Need help with light over dining table
jaxi123
Doug Lewis Remodeling
You have endless options for lighting over your dining room table. What should really help determine your choice us what vision you have for the space. Will it be formal? Casual? Does it connect to other rooms? If so, stylistically you want to make sure that the design you choose relates to the design of the other rooms. Do you want something timeless? Trendy? Colorful? I think a good classic choice is a basic drum - it is neutral and timeless.
December 18, 2013 at 5:41am   
saratogaswizzlestick
I like the drum that Doug Lewis shows. I think you can do better than the chandelier you have a link to, it looks dated.
December 18, 2013 at 5:46am     
the essentials inside
Doug brings up great points to ponder. I agree w/saratogaswizzlestick - you can do better than the one you linked to.

If you could post some more views of the space and let Houzzers know your budget range, I'm sure there will be lots of great suggestions.

~Lyvonne
December 18, 2013 at 4:42pm     
bungalowmo
What is the style of your home...or at least this room?

A chandelier is fine in the right setting. My place came with this one in the dining room...but it's also original to the house, from 1916. Fits the style, but would probably not work in a modern home, or a mid century style.

Certain things...just because someone likes it...doesn't necessarily work in others design scheme.
December 18, 2013 at 4:55pm   
jaxi123
I have a small condo and the living room and kitchen/dining area are all in 1 room separated by a bar. The walls are all white and cabinets are white. I am in the process of updating this 15yr old condo. As you can see the original pendant light over the dining table is way outdated. So want to find something that will look good there for a long time to come. I would stay my style is traditional. I love the beach so I would like to make it feel a bit beachy. I have a blue wave rug in the living room that has 4 shades of blue in it and a few streaks of cream. I am looking for a blue sofa for the living room. I will have a cream small recliner. The dining table is an inherited cherry dining table and hutch.
December 19, 2013 at 2:33am   
bungalowmo
Are you in the US?
December 22, 2013 at 12:03pm   
bungalowmo
This is on ebay from china. Just using as example. Is something like this in the design you're looking for?
December 22, 2013 at 12:05pm     
December 22, 2013 at 12:30pm   
sunnydrew
can you put your china cabinet flat on a wall to make more space. It looks crowded in the corner.
December 22, 2013 at 12:43pm   
bungalowmo
Her china cabinet looks to be one of those corner built ones. The backs aren't flat...they point, so as to fit into a 90 degree corner.
December 22, 2013 at 12:48pm   
jaxi123
I still don't care for any of these lights. Yes the china cabinet is a piece of furniture that is not built in. The corner it is in is only a half corner and that was the only place to put it. Yes it has a pointed back so does not set flush to a wall.
My style is traditional, nice, but not fancy. I am keeping the walls white and cabinets white as I want a beachy feeling since I love the beach. No I do not live close to the beach.
Still looking for granite as well.
December 22, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Need help picking out new light fixture for over the dining table
I am looking for a brushed nickel fixture to replace...
Need help with lighting over the dining room table.
We are adding kashmir white granite countertops and...
Need help with light over dining room table
I am doing some updating in our open kitchen/dining/living...
help with lighting over multi-use dining table
We are starting a kitchen remodel in our small condo....
NEED HELP WITH THE LIGHTNING OVER MY DINING TABLE
MY DINING TABLE IS RUSTIC DESIGN WITH PAOLA NAVONE...
Need help in choosing paint colors for waterfront ranch brick home
This is a 40 yr. old house on the sound. Need to make...
Help with living room area
Fireplace is in the middle at an angle, any suggestion...
please help to choose granite countertops for oak cabinets
We are thinking to put on emerald pearl granite vs...
Would a tech-free day work in your home?
Imagine that you woke up one day and there were on...