Help please
tslusc
We have a combined living / dining area with creamy white walks, wooden floors and dark brown furniture - tv cabinet, dining table- which we never sit at, and a chocolate brown sofa. ( too much brown alone in the room) The room is a rectangle shape.Please help me with ideas to make over this space without spending a fortune. Eg- curtain ideas, colour/ decor/etc etc. arrangement of space. The front door us right in front of the end of the dining setting
Pure Home
You have the perfect neutral palette to work with! The first thing I would suggest is to lower the drapes so that they touch the floor. The color and style are perfect and transitional- so you could save money by keeping them. Where the sailboat painting is, I would suggest something of a slightly larger scale and vertically rectangular- this will make your space feel larger.

Since you are looking to brighten up the space and make it more welcoming, some beautiful patterned throw pillows would add interest. A smart looking lamp would be both functional and bring some contemporary style in, and a shaggy area rug will bring warmth as well as insulate acoustically.

I am attaching some ideas and suggestions- I hope these help!

Yours in Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
Purehome.com

Surya Red and Brown Floral Pattern Pillow
Surya Red Floral Pattern Pillow
Surya Venetian Red Scroll Pattern Pillow
Surya Maroon and Brown Large Interlocking Pillow
Surya Aros Cream Rectangle Area Rug
Zuo Modern Galactic Chrome Floor Lamp
Cyan Design Zenith Mirror
Pink Marmalade Fine House Wall Decor
0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 9:38AM
tslusc
Thankyou, i really appreciate the advice. The curtain colour is hard to see in the pic, but its actually a greyish colour. You don't think that clashes with all the brown? I have also attached some more pics of the dining and kitchen (lounge,kitchen,dining is all one open space- any other tips would be greatly appreciated :) the back of the sofa creates a barrier to seperate kitchen and lounge :)
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 3:08PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
You already have some blue in the space because of the windows. Keep going with it. Use the sailboat painting as a guide to help you choose some sunny colours. Splashes of yellow or cool blue will do wonders in your space.

The cover on the dinner table is far too dark. Try a "christmas red" out for size. This is the perfect time/excuse to add red to the room without having to live with it if you don't feel it is right. If you like it, keep it. If not, it gets packed up with the X-mas decorations and comes out once a year for a visit.

I really want to see some yellows and oranges in this room - and that from someone who hates yellow and orange.

JMHO. Have fun. And don't stress too much. Work with inexpensive fabrics to begin with. Once you are happy with a colour/look then you can go out and spend a bit more on a more substantial piece like a rug.
0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 3:38PM
Pure Home
The drapes definitely will not clash with the brown as long as you integrate some throw pillows or other decor that includes both colors to pull them together! Hope this helps!

Andie P.
Purehome.com
0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 3:53PM
pcmom1
If you don't sit at the dining table, maybe take some of the chairs away, take off the table cloth, push it against the wall and turn it into a desk area. Add a bright yellow lamp to it.

Can always transform it back when guests come over.

Great idea by PureHome to use the sailboat picture as your color inspiration.
Dining Chair 09018
Family Heritage in a Modern Home
0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 4:39PM
pcmom1
Your drapes look to be a few inches too short. Shop for some contrasting material to add a band to the bottom (sewing stores often have someone you can hire if you don't sew).

Maybe use this same material to create some roman shades for the kitchen and a throw pillow for the sofa.

1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 4:42PM
pcmom1

Dining Chair 09018
Family Heritage in a Modern Home
0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 4:44PM
pcmom1
Don't know why this posted twice!
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 4:45PM
Myrone Delacruz
Would it be possible (considering if there's enough room) to move the tv against the wall with your art and move the couch to face that wall. Then center the dining table possibly in the middle of the room behind the couch?
0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 5:11PM
tslusc
i will definately move the dinind table to use as a desk as we never sit on it, :) i will also try and move the lounge and tv to see how that goes. should i buy a plain rug or colour? any suggestions please cause i'm bad with colour choices :)
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 5:27PM
tslusc
When you say draw inspiration from the sail painting,can u please go into a little more detail for me eg- what colours where.. xo THANKS so much all you guys! :)
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 5:41PM
Myrone Delacruz
You can always move the table behind the couch and use it as a desk if you decide to move the sofa.
3 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 5:44PM
tslusc
coloured rug?
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 6:33PM
dealwitmschris
I would hang the tv on the wall. Get a rug move the couch in front of the TV and put the table behind the couch. Also kill the curtains. Add some color with the rug or curtains.
1 Like   Thanked by tslusc    December 16, 2013 at 6:40PM
tslusc
What colours do u think for rug and curtains
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 7:35PM
dealwitmschris
Green,ivory.gold and or orange are nice colors to blend with chocolate.
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 11:20PM
Myrone Delacruz
Rugs, you can't really go wrong with picking a rug...but seriously I personally would keep it a neutral maybe with a pattern, greys, taupe, whites....
1 Like   December 17, 2013 at 12:15AM
pcmom1
Sometimes if you don't know where to start colorwise, using a painting you are drawn to (the sail boat) can be your palette. So the dusty oranges, yellows, dark gray can be your palette. An area rug you like can do the same.

And if it is the idea of sailing, that can be something to repeat also thru the choice of materials: sail type cloth, a large glass float sitting on the desk, and so on.

Here is a photo of a home office with a glass float and "drift wood" floor lamp (click to enlarge):

0 Likes   Thanked by tslusc    December 17, 2013 at 9:54AM
HELP PLEASE.... floating shelves! please help!
I am trying to hang 2 shelves.... I can't figure out...
Please HELP!! Questions regarding a small 12x12 bedroom! Please HELP!!
So I'm currently re-doing/renovating my home however...
Please, please, please help me paint the exterior of this house.
The house is getting new windows stark white. The color...
Need help with lamp height for console table please please please!
I just purchased an antique Indonesian console table...
Need help for family room
We recently purchase a new home and need some suggestions...
Need major help with my living room.
My living room is just soooo blah. We just moved into...
I can't seem to commit to a dining room set please help
I feel like mama and the bears... this one is too soft,...
I want to put an office in this space
The width inside the nook is 79", the depth is 39",...
I need to update the exterior of my "orange" house
I just moved into this home and while I love, love,...