How to add durable outside railing?
jedimasterfrancis
This is our newly purchased house. I like the look of the door/patio/entry but it has no railing. My parents and in-laws are going to need some good sturdy railing on both sides to help them get in safely, especially in winter- but I want it not to detract from the look of the entranceway. I was thinking some wooden structure painted the same as the house, but on the stone side I'm not sure. Any ideas for something sturdy and good looking?
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on your new house. A metal rail would be fine on either side. A wood rail would add a bulky look. The top handrail needs to be grab-able in any event.

The front walkway will probably need to be relaid for better flatness and fewer tripping corners. An all-concrete walkway might be a good choice.
December 21, 2013 at 12:20pm        Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
brickln
I would go with a bluestone walkway to match the slate. Maybe put a trellis like structure mimicking the paneled door between the house and the post. I've also seen some custom, simple wrought iron railings that might work.
December 21, 2013 at 3:49pm        Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
okdokegal
I'd go with cedar posts and grab rail, and put in copper for the verticals. Your door is a warm color and could pick up the cedar beautifully.... you can do DIY rail and verticals with plumbing copper pipe....
December 21, 2013 at 4:23pm      Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
That's only two steps. Any traditional post and rail is going to detract. Find a decorative post ( or 2 ) with a decorative ball / knob fabricated to the top. Maybe tennis ball size or slightly smaller. They just need something to grab onto for balance. Spend the $ and have it / them custom fabricated. Galvanized metal post long enough to be placed 24" deep into the ground and encased in concrete for a very solid placement.
December 21, 2013 at 6:01pm   
December 21, 2013 at 6:24pm        Thanked by jedimasterfrancis
raineycarole
Great ideas Yarbrough!
December 21, 2013 at 6:59pm   
jedimasterfrancis
A single post might be the least intrusive- good suggestion. Also the wrought iron many had suggested might look better than the wood I was thinking. Since everyone is also suggesting redoing the walkway I wonder how expensive it would be too make a concrete walkway that slowly rises to the porch eliminating the steps...
December 22, 2013 at 6:06am