How to transition between parquet and laminate?
sh33p
December 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi to all the creative/designer minds,

(unfortunately I'm not one of you)

I would like to keep my old parquet wooden floors in my hallway (and passage, and bedrooms), but I also want to open-space the hallway, kitchen, dining-room & lounge.

The kitchen and lounge and dining-room will all need new flooring and surround the hall and passage.

Do you have any recommendations for how to transition between parquet (small wooden blocks, grain switching every 10cm or so) and laminate?

I was thinking of doing a bit of a herringbone effect in the laminate just before the edge of the parquet... but I'm not sure how that would look.

Has anyone done similar? Any suggestions? Any images you could share to aid in my decision?

Many, many-many-many thanks if you do!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marilyn Wilkie
Hi, I'm not a "creative/designer mind" person but if I were going to do this I would definitely keep it simple. No herringbone. Just make sure the laminate you select is harmonious with the parquet....color-wise.
December 19, 2013 at 8:58AM        Thanked by sh33p
PRO
JudyG Designs
Marilyn is right on. Here is a great picture to show you that concept. Choosing the darker tone in the parquet seems to be how this designer chose the abutting floor color. I think it looks fine, particularly because the new flooring was used as the threshold.

December 19, 2013 at 9:00AM      Thanked by sh33p
sh33p
Thanks!

In that picture there is definitely harmony, although I'm a bit worried as my parquet is a very rich red-brown colour, and I don't want that throughout the area as that will make the whole house quite gloomy I think.

So my hall will end up being a red-brown path between a lighter, possibly light-oak coloured (or just a tad darker than) large lounge-dining area and a much lighter country-styled kitchen area.

Although the kitchen will have red accents in the appliances and cabinetry and the lounge will have dark furniture (dark brown stone fireplace, teak coffee-table, rich dark-brown-almost-ox-blood couch).
December 19, 2013 at 9:14AM