How many times did you visit your current home before you chose it?
Did you go back and visit the house several times to make up your mind about it or was it love at first sight? What was the process like to decide this was the home for you?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Sigrid
I went once, my husband went back at least one more time, but I have to say, he'd made up his mind after seeing it on the internet, months before we actually we on the same continent as the house.

I'm a waffler, I wasn't sure we should make up our minds so quickly, but I love the house, so it was the right choice. My dream is to actually live there full time.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 11:57AM
tanian
Waiting outside of our house for the real estate agent to arrive I peered in the door sidelights and said to my husband 'oh no, I think I love this house'. I could see the floating staircase, the clean lines, the interior stone and brick walls and the beamed ceilings, all the features of mid century homes that I love. We did go back once more after we saw it with some contractor friends to give us their opinion, but we were sold before we even walked into the house!
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 12:02PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
I visited (my first and former home) 3 different times before I purchased. Each time was at a different time in the day. The last visit was 7pm in the dead of winter. The fact that the traffic was blaring 2 blocks away yet none of the sound made it into the living space made up my mind.

I was able to spot many "imperfections" each time I went through, I was able to knock off several thousands - simply because I was able to see past the first impression.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 12:48PM
studio10001
Love at first sight. I was like a dog w a bone: 3 real estate agents, two failed bids, 1 failed sale and 3 months in repairs before a deal was signed. It will be as difficult to get me out.:)
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 1:07PM
millielove
We began renting, but when we first visited we fell in love. We were able to test it out (rent it) for about 9 months, at which point the owners needed to sell. We were happy to take it off their hands! No moving and we already knew we loved living there. Four years later we're finally getting around to permanently decorating it. Took us some time to find our style, and we had some babies mixed in there, too :)
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 1:36PM
coconuts1234
Desperation was the deciding factor. Our house sold quickly, we cancelled the contract on the first house we were to buy after a disastrous home inspection and rates were climbing!

I *almost* like the house now, we moved in 5 months ago today. :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 3:42PM
allofitsjunk
We looked at it once and fell deliriously in love with the view (the house - not so much). But it was way, way, WAY over our budget so we sadly accepted the fact that we couldn't afford it and moved on. However, I couldn't get it out of my mind and kept following it online until one day about 8 months later...the price was dropped by 36% and suddenly we COULD afford it!!! We looked at it again that very day and made an offer that night. Now we get to look at this view every day!!! It's been almost 2 years and we still marvel over our good fortune.
48 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 3:54PM
Zero. I bought it sight unseen over the internet.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:19PM
tsudhonimh
Once ...
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:30PM
noelinaz
@thedoublevs, Your view is beautiful. What state? And is that a parti-poodle I see in the field?
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:34PM
When I moved across the country to NYC, I picked out a few apartments on the internet, but when I got into town, I had an agent show me several others instead. We only visited the one we bought for a few minutes before making an offer that was accepted before we left town 2 days later. When I got home, I discovered it had been one of the few places I'd saved when searching on my own. Complete coincidence.
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 5:39PM
dclostboy
An open house by chance...one more look through, and then an offer
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:39PM
shakerjaebs
Three times! (But I saw another one about 5 times! I felt so bad that we didn't buy that one. I even had the hvac guys meet me there once. I loved it so much but it just wasn't quite right.) Very happy with the one we chose.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:49PM
shakerjaebs
These beautiful 87-year-old bookcases were hidden behind yellow taffeta curtains. (I posted the picture of the bookcases about 9 comments down. Couldn't get my phone to post pics last night!)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:53PM
chookchook2
Not at all, bought long distance. Had building and pest inspections done though.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 5:58PM
edithsmom
Sigrid and millie, our experience was similar. When we put our Philadelphia apartment up for sale, I had my heart set on a small cottage on Cape Cod, where we planned to move. However, my husband was frequently on line and found a condo apartment in a well-built building one block from Main Street. He was determined to buy it, after much research. When we visited (before our apt. was sold), we ended up renting it for three months and then buying the apartment on Cape Cod. We both love it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 6:47PM
grobby
Looked once and knew I would buy it. Even the selling agent said he knew I was his buyer. Had to convince hubby. This is an old house with lots of ferns, ivy, etc. Husband felt we were moving to a "jungle." My agent discouraged me from buying. He had been to our lake home, 2 hours from our hometown, and he didn't think we would be happy in a small home. And our grown son didn't think so much of it either. I just wanted a little place to hang out so I could be closer to the grand kids. Five years later, the grand kids are growing up and we're getting the moving fever, but I wouldn't trade those years for anything.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 8:12PM
Samantha L
Twice. Once with my agent and again a week later. I knew where the key was and took a peek.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 8:15PM
condomary
Twice with agent, but knew the first visit. Couldn't resist a view of Lake Ontario and a golf course and the quiet (55+)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 8:29PM
okdokegal
Previous house, I walked in and I swore I heard someone say 'welcome home' and. We put the earnest money down and signed on paperwork put on the kitchen counter about ten minutes later (fourth go out and look trip, this was #5 of 6 homes, we didn't bother with #6). The one I'm sitting in now, I was interviewing the area by internet; and the realtor gave me the street address and I was using google earth to look at places... what she was describing wasn't matching the blurs I was trying to zoom in on... we drove five hours to look at places and this was #4, as we got out of car I said 'this isn't the place we've been looking at' and I pointed to a house four down. Oh. Google Earth was getting address wrong. We were sitting at the realtor's house 15 min later while she called the owners and gave them our counter offer and they had an hour to call back before we left town. We signed papers 15 min later.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 8:47PM
armipeg
my husband came home from work, and we went together to see our current house of 20 years. As soon as I walked in I fell in love with it. I went looking around for a couple of minutes and knew for sure I wanted it. My husband asked if I'd liked it and I said, "Can we put an offer on it?" He said, "I've already done that this morning." He added our agent didn't believe that my husband would put an offer on a house that I hadn't seen yet. But he assured our agent that he knew my taste, and he was right....for once lolll
12 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 10:58PM
agavegirl1
I visited twice. The second time I took so many photos! I also made the offer contingent on a satisfactory inspection since I was looking at other things. But, it was kind of love at first sight. I had seen 26 places and moved this one up to the top of my list.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 19, 2013 at 11:03PM
shakerjaebs
THESE 87-year-old bookcases were hidden behind yellow taffeta curtains. (Sorry, could not get this pic to post from my phone last night.)
12 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 4:08AM
shakerjaebs
Yellow taffeta curtains
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 4:23AM
I assume shakerjaebs you had the right mindset and took the yellow taffeta curtains down. Tell me Yes;)
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 4:27AM
We visited our new home twice and it was love at first sight! We went back a second time to measure the windows so I could make the coverings, and then I packed the measurements before I made the coverings so that was a useless trip!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 4:38AM
shakerjaebs
Yes, Margo, sorry for my disjointed posts. The current look of the bookcases is right above the yellow taffeta picture. On the other window were yellow taffeta bubble curtains. The dining room had red taffeta curtain panels as well as red taffeta bubble curtains. The leopard stair runner is gone, too. We called the wall color on the first floor and second floor hallway "Mac & Cheese Powder". And, since the walls are all heavily textured, and the paint was not flat, it was quite a sight! We've toned it down quite a bit to let the original 1925 architectural details shine through.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:10AM
jn3344
My first house - once. I guess because I didn't have any money and the house was not a dump! I'll take it!

Last one...many times. It was a spec home and we just kept coming back to it over and over.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:15AM
shakerjaebs, I called my paint color "chicken fat yellow"! See? We should have these paint naming jobs!
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:28AM
svgas
I didn't even look at my newest house! But we tore it down - it was in the exact location we wanted and we heard a rumor the owner was thinking about selling - I sent my father up to convince her to sell it privately - worked!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:31AM
Genevieve
once
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:52AM
allofitsjunk
@noelinaz - I'm in northern California between Sacramento and San Francisco. And that's Ellie, my springer spaniel...she's loving country living!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 6:15AM
Studio M Interior Design
We went 3 times. I'd recommend the first time you go and just check it out, the next time take note of everything in detail, and the next time make sure there's nothing that needs to be changed/fixed/remeasured :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 8:28AM
Kevin Strader
Twice. Once to look at the house and the second time to take my bass boat over and make sure it would fit in one of the garages. Hey, a guy has to have his priorities in order. LOL
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 8:44AM
Elle Patille
My husband and I had no intentions of moving but, the night before we left for Paris we received an agent flyer in the mail. We took a quick peek online just to see other homes that were being featured and we fell in love! We didn't want to wait till we got back to see the house in fear it may have sold so we started calling the agent and his wife at 7pm that evening to set up a viewing before we left. We saw the house the following morning before jumping on our flight and all we did was talk about how amazing it was. It was perfect. As soon as we arrived in Paris we put an offer on the house. Now we're super excited to move in! Finding the right house is like finding your soulmate....You just know when its right. If you have to hmm and haa about it.... You haven't found your forever home... or mate :D
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 10:07AM
yvonnecmartin
Twice. Once when a friend of mine considered buying it. There were problems with warped tile on the floor and in the end she wanted the security of a condo with close neighbors. I loved the house, especially the dressing room with many closets. Five or so years later I decided that we should give up stairs and find a one-level house. Imagine my surprise that this house was on the market again. I saw it once more (the floors had been fixed) and hubby inspected the mechanicals, we placed an offer and bought the house. I love it. There are so many things that I didn't appreciate on first look--large windows to the floor, varied ceiling heights, nice separation between public and private areas, hot water heat.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 10:08AM
Elle Patille
Forgot to post a pic of our forever home so here it is :) A 200 yr old house and general store (Now converted into living space).
19 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 10:18AM
Emily B
About three times and a few more while we were under contract waiting for our own house to sell. It's not the perfect house, but it was the right size in the right location for a price we could manage, and with four kids, those were our top priorities. We knew we wouldn't have the money right away to redo some things but it was the right move for us.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 10:43AM
littlehoneybee
Zero. The military often gives us very short notice before moving and no time to go house hunting. I saw pictures and drove the neighborhood on Google Earth, but didn't see the house until we moved in. We rent, so if it were horrible, we'd only have to put up with it for a year or two at the most. Fortunately, we like the house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 11:22AM
omagnes
It was love at first sight. We looked at our apartment when it was still under construction. The views sold us ; in front wooded area in the back a medieval university town. We " bought " that afternoon with the option we could make all inside decissions. That was 20 yrs. ago and we still love it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 1:10PM
jillybeansisme
My very first house I looked at twice (all 897 square feet). My condo was word of mouth by a friend (never again, although it wasn't a bad layout), my 3rd house about 3 times, my last house I designed, my current rental twice, my next house I designed. Some rooms are exactly like my last house and some things changed - different lot size and view - and realization that one great room harbors lots of toys, so I want a play room separate from my living room. My living room will be quite lived in, but a no-kids-toys zone.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 3:13PM
Sheila Schmitz
Once. But for weeks before the previous owners moved out, we stalked it from a half block away. All we could see was the garage door, but it was "our" garage door.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:11PM
Jennifer Bush
Once. In the Bay Area, you move quickly. At that time, it was open house on the weekend, offers accepted on Wednesday. A day of counter-offers, and the house was ours. (This was, however, the ninth house we put an offer on. Outbid every other time.)
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:19PM
chloebud
We moved into this house in August. Once was it for us...we made an offer the first time we saw it. We wanted it badly and won a bidding war. As much as I would NOT want to live in our old house again, I still have pangs of emotion about it. We were there for over 30 years, and it's weird for me to think of strangers there. Houses get very personal...our kids grew up there.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 5:35PM
fishymom
I had seen this house on the internet several times, but it was way overpriced. After viewing many homes and a disappointing deal gone bad, I kept going back to this listing. I finally called my agent and we went to see it the next morning. That morning before I left, I printed out the listing for my husband and noticed they had dropped the price significantly. I told my husband it was a sign! When we walked through the front door, I told my agent this was the house and we signed the contract within the hour. Two and half hours later we had the signed contract back. My husband and daughter saw the house for the first time after we were under contract! Five years later, and I love this house as much as I did the first time I saw it!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 20, 2013 at 6:22PM
Clare Marie
We made an offer on our house after seeing it online and one visit. The decor was diabolical as shown in the pictures, but there was a nice feeling and a lot of space (for a semi detached house in England) I knew instantly that we could make this our home with some hard work and a bit if good taste :-)
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 3:32AM
chookchook2
Seriously, Clare, for real! Looks like a Fun house at an amusement park!
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 3:51AM
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
Not that many and a couple of years later, my husband Bill tore most of it down anyway (and fortunately rebuilt it) :) Rhoda
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 3:56AM
cottonwoodrd
Once. I had only three days to look for a house on Cape Cod. Had spent hours on the internet narrowing down the houses to look at. Growing up, I had spent my summers on the Cape, so I knew the area. Went to one of the houses on the list, talked to my husband who was overseas, and put in an offer the next day. My husband finally saw the house five months later when he was home for Christmas. We drove all the way for Maryland, did two quick visits to the house, and then drove back home. Spent our first summer there this year and am counting the months till I can pack up the car and the dog, and go back in June. We did find some minor problems that did not come up in the inspection, but it was the best decision ever.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 4:32AM
astraea
I saw my current home several times, before making the commitment. First time I went to an open house, when the price was significantly above my budget. I also mis-remembered the stairs up from the basement/garage as being almost circular, which I didn't like. I told my realtor about it, and when the price dropped a little, we went back again for a better look, and I liked it much more .. but the price was still a little high. I also drove back after it snowed one day, to check how well the town plowed the street, since it was a small dead-end on a hill! I think the price dropped again, and I went back with my realtor & made an offer. My first house was love at first sight, but prices were a lot lower then, and I knew immediately it was a good buy.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 4:33AM
zeebee
Twice. Open house Sunday, follow-up visit with the realtor on Tuesday, placed offer Thursday, received counter offer on Saturday, agreed on a number Monday. My husband loved the house as soon as we walked in. I needed more convincing (still do, it's a nice house but not the house of my dreams) but it was the right decision to purchase this house at that time.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 5:55AM
Amber Anderson
We bought site unseen. We had an offer on a Historic home which I had intentions of opening as a B&B and the bank took another cash offer after they accepted ours. Since we were committed to moving across the States, our Realtor had just gotten two pocket deals, one of which was a stacked log home. We bought and I flew out a few weeks later. It was in dire need of major work but being married to a Contractor, I knew we could make it home. We moved from CA to AL in July 2013. It's still a work in progress because the original craftsmanship was horrible so many things have had to be un-done before being done. By the time we are finished with this little home, it definitely will not be the same place it was months ago. This photo is what we received via email from the Realtor. LOTS will be changed!
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 5:58AM
loielein
Love at first sight!
Once from the outside ..... but since I couldn't get in, I did have to come back the next day.
I mortgaged my house in another state to the gills, got on the plane with the equivalent of cash, called a realtor from the airport and bought the first house she showed me.
There were already 5 offers on the house, but apparently my no contingency offer of the asking price was more appealing. However, I didn't actually sign the papers until the next day since the realtor couldn't get the lockbox open, and although I am fairly spontaneous, I thought I should at least go into the house once to see if there was some disaster inside.
P.S.: Although I bought the house in less than a day, for a variety of reasons it then took me 8 years to move in!! Now 13 years larer I would still buy the exact same house in the exact same neighborhood....
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 7:30AM
Kari D
Definitely love at first site...not that it was a pretty one. A fixer upper, but the bones are good. We weren't even in the market to move, but we couldn't pass this place up! And so glad we didn't!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 8:23AM
mdnotdr
We found our home on the internet. I had just poured over the 50 something photos when my daughter called and said, "Mom, here's a listing you guys might be interested in…". It was the very listing I was looking at. Told my husband who said, "I looked at that listing last year and they're asking way too much". I was dumbfounded. He took another look, "Wow! They've really dropped the price!" We made an appointment and drove 10 1/2 hrs. to see it. Driving up the drive with the realtor I knew this was it. My DH and I both fell in love with the land…171 acres of Ponderosa Pine forest and granite outcroppings. Then we saw the house and the workshop and guest house and meadows and…the land was beautiful and so was the house. We made that trip 2 more times and made an offer which they accepted. After 3 years of living here, it is still the land that takes my breath away. I am in love with earth, rocks, and trees. In the first photo you can see a bit of the workshop. 2nd photo…well, love.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 8:52AM
ethersia
We decided on our house on our first visit. Of course, we had looked/visited at least 50 houses in four different states trying to find the right retirement location1 And had been online each and every day looking at hundreds, if not thousands of homes. We loved our new home as soon as we drove up and made an offer immediately.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 9:03AM
Kay Kitchens-Poindexter
I stood on the front porch and heard screen doors slamming, children squealing and laughing and I knew I was home. My husband had to look inside first. Wonderful old 1890s house.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 9:54AM
memron
We rented the house for 2+ years to make sure we liked the area. We had moved from the Midwest to the Southwest, so it was a drastic change in a multitude of ways. During our rental days we browsed many Real estate offerings and could not find the perfect fit? The landlord said he might be willing to sell the place we had been renting. We both liked the location,size,price and condition. So we purchased it in early 2013. I should mention it was a Lucky find in 2010 from a Craigslist Rental AD. We Love it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 11:15AM
sabsteve
I saw the house about four hours after the movers left after unloading the truck. My husband and I had been house hunting together (Bay Area) and saw a couple possibilities (at least until I read the disclosures and inspection reports on those two); I made another trip out, found one and he agreed to make an offer without seeing it (but I took LOTS of photos to supplement the wide angle lens pics online). We lost it but that same day he flew out on a business trip; I saw one on line and he drove by it. The next day he saw with our agent, called and we tried to make an offer. They didn't want to accept offers before the weekend open house but with three other couples also wanting to submit offers before the weekend, they agreed to listen to us. We sent our agent in with 5 offers (we picked our high price and told her we wanted it and if it sold for less than that to someone else we would be very upset); she did not have to go to the top price fortunately.

It was very odd driving up to a house and seeing my furniture already spread out but we did well; it's not perfect but we looked at a lot of houses and hadn't seen perfect. It's working for us. Now, if I could just get rid of the rest of the stuff that we brought from our Colorado home (4 times the size of this one) because I had not seen the house and was not sure what we would use...we're working on it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 11:38AM
djbittle
I stalked my current home! Initially I fell in love with another house. Unfortunately, at an open house, a couple with connections in the neighborhood overheard us talking about making our own bid, and offered full price on the spot, which was immediately accepted. Lucky for us, another home of the same model was on the market only a block away, but at a much lower price. The negatives: no handmade wallpaper and garrish decorating, and the house two doors away from it was a pit! I spent a lot of time just sitting in my car on a side street looking at it wondering if I could live that close to the mess. My husband, a letter carrier, knew everything about the people on his own route and told me to talk to the letter carrier. While surprised at my questions, he assured me it was a nice quiet neighborhood. It’s nearly 21 years later and we’re the senior residents on the block. Oh, those messy neighbors…they moved away ages ago.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 11:53AM
arubalime
I only saw my starter home once before I made an offer. The house was a mess with moving boxes everywhere and clutter all over the kitchen countertops. For once in my life, I could see beyond the clutter and bought it. Great home!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 12:20PM
karenhannah
Once.

The backstory...I had been looking for months. We both hated the house we were living in, but I was the only one looking. For every 10 houses I visited, I could get him to go look at one. And by "look at," I mean drive by, while he pointed out why he didn't like it. I was at the end of my rope. And then, HE saw a picture in a real estate magazine that he liked. It was a miracle! We called the real estate agent, arranged a visit (with the homeowners present), and went to look at it. I had my fingers crossed when my husband and the property owner disappeared for about 30 minutes to walk the property line (having acreage was one of our prime requirements). After our visit, as we were sitting in the driveway getting ready to go home, I finally asked him, "So, what do you think?" He sat there for a minute, and then started, "Well, I hate to say this, but..." my heart sank. But then he finished, "But I really like it!"

We called as soon as we got home and offered them their asking price.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 1:01PM
hiluhilu
Twice - two years apart. When we first started looking at a new development for a possible future home, my husband didn't like this house. The builder chose not to do a model (he wanted the architecture to speak for itself), and the house looked stark and austere compared to the other builders' blinged-up models. Two years later we were ready to buy. Almost as an afterthought, we checked out the same tract. The market had dropped, and the builder ended up leasing some of the homes in the meantime. "Our" house was one of them. We bought it and couldn't be happier.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 1:18PM
johnece
Once was enough for us! We had looked at so many that weren't "right," it was great to find the one that felt like home!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 1:37PM
amycarman
Drove past it once, walked in three days later. Knew it was for us. 10+ years later-still very happy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 1:48PM
walkerrph
15 minutes & we weren't even in the process of looking for a new home..went to the sales office (live in a 55+ community) to ask a question...but as this is our 10th home & we seem to do this often??
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 2:02PM
Durpetti Interiors
Once. One hour visit. Knew within first 5 minutes.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 2:04PM
njcook53
Once. My fiancé and I weren't really looking, but I found our home on-line. We loved the 2-story entry, the wood-paneled ceiling, the little children's loft with a teeny skylight!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 2:51PM
dkoebke
Only saw our home in photos because we were retiring from the military and making a move from Hawaii to the Midwest. The pictures did not do it justice - designed by a local architect in Frank Lloyd style, radiant heat and beautiful views. We've loved it for 15 years. Finally decided we need to retire further south and made an offer on a condo on the first visit over a Thanksgiving trip. I think our military background gives us the confidence to know we can make a home anywhere.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 4:45PM
Linda
We visited twice. At the first visit, we decided it was a really nice house. Then we went back for a second visit to be certain before we made an offer. We had looked at several houses and had one other one we really liked but it was overpriced. Our agent told us later that she knew we would buy our house because we spent 45 minutes there for our first visit instead of our usual 10-15 minute visit.

We went back once before closing to get some measurements and see what we needed for furniture. I recently found the photos from that trip...either we took them or they were extra photos from the listing. I'm going to leave those photos for the next owner of the house as a record of what the house looked like in 1992.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 5:54PM
Linda
I've bought several houses since our first house as investments but that's much easier than trying to find "The Right House" to live in. I don't even have to necessarily like the house to buy it as an investment. Now hubby and I are thinking of downsizing and starting the process of looking for our next house. We'll probably end up moving into one of our investment properties because we can't find anything we seem to agree on
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 6:00PM
lc29
I spotted my house before it was on the market, it's in a neighborhood I've loved to walk in for a long time. I always appreciated it's exterior symmetry and style. One day I drove the 10 miles to walk in this favorite neighborhood and, by chance, a realtor was holding an open house in the very house I had always wondered what the interior looked like. I wasn't in the market for a house, but of course I went in! Called my real estate agent and had put in an offer in the next couple of days, my bid won over seven others!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 7:06PM
hazel223
I had a day set up to go and look at several houses. Based on the listings I had rated them but we didn't get to my favorite until last. I liked the listing but loved the house as soon as we walked in. My husband and I went back the next day. That was it for both of us!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 7:11PM
MaryEllen Bradley
Three times -- First time I looked by myself. It was on the water with a lovely view. The house was built in 1940 and had been updated. I brought my husband later but he had reservations because he is in a wheelchair and knew we needed to remodel to make it disabled assailable. We came back one more time with a builder to make sure we could remodel it. It has been a dream home and we love it.
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 8:16PM
abigail822
Zero. The owners had locked the storm door and the lockbox was unreachable. A former Realtor, i had seen the house last time it was sold, so i made an offer $100 over asking and one of the contingencies was that I got to see the house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 8:37PM
Ed
Hi Emily, maybe only twice? It was over 20 years ago. :) This is after the recent whole-house remodel. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 9:11PM
tiamay
Once. The minute we walked through the front door, I knew it was going to be mine! We toured it regardless, and placed an offer even before we left the property. Another agent and buyer were waiting on the sidewalk! There's no way I was going to let this go ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 22, 2013 at 10:19PM
rosecafe
Hi Ed, so what percentage of contributors to this questionnaire bought their house after the first inspection? And.. Merry Xmas!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 23, 2013 at 4:09AM
otteroo
We looked at the house 2 times. First on our own then with the owner of the house. It had sat empty for years. The home was built in 1968. The previous owner was an engineer who remodeled a lot of things like vinyl windows, adding insulation and, adding a two car garage to the 2 acre property and converting the original attached garage into a dining room and opening it up to the living room creating the huge open concept room you see below. This owner that we met had seen the room and fell in love with house and bought it, but never lived in it.

Outside there was a lot and neglect in the landscaping overgrowth and un-kept yard but we saw the potential right away. It just needed TLC and cleaned it up.

We found nothing in the disclosure to indicate an undesirable history. It was for sale by owner and we actually met her at the very moment when she was putting out for "sale by owner" signs. We were the ONLY ones who ever saw it, It never went on the market. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time.

We found out she bought it to raise her four sons in. She never moved in because she met her future husband at that same time when she bought it and they all moved into his house. That's why it sat empty. The courtship phase of her relationship demanded she keep the house in case it didn't work out. Well it did, and they got married and built a $300,000 house. They were carrying three house mortgages can you imagine? They had to unload this house and fast. We made our offer which was immediately accepted and we moved in a week later. Going on seven years in it now, we have found no problems with the house what so ever.

The blurry image was taken from the only window where the blind was drawn up, and we could see inside. It is what we saw the first day before we had even gotten inside. This open concept room is approximately 40 feet long 17 feet wide in the dining room and 14 feet wide in the living room and foyer. A bowling alley is 60 feet long and this looked like a really wide bowling alley with all those beautiful hard wood floors throughout. My eyes actually popped and I said out loud, "whoa", when I first looked through the window and saw this room. That night I told my wife, "I have found our future home". Never the less, She was not convinced and had to see it first,.. naturally. When her eyes popped after seeing that same room through the window and she said out loud, "whoa", I had a pretty good feeling I was right about this house.

After perusing the entire property, the top left picture is of her standing in front of our future home and lifting her hand in the air as if to say "this is it, Tada", and I knew she was sold and this was going to be our home. That is the actual picture of the moment. At this point, we had not even been inside the house yet. I have over 70 pictures of that day when we first saw it.

We got a GREAT price on this house because of the situation and paid well below market value. Right at 3000 square feet not counting the two car garage and covered porches, this is the biggest and best house I have ever lived in, and we were the only ones who ever looked at it. Right place right time, we were blessed.

Before and after pictures, The first two pictures were taken 2007, the second two in 2013. Inside Panoramics will follow in another posting.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 23, 2013 at 8:25AM
Akshay Nasit
It was imaging....
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 8:30AM
otteroo
A few inside panoramics, We moved out of a house 900 square foot house on a 50 foot by 150 foot lot, straight into this 3000 square foot home on two acres. Big IS better, and ironically it is easier to keep clean than the small house. The family room in the bottom right picture was the size of our new house. We could fit three of that house inside this house with room left over and a little more than three lots on this lot. We didn't even have enough furniture to fill and had plastic in the dining room to start with.

Our offer was accepted and we got a great price on this because of the owners situation.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 23, 2013 at 9:11AM
gypsyrose17
It was the first day out with the realtor, the first home I looked at, we went to 4 more and I asked her to go back to the first...went home, spoke to my husband, talked to the Realtor to make an offer and put down a deposit the next day, subject only to home and pest inspection...the first time my husband saw the home was during the inspection 3 days before we closed. have never regretted the purchase.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 23, 2013 at 10:33AM
Ed
Hi RoseCafe, the arithmetic is elementary, but since this was not set up as a Poll with all the votes displayed and tallied automatically right on top, it's a bit more work, have to actually read every reply and all that. Happy Winter! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:37AM
rosecafe
Thanks Ed, but it's summer here. Our Xmas forecast in the pic below. These temps are Celsius, so in your language, you need to double them and add 30. e.g. Xmas day in Melbourne will be 92 degrees : )
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 1:31PM
beverlynn
Three times actually inside, once peeping through the windows, and several times just sitting in the driveway looking at it! I initially came to look at the model unit that was for sale. It was nice, but was too small for my dining room table. As I was leaving, I saw the For Sale sign, walked down, took down the information, and peeked in the windows. I could tell there were two living spaces and thought my dining room table would fit. Made an appt with the agent came and looked at it. Once inside, it was love at first sight! it had everything I wanted on my wish list, plus a beautiful kitchen! It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I was willing to negotiate as the previous owner had moved across country and the house had been empty for 10 months. The agent didn't have a lot of time that first visit, but was really nice and told me there would be an open house in a couple. weeks. She called and gave me the date for the Open House. I arrived at 2:00 and was the only person who attended. The agent and I sat and talked the entire two hours! I felt totally at home! In the meantime, I looked at other places while debating whether to buy or rent as I was moving from out of state. I finally decided I didn't want to move twice, so I decided to buy. I also looked at a unit with the exact same floor plan by the same builder in a different location which was 5 miles farther away from where I would be working. Although the unit hardwood floors downstairs and was $20,000 cheaper, I did not get a good feeling about the location. My cousin's daughter lives in a subdivision two minutes away and really loves this area, so I thought okay. Got the ball rolling to get pre-approved for financing, then called the agent. Another month had gone by. The same agent was the buyer's agent for the couple who bought the model unit (distressed sale as builder was in financial trouble) and had done comps as the market was still tanking (2010). She called to find out if I was still interested and if so, to meet her here. When I got here, she told me that the owner had dropped the price $20,000! I put in an offer for $3,000 less, and she accepted! So, I got it for $23,000 less than the original asking price!!I moved in on October 20, 2010 and haven't looked back! I love my house!!
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 1:43PM
Kari D
@rosecafe and Ed-can't speak for others, but our offer was contingent on the inspections since the house is 100 years old. I told myself that as much as I love the place I had to be prepared to walk. For instsance, if the words structural (wood) rot were uttered by anyone I was outta there. Luckily, not the case, plus the electrical, plumbing, heating, and central air had all been updated and/or installed within the past 5 years. With the exception of tuck pointing and replacing the old single pane windows, which begins next month, anything that needs fixing is purely cosmetic. The inspectors couldn't believe the terrific shape this old place is in. I've said it before, I'll say it again. They don't make them like they use to.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 1:59PM
countbla
One 15 min. visit with my realtor before registering the offer, and a second time for the conditional inspection. However I had been to a dozen open houses and had 3 unsuccessful offers on other units with the same layout in the building (over a two year period), so I had a bit of research done ahead of time ;).
1 Like    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 3:22PM
Ed
Hi RoseCafe, Happy Summer! :) Actually I'm more familiar with C than F. :) "x2 then +30" is a approximation which is quite good. The exact is x(9/5), then add 32. :)
31°C is quite warm there ! :)
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 6:24PM
lellogirl
We knew the first time we saw it, but another bidder beat us to the punch. A week later, (and many unhappy showings) our agent took us back to make sure we still wanted to bid, because the previous bidder was no longer valid.
I love my house!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:20PM
cyclingthroughlife
Once. It was a rundown, ugly house that needed a lot of work, had no backyard and for was out of the price range we were looking at. However, it had incredible views and met the most important criteria of all - location, location, location! Also, the owners were divorcing and it just fell out of escrow... we snapped it up and just beat out a serial house
flipper.

Fast forward 15 years later, and we just completed our year and a half long ground up total renovation (only one original wall at most) and finally realized the vision we had for the property.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 7:55AM
modestgoddess79
Twice. I visited the first time when it was an overpriced short sale. Then it was bought by a nonprofit developer which I found out when I looked it up to see how someone had gotten such a low price on the row home. Visited the second time with the developer before any work had been done to hear their plans. Verbally expressed interest in buying it and signed the contract 4 months later, mid renovation.
    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 10:03AM
krissiemarie
We bought the house sight unseen after seeing images on Trulia app. We had our mom and sister/brother do a walk thru and w/ an unanimous thumbs up we made an offer and magically it was ours.
    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 10:15AM
redryder60
Twice. The first time, as we were getting out of our car, our Realtor told us, "I'm sorry, but I just found out they have an accepted offer." This was the see-it-and-bid-immediately 2004 real estate boom. Unfortunately, we had a lot of house & land requirements since we were moving both our horses (so we needed flat land for a barn, paddock & ring) and my mother-in-law (and her live-in companion) with us. Plus I work at home.
But since we lived about 20 minutes away, we looked at the house anyway. It was a neglected rental for over 10 years with the first two floors as one rental and the entire basement/garage area as the second apartment. My husband was really critical of the house (BTW - HE was the one that found it on the internet; I thought it was ugly) but on the first visit, we were thinking it would never be ours.
A couple of weeks later I get a call from our Realtor and she said it was back on the market. The previous buyer backed out. So I rushed over and this time took my sweet time about looking around. For the first time I went out on the deck and that was it. I was sold. The acreage was beautiful, sloping gently down from the back deck. The flat meadow to the right would be perfect for our barn and future paddocks. I went home and told my husband we were bidding that night.
The main reason we could consider a neglected rental was that I had a fabulous contractor who had done work on the inside of my previous house, and my husband had one who could build the barn. In THREE MONTHS, the interior was primarily done, plus the roof, french drain, new walkways and steps, etc. We have changed just about every square inch of this house over 9 years. Six month after the inside was done, we rode our horses over to move into their new barn. Our contractors were miracle workers. And reliable.
While I will always miss the 1925 colonial I had before I met my husband, we live in a fabulous horse community and have made many friends who also ride. Having reliable contractors gives you options, for sure! Plus, we made an incredible profit on my 1925 house, which promptly went into this one. We never regretted it.
But it was so UGLY when we bought it. Several people told us they knew the house and can't believe we were "brave enough" to buy it. Even more people give us tons of compliments on turning an ugly, neglected colonial into a marvelous small horse farm. I can see the horses from my office too!
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 11:53AM
redryder60
The barn in winter from my office.
12 Likes    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 11:56AM
halleycomet
Our "first" house we lost after a bank deal fell thru---do NOT tell a potential buyer that a mortgage is "assumable" at the PRIOR owners rate!!!!! Remember assumable mortgages????

We then went on to look at numerous houses---the one that the field stone foundation had moved so much the owners just scraped the ledge clean and used it for canning goods; the one with horse manure piled SO HIGH we could not see the ceiling---how does that even HAPPEN? Oh and that one had the fridge in the living room--- Then we went to see one that was supossed to be "lake front" to find that the lake was somewhere it shouldn't be--in the basement. And no--you could NOT see the lake from the house! But on the way TO that house we saw an old farm house with about a dozen real estate signs on the lawn. The broker we were with was extremely reluctant to have us look but we liked it--and you COULD see the lake!

There were things that needed doing but we were young and the price was right as it was going to be foreclosed on if it did not sell. We lived there for ten years while the economy of the area changed, my in-laws moved to be close to us and developed health issues; we had three kids---and we were on a very heavily traveled main road. So we decided to sell and move to a more sheltered location. The house sold as we were putting the FOR SALE sign in the ground.

Whoops! Now--we NEED a place to LIVE! We have three little kids! We can't leave the area! No houses are for SALE! One would think we might have noticed this but----

A few months prior I had been on the phone with someone when a horrific crash occured on their street. The drunk driver was killed. The house was abandoned. It went into foreclosure---and it was THERE. And affordable---IF we could convince the bank to take ONLY the portion the late owner owed THEM. Not the IRS or Sears or the power company or or or---yeah there was THAT much paper on the place. I knew the banker--a local loan guy--and he got the bank to agree and even to let us go in and do work on it---the place needed some serious work like a new sill ---and to let our contractor friend get in for an estimate.

I didn't like it then and I don't like it now and we are now looking to move South. So--not every house is "Love at first sight" altho I am hoping that the NEXT one will be making up for this one!
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 12:49PM
ahklein
We were living in Ohio and my husband got a job in Miami, FL. I went online to look at houses in Broward, Co. (near Ft. Lauderdale), our preferred area. I fell in love with a house online, but was informed by our agent that it was under contract. Fast forward to the day I finally got to fly down to FL to see our agent in person and in her pile of properties to look at...there was MY house! I was shocked and said "I thought you said it was unavailable!?" and she had forgotten. Turns out it had been under contract but the buyers backed out. She took my husband and I around to a few other properties but I was champing at the bit and wanted to see "my" house. Sure enough when I finally got inside, I was jumping up and down. When we got into the agent's car she asked if we should see the next place, or make an offer on this one. My husband said "I like it too..." so we skipped the last property and made an offer on my dream house. It was a long process with some ups and downs...I won't bore you...but happy to say were are here and have been living in it since August. :)
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 6:37PM
Danya Moriah
We attended the first open house, requested a private showing a couple days later, and offered that evening. I believe we saw the house 3 times before we moved in. 1) Open House; 2) Private Showing; 3) Inspection. We actually had another offer in on another house at the open house. After that inspection, we found multiple issues with the house and the sellers wouldn't negotiate. Luckily, our house now was a much better choice. We walked away after the sellers wouldn't come down in price and placed an offer on the house we now live in. We are really happy with the way things turned out. This was the third house we placed an offer on and it was accepted. Goes to show that just because an offer was accepted, doesn't mean the house is purchased.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 9:53AM
ellenrogerj
saw it on zillow, bought it, went (from wisconsin to oregon) the next month to see it. still love it!
    Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 7:27PM
ninalwilkins
Only once! Knew it was my home the minute I walked in the front door. Couldn't wait to get the sale in progress. No problems and in two weeks she was mine. Have loved her ever since and so does everyone that enters.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 12:03PM
moggiesmom
I saw this crazy looking Big blue house from the 1880's in a small ad in the newspaper, in the dead of winter of aNew England day, my husband went with me, we walked up through granite posts at the end of a driveway, that was not wide enough for a modem car. Up the three steps, my husband turned the doorknob and the door wouldn't open, I reached out and the door opened for me! A shoe manufacture's home ,big foyer, staircase that reached the sky. Windows from floor to ceiling letting in bright afternoon light. Two large rooms in the front ,,and a library with a small bump out of windows , so you could get the sun in the winter. One bedroom, on the first floor and a mismosh kitchen of a hundred years of kitchen do overs. And a 1940's bathroom by the backdoor, upstairs, three bedrooms, no bath except a marble sink in one bedroom, and it worked, no musty smells anywhere, for a old house. Now here is we're it gets strange it had a huge barn attached by the kitchen door, and in between a TWO HOLER wooden latrine, from when the house was built, fortunately it hadn't been used since who knows when ( no smells). And what sold me on it was the cat fllap door between the kitchen door and the barn! I would have robbed a bank to get the money if I could have got away with it! There was no way to get the extra $160,000 extra to buy this home, just the heating bill would have put us on the street. Every year I make a trip by myself just to look it and imagine what it would have been like to live in this house. It called to me the first time I saw it, and said"you belong here". I haunt this house, when I sleep. the poor people that own this house must see me every where in their house, I hope I don't scare them. I live in a modem house, but I dare to dream of the big blue Victorian that will never be mine.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:51AM
spenserh
Sight unseen. The realtor called and said he had my house but it was over our price range. I looked at the Google satellite image and knew it was the one. I have to live in this village for work purposes but hated the majority of the zero lot line places available in our price range. A friend looked at it for me and we made the offer the first day it was on the market. Then the owner's lawyer son decided it must be under priced if they had a full offer the first day. It took a few more weeks but we didn't budge. I drove down for the inspection and to get my first real look. The kitchen was pretty disappointing, but everything else was perfect. I just hope the appliances hold out until we can gut the kitchen!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:14PM
Donna McCullough
Twice
1 Like    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:18PM
Brenda
we went once, then took my parents with us for a second visit to 2 houses we liked just for a "sanity check" ...
    Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 3:33PM
Clare Marie
Update... I no longer live in an amusement park fun house. This us my kitchen now. I just need a cooker hood but can't make a decision :-/
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 3:33PM
susanpmccoy
Because of my job, I'm required to live within 15 minute commute time. Unfortunately, location within that time radius was way out of price range. The first time I met with my agent, he drove me throughout the zone. I fell in love with this area on Main St with 1959 ranch houses. Pointed out to him that this was my dream neighborhood; small one story houses with yards that had dogs and kids, mature trees, etc. REA said "not possible--way too expensive!" Long story short (and real estate market crashing) on way to grocery store, and saw a real estate agent caravan in front of one of those ranches, walked in, fell in love, call my agent (who turned out to be at the house!)and was able to put the bid in 5 minutes:-). Now, I'm in a home that I can retire in and get up five minutes before work, and still get there on time!
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 2:37AM
Caz Gee
We decided to go browsing builders display homes in order to gather ideas for a kitchen makeover - definitely not looking to buy. We laughed hysterically as we walked through the front door and could see the ensuite mirrors and spa tub - the builder had installed a half wall to the ensuite, easily clear line of sight from the front door. But a few more steps into the kitchen/ dining / living room found us in a modern, bright, open spacious room. Being a builders display, all fixtures and fittings were top notch. We noticed a sign saying the property was for sale as a lease back ( ie, the purchaser becomes the landlord for a fixed period of time while the display village is in operation). We jokingly asked on the way back through about the price, only to find that the land size was approx twice that of all but one other block in the subdivision. So that did it - a money making investment property AND potential future medium density living site. We huddled over figures, sought advice about re- mortgaging, learnt a lot about becoming commercial property landlords ( since it was still operating as a business), and decided to take the opportunity ( after agreeing to some cosmetic changes with the builder, including the open plan ensuite!)
So the house became ours, and we visited it many times before we were able to move in, a couple of years later. It was quite bizarre to be sitting in 'our' lounge room and hear strangers nitpicking about our house. Even worse with noisy kids running about smearing greasy hands all over the walls and doors!
In the end though, we moved in and the house is no longer a pristine display home but our home. And our previous home became an investment property, and both it and another rental are happily paying themselves off, whilst we accumulate some security for our future.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 3:54AM
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
One time. After a grueling and stressful search, and a few past failed purchase attempts. This house fell in our laps. We were emotionally detached from the process by this time. The house hit all of the marks, so it "would work" for us. Everything went smoothly, like butter. Now, six months later, we are in love with it...kind of funny that we didn't realize how great it was when we chose it.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 5:11AM
deb2614
We wanted to stay in our same neighborhood so our choices were limited. We looked at our current house first. It was a 1980's nightmare. Good bones, great pool and plenty of room but the master bath....omg. We put in a low offer because of all the work needed. It was rejected. We kept looking and found something that would work. Pool, number of rooms, updated kitchen. Deal fell through after the appraisal. So went back to the first house. Our second offer was accepted though it was still much lower than the asking price. Kitchen and master have not yet been updated but we had our first party three weeks after moving in. The house is lovely. Plenty of rooms for our family and friends to spread out. By the time we are done I think everything but the original slate floors and the awesome crown molding will have been replaced or painted but hey...don't get something for nothing.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 5:34PM
sumesar
Twice. But I knew she was mine the first time I set foot in her, I just went back to show my husband. She looked barely habitable but she had everything I dreamed about as a child. I have never had a regret about the purchase.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:44AM
jens56
I chose the house from its description on Har's website just after it was listed. At the same time our real estate agent was trying to get hold of us to view it as she had also realised it was what we wanted. My husband was able to view the house straight away and then put a bid in. I saw it the next day and our bid was accepted. Yippee, yippee, we move in soon! I am so excited!
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:42PM
Sandy Williams
We designed it, and built it in '96, and it's time for some updates. Kitchen, bathrooms, and flooring on main level.
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:44PM
vnica
The second we pulled up in front of it, I wanted it. The first picture is the original house and the second picture is the addition we added. The second addition to the other side isn't complete yet. It was built around 1924 and is an Italianate style of architecture, initially referred to as the "Italian Villa" or "Tuscan Villa" style.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 10:18PM
zaza
I spent 5 years looking for the perfect house. My family and friends gave up on me. Finally I saw this house on the internet . When I saw it in person ,I fell in love with the lake running across the back yard, the Gazebo and screen room. The outside was heaven. The inside was very open plan which was the first No on my list. I kept saying I can put a wall to divide the kitchen from living. The price was a little higher. The area was 20 miles opposite direction
where I was looking. I bought the house. I have been here three years and now realizing
I made a huge mistake I am looking for another house in the right area.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 10:19PM
alwaysdesigning
We had been looking for a year, and Our previous house was vacant so we looked in through uncurtained windows and saw floor to ceiling bookcases on one wall that would handsomely house all our books that told us this is it. Plus the floorplan, views, metal roof and 104 acres, plus the price had just been lowered within our budget. We looked closely and carefully once inside, and put in an offer that was accepted. Eight years later we still had no regrets.
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 10:42PM
ensheslovely
I like the first house and the color
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 1:07AM
mandyf21
We built our current home, but the previous house was purchased. I viewed it with the agent and said "yes" on the basis that it had a huge pantry and I knew my then husband would want to purchase because of the HUGE workshop area underneath in the garage. I remember saying to the agent - yes, I'll take it, but maybe I should get my husband to have a look first. And I was right - lived there happily for 6 years with a well stocked pantry and many projects completed and almost as many not, from the workshop area.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 2:02AM
Robert
I went, maybe, thrice, before we decide that it was the home we were looking for.each time we went at different times to see the effect of the changes of sunlight had on the house,as I always wanted my house to have a lots of sunlight. There were also other many small additions to the house that attracted my attention but what i liked best was the view of a small lake and a golf course across the street, which I could enjoy from my living room.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 2:26AM
addisonlynch
Once, made a low ball offer a few hours later. Asked for a few minor repairs to be done & sellers came back with a counter offer at $5,000 less than our offer for us to buy as is depending on how inspection went. We accepted & they ended up doing the main repair anyway.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 6:56AM
Lynn Babin Fontaine
WE visited our current home 2 times.First time it was an open house,2nd time came back with a realtor for a private visit, put an offer and got it! Been living here for 19 years. Did a lot of renovations. new roof,new windows, updated kitchen and bathrooms, put in new flooring through out , new light fixtures and painted. Outside did new landscaping, new patio and new front walkway.This was all done within the last 5 years.Trying to make it our dream home and we are almost done.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 9:29AM
zang777
My husband and I bought our house after just 1 visit, and without ever looking at any other homes. Our friends and family thought we were crazy (we weren't even married yet!), and the house was a total Hot 80's Mess. But we put alot of hard work into the renovation s and could not be happier. We have been there 8 years now and just love it. Attached are some "before and afters" to guve u an idea of uber-80's decor and the "Mauve Madness" we were up against.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 12:06PM
armipeg
@redryder60, one word....Breathtaking!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:29PM
dstemple1956
I looked at mine twice. Once by myself and once with my realtor but I had already decided that I wanted it to be home.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:01PM
Carrie Kelley
I didn't think our current home was love at first sight, but then I found myself comparing every house we saw to that one (as in, "If we're going to spend that much, we may as we'll get X house,"). It was out of our price range a bit, but after walking away when the sellers wouldn't haggle, they came back and started dealing. We got a great price, and I love it! I think we ended up visiting the property only twice before the final walk-thru the day of closing.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:41PM
Elizabeth Bolton - ReMax Destiny
Once. And that's true of every place I've bought (I'm on house #4). Every one was a multiple-bid, high pressure situation. Every time I would go to the home inspection thinking "I sure hope I like it" since I'd spent so little time in it before writing an offer. I've ended up loving every house. I walk in it and know it's "the one". In two cases that was due in large part to the entry hall - open the front door and I want it. Old wallpaper pulls me in too.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:11PM
Nancy
I saw my 1st house once and fell in love when I walked in. The house I'm buying next week, I saw twice but knew I had to have it as soon as I walked in.(pictures are first house and house I'm buying next week)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 5:08PM
How to test white paints when current walls are different strong colors
I have bought a house in Santa Fe in which every room...
susanta
We chose a HIDEOUS exterior paint color! Pls HELP us choose a new one!
We just redid our landscaping and as a finishing touch...
Maryam McMullin
Would concerns of radioactivity in granite dissuade you from using it in your home?
I've stumbled upon this article while researching countertop...
michblue
Your home vs. your childhood home?
Is your current home similar to the home you grew up...
POLL: Do you rent or own your home?
How our homes look and feel to us is important no matter...
Inconvenient bathroom location
The guest bathroom is right outside the kitchen, it...
Ann Williams
Need ideas!
This is my "formal" living room. I would love some...
jodiezerega
Help us have a ' safe and happy landing ;)'
Our apartment is on the fourth and top floor of our...
chayalarosenberg
Help.. need to convince my sister blue is not the way to go!
My sister is currently spending a s* load of money...
daniellemmercer
Kitchen Bid High What is the Norm?
My house flooded due to an overflowing toilet. Because...
bellburgmaggie