Is this possible? Installing laminate with different locking mechanism
VipDecember 19, 2013
I'd installed Armstrong Grand Illusions Cherry Bronze flooring in my kitchen some three years ago, but am having to replace portions of it due to damage and have picked up some replacement panels from a local store. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has changed the locking mechanism ever so slightly, where the old and new material do not latch together perfectly. When attached, there is a slight height difference between the two panels that is easily noticeable.

Since the new materal would go right in the middle of the room, I don't have the option to put in a T-mold etc. I have already called around 15 some places around the country but the Y3021-121 material (old style) is no longer available.

Is it even possible to do the install with the difference in latching mechanism? Are there any changes I can make to the edges like sanding down some portion of it or chopping off portions of it completely that would allow it to install correctly?

I've attached images of what the old (darker panel) and new (lighter panel) look like at the edges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Valley Floors
Unfortunately, you'll do more harm than good trying to make the two floors lock together. You're likely to damage the locking mechanism during installation, which will cause floor failure.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:38AM
Carpet One Floor and Home
Get a good installer who knows what he's doing. He should be able to sand/cut the tongues as needed, but the floor may need to be glued down to secure it properly.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:55AM
Vip
I'm going to talk to a couple of local contractors to see if they can handle this. Truly appreciate the feedback!
    Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 2:20PM
halfpint2
Check Amazon.com under Armstrong Cherry Bronze Grand Illusion L3021, it might be the same flooring.
    Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 2:58PM
Vip
@Halfpint2 - Thanks for the tip. I checked Amazon and it's the new one (Y3012-12D) instead of the old one that has Y3012-121 as the model number. I had called Hurst Hardwoods, who is listed as the seller for this on Amazon, and they said they only had the new material in stock.

Per recommendation from @carpetone I did talk with a couple of local installers but they didn't seem too confident about being able to make it work. Given that I've not had much luck finding the old material, I'm now starting to look at tile as a possible replacement for the affected area.
    Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 8:30PM
MHA Home Services
40 years of floor installing tells me to tell you to just replace the floor. I have always tried to dissuade clients from using this type of laminate anywhere close to water. Tile you kitchen by using a good qualified installer.
Best of luck on you project
1 Like    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 5:15PM
Ed
Hi Vip, sorry to hear that. Was it water damage, or another kind of damage (heavy object dropped on it? Or fire?) I'd listen to an experienced pro like MHA. Good luck.
    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 5:49PM
TMK Remodeling
Replace the floor with the new product. Or consider something less resistant to change like strip hardwood which had been the same thickness for last 70 years.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 7:31PM
Vip
@Ed Yep, water damage. Have picked up sample tiles from Lowes and speaking with installers regarding quotes. Will see how it works out.

Thanks all for the responses. They've been really helpful in coming to a decision on how best to perform the repair
    Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 4:01PM
need suggestion on laminate flooring
Our house (2005) has mostly hardwood and tile floors,...
Meredith Harp
Updating Laminate Cabinets
Hi Everyone: I am needing some help with my future...
athena2786
Who do you make the fabric with laminated glass?
This is a wonderful idea! Can the fabric be changed...
janetslau
Vinyl Flooring vs. Laminate
Hello All, My wife and I just had a carpet guy come...
Jim Bellon
Hard wood or laminent, that is the question.
We are considering adding real hard wood floors to...
Viki Paulsen-Moody
Need ideas for such small windows
We are about to start furnishing our new town house,...
Patrick Chen
kitchen cabinets
How do I give my kitchen cabinets height?
Kameela Jackson
Where do I buy the "bubble glass handle you show in your shopping sect
I found it two places in your shopping section. l...
janohlssen
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Which rug?
Which blue rug should I keep for the family room? I'm...
eyereezy