I need ideas for small changes to update my family room
sruggi
Most of the furniture must stay. I want to replace the large chair and ottoman and I'm open to changing the rug. I would prefer a small swivel chair (one or two?), but I am open to ideas. I don't love the sofa but it is in excellent condition and wears like iron.

The room is open to the kitchen and I will be changing the counters and backsplash in the spring. My plan is to look for granite with the tones of the limestone in the coffee table.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Two small swivels would be my choice but space is tight.
December 19, 2013 at 9:43AM     
sruggi
@decoenthusiaste, I found the attached chair but I think only one will fit. What do you think of using one with a small ottoman? If so, what fabric/color (available in leather and many fabrics)?
December 19, 2013 at 10:08AM     
calmsea
Two small scale chairs (swivel tub chairs?) may fit but the table may be better turned 90 degrees. The current chair and ottoman can go in the study, library, man cave, reading room, knitting room, sewing room, Craig's list, e-bay etc.
December 19, 2013 at 4:53PM   
Maybe a blue-green fabric to match the blue piece on your coffee table. You already have leather. See if you can get additional fabric made into a couple of pillows for the sofa.
December 19, 2013 at 5:45PM     
Another Thyme
There is a lot to be said for "bought and paid for" and wears like iron is so worth keeping. The chair you like in a co-ordinating colour could possibly be picked up in the kitchen tying it all together.
December 19, 2013 at 9:14PM   
These club swivels look comfy and come in fabric selections. The second photo is no swivel but I like it for your space. Darn cute.
Gust of Sun Winery
Glover Chair
December 19, 2013 at 9:17PM     
hdzigns
I would change the cushions on the sofa to pick out the shade of the piece on the coffee table, introduce a rounded comfy seat in a similar shade, take away the coffee table and replace with a glass table with rounded edge to give appearance of more room, and introduce a rug with a nice bold pattern with black, cream, and duck egg blue.
July 5, 2014 at 7:31AM   
Harpspiel
I think the rug size is making the space feel cramped - in this case I would go for a larger rug that fits both front and back legs of the couch and whatever chair you choose.
July 5, 2014 at 8:02AM   
black_raven
Because of the small space, I would use less bulky furniture (wicker with bright cushions?) and a glass coffee table.
July 5, 2014 at 11:31AM   
erinsean
Assuming the TV is in the cabinet....would it be too close if you put your sofa facing the cabinet? You would have to leave room for your kitchen stools. If there is room, than too smaller swivel chairs facing each other (glass coffee table would be better) on either end of the coffee table turned the long way with the sofa.
July 5, 2014 at 11:40AM   
bgfuqua
older post
July 6, 2014 at 1:17AM   
Updating my family room, need ideas
We decided to update our small family room which is...
I need to update my laundry room, kitchen and family room
Money has been really tight with 4 kids since we bought...
I need ideas or suggestions for a family room update
I have a family room that is 14 feet x 26 feet. It...
Help me finish our bedroom
I need help finishing our bedroom. I want the colors...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready...
Need help with kitchen & dining room paint color
Hello, we've just purchased a house that we love but...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...