Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vipsoni

Is this possible? Installing laminate with different locking mechanism

Vip
10 years ago
I'd installed Armstrong Grand Illusions Cherry Bronze flooring in my kitchen some three years ago, but am having to replace portions of it due to damage and have picked up some replacement panels from a local store. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has changed the locking mechanism ever so slightly, where the old and new material do not latch together perfectly. When attached, there is a slight height difference between the two panels that is easily noticeable.

Since the new materal would go right in the middle of the room, I don't have the option to put in a T-mold etc. I have already called around 15 some places around the country but the Y3021-121 material (old style) is no longer available.

Is it even possible to do the install with the difference in latching mechanism? Are there any changes I can make to the edges like sanding down some portion of it or chopping off portions of it completely that would allow it to install correctly?

I've attached images of what the old (darker panel) and new (lighter panel) look like at the edges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (9)