What to do with small foyer
mdjkeast
We have a small entry. There is no wall space as there are French doors to the left opening to dining room and entry to the right to the living room. The stairs are only just over 4 feet in front of the door so not a lot of room there either. I need ideas for shoes and boots and mats (it's a ceramic tile floor).
Is there room to make a space under the stairs? Actually open up the walls under the stairs:)
December 15, 2013 at 4:33pm     
mdjkeast
Hi Margo! Good idea but not in our case, under the stairs is the stairs going to the lower level.
December 15, 2013 at 4:35pm     
I guess it is back to the drawing board;)
December 15, 2013 at 4:36pm     
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I have a very small entryway too but I've used a fairly large 4' x 6' washable rug. Shoes end up tucked agains the walls. A small shelf could be mounted in the corner as a place to drop keys, and maybe a coat rack in the opposite corner? Or maybe, if your hallway is wide enough, you could have a console against the stair wall with a shoe rack under it? Or a shelf with some hooks to hang coats? Can you post some pics of the wall with the staircase? Sometimes I'm not sure what builders are thinking when they put in small entryways with door-openings and staircases all over the place.
December 15, 2013 at 4:40pm     
mdjkeast
Hi Lesley! Here are a couple more pics of the hallway ( it's not very wide 34 inches). There is a closet.. Wondering if I maybe can turn the closet into some funky storage space?
December 15, 2013 at 4:46pm     
Luminosus Designs LLC
I am wondering how deep is that closet? If it is shallow, hanging coats would be tough to begin with. In that case, I would remove the closet door, put in a bench which has storage below for shoes, install coat hooks for hanging coats. Voila, instant mudroom :)
December 15, 2013 at 5:04pm     
mdjkeast
The closet is two feet deep and three feet wide...would that work for that idea?
December 15, 2013 at 5:07pm     
abbyjean
Does Ikea have tall and narrow shoe storages? Ones that pull forward to put the shoes in?
December 15, 2013 at 5:08pm     
happyasaclam
Take the door off of the closet, repair or replace the door jam and put up some cute wallpaper or paint and put up some wall decals. I bet you could find some wallpaper with funky shoes on it or shoe decals. Maybe you could use a sports theme. I think you solved your own dilemma! :D
December 15, 2013 at 5:11pm     
Luminosus Designs LLC
Yes two fee deep is perfect. This will give you space to sit and have coats hanging on the back wall. Go for it!
December 15, 2013 at 5:21pm     
Cat Rowe
Shelf counter height on the wall with mirror above it. I would have my electrician move the switches to the little wall next to the door so you can have the space for the mirror. What is your lighting like? You may want to opt for a small lamp on the shelf for softer lighting. Then do a basket under the shelf for the boots
December 15, 2013 at 5:39pm     
chookchook2
Yes Ikea have shallow shoe storage. Bissa, Lustifik, Ikea PS2012 , Hemnes, for starters.
December 15, 2013 at 5:52pm   
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I used to have a Hemnes shoe cabinet; we just got rid of it. It was great for kids' shoes and sandals, not so good for hubby's shoes which are huge and heavy. After the insert on the the 2nd of the 3 compartments broke, I said it had to go. Maybe they've changed the inserts to be more durable than they were 7 years ago. Keep in mind that they're not practical for any wet or muddy shoes.

Holy cow @mdjkeast, I think we might have had the same builder! lol! My hallway is too narrow for anything also, and I love all the photos on here of beautiful big entryways with great wide hallways. Ah well, in my next life….
December 15, 2013 at 7:25pm     
Cat Rowe
Please feel free to look at my Idea book called Foyer.
December 15, 2013 at 7:29pm     
chookchook2
We dry wet and muddy shoes in front of the heater. We dry wet coats in the kitchen as it is a wet area. Dry shoes and coats then get put away at the front door closet and racks. My husbands steel cap work boots get kept under the couch on the porch. All his other shoes live in his closet when dry. I hate mould.
December 15, 2013 at 9:20pm     
maidstonekent
I have a pair of 'dirt trapper'/'hug rugs' (Uk) that I use by our back door, they are fantastic for our mucky shoes and paws. I think a slightly larger plain mat might make the space feel bigger. I also have a box for shoes but think the cupboard opened up into a boot room is a fabulous idea.
December 15, 2013 at 10:03pm     
mveasey
Could you place an armoire in the living or dining room, right adjacent to the entry walls for the for bulkier jackets, etc?
December 15, 2013 at 11:14pm   
hatetoshop
I had a similar entry in my last house, and it was always a pain in the winter. Try to find a narrow boot tray, and place it by/over the vent. My vent was always covered and it didn't seem to be problem. Or you could buy a plastic runner (the grey or clear kind) to cover a rug and the rest of the entry. Once the boots/shoes are dry, place them in your closet.
December 16, 2013 at 2:38am   
What do I do with that ledge in the foyer?
Help!! I am really struggling with what to do with...
Need Foyer Help. Renovating and don't know what to do
We decided to renovate our dark foyer and replace the...
What do you think about this tile in foyer and kitchen
Hi everyone. I am curious about your opinions on the...
What furniture/accessories do I need for my foyer?
These pieces are from my old house. We just moved and...
Best memory from your childhood bedroom?
I was just thinking about how much I loved the bedroom...
Does anyone actually sit and eat brekky together?
My family refuses to sit down and eat together each...
Need help in designing the rectangular arch!
Hi great designers! Please help with ideas! We have...
is it possible to have 2 bedrooms for a 30 sq meters condo?
Hi, do you think it is possible to have a 2 bedroom...