Spruce up external facade
Nardia Smith
We have just bought this house in Western Australia and need ideas to improve the street appeal. We will put a double garage on the front left (detached and open) but need to improve the facade. Any ideas?
swoosie188
Neighbors of ours extended their porch with decking and extended the roof line with lazer lite sheets. It is a huge improvement. You could wrap porch around the front of the house and put in some sort of barricade. They used wood and tempered steel. It would allow you to enjoy the front garden as well. Good luck:-)
December 16, 2013 at 2:02AM     
Nancy
Hi Nardia, how are you surviving the heat? I saw on the news that you are sending it my way (Sydney)! thanks for that! :) Anyway, back to your house. Do you mean that you will be adding on the garage to the side of the house where the driveway is or do you mean onto the left hand side of the house (where I think I can see a garden seat/bench)? Which direction does the house face?
December 16, 2013 at 2:13AM     
rinqreation
I like how it looks, just needs some gardening.
December 16, 2013 at 2:27AM     
Sharon
A timber deck that wraps right around the front of your house could be fab. With a roof over it. The present colours are too stark for my taste, I would prefer tone on tone. You could update the railing and consider making the front window larger. ( I would door sliding or bi-fold doors if a deck was there). Good luck.
December 16, 2013 at 3:46AM     
Nardia Smith
Fancie - the heat is awful! 5 days or so thus far. Today was a bit better. Feel for the Poms playing at the WACA!
Car port on driveway side, there is a big tree that would make it difficult on the other side.
I like all the deck ideas!
December 16, 2013 at 5:07AM     
Nardia Smith
Front of the house faces east.
December 16, 2013 at 5:08AM     
tanlew72
I agree that extending front porch and wrapping around front of house will add a lot of appeal. A new front jarrah wood door would brighten up space and bring colour in. Maybe jarrah decking too?
December 16, 2013 at 8:08AM     
Rina
May a Saffer intrude? Are you kidding? Your house is beautiful. Love love love. Two things bother me and one is probably nonsense anyway. One, the front door makes an odd upside-down L. Could you separate the vertical from the horizontal as I suggest below? The other is that the bit of wall in front of the porch looks white while the rest of the house isn't. I suspect that's just the vagaries of monitors and colour reproduction. Cherish what you have!

Good luck with the heat. 32 deg C here today, but I suspect that's chicken feed to you.
December 16, 2013 at 8:47AM     
Rina
If you absolutely must, trellises on both sides of the window on the right with roses.
December 16, 2013 at 8:49AM     
kaywestmaas
Your home is lovely. Since living in New Orleans, Louisiana, I've always wished for a Spanish inspired stucco house. Of course, so much of what you can do is dependant upon your budget. Given the addition of the garage, I'm guessing you're incurring some major costs. Your house is reminiscent of a "Spanish Colonial": stucco, clay tile roofing, red tile pavers, and black rod iron. After the construction is complete, my recommendations are: (1.) unify with a fresh coat of white paint; (2.) brighten the black rod-iron patio railings with Rustoleum spray paint; (3.) add green paint for trim; (4.) consider black rod-iron details on the front window, front door knob, and a hanging exterior porch light; (5.) re-do the front flower garden. Be sure to consult with an expert on your garage addition. Compliment the existing house (don't dominate it with the garage), and tie the exterior finishes so the structure is cohesive. (P.S. The birdbath is too small for where it is currently placed.) Most of all, express yourself in the design choices. It's your 'home sweet home'!
December 16, 2013 at 9:43AM     
Rina
Yes, yes! Make sure the garage is set back. Good point, Kaywestmaas. I cannot understand architects who have designed houses with the apparent intention of making everyone say, Wow! A garage! But I think the birdbath is just fine.
December 16, 2013 at 9:58AM     
kaywestmaas
Add some fun!
December 16, 2013 at 10:19AM     
Nardia Smith
Project all up is a big'un. Prob 150/200 aus$. We will extend and put on a new master and open plan kitchen living. The $ also include the carport (which council regs say has to be open) and landscaping. I like all the deck ideas on the front and may try to get builder to incorporate deck with / to the carport. Thanks everyone
December 16, 2013 at 8:03PM     
Nardia Smith
Has some lovely features but needs work!
December 16, 2013 at 8:07PM     
Pebble Stone Coatings
Another great option for your driveway and exterior surfaces is Pebble Stone Coatings. They are the number one installers for epoxy rock in Nevada, Texas, and California. By providing a natural pebble stone concrete overlay, they can transform your concrete surfaces into the custom designs that make your home unique. With a variety of colors and designs, there is something to fit every home. Visit there website at www.pebblestonecoatings.com for more information!
December 19, 2013 at 11:12AM   
Nancy
what a great house you have, Nadia! full of character and your ceilings are to die for!
December 20, 2013 at 11:56PM     
chookchook2
With your new extension can you enlarge your front window to the east, widthways. It will give you more sun on winter mornings, and you could use drapes in hot weather.
December 21, 2013 at 12:37AM     
chookchook2
We are in Victoria. 2 days of heat, not too bad down south.
December 21, 2013 at 12:38AM     
chookchook2
Pebble Stone Coatings, they are in Australia.
December 21, 2013 at 12:40AM   
Need help sprucing up facade!
What cladding and/or products have you used on this...
Spruceing Up A Flat Front Facade
I am looking for ideas to spruce up the facade of a...
not sure what to do to spruce up this facade here
need to balance the roofline better, add interest to...
A magical third element for an external facade..
I've been looking at this too long and could use some...
Need ideas how to landscape our front yard
My hubby and I just finished designing and building...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Need Help on Window Treatment Options
I would love some input on which window treatment style...
is this rug too busy?
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?...
Need ideas on best landscape and use of side yard
How do we make maximum use of this side yard to be...