How to make a bed.
J Petempich
Does anyone make their bed like this anymore? I have allergies and don't like extra pillows and still make a bed like my Mom taught me 50 years ago. I am trying to sell a house and the bedrooms have photos of beds made like this. Should I make changes?
Pure Home
An easy fix: Place two regular sized pillows in pretty shams upright (at a slant towards the wall) over the tucked in pillows for modernity.

-Andie P., Purehome.com

December 16, 2013 at 3:55PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Denita
Yes, update your bedding style. I am a Realtor and when clients see the bed's made the "old fashioned way" they think the home needs more repair! Crazy, I know, but when I show properties you hear the strangest things from buyers. You will end up with a better price with a few modern touches. One of the key points is to make the bed very plush and inviting. Please verify with your Realtor because there are differences in different markets.

Here is an example of an updated style:

December 16, 2013 at 3:57PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Agree with the above. Or, just get pretty sheets/pillow cases and fold back with your bedspread (be sure the color/pattern is the right side when folding back). Then, just lay your bed pillows flat. Sample... You don't need the toss pillows.
MPD London
our house
December 16, 2013 at 4:00PM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
Thanks, then this does look old fashion to everyone. I guess I am the only person in the world still making a bed like this.
December 16, 2013 at 4:01PM     
J Petempich
My realtor should have told me instead of not putting the bedrooms on her site. I can take it.
December 16, 2013 at 4:03PM     
2dogssashatess
The bed is the focal point of the bedroom. it has to look great
December 16, 2013 at 4:03PM        Thanked by J Petempich
It won't be a deal breaker for a sale. :)
December 16, 2013 at 4:06PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Denita
Believe me, you aren't they only one that makes a bed that way. I make it that way too (and for about the same number of years :) ) But, when the house goes on the market, part of marketing is dressing your rooms, including the bedding, for impact. Marketing your home is totally different than how we live in our homes every day.

You have a lovely room. It should take you just a few minutes to change the bedding style so your Realtor can add the new photos to the virtual tours. ...
December 16, 2013 at 4:07PM        Thanked by J Petempich
peightell
I am old fashion too, but I added a second bed spread (same style, off set color) to give it a layer look. I do not do the tuck under the pillow and I have jazzy pillows - I love the look myself.
December 16, 2013 at 4:14PM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
I am such a utilitarian person and I don't like anything extra around that this didn't occur to me that this is really outdated for so many people. I will be going to the store soon for more pillows and some shams.
December 16, 2013 at 4:14PM     
unwantedadvice
You know when I looked at the picture of the room, I didn't even notice right away. Shows how much I notice things! I find it odd in today's real estate market that one has to put so much work into selling a home. I understand you would want the home neat and tidy but going to a lot of trouble and extra expense to possibly update certain things seems wasteful to me.

The items and furnishings in your home are yours, not the future owners, so I say make the bed the way you want! Btw, I am not a professional, just an amateur.
December 16, 2013 at 4:18PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Denita
Post the new room when you have it ready - we love to see the "after" photos too!
December 16, 2013 at 4:20PM        Thanked by J Petempich
cjohnston
An easy fix without adding more pillows is to purchase a patterned sheet set that complements the color scheme. Leave the pillows on top of the spread and fold back the top sheet and spread to show some of the top sheet. Like this, except ignore the extra pillows.

December 16, 2013 at 4:24PM        Thanked by J Petempich
rredpenn
Well I too like making beds that way. I actually searched and found new "old fashioned" ribbed cord bedspreads for our lake place. They are lightweight, easy wash and keep the pillows dust-free. They are charming to me. So, it doesn't bother me to see yours that way! :)

(This is from a lurker here on Houzz, def. not a pro, but I suppose I should find an avatar photo at some point.)
December 16, 2013 at 4:32PM        Thanked by J Petempich
tennisanyone
Darzy, is that your bedroom with the fan next to the bed?
December 16, 2013 at 4:33PM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
Pillow shams and new sheets are not expensive so I can manage that. Maybe in 20 years the styles will change again and I can do away with the extra pillows then. I will never understand curtains puddled on the floor though.
December 16, 2013 at 4:39PM     
rredpenn
For selling my daughter's condo, we "borrowed" a twin bed, and a comforter set complete with toss pillows from our house's guest room (ok, it was her OLD dorm set!) for the online photos. We staged her extra bedroom (which was empty) to look like a little girl's room. When she moved out, the bed and stuff came back here. What people will do to get good looking online photos!
December 16, 2013 at 4:48PM        Thanked by J Petempich
rredpenn
By the way, that was something this amateur picked up from reading Houzz discussions on staging a house for sale!
December 16, 2013 at 4:51PM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
Yes, a big part of my problem is that I really do hate stuffed animals, pillows, overstuffed chairs and soft slouchy couches and anything that is big and puffy. I like stone, ceramic, glass and things I can wash with a hose. That doesn't mean everyone likes what I do and when you are trying to sell something.......
December 16, 2013 at 5:17PM     
Denita
As a Realtor I wonder if the buyers are watching those shows and being 'trained' to be very picky!
December 16, 2013 at 5:24PM        Thanked by J Petempich
hayleydaniels
Just another thought. I think the reason a potential buyer would be put off seeing a bed made that way is because it would indicate that an older person lived there, and they would assume the house needed repairs and updating. It's stupid and unfair, but that's life.

And just so you know, I learned to make my bed that way over 50 years ago as well. I don't do it now--just pull the quilt up, but I remember how to do it like it was yesterday.
December 16, 2013 at 5:25PM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
I have to say, they don't even make the bedspreads long enough to make the bed like this anymore. I have a little spot near the top of the pillows that I have a hard time with. I now am going to change my ways. I live where it is very humid climate but I am going to bring in some of these mildew magnets (extra pillows) for the sake of good design. I don't like people thinking I am outdated.
December 16, 2013 at 5:43PM     
@tennisanyone..No, that is not my bedroom (it's the designer's note "our house"). But, sometimes at night a fan would be great when my inner child starts playing with matches. :)
December 16, 2013 at 5:52PM     
J Petempich
When the styles change to only two pillows you can remember this conversation and think of me.
December 16, 2013 at 5:54PM     
allofitsjunk
This is how I, too, was taught to make a bed. Pj's under the pillow and sheets folded in hospital corners. It was so simple back then!
December 16, 2013 at 5:57PM        Thanked by J Petempich
tennisanyone
Darzy, I know what you mean.
December 16, 2013 at 6:40PM     
mfwolfe
Good grief! Talk about angels on the head of a pin.
December 16, 2013 at 8:47PM   
momof5x
Some members of our families have allergies too including me, we use Hypoallergenic Pillows, mattress protectors ( which annoy me actually as they are always moving out of place!), cotton sheets and covers or and the like. It is better if your bed is away from a window but if not, keep curtains dust free by hoovering as much as possible or even better use blinds as you can wipe them down.

Regarding making of bed if it looks nice -even better if bed is made- all is well. I do my beds several ways depending on bed design. Some I tuck in, some hotel type way, and some completely different, I triple fold the duvet or blanket and leave at end of bed, curtains open so light or fresh air can come through to keep bed sheeting aired.
December 16, 2013 at 9:07PM      Thanked by J Petempich
unwantedadvice
@mfwolfe, if you think we are just wasting time talking about something irrelevant, then I wonder why you bothered to post a comment at all.
December 16, 2013 at 9:37PM        Thanked by J Petempich
peightell
Peer Pressure ,,, just made my bed the new way :) lets see how it goes.
December 17, 2013 at 3:52AM        Thanked by J Petempich
saratogaswizzlestick
It is amazing how impact full little things like this can be. To younger buyers the room will feel outdated and be a turn off. Your realtor should give you pointers on how to stage your home but many worry about offending the homeowner. When I put my first house up for sale the realtor did not make any suggestions. I then asked her for suggestions and told her to not worry about my feelings that I wanted to market my product ... The house. She then made several suggestions and they really made a difference. You are smart Jpetempich to notice this detail. Silly for pillows to make a difference in a nice room with built ins, nice windows and good size but buyers are every bit as catty and distracted as you see on those home shows. I was a realtor and the comments were beyond silly, especially with younger, inexperienced buyers.
December 17, 2013 at 5:33AM        Thanked by J Petempich
apple_pie_order
I like the old fashioned bedspreads. They are easy to wash and not fussy. But for selling, I would go ahead and spend $60-$100 per bed on a comforter and two shams. Add a bedskirt (dust ruffle) if the bedframe is metal instead of wood. Good deals for "bed in a bag" or sets can be found at Target, JC Penney or any large department store. You want to convey luxury and comfort. By the way, adding new fluffy towels in the bathrooms will help, too. White or off white.
December 17, 2013 at 6:43AM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
Thanks everyone, I am going to be redoing things after Christmas when I have more time to shop for things. I will post photos when I get the rooms changed out.
December 17, 2013 at 7:21AM     
saratogaswizzlestick
I think it will be easy. You have most people beat because you won't have to tackle clutter. For curtains I believe puddling is on its way out.
December 17, 2013 at 7:33AM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
I know the green pillows don't match and I still can't believe I bought them but I am going to go to a fabric store and buy some fabric to cover them. Part of the trouble is that I am in Mexico and I don't like the sheets and they are expensive but fabric is cheap so I will be covering the pillows. My question is can I use these coverlets and tuck them in. I hate to buy really warm bedding just to have it look good but I will do it if you think I should. Also do I cover the wood on the bed with a dust ruffle.
December 17, 2013 at 6:14PM     
okdokegal
Just to tell you I still make beds like that.

Only change is that there are a couple of extra pillows floating around as hubby and I are both nesters and I need pillows for my feet, and he needs a couple extra too. To make the bed up with linen, blankets and such, how you showed it was fine; and sitting on the bench beside the bed (next to his docking station for his electronics) is a couple more pillows in cases that don't match anything but are the collection needed.

What you did in the last picture there, looks a lot more modern-staged...
December 17, 2013 at 6:21PM        Thanked by J Petempich
apple_pie_order
I think the bed looks great now that the coverlet is tucked in. The sheets are okay. Two throw pillows would be enough.
December 17, 2013 at 6:51PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Denita
I don't think you need a dust ruffle at all. You have a great wood framed bed, not the metal frame. The bed looks good. Agree with Apple pie that two throw pillows is enough
December 17, 2013 at 6:54PM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
Two are enough so I should get rid of the little square pillows or are those the throw pillows you are talking about being enough? I can cover them with something else or get something smaller. As you can see I am new at this pillow thing. I am happy I don't have to get a new spread or a dust ruffle and I really like the clean look of nothing near the floor.
December 17, 2013 at 7:05PM     
J Petempich
Like that fabric. Maybe I will find a print I like. Thanks everyone.
December 17, 2013 at 7:08PM   
mfwolfe
unwantedadvice took exception to my comment that this was an irrelevant discussion. I was making a joke, but I should have known that jokes don't come across in text. So I will elaborate.

How to make a bed to sell a house is irrelevant because the whole idea of staging houses to sell is a commercial construct created by tv shows and the businesses that sell their ability to......make a bed that will sell your house!

I've been posting on social forums for a long time, and the one thing I have learned, beyond how to make a bed, is that many times people are passing themselves off as something they are not. They are professing a knowledge that they do not have. This is the human condition and I do not consider it a big deal. But, I do not take the advice of complete strangers on how to make a bed.
December 17, 2013 at 8:14PM     
zmhome
The cover looks great tucked in. Ditched the extra two angled pillows though.
December 17, 2013 at 9:50PM        Thanked by J Petempich
chaefender
I agree with darzy. That's how I make my bed. Makes the bed look cozy and ready to jump into. I would also maybe grab a blanket that has the same color as something else in the room and fold it and put it on the end of the bed. And also bring the curtains up a bit to make the room look larger :)
December 17, 2013 at 10:38PM     
maidstonekent
I make our beds in a similar way to Darzy - I fold back the duvet so it is doubled at the bottom of the bed. I do this because people sweat as we sleep and it lets the bed air x
December 18, 2013 at 12:15AM   
J Petempich
@mfwolfe I am on the older side, 60 and I am for real. I am not stupid for asking people especially realtors and others. A bed made up to look like a bed from summer camp/ sleeping on a pallet and yet having fancy pillows at the head is not as obvious to me as the rest of the world that this is something that looks right. I agree, that young people pick out houses for superficial reasons, pay too much, are surprised at repairs that would have been obvious to others, make expensive changes and then wonder why they can't get their money out of their house after only five years. But that is reality and until they start caring more about the roof than the color of the walls it will be me that is changing and not them.
December 18, 2013 at 4:30AM     
Denita
Well said J Petempich!
December 18, 2013 at 4:43AM        Thanked by J Petempich
Marc Russell Interiors
After flipping several houses, all sold furnished, it's amazing what people are attracted to. What's even more amazing is the amount they are willing to pay for it. The bedroom looks greatly updated. The hospital corners (that's what they are called) look great. Good luck!
December 18, 2013 at 6:43AM        Thanked by J Petempich
J, like your new coverlet with the gray sheets. I think if you copy the second picture of pillows which Darzy posted with just bed pillows covered in regular pillow cases, that would be enough. Your headboard is cute. Would it be a pain to raise it up on the wall a few inches, so that you could see the pattern?

No one mentioned, (and you didn’t ask) about the windows. I think they add some style to the room and I would rather see them with no curtains or rods.

December 18, 2013 at 6:55AM      Thanked by J Petempich
saratogaswizzlestick
I like the bed made this way. I definitely would not buy a dust ruffle as your bed is quite nice and This look is more streamlined and modern. The pillows still seem off to me. I would remove the two angled pillows and post photo with just the green showing. You seem very savvy about buyers and I think making the little tweaks needed will definitely help you show your house to its best advantage.
December 18, 2013 at 7:10AM      Thanked by J Petempich
saratogaswizzlestick
Excellent point about curtains iamjudy. If you don't need the curtains for privacy I would remove the curtains and rods, especially since your window shape is a nice feature to show off. I also think bed pillows as justjudy and Darzy suggested could be the finishing touch.
December 18, 2013 at 7:19AM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
Here is photo with just pillows flat and I will buy some white pillow cases when I get to town. Maybe I should use shorter pillows. Laying the pillows flat made the head board more visible but I can raise the head board if needed. The curtains are kind of cheap and I really should get something else that is lighter but I need them because neighbors are close and shades don't work very well on this salty beach. I have a blue bedroom that I am going to making the same changes as this green room.
December 18, 2013 at 7:59AM     
Kristen Costello
I prefer simple and easy, just the way you made it!
December 18, 2013 at 8:57AM        Thanked by J Petempich
J Petempich
....and here is my blue room. As you can see I am doing a better job with this and it will even be better with the white pillowcases. I am happy you solved this without me buying 4 or 5 pillows for each bed. Thank you all and I will let you all get back to chasing more major problems like someone who is about to rip out a wall or tear out their ceiling.
December 18, 2013 at 9:16AM     
Looks great @Marc Russell Interiors. I'm sure part of the reason you were amazed what the buyers loved and willing to pay for (furniture, etc) is because you made it look amazing! Great staging pays off!
December 18, 2013 at 10:13AM     
J Petempich
I agree Darzy, I was just kidding about my topic of being important because of mfwolfe belittling it. I agree great staging does pays off. Thank you, Pros, Realtors and everyone else who commented on it.
December 18, 2013 at 10:50AM     
happyasaclam
J, it took me years to understand that comforters were not meant to be folded under pillows. I was brought up making beds the way you were too. And we were sent back to fix it when the pillows were crooked or that crease wasn't just right! LOL! My husband still doesn't get it :D
December 18, 2013 at 2:42PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Another Thyme
I think beds full of pillows as done in modern homes are just waaaaay too much work! Our home is for sale and I can tell you I am sick to death of taking all those pillows off the bed every night, hauling them down the hall to toss on the sofa (because where else can you put them if they aren't on the bed for goodness sake!) and then making the bed again in the morning. I am definitely looking for a real bedspread that can pull over the two pillows we use at night. ...think about it, this is one more bit of mess, work and stress that busy mom's just don't need!
December 18, 2013 at 2:51PM        Thanked by J Petempich
happyasaclam
You are so right, thymeless1 :))
December 18, 2013 at 2:59PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Yes, staging really does pay off. Statistically, staged home net more cash. Realtors have been "accused" of selling their clients home for less for a quicker sale because realtor's property statistically sold for more than their neighbors. I think it's because they know the value of staging. Staging doesn't have to mean huge changes though. Such as your bedding. The bedroom looks newer by simply changing the way you made the bed! Looks great! (I used to sell and stage homes).
December 18, 2013 at 3:00PM        Thanked by J Petempich
PS I like your headboards very much!
December 18, 2013 at 3:03PM        Thanked by J Petempich
Another Thyme
Our home "shows well" but I recently changed the main decor from upscale condo to rustic country. In our area people coming out to look at a home on acreage don't seem to want a real modern look. I can live with this until we move. Its cozy and comfy and works well with the open beams here.
December 18, 2013 at 3:09PM        Thanked by J Petempich
happyasaclam
That's something I noticed too, Darz, this summer when we were looking at homes. We have buyer's agents here in Texas, so I felt comfortable talking frankly with our agent. We looked at a dozen homes. I saw so many things that homeowners could have done to "spruce" up their homes without spending any money. Pull the weeds out from between the bricks on the patio, putting kitchen clutter away so it woudn't look like a tiny kitchen. Buying a few colorful throw pillows at Walmart to spread around on the beds and sofas, for goodness sake! Our agent pointed a lot of the things out to us, bless her heart! The seller's agent was one of the most experienced and highest $$ selling agent in town. I really think he did the sellers a disservice. We got our house at a great price. I quit selling real estate about the time buyer's agents were just starting to be discussed. My kids hated daycare.......
December 18, 2013 at 3:18PM        Thanked by J Petempich
chookchook2
The trend for less pillows is coming in.
December 18, 2013 at 5:11PM        Thanked by J Petempich
December 18, 2013 at 5:15PM        Thanked by J Petempich
chookchook2
That article was 2011 so is well in now!
December 18, 2013 at 5:16PM      Thanked by J Petempich
December 18, 2013 at 5:20PM      Thanked by J Petempich
chookchook2
:)
December 21, 2013 at 3:32AM   
saratogaswizzlestick
Both your bedrooms look great. I think your pillows are fine as is. I also would not get new drapes as drapes are needed. I thought it might be a case where the drapes are decorative. Both rooms should show well to buyers. You have a clean, simple style which shows your rooms to their best advantage. I also like the colors you have chosen in both rooms. This is the best kind of staging, where you did not need to spend a cent.
December 21, 2013 at 5:55AM        Thanked by J Petempich
rredpenn
Agreed! The rooms look nice, clean, well-appointed, yet without too much personal baggage. The point is to get the buyers to imagine themselves there... You've done great! Good luck selling!
December 21, 2013 at 6:56AM        Thanked by J Petempich
Snaggy
What is it with all the pillows and cushions on the beds .....they would drive me mad and you have to take them all off at night !!
December 21, 2013 at 8:38AM        Thanked by J Petempich
The bed is fine. Buyers are looking at size of rooms and how well kept is home. So all clutter and personal pic should be removed.
December 21, 2013 at 5:42PM        Thanked by J Petempich
auntiebuzzybee
Good luck, J. We're in your corner. (It looks CLEAN, streamlined and cool in a hot climate. It would seem out of sorts to be all heavy with layers and all that STUFF in a sub tropic climate, IMHO.) You get my vote!
December 21, 2013 at 6:38PM        Thanked by J Petempich
fabric and color selection for 2 chairs
I have 2 mid century modern chairs Tono Duoteack chairs...
New small flat - floors
Hi Houzzers!!! I'm thinking about the floors of my...
Different sofa and love seat
I have to use a green/brown traditional love seat and...
HOW TO FINISH MY KITCHEN WINDOW - WOOD OR TILE
Not sure that I put my advice question in the right...
Any guesses as to what colour this is?
I love the colour of the walls in this West Elm bedroom...