
Depending on how much light you need you might be able to incorporate mirror into window, as I did here.
    Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 2:27PM
Ian
Wow, that's a really cool idea. Thanks!
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 3:53PM
Angel18432
I think it would be a great idea to have a toilet and sink that would act as a powder room and also used from the master bedroom. Don't see a negative for resale.

We once did a shower that had two doors. One from the main bathroom and one from the ensuite. In other words, a shared shower ! Didn't hinder the sale of the property.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 4:05PM
happyasaclam
I'm assuming Andie's idea is to do a single sink in the Master, and a sink in the powder room to the right of the window in the powder room with storage in the form of a window seat or other storage unit. I was a bit unclear about the single sink in master/sink to the right of window in powder room part. But I think I understand now. If my understanding of Andie's plan is correct, I think that is your solution! It is attractive and efficient use of space. And it looks like an efficient use of your financial resources as well with a great return on your investment. Post pictures when you get it done, please!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 4:31PM
Ian
Will do. We're hoping to tackle the reno very soon. Thanks for everyone's input! It's been very helpful
1 Like    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 6:26PM
living room seating issue
These are images of my living room. The last image...
Kelley Dockrey
Need help choosing an area rug for living room!
We recently moved in to the house. We painted the wall...
Natalia Chaparro
Need help interior designing my small apartment please!
This is the apartment I just bought. This room serves...
bo12341
round or rectangular dining table?
need to buy a new dining table. Our old one seated...
sherylshoham
Dining room
The trim in my house is oak - medium wood color. What...
fauschm