How to add durable outside railing?
jedimasterfrancis
December 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is our newly purchased house. I like the look of the door/patio/entry but it has no railing. My parents and in-laws are going to need some good sturdy railing on both sides to help them get in safely, especially in winter- but I want it not to detract from the look of the entranceway. I was thinking some wooden structure painted the same as the house, but on the stone side I'm not sure. Any ideas for something sturdy and good looking?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on your new house. A metal rail would be fine on either side. A wood rail would add a bulky look. The top handrail needs to be grab-able in any event.

The front walkway will probably need to be relaid for better flatness and fewer tripping corners. An all-concrete walkway might be a good choice.
December 21, 2013 at 12:20pm        Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
brickln
I would go with a bluestone walkway to match the slate. Maybe put a trellis like structure mimicking the paneled door between the house and the post. I've also seen some custom, simple wrought iron railings that might work.
December 21, 2013 at 3:49pm        Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
okdokegal
I'd go with cedar posts and grab rail, and put in copper for the verticals. Your door is a warm color and could pick up the cedar beautifully.... you can do DIY rail and verticals with plumbing copper pipe....
December 21, 2013 at 4:23pm      Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
That's only two steps. Any traditional post and rail is going to detract. Find a decorative post ( or 2 ) with a decorative ball / knob fabricated to the top. Maybe tennis ball size or slightly smaller. They just need something to grab onto for balance. Spend the $ and have it / them custom fabricated. Galvanized metal post long enough to be placed 24" deep into the ground and encased in concrete for a very solid placement.
December 21, 2013 at 6:01pm   
PRO
December 21, 2013 at 6:24pm        Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
raineycarole
Great ideas Yarbrough!
December 21, 2013 at 6:59pm   
jedimasterfrancis
A single post might be the least intrusive- good suggestion. Also the wrought iron many had suggested might look better than the wood I was thinking. Since everyone is also suggesting redoing the walkway I wonder how expensive it would be too make a concrete walkway that slowly rises to the porch eliminating the steps...
December 22, 2013 at 6:06am     
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™