Tile or Wood flooring in the Kitchen
CoHo Properties, Inc.
Attached is a layout of my kitchen which also provides an idea of the surrounding rooms. I will be installing Tobacco Road Acacia wood floors all of the surrounding rooms of the Kitchen, which includes the Dining room, Living room and Family room. My original plan was install a marble tile flooring in the kitchen. The majority of kitchen cabinets will be an ivory color, with the exception of the island cabinets, which will be a dark chocolate.

I am now considering putting wood flooring in the kitchen, just because it might flow well between the other rooms. Would love to get more opinions from the Houzz community.
rinqreation
I'd go for wood.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 4:55AM
The Wiese Company
Wood flooring throughout will certainly help with the flow from room to room. That's what we'd recommend!
4 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 5:07AM
Agreed, wood flooring would provide a better flow, but the kitchen is defined enough that tiles could also work as originally planned.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 5:25AM
CoHo Properties, Inc.
Rinqeation and The Wiese Company, thank you for your comments. What I am struggling to convey is that I do believe that the Crema Marfil tile better compliments the kitchen cabinets vs the Acacia wood flooring. However, if I were to choose the wood flooring then I would improve the flow from room to room, as you commented. I see positives in both choices....thanks again for your opinions.
0 Likes   December 20, 2013 at 5:34AM
Either will be lovely. No bad choices here, just different effects. Personally, however, I like wood and the consistency of having the same flooring throughout.
1 Like   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 5:39AM
OMNIA Group Architects
WE love the the flow of one look, which would be the wood. I personally would have some issues with the upkeep of wood. My choice would be ceramic tile. It's so easy. My husband would definitely pick the uniform look. We are having that male-female argument now with our kitchen. Marble is very porous and has higher maintenance than ceramic. Either sounds lovely. Grab a piece of each flooring. Put it next to your cabinets and leave it there for a few days to decide. If the cabinets are not installed, pick your samples and leave them in the kitchen area. Have fun!
0 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:05AM
Sunderland Brothers Company
What about wood tile? It's a great way to get the wood look with the hassle free upkeep of tile.
1 Like   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:10AM
Marilyn Wilkie
Wood is nice but variety is the spice of life. There are so many types of tile available. I chose a porcelain tile with a marble "look" and I love it.
0 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:18AM
Elle Patille
Wood flooring all the way. I've always had wood flooring throughout my kitchens so everything flows.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:28AM
anne dee
Wood flooring for eye appeal
And in the kitchen the sub floor should be appropriate to keep back and legs from tiring.
4 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:36AM
Marika Fedalen
Wood flooring is beautiful and fairly easy to clean. I'd go with wood!
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:37AM
yoboseiyo
wood. there's no definite place to end the other floor, so wood.

plus, wood floors are gorgeous.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 10:53AM
CoHo Properties, Inc.
Thank you to everyone for your comments! To Omnia Group: I have placed the wood flooring and Tile flooring next to the kitchen cabinets...after viewing for a few days, I truly believe that the tile is a better fit with the cabinets. It's not that the wood flooring look bad, in fact the wood floor looks great as well...its just the tile gives a much more "elegant" look vs. a more "rustic and earthy" feel for the wood.

My challenge is that this house is going to be put up for sale and I consider this to be a "luxury" home. I am trying to gauge if more "luxury" home buyers would prefer wood flooring in their kitchen or a tile floor. Based on what I have seen recently from similarly priced homes...I get the impression that the current trend is to go with wood floors for the kitchen...just wanted to get the Houzz community opinion to validate or refute my believes of current trends.

So far, the responses have been overwhelming pro-wood. I appreciate all the opinions. Thank you.
0 Likes   December 20, 2013 at 11:14AM
CoHo Properties, Inc.
Yoboseiyo, if we place tile in the kitchen, then there would be distinct transitions between the wood and tile right in the doorway between the Living Room and Kitchen, Dining Room and Kitchen, and Family Room has a "step down" from the bar counter area of the kitchen which allows for an easy transition between the wood and tile. Thanks again for your comments!
0 Likes   December 20, 2013 at 11:18AM
OMNIA Group Architects
Sometimes it depends on the layout. If the floors flow into each other, then do the wood. But you have a step located in between the kitchen area and the family area. I personally would go with the better looking (elegant choice) of tile. Both are good choice though. From a practical point, I think that wood in the kitchen shows more wear and tear.
0 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 11:25AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
CoHo,

The LL product Tobacco Road Acacia comes in 3 different specifications: Solid, engineered Hardwood, and engineered with HDF (High Density Fibreboard). Please check your purchase to find out which one you purchased.

The solid and engineered can go in the kitchen. The "Easy Click" can NOT! The Easy Click is the one with the HDF middle layer. Please be aware that this type of engineered product does not mix well with water! The HDF is the part of the product that will swell/warp if it comes into contact with any form of spills/water. This is NOT a solid wood product.

Solid wood and the engineered hardwood can do well in kitchens because they can be site finished with a polyurethane. LL website no longer states what the finish is nor if it can be site finished. Aluminum Oxide DOES NOT like being site finished.

I would investigate the LL product before making your decision.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 11:41AM
catieb
The Tobacco Road Acacia has some boards that are completely blond....some people like that look, but whenever I've had that situation with a client, we end up culling out the completely blond boards, so there are just streaks of it, not large swaths of blond.

I vote for wood throughout too, unless the rooms to the right of the kitchen are also tile and it goes into the pool bath. In that case it might balance out well and not look like just a blob of white in amongst the wood.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 12:52PM
CoHo Properties, Inc.
Catieb, thanks for your comment. fyi, the area to the right of the kitchen is a hallway that leads to the pool bath, master bedroom and laundry room. This hallway will continue with the same flooring as the kitchen....either tile or wood...whichever option I end up choosing for the kitchen.
1 Like   December 20, 2013 at 1:24PM
Debp
Wood!! Tiles are cold and hard and would break up the flow of your home.
1 Like   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 2:28PM
jillybeansisme
I had 2000 SF of tile in my last house including in the kitchen. NEVER AGAIN. It is so hard on your feet and legs and is so unforgiving when something drops. My kitchen included a 3 1/2 foot diameter custom mosaic -- definitely upper scale -- still I will never again have tile.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 3:00PM
Studio Dearborn
Almost all my customers run their wood floors into the kitchen. It is easier on your legs and feet, creates visual flow, and provides nice contrast with white cabinets. You should add an extra coat of poly for durability.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 3:12PM
Design Details
In the north I'd say go for wood but Florida has a Mediterranean climate that suggests tile. Aesthetically and from a comfort perspective I prefer wood.
1 Like   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 3:21PM
khillen
We did cork in the same colour as the wood flooring that is throughout the house. Visually, it's a better choice than a tile, and cork is soft and warm, and easy on my back.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 3:21PM
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
I'll confirm that a unified look is best...
0 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 4:53PM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
If you're selling the house anyway, I would have to agree with installing wood flooring. I think it will be a great selling point. Also, wood flooring, even if it's the same price per square foot as your marble tile, requires less materials and labour to install than tile, so would be cheaper in the long run. More bang for your buck!
0 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 5:18PM
3wizkids
we went for ceramic in the kitchen because we own a large dog and decided the ceramic would be more durable in the long run. We love it.
0 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 5:38PM
Ann Meyers
Isn't marble fragile, relatively speaking? I'm an avid home cook. If I walked into that kitchen, even admiring the beauty of it, the impracticality of it would put me off in a New York minute. Someone mentioned standing on a stone floor; I heartily agree. We have wood flooring in the kitchen, installed about two years ago, and LOVE It. It cleans up well. Things that fall on it don't shatter or dent easily (nor does the floor- ahem), and my arthritic joints are pretty happy with it. (I do have a GelPro mat in the primary prep area.) Don't be so sure that looks alone will sell. Some people go for function- especially us "older" people. I am 61.
2 Likes   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 5:52PM
mancusoa
Sometimes flow isn't the answer. Sometimes defining a room with some great tile would be perfect. It looks like your kitchen is close to an outdoor eating area which means you would be in and out a fair amount. Tile will definitely ware better and you wouldn't have to worry about taking your shoes off and scratching the floor. Just a thought
1 Like   Thanked by CoHo Properties, Inc.    December 20, 2013 at 6:15PM
replace kitchen floor tiles with tiles or wood
our kitchen, living and dining room are all in one...
Wood or tile flooring in the kitchen for an open floor plan
I am the process of designing my home. I am using wood...
Wood or tile floors in my kitchen?
We are remodeling our 20 year old house and are debating...
distance from range to island?
In remodel need to know what distance from range to...
Need help with bathroom ideas!
Redoing our bathroom and I love vessel sinks but haven't...
Help my house is so ugly!!
I need to repaint my house but i don't know what color....
Too cramped, and dark.
I would like a baking center, and a coffee center.
Living Room Furniture placement - NYC apartment
Hi guys! I have been trolling these boards like mad...